Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

the 360 being ridiculously cheaper than the ps3 seemed like a way bigger factor in why it got ahead that gen, not graphics. and assuming this new xbox is going to be extremely expensive i dont think using the 360 as an example really fits.

sony being passive and assuming they're just going to keep winning would be stupid as gently caress tho so i hope they have some kind of response in the event that the scorpio is better than it sounds like it could be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

revolther posted:

Eh, to maintain supremacy? First gen xbox whomped Sony's rear end hard and even though Playstation has won the last generation and this, if somehow Microsoft doesn't bungle a new console fickle rear end gamers will run to the newest prettiest games.

did you just imply that the original Xbox beat the best selling console in the history of video games?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

rabidsquid posted:

the 360 being ridiculously cheaper than the ps3 seemed like a way bigger factor in why it got ahead that gen, not graphics. and assuming this new xbox is going to be extremely expensive i dont think using the 360 as an example really fits.

sony being passive and assuming they're just going to keep winning would be stupid as gently caress tho so i hope they have some kind of response in the event that the scorpio is better than it sounds like it could be

The XBone is not selling well, has a relatively tiny pool of exclusives, and an extravagantly more expensive model that plays the same games isnt going to help any. Sony really does only have to sit back and watch the whole mess fall over :munch:.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

FireMrshlBill posted:

So basically FF7 remake episode 1 and then the PS5 comes out before future episodes are released, kind of a waste of an exclusivity deal just to sell more PS4's right before a new console is released, probably would piss off that customer base too.

I can say with confidence that the customer base for this game does not give a gently caress when it comes out or for which console and will buy it no matter what.

FF7 is a sacred cow of gaming and there is literally no loving possible way to alienate the fanbase.

revolther posted:

Eh, to maintain supremacy? First gen xbox whomped Sony's rear end hard and even though Playstation has won the last generation and this, if somehow Microsoft doesn't bungle a new console fickle rear end gamers will run to the newest prettiest games.

You must be out of your loving mind.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 30, 2017

revolther
May 27, 2008

morallyobjected posted:

did you just imply that the original Xbox beat the best selling console in the history of video games?
Maybe "rear end whomp" was too strong a phrase.
I'm just saying it split a market Sony was poised to single handedly dominate in a way they still haven't been able to fully recoup and it probably put some fear in them in regards to feature parity for future strategies. I'm sure microsoft will bungle the scorpio just like they are bungling everything else lately, but a lot of people were fine re-buying a breakdown prone microsoft console 9 times and I don't think anyone at Sony predicted it.

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You must be out of your loving mind.

At least it beat the Gamecube!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

revolther posted:

I'm just saying it split a market Sony was poised to single handedly dominate in a way they still haven't been able to fully recoup and it probably put some fear in them in regards to feature parity for future strategies. I'm sure microsoft will bungle the scorpio just like they are bungling everything else lately, but a lot of people were fine re-buying a breakdown prone microsoft console 9 times and I don't think anyone at Sony predicted it.

You have no idea what you are talking about. The PS2 sold 3 times as many units as its competitors combined (Xbox, Dreamcast, Gamecube).

PS2 didn't just single-handedly dominate every competitor, it buried them alive. There is no split marketshare. The PS2 "rear end whomped" every other console in history.

It sold more units than the Nintendo DS for gently caress's sake. The next best selling home console is the PSX, which sold 2/3rds as many units as the PS2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

revolther posted:

Sony has the AAA-tier market now. It also has the indie market, the JRPG market, and 5 years back-catalogue of quality titles in its library. Even the Nintendo Switch has a growing list of coming exclusives, and most of the recent indie releases either on it or on the way.

The XBone has, what? 4-5 major exclusives at this point?

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Also the part where Microsoft has shuttered or sabotaged their relationship with various developers making games for them.
But hey, can't wait for Scalebound to come out soon!

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

HGH posted:

Also the part where Microsoft has shuttered or sabotaged their relationship with various developers making games for them.
But hey, can't wait for Scalebound to come out soon!

Their decisions with this regard are so bizarre, too. Phantom Dust getting an announced remaster three years ago with a CGI trailer that really didn't have a lot to do with the original game suddenly became a ground up remake that they were going to shove micro transactions into and then it was free. Like, kudos for not putting in micro transactions (like they did in other titles like Spore and even Halo), but the game already was sort of a cult classic to begin with. Why go down that road in the first place?

