Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Or a smarmy oval office who is funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Huzanko posted:

My other guess was that she's dating some MRA dude now like Shoeonhead is. MRA dick must be magical.

I'm unwilling to believe that dating a shithead changes you into a similar shithead; I think that the shitheadedness must have been inside them all along and they only felt free to release it when they realised that they wouldn't lose the person they're with because of it.

And I have to imagine that they're mistaking traditional MRA post-coital clingy neediness as some sort of actual emotional connection, because they're similarly incomplete humans.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Huzanko posted:

My other guess was that she's dating some MRA dude now like Shoeonhead is. MRA dick must be magical.

Wasn't shoeonhead always a clownish dolt though?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Groovelord Neato posted:

link i'd honestly like to read em because i had my own thoughts on the video (because he is wrong on some stuff).

I forgot about this post when the bus I was on broke down and don't feel like rewatching the video or finding my posts. He talks in circles with the lifegem thing. Ultimately I think what he wants is estus you can find refills of off enemies. He doesn't give any justification for grinding blood vials. Also the whole thing is dumb because your weapon will break before you run out of estus as early as lost Bastille if you're good at the game
DS2 is the most hostile to new players imo. DS3 has the hardest starting areas by far, but DS2's mechanics are weirder and more punishing. To put it uncharitably 2 is the most obtuse dark souls. And I think that's why some people are so loyal to it. They put in the time to really master it and 4th edition isn't real dungeon and dragons its like the fighters can cast spells I'm sorry what was I talking about.

After putting another 10 hours into it and watching bomber's video (the best part is when he's dunking on matt he should stick to his strengths) and a response video I concluded that you like dark souls 2 if you like the animations. Rolling feels bad to me. The mace attacks are stupid as hell. I don't like that my character lurches forward instead of using the actual length of their weapon. So the game pushes me to its limits like the fume knight I'm besides myself because I feel like I'm fighting my own character.
In that response video he said he was having more fun on a strength run. Same for me but I think it's because I would one two shot dudes and eight shot some bosses (holy poo poo what), so I playing the game less and went through the feedback loop of ever increasing numbers faster. Soul memory allows for a constant grind.
But that response video said you can get stun locked in 3 unlike 2 which is complete horseshit. In 3 hitstun is designed to let you get out of a combo if you don't have 30 poise you will eat 8 hit combos in 2 its poise system is garbage and makes the better weight system go to waste.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!
This latest video from Contrapoints is such an eerily good exposition of the paradox of debating the alt-right. It reinforces the idea that I already had that this Habermasian theory that rational discourse in politics against ideologically enemies is at all possible is really lacking. I don't wanna live in a society where we must have these types of discussions. This trope of the "Marketplace of Ideas" is utter bullshit because mostly we live in a time and a place where these cultural issues are already framed in a way that gives idiots way too much credibility. There's no way to even begin talking about things like rape culture, race or economics with the "rationals" in a way that doesn't already in some way legitimize their reactionary traumas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPa1wikTd5c

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Lord posted:

Wasn't shoeonhead always a clownish dolt though?

Think she has only been making videos since she's been with Armored Skeptic who is a clownish dolt and much older than her.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fados posted:

This latest video from Contrapoints is such an eerily good exposition of the paradox of debating the alt-right. It reinforces the idea that I already had that this Habermasian theory that rational discourse in politics against ideologically enemies is at all possible is really lacking. I don't wanna live in a society where we must have these types of discussions. This trope of the "Marketplace of Ideas" is utter bullshit because mostly we live in a time and a place where these cultural issues are already framed in a way that gives idiots way too much credibility. There's no way to even begin talking about things like rape culture, race or economics with the "rationals" in a way that doesn't already in some way legitimize their reactionary traumas.

He followed up on that video yesterday with Destiny (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjRWujUXKL8) which I'd highly recommend watching.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Fados posted:

I like that he changes his voice slightly for each character.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I forgot about this post when the bus I was on broke down and don't feel like rewatching the video or finding my posts. He talks in circles with the lifegem thing. Ultimately I think what he wants is estus you can find refills of off enemies. He doesn't give any justification for grinding blood vials. Also the whole thing is dumb because your weapon will break before you run out of estus as early as lost Bastille if you're good at the game
DS2 is the most hostile to new players imo. DS3 has the hardest starting areas by far, but DS2's mechanics are weirder and more punishing. To put it uncharitably 2 is the most obtuse dark souls. And I think that's why some people are so loyal to it. They put in the time to really master it and 4th edition isn't real dungeon and dragons its like the fighters can cast spells I'm sorry what was I talking about.

