Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe
If anyone here is concerned about losing their rights as a European citizen, and believes that a system of 'elective' EU citizenship, where one can presumably pay to retain ones rights, then I would ask you to take a look at this EU Parliament petition: https://www.eucitizen2017.org/
If the arguments put forth by the website appeal to you, then please think about signing the petition by following the link on the site's home page.

Also, I know that my next question is probably a long shot, but is anyone here familiar with the criteria that one must meet to become a citizen of Poland? Is it sufficient to have a Polish grandparent, or are there other conditions that need to be met?

Lord_Adonis fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Darth Walrus posted:

A good sample size is generally considered to be a thousand people. Five hundred for a small section of the population like British Jews could be better, but isn't all that bad.

I never said a sample size of 500 was "bad", I just said it meant that there isn't a statistically significant shift in the Labour support according to the 2015 and 2017 results.

And that's assuming:

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you have a completely random sample

Which I think is a dubious assumption. Pollsters find it incredibly hard to correctly weight their polls for the UK national population despite having reams of demographic data and past polls and elections to base it on.

The main takeaway people should have here is that the binomial confidence intervals are the perfect case scenario in terms of accuracy and in practice underestimate the real margin of error.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

sebzilla posted:

How many streamed it?

Also, apparently J-Corb just suffered a case of the forgotten figures on Women's Hour. Started to look them up on his iPad. How hard is it to have key information about the policy you're on to promote written on a bit of paper as an aide memoire?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Obviously he should have the figures to hand, because after Abbott's misspeak, Labour are going to get torn apart on it (Even though the Tory manifesto is completely uncosted) but if he doesn't have the figrues to hand, then advisnig he's looking to provide the accurate ones in a moment is the correct action.
I'd much rather someone say "I don't have it memorised, and I don't want to quote the wrong number, so bear with me till I confirm the figure"

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I mean, it's still better than the Conservative approach which is to just not bother with figures for anything and say they'll work it out later.

e: also that^^^

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
golders green is where many eastern european jews fleeing soviet persecution wound up

surprise surprise they are not fans of leftism, even when Harold Wilson was PM and british jews generally voted labour

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Unelectable Jeremy Corbyn doesn't want to give misleading figures, what a disgrace unlike Theresa "No-one can promise if it will go up or down in real terms" May.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
Good lord, today's Guardian main online feature article is disgusting. "Jeremy Corbyn unable to put figure on free childcare policy".

Really, Guardian? Really?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

sebzilla posted:

How many streamed it?

Also, apparently J-Corb just suffered a case of the forgotten figures on Women's Hour. Started to look them up on his iPad. How hard is it to have key information about the policy you're on to promote written on a bit of paper as an aide memoire?

Not that it's particularly relevant to this specific post, but I really cannot stand the modern trend in interviewing that's essentially a loving gameshow in which the politicians have to do maths really quickly or test their memory or else they look like a wanker. It's a lazy and uninformative interviewing technique, and it does nothing constructive, but it's funny because look at these arseholes who can't count properly.

It contributes to an utterly unrealistic conception of what politicans are and how party policy is both decided upon and implemented. It also contrbutes to this weird and unhealthy disconnect we have between the realtiy of government (ultimately consensus-driven, despite the authority of any particular PM) and the public perception of our governments, which is increasingly Presidential - the leader (or whoever) did a sum wrong on the telly, these loving idiots can't be trusted because that's the person who's literally writing and executing all the laws personally!
This is a problem for all politicians - Tories get it as much as Labour, and it's dogshit then, too.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Pochoclo posted:

Good lord, today's Guardian main online feature article is disgusting. "Jeremy Corbyn unable to put figure on free childcare policy".

I was just going to post this, they're hilariously determined to not help ARE JEZZA.

It's gonna suck when the tories increase their majority and every paper as far as the eye can see laments that Labour would have won under Owen Smith.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Also, the sample size was 515 so this isn't even a statistically significant shift. I'd also question how easy it really is to get a "representative sample" of such a niche group that accounts for under 0.005% of the UK population. It seems to me that most of the attempts to smear Labour as antisemitic are targeted at middle class white people and not British Jews.