Their messaging is inconsistent and sometimes incoherent and I really feel like they learned the wrong message from the Xbone E3 2013 announcement. They legit seem to believe that the issue with their brand right now is power. They don't seem to get that power alone does not win a console generation. Price matters, exclusives matter, which console releases sooner matters, and customers have to trust you. They burned a lot of goodwill and they're gonna have to work hard to get it back.

Also, when it comes to BC, that has pretty much been the exception and not the rule IME. Personally, I don't care about it and I don't think the market does as loud as people complain about it online. If BC were the automatic boon that people make it out to be, WiiU would have won last gen and Xbone would be making up significant ground now. The original launch PS3 cost so much due to having a PS2 built into it and people did not want to pay for that. If $399 is the magical price point at which a customer can reasonably be expected to buy a new console, native BC may not be possible.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

FF7 is a sacred cow of gaming and there is literally no loving possible way to alienate the fanbase.
If it's just bad as hell or changes the story in some stupid way that crazy FF7 fans really care about (I wouldn't know), I bet it will be cast aside.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
It's like, Halo sold xboxes, and now it doesn't, and they didn't really have a plan for that. And their solution is "Well, we'll just have to have the next halo :smug:"

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I mean now that consoles are going to be AMD x86 APUs for the foreseeable future there is zero excuse for the next gen to not be fully backwards compatible. It's not like they're gonna have to cram wildly different architectures into the same box like with PS2 and PS3 BC. A lot of people are gonna say that they're doing the phone model when the PS5 comes out the year after next and plays all the PS4 games, whether or not there's any validity to that

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!

Snak posted:

It's like, Halo sold xboxes, and now it doesn't, and they didn't really have a plan for that. And their solution is "Well, we'll just have to have the next halo :smug:"

Now that they're sticking exclusives on PC, if the price for Scorpio is as high as expected, there's absolutely no reason to ever buy an Xbox product. My prediction is this thing bombs and MS either gets out entirely or "Xbox" becomes the rebranded Microsoft Games Studio so they can leverage the only 4 games they have.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Snak posted:

Well there's Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2 I guess? We haven't heard anything about them since E3 a couple years ago. Are they even still happening? Nobody knows! I think I'm the only person who owned an Xbox and never gave a single gently caress about Halo. KOTOR and Fable were more my speed and Microsoft has put 0 effort towards that type of game for at least the last 5 years. My major frustration with the Xbox brand is that there seems to be a lack of diversity in the lineup. It's mostly sports, FPS, and racing. That's basically it. They occasionally branch out with something like a Quantum Break or a Sunset Overdrive, but they seem to instantly dump the IP.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morby posted:

Well there's Crackdown 3 and State of Decay 2 I guess? We haven't heard anything about them since E3 a couple years ago. Are they even still happening? Nobody knows! I think I'm the only person who owned an Xbox and never gave a single gently caress about Halo. KOTOR and Fable were more my speed and Microsoft has put 0 effort towards that type of game for at least the last 5 years. My major frustration with the Xbox brand is that there seems to be a lack of diversity in the lineup. It's mostly sports, FPS, and racing. That's basically it. They occasionally branch out with something like a Quantum Break or a Sunset Overdrive, but they seem to instantly dump the IP.

I'm guessing if it doesn't meet Halo/CoD/Battlefield numbers, it goes right in the bin regardless of actual sales/acclaim.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm guessing if it doesn't meet Halo/CoD/Battlefield numbers, it goes right in the bin regardless of actual sales/acclaim.

What first party studios do they have left? The corpses of Bungie and Rare? Sony has developers they lose money on or developers that release mediocre games (looking at Guerilla Games and Killzone) but they let them experiment and branch out (and get support from other developers) and they eventually turn out a hit like HZD. Microsoft doesn't have the patience it seems.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Morby posted:

It really did turn into the MuricaBox once the Xbone came out.

Just GearsHaloForza and very little attempt to branch out into anything else. Anything else even remotely different that comes out seems to have been in development for years now and it just sort of gets released eventually and dies a death or gets cancelled with zero fanfare.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drat thread thanks for reminding me how good Fable 1 was and how subsequently awful every other fable game was

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I didn't really like Fable 1 that much and yet somehow ended up playing all three...