After putting another 10 hours into it and watching bomber's video (the best part is when he's dunking on matt he should stick to his strengths) and a response video I concluded that you like dark souls 2 if you like the animations. Rolling feels bad to me. The mace attacks are stupid as hell. I don't like that my character lurches forward instead of using the actual length of their weapon. So the game pushes me to its limits like the fume knight I'm besides myself because I feel like I'm fighting my own character.
In that response video he said he was having more fun on a strength run. Same for me but I think it's because I would one two shot dudes and eight shot some bosses (holy poo poo what), so I playing the game less and went through the feedback loop of ever increasing numbers faster. Soul memory allows for a constant grind.
But that response video said you can get stun locked in 3 unlike 2 which is complete horseshit. In 3 hitstun is designed to let you get out of a combo if you don't have 30 poise you will eat 8 hit combos in 2 its poise system is garbage and makes the better weight system go to waste.

yeah when i said he was wrong about stuff the lifegems was the one in particular. same with bloodborne's blood vials - bloodborne is probably the best designed game ever and my personal fave but it sucks poo poo if you're stuck on a boss and your next run you only had like 10 in your stash. should've just refilled to 20 every time you died.

the weapon breaking was because they coded the game dumbly.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Coming across Sargon's old stuff and he reveals himself as a 9/11 truther. Cause you know, he didn't have negative credibility already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgNfH52PG_8&t=206s

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

boner confessor posted:

for the same reason they don't write articles instead of making long rear end videos - they love to hear themselves speak and are convinced of their superior intellects. the audience for people who want lovely vlogs instead of vlogs tends to prefer people speaking instead of reading and understanding the written word, i'll leave the implication hanging

Yeah, I can understand videos being preferable when you actually edit various things into your videos (like HBomberGuy or Contrapoints do) but those who watch the people who literally just sit there talking in front of mic (or, worse, just show a static image of the sound of their own voice) really confuse me.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Archer666 posted:

Coming across Sargon's old stuff and he reveals himself as a 9/11 truther. Cause you know, he didn't have negative credibility already.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgNfH52PG_8&t=206s

It makes sense though. Most of the people I know who are dumb as poo poo believe in conspiracy theories. Not finishing high school and being a 9-11 truther goes hand in hand.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I watch Jim Sterling and he noted there is apparently some "controversy" over Far Cry 5. Don't play FC games but I heard people talk about it on here. Killing militant Christian cultists. Naturally this forum loves stuff like that. I'm more or less indifferent because apparently you'vebeen wiping out various racial/religious groups all series so why not give whitey a turn.

But anyway, Jim's little comment was the first clue I had that anyone was mad at this. I don't even think the typical crowd are mad at this. Shockingly, some people seem to be sticking to their guns ie. "video games don't offend me and are meaningless."

But while seeing a huge load of non-reactions, I did find this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yWEYEQvCEA

I knew from the start when he said "the military supports Infowars and that's why you have to buy things only from INFOWARS STORE " that this was a winner for this thread.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
I will relentlessly mock any gamergaters or anti-SJWs who get upset about the setting and plot of FC5. You don't get to call others 'snowflakes' then pitch a fit when your demographic is portrayed in a less favourable light.

At least the ones who say "Video games don't offend me and are meaningless" are at least being logically consistent in their beliefs.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Man, I wish. Far Cry 5's plot looks generic Far Cry terrible as all hell. Daubing the seven deadly sins on random objects, baptism as murder...the writers thought the story they needed to imitate was Bioshock Infinite. The only basis for thinking they'd do something with white supremacists is that the logo of the baddies looks sort of like the one stormfronters use.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Far Cry 5 seems promising until you remember that it's being published by Ubisoft who would rather watch the world burn than ever do anything innovative or counter-cultural with their games. If Ubisoft made a musical it would be Rent.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
It was kinda funny when some people got pissy that there were also black cultists in FC5.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I dunno, I heard in one of the FC games the bad guy or whoever ask you to just wait around and if you do that and don't investigate, you get an ending like10 minutes into the game.

I thought that sounded pretty cool and different.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
the FC games are repetitive and largely avoid narrative creativity but any mass media is going to have to choose to be innovative and meaninful, or have the broad popular appeal necessary to turn a profit. this is how every AAA game is, it shouldn't be a suprise to anyone

the fact that FC5 uses rural white americans to fill the "religious/political fanatic bad guys" slot is pretty low hanging fruit

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno, I heard in one of the FC games the bad guy or whoever ask you to just wait around and if you do that and don't investigate, you get an ending like10 minutes into the game.