You're right but by my calcs if it was 13.4% it would be a significant change.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you have a completely random sample

^provided this is true.

https://twitter.com/theJeremyVine/status/869452084567060480

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

THE DIMBLELORD has weighed in on Corbyn: “I don’t think anyone could say that Corbyn has had a fair deal at the hands of the press, in a way that the Labour party did when it was more to the centre, but then we generally have a rightwing press.”.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Pochoclo posted:

The Guardian are just crying over the #LibDemFightback being a complete failure.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

ronya posted:

british chinese outnumber british jews by nearly 2:1
And are almost never written about, for whatever reason.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Zephro posted:

The Chinese takeaway down my way when I was little did such good chips that they put the chippy two doors down out of business. Immigration has gone too far! :britain:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Out of interest Miftan what do the people you chat to in Israel think about the orange clown man in the white house? And particularly about him mouthfarting about that Israeli intelligence he leaked like a chump in front of Bibi's horrified face?

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
Someone from the audience did shout at May that Labour's policies were fully costed during last night's 'debate'. As bad as the Tories have been at giving figures it's a bit of a double take to forgive your own guy for doing the same thing. It's not a lot to ask of any prospective prime minister to know the figures on key bits of their policies.

I don't think "It's okay, the Tories do it all the time!" is a particularly attractive hill to die on in defense of Corbyn.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Rakosi posted:

Someone from the audience did shout at May that Labour's policies were fully costed during last night's 'debate'. As bad as the Tories have been at giving figures it's a bit of a double take to forgive your own guy for doing the same thing. It's not a lot to ask of any prospective prime minister to know the figures on key bits of their policies.

I don't think "It's okay, the Tories do it all the time!" is a particularly attractive hill to die on in defense of Corbyn.

Eh, not remembering the figures but having them (literally) to hand if you forget is a significant improvement over simply pulling them out of the ether.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

And particularly about him mouthfarting about that Israeli intelligence he leaked like a chump in front of Bibi's horrified face?
Say what you will about Trump, he's done more for government transparency than Obama ever did.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Zephro posted:

in terms of raw numbers irish migrants to england easily roll all over the others, even the great big muslim south asian demograpic clump

they don't organise politically as such

british chinese tend not to run as councillors or participate much either

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe
Is it just me or, whenever a Brexit question is asked of any politician, they reply with reheated platitudes and soundbites? Why is Brexit not discussed in more concrete terms in the Tory or Labour manifestos? Where are the anticipated costings for the expansion of the Department for Brexit, or the hundreds of lawyers, consultants and negotiators that will need to be hired? Where are the policies for protecting the UK, should it crash out of the EU without a deal- how much money is to be allocated to protecting vital sectors of the economy and public services should that happen? Where are the plans to mitigate the effects of citizens of the EU 27 leaving their jobs in Britain? How about plans to ensure that HGVs don't stack up on our side of the Channel Tunnel, should crashing out immediately throw up barriers to trade? It is all very well to hope for success with a tepid slogan like 'red, white and blue brexit'- but it is smarter to plan for failure, which if the rhetoric from May and Davis is accurate, seems likely.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Oberleutnant posted:

The Chinese takeaway down my way when I was little did such good chips that they put the chippy two doors down out of business. Immigration has gone too far! :britain:

chinese takeaway chips are so good. for some reason, what passed for a chinese in my family was rice, chips and curry sauce. heaven, though.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Darth Walrus posted:

Eh, not remembering the figures but having them (literally) to hand if you forget is a significant improvement over simply pulling them out of the ether.

Heck, quickly Googling up some figures is something I do when making arguments all the time. I'd far rather do that and give someone a good argument backed with accurate information, than make up a number, or say something limp like, "Well, I don't have the figures here" when it would be ten seconds work to get them.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tesseraction posted:

Out of interest Miftan what do the people you chat to in Israel think about the orange clown man in the white house? And particularly about him mouthfarting about that Israeli intelligence he leaked like a chump in front of Bibi's horrified face?