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

fable was a pretty solid game. the second one didn't grab me but I did finish it

I'm not even sure which platform 3 was released on. 360? or was it more recent?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it was 360, the only Fable thing that was announced for Bone got cancelled.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'm not even sure which platform 3 was released on. 360? or was it more recent?

360 and I think PC.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Morby posted:

What first party studios do they have left? The corpses of Bungie and Rare? Sony has developers they lose money on or developers that release mediocre games (looking at Guerilla Games and Killzone) but they let them experiment and branch out (and get support from other developers) and they eventually turn out a hit like HZD. Microsoft doesn't have the patience it seems.

Hell, even Ubisoft lets their guys make their own passion projects. It's how Grow Home and Child of Light exist. I think Rayman Origins actually started out the same way, and just got promoted to a major project iirc.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Hell, the Forza series is the only first party exclusive that hasn't had a major decline in fortunes, and they've diluted it's ability to sell consoles by introducing Play Anywhere. Scorpio is a hail mary attempt and really, trying to win a generation this late in the cycle is bizarre. It'll have a couple years of clear air as the 'most powerful console' before the hype cycle for PS5 completely eats its lunch. It's a slightly bizarro version of Dreamcast vs PS2, and the outcome will be similar.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

spudsbuckley posted:

It really did turn into the MuricaBox once the Xbone came out.

Just GearsHaloForza and very little attempt to branch out into anything else. Anything else even remotely different that comes out seems to have been in development for years now and it just sort of gets released eventually and dies a death or gets cancelled with zero fanfare.

I'd argue they've been the MuricaBox since the end of the 360 years. The only non HaloForzaGears exclusive of note that I can think of off the top of my head is Crackdown 2 which was god awful and didn't capture what people liked about the original game.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Hell, even Ubisoft lets their guys make their own passion projects. It's how Grow Home and Child of Light exist. I think Rayman Origins actually started out the same way, and just got promoted to a major project iirc.

This stuff right here makes me question what the hell Microsoft is doing. Halo has not been your console seller since at least Halo 3 or ODST. MCC was a debacle that really damaged the brand and Halo 4 and 5 didn't seem to inspire confidence. Maybe let Bungie do other poo poo and branch out into something else? Give Master Chief a rest for a year or two and let them do literally anything else?

And Rare is still working on Sea of Thieves, right? I'm not optimistic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Anyone who made Rare the name it is jumped ship. They're literally all at Playtronic now, a company they started themselves.

inSTAALed
Feb 3, 2008

MOP

n'

SLOP

Morby posted:

I'd argue they've been the MuricaBox since the end of the 360 years. The only non HaloForzaGears exclusive of note that I can think of off the top of my head is Crackdown 2 which was god awful and didn't capture what people liked about the original game.

This stuff right here makes me question what the hell Microsoft is doing. Halo has not been your console seller since at least Halo 3 or ODST. MCC was a debacle that really damaged the brand and Halo 4 and 5 didn't seem to inspire confidence. Maybe let Bungie do other poo poo and branch out into something else? Give Master Chief a rest for a year or two and let them do literally anything else?

And Rare is still working on Sea of Thieves, right? I'm not optimistic.

Bungie has been out of the Halo game since Reach (the last good Halo). They do Destiny now.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

inSTAALed posted:

Bungie has been out of the Halo game since Reach (the last good Halo). They do Destiny now.

Aw poo poo you're right! Definitely should have typed 343 there. My bad!

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The weekly Xbox derail in the PS4 thread is going swell.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wipeout's supposed to be out in June right?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Friday The 13th The Game (ha) is awesome. Broken janky weirdness, but it's hilarious.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The weekly Xbox derail in the PS4 thread is going swell.

Switch derail next!

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Here's a list of reasons everyone's excited for the new playstation
  • Developers are sick of too cheap and fast triple A development and demand 4k capable hardware
  • Consumers are tired of their eight months old 1080p TVs and are starting to demand more polys per $$ or they won't buy games
  • Sony is tired of selling $300 boxes with a 15% margin when they could sell $500 boxes with a -10% margin
  • Also something's absolutely really needed to combat all that staggering scorpio hype

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Morby posted:

Switch derail next!

Sony will produce the Switch external optical drive

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I like you, Tijuana.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Sony will produce the Switch external optical drive

haha

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wish Sony would produce a...4k playstation drive 😈

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
There are too many games to play

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'm glad that Injustice 2 is pretty cool so that I can get my rear end beat there in between bouts of getting my rear end beat in For Honor.