I thought that sounded pretty cool and different.

That was FC4, and it's also objectively the best ending since the main character gets exactly want he wanted all along without getting mixed up in the regional conflict stuff.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose it would be the next logical step in the Far Cry series of games, being games where you go to attractive exotic locations and kill their inhabitants as part of your journey of self discovery.

They have the plot of a teen coming of age movie except the event that prompts the "maybe the thing I was searching for was inside me all along" revelation is killing thousands of people.

So it's a 19th century British landed gentry coming of age movie.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 29, 2017

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
new S&J video slaying that kraut and tea guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4be-OeVrQM

thumbnails extremely on point lately

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

Lovechop posted:

new S&J video slaying that kraut and tea guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4be-OeVrQM

thumbnails extremely on point lately

I guess the only saving grace of the rise of the «Rationals» is that we get some guys to analise their hipocrisy in a clear way like this.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I liked Blood Dragon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av5pqJaIeCk

And I haven't played Primal but it looked like it was the videogame adaptation of Quest for Fire I'd been waiting for all along without knowing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pcGGKtPpSE

Mewnie
Apr 2, 2011

clean dogge
is a
happy dogge
Oh my God this keeps getting better.

:lol:

I hope there's a bumper crop of videos this week.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mewnie posted:

Oh my God this keeps getting better.

:lol:

I hope there's a bumper crop of videos this week.

This...this is satire, right? I mean, I could kind of believe it until
"the continued rejection of romantic partners when they find out our hobby,"

Who would talk like this or admit something like that? Maybe I'm just not used to plumbing the depths of the Internet but I keep my shame or self-pity to myself. Here they proudly list it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The bit that made me think it was satire was:

quote:

Are you scared to do so? In the words of Boltair – “To learn who rules you, simply find out who’s not being criticized.”

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Holy poo poo:

quote:

Have the villains simply be misguided patriots forced into making their own nation vs. the will of an oppressive over-government, construed of all the people they turn their wrath against in their immediate surroundings. Their brutal physical and sexual violence towards their oppressors will then be explained as a reaction to harsh government policies and taxation, to show that both sides are wrong.

I'm dying. I'm dead. If this isn't satire, satire is dead because it is near impossible to lampoon this without just reprinting it as is.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The bit that made me think it was satire was:

Reactos use that phrase without irony any time they're criticized for being racists or misogynists, and especially when antisemitism is involved. It is literally a white-supremacist code phrase like the 14 words, though.

I also agree that petition has to be a joke.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

business hammocks posted:

Reactos use that phrase without irony any time they're criticized for being racists or misogynists, and especially when antisemitism is involved. It is literally a white-supremacist code phrase like the 14 words, though.
They do, but they generally don't attribute it to "Boltair".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Watch out! The Republic of Gamers is on the war path!

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

quote:

Us Gamers have had to endure a lot of crap over the last few years.

poor guys, it must be so hard :(

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Have any of the usual suspects reacted to the Alamo Draft House doing a ladies only showing of Wonder Woman?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
I still laugh every time someone self-identifies as a ~*~gamer~*~.

No poo poo, people including me like wasting a lot of time on games, but basing your whole identity on ~~~ I play computer games ~~~ instead of just saying "gaming is my hobby" is dumb and sad and you should seek professional help.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Please don't sign the petition as a goof.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I know when I find out someone does an extremely mainstream and accepted past time, I romantically reject them.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

blowfish posted:

No poo poo, people including me like wasting a lot of time on games, but basing your whole identity on ~~~ I play computer games ~~~ instead of just saying "gaming is my hobby" is dumb and sad and you should seek professional help.
"Gamer" makes me think of a screechy voiced 13 year old screaming the n-word at strangers. Thus I avoid identifying myself as such.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

blowfish posted:

I can't agree with this enough to be honest. I've never heard someone refer to themselves like this outside of gamers. Even those GODDAMN JOCKS WHO ARE SPORTS NERDS!!!!! don't define themselves by the sports the follow. It's so bizarre.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think Shaun explains it best. It's basically a surrogate identity for being straight white.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The pathology is basically that they feel attacked by the mere existence of discussion of sexism and racism, and so construct an identity that allows them to feel like marginalized outsiders while also allowing them to see women and black people as powerful aggressors denying them an identity.

It's like reverse projection or something--a refusal of reality that involves making yourself into a version of the people that upset you.

• Locked thread