I haven't heard specific blowback over it, nothing that lasted more than 1 news cycle anyway. People are generally either very happy with him because he's a racist butt clown, or absolutely horrified. I'd imagine mostly happy since Israel is more right wing than the UK. if anything, israel will be pissed as hell at the uk trying to steal their 51st state title. I think the government might be a bit more worried behind closed doors, but they can't say or do anything that'll jeopardise US support, especially with how volatile trump is and some of his opinions shifting towards giving the Palestinians a state and all that sort of stuff he's said during his tour in the area. Take this all with a grain of salt as I'm not that well versed in the Israeli right anymore, only got 1 contact there.

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe

ronya posted:

in terms of raw numbers irish migrants to england easily roll all over the others, even the great big muslim south asian demograpic clump

they don't organise politically as such

british chinese tend not to run as councillors or participate much either

I suppose it is partly due to the degree of assimilation and mixing that those Irish immigrants and their descendants engaged in- I am an example of this as my maternal great-grandparents were both Irish.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Rakosi posted:

They're two separate issues, stop being disingenuous. Corbyn couldn't remember policy numbers off the top of his head that were costed, the Tories just didn't bother costing a load of stuff at all.

Lord_Adonis posted:

Is it just me or, whenever a Brexit question is asked of any politician, they reply with reheated platitudes and soundbites? Why is Brexit not discussed in more concrete terms in the Tory or Labour manifestos? Where are the anticipated costings for the expansion of the Department for Brexit, or the hundreds of lawyers, consultants and negotiators that will need to be hired? Where are the policies for protecting the UK, should it crash out of the EU without a deal- how much money is to be allocated to protecting vital sectors of the economy and public services should that happen? Where are the plans to mitigate the effects of citizens of the EU 27 leaving their jobs in Britain? How about plans to ensure that HGVs don't stack up on our side of the Channel Tunnel, should crashing out immediately throw up barriers to trade? It is all very well to hope for success with a tepid slogan like 'red, white and blue brexit'- but it is smarter to plan for failure, which if the rhetoric from May and Davis is accurate, seems likely.

Because the whole Tory Brexit coalition is based on the fact that May and Britain and going to dictate terms to Europe, because BRITANE STRONG. May cannot show an ounce of weakness in this regard or her coalition will loving eviscerate her, even as she is driving the country off a cliff.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
meanwhile in america

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/869503804307275776

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Judging by what Merkel's been saying recently, he's not exactly wrong there, just not really right in the way he wants to be either.

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe

Rakosi posted:

As a consequence of Brexit, I doubt that the policies of either the Tories or Labour could be said to be fully costed. If we crash out without a deal, the pound tanks, trade deficit widens, inflation rises and national credit rating falls, any spending plans that existed prior to this will be thrown out of the window as the government rededicates its funds to just barely keep afloat. I doubt that even Corbyn, with the best will in the world, could stick to Labour's spending pledges in this event.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lovechop posted:

chinese takeaway chips are so good. for some reason, what passed for a chinese in my family was rice, chips and curry sauce. heaven, though.

Salt and pepper chips are the absolute truth.

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe

MikeCrotch posted:

Because the whole Tory Brexit coalition is based on the fact that May and Britain and going to dictate terms to Europe, because BRITANE STRONG. May cannot show an ounce of weakness in this regard or her coalition will loving eviscerate her, even as she is driving the country off a cliff.

That is certainly part of it, but Labour seem to be as evasive about these Brexit issues as the Tories (Without the antagonistic rhetoric of course).

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Rakosi posted:

There is a difference between forgetting figures that have been drawn up and not knowing the figures because they don't exist.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Lord_Adonis posted:

That is certainly part of it, but Labour seem to be as evasive about these Brexit issues as the Tories (Without the antagonistic rhetoric of course).

Because there's literally no good way of ensuring these things and attempting to explain that would be essentially arguing against Brexit, which would be incredibly unpopular. Labour aren't going to jump on that landmine voluntarily.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Lol someone counted the times Paxman interrupted Corbyn vs the time he interrupted May.

https://twitter.com/brucemicklewri1/status/869298036341604353

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Chinese communities in Britain seeeeeeeeem to conform to all the stereotypes of non-integration and non-assimilation that the right vomits at Middle Eastern and South Asian communities in this country, and it's weird because nobody cares or feels threatened by the existence of entire chinatowns with dual-language street signage, and non-english storefronts, and entire streets full of people who aren't white or speaking english.
It's not a big deal at all, although I bet in the 70s ad 80s skinheads were throwing a loving fit about it. Nowadas it's cool af to have a little slice of a foreign culture right there on your doorstep where you can try new and different foods and just experience something that isn't quite the same monotonous, grey monoculture.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Oberleutnant posted:

Not that it's particularly relevant to this specific post, but I really cannot stand the modern trend in interviewing that's essentially a loving gameshow in which the politicians have to do maths really quickly or test their memory or else they look like a wanker. It's a lazy and uninformative interviewing technique, and it does nothing constructive, but it's funny because look at these arseholes who can't count properly.
It is stupid but it's sort of inevitable given that 99% of politicians loving refuse to give a clear answer to even a basic loving question, so asking a point-blank question on specific numbers is about the only way to pin these greasy motherfuckers down on anything (or make it plain as day when they still try to wriggle away). I think it's the same reason we saw Paxo yelling over Corbyn while he was actually trying to answer his questions yesterday; he's so used to everybody trying to weasel out of answering as a matter of course that interrupting the first four answers he hears is just a reflex.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

It's not a big deal at all, although I bet in the 70s ad 80s skinheads were throwing a loving fit about it.
Back then it was all about the (South) 'Asian invasion' of Ugandan Indians being kicked out by Idi Amin. I'm sure there was no love for the Chinese but the hot take among the racist shithead community was all about how people wearing saris and vermilion on their forehead were going to ruin the country by cooking spicy food and having a billion children. Chinatowns seemed to slip by almost unnoticed.

Lord_Adonis
Mar 2, 2015

by Smythe

josh04 posted:

Because there's literally no good way of ensuring these things and attempting to explain that would be essentially arguing against Brexit, which would be incredibly unpopular. Labour aren't going to jump on that landmine voluntarily.

If one were arguing against the Brexit project as a whole, then I would agree that this would be unpopular. However, surely the voting public would see the value in Labour being prepared to plan for the worst case in detail, whilst otherwise maintaining the rhetoric that hopes for Brexit to be a success. Surely the voting public can see the difference between criticising and obstructing Brexit in principle, and criticism of some of the details of the practical implementation of Brexit, with plans drawn up on the basis of those criticisms? I doubt that many of the public want to see the UK crash out of the EU without a deal and suffer the economic consequences? As such, I would have thought that some contingency planning for this event would have gone down well with voters? However, if it is the case that this sort of thing cannot be discussed for reasons of Public Relations and Electoral Politics, then the British voting public really are in trouble. In that case, I guess that the best we can hope for is that some Civil Servants have taken it upon themselves to draw up tentative plans that could be actioned by a Minister in the event of a Brexit crisis.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Lord_Adonis posted:

If one were arguing against the Brexit project as a whole, then I would agree that this would be unpopular. However, surely the voting public would see the value in Labour being prepared to plan for the worst case in detail, whilst otherwise maintaining the rhetoric that hopes for Brexit to be a success. Surely the voting public can see the difference between criticising and obstructing Brexit in principle, and criticism of some of the details of the practical implementation of Brexit, with plans drawn up on the basis of those criticisms? I doubt that many of the public want to see the UK crash out of the EU without a deal and suffer the economic consequences? As such, I would have thought that some contingency planning for this event would have gone down well with voters? However, if it is the case that this sort of thing cannot be discussed for reasons of Public Relations and Electoral Politics, then the British voting public really are in trouble. In that case, I guess that the best we can hope for is that some Civil Servants have taken it upon themselves to draw up tentative plans that could be actioned by a Minister in the event of a Brexit crisis.

The only cheers the Prime Minister managed on last nights debate was by repeating "No deal is better than a bad deal" over and over.
I don't share your confidence that a party leader discussing how Brexit could, in theory, be bad, would ever be taken well by hat portion of the populace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll4-Ihafp3w

• Locked thread