Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
The best way is to just put your 32x on a cdx and only need two adapters. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

So am I mistaken or is the RetroDC just objectively better than the Trio other than price? I've been waiting for the latter to become available for forever but the RetroDC seems appealing with the added bonus of more versatility and not having the brick at the end.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think everyone interested in gaming would be a lot happier if they get rid of the concept of a backlog. When the 360 was (and still is) being clearanced at GameStop I collected a ton of games for it in their 3 for $10 sales. I have a big 360 backlog. I then acquired a backlog for Wii U as well towards the end of its run. And like anyone with a humble bundle account, I have a massive steam library.

I was all stressed out about how I would ever get through all those 360 and Wii U games before I tackled my growing PS4 library and/or bought a switch.

I realized I'll never get through it. We live in an age of GameStop discounts, gamefly closeouts, redbox sales, steam sales, humble bundles, Xbox live and psn sales, eBay, Amazon, all of it. It's waaaay easier to acquire games than it is for the average adult to play them.

Once you stop thinking about it as "a backlog I have to get through" and start thinking of it as "a big selection of games to choose from and play for a while" it becomes much less stressful. This hobby shouldn't be stressful.

These days I look at it as I have a bunch of 360 games to play if I feel like it, and that's as far as I take it. If I don't get through all 3 Mass Effect games, in not worried about it.

True. Ya, maybe the break/hiatus and coming back with a new perspective will help. It definitely gets worse as you get older and have more money to spend. You go back and buy games you sold in the past, and games you wanted to play at some point but didn't have time for. You see all these "top 10" lists and videos and you fill out the "must plays" for each console you have and it gets out of hand. PSN sales, Steam sales, GOG sales, Humble Bundle...

Ya, I think I need to stay away from Youtube channels and whatnot, stop finding new things to play. It is pretty easy to get to a point of option paralysis. I had a ton of NES games and PC games in the early 90's, so we just skipped the SNES all together and I was ok with that. Even for my N64, I had Goldeneye alone from Xmas to my b-day a few months later and enjoyed the heck out of it. My sister got FF7 on the PC (we didn't have a PS1 yet since I wanted the N64 instead after seeing Goldeneye), and I played that for a long time as well in a gap between games. As a kid, you just get new games for birthdays and xmas, maybe your siblings will get games you want to play as well. Maybe use your birthday money or allowance on a new game in between. Just have a handful of games makes you appreciate them more I guess. Now with so many games, its easy for me to drop 15 hours into one game and then start another and repeat, and having a bunch of games I haven't beat.

Now I am thinking if I just spent that 15 hours each game playing my guitar, working out, reading, learning to code, something... especially for those games I played and couldn't remember one thing about them other than playing it.

Ofecks posted:

I've been there. 10 years ago I sold off the last of my gaming stuff. I traded them in for gaming PCs and I feel that has been the right decision, since those can do a lot more than just game.

I'd say keep the consoles, especially if you have modded stuff. Store them properly for future everdrive/CDR usage. But sell the games. Maybe keep the SNES ones that can't be everdrived? Definitely sell the PVM if you can get $250+ for it.

Ya, I haven't built a gaming PC in a few years, and was planning to in 2018 and maybe jump into VR stuff. My steam, GOG and Humble Bundle libraries are enough. Add on my PS+ freebies and PSN sales, as well as XB Gold freebies (rarely buy anything on XB since it was my least favorite of the consoles), I could sell all my physical and still have a huge backlog of digital content.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Retrogame thread, I come to you today to drink your tears and feast on your jealousy, for I have two words and one emoticon for you:

Tengen. Tetris. :10bux:

Uh huh. Let's see, I think I still have your address somewhere from a goon gift thing a few years ago. You're still in the area, right? What time are you away from home for an extended period of time?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Hahahaha holy poo poo people are dumb

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162500999217

Found this in sold items after looking up how much tengen Tetris usually goes for.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

Retrogame thread, I come to you today to drink your tears and feast on your jealousy, for I have two words and one emoticon for you:

Tengen. Tetris. :10bux:

u motherfuckre

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I had no idea Tengen Tetris was such a hot item but considering it:
- is an unlicensed game that was actually good
- was recalled soon after release.
- played a part in Videogame Legal History

I guess it isn't surprising?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Heran Bago posted:

Using Super Mario World to install a code handler and real-time hex editor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ixu8tn__91E

This is SO loving cool. I'm going to see if I can't load this into my own SMW cart because god drat that is so loving cool.

I've always wanted more ability to execute arbitrary code inside old games. There's so much modding potential...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
I DID IT!

Running on real hardware, legit cartridge on legit snes console, and I have a hex editor on Super Mario World. This is way too loving cool :allears:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Zaphod42 posted:

I DID IT!

Running on real hardware, legit cartridge on legit snes console, and I have a hex editor on Super Mario World. This is way too loving cool :allears:

How hard was it? Judging from your posts' timestamps it couldn't have taken you much more than 15 minutes.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
If I want to mod my Saturn and get that ram pack thing in the OP where's a good place to buy those things? Link in OP is no good anymore.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

How hard was it? Judging from your posts' timestamps it couldn't have taken you much more than 15 minutes.

Super easy since I just used my Retron 5 to load up somebody's already modified save file :cheeky: Funny enough the hack doesn't work properly on emulator or the retron itself. I imagine they probably don't handle resetting the RAM the same way a real console does, which is integral for the hack. I've heard some emulators will work, but Snes9x and the Retron both failed. But I loaded the save onto the cart using the retron, then popped the cart in a real SNES, and booyah.

If you actually tried to do one of the two manual entering methods, I would imagine it would be quite the pain in the rear end, although very impressive that its possible.

There's also a 3rd method where you use a donor cart that's already hacked and then reset and load another cart to pass the hack, but that requires a pre-hacked cart so not an option for most people who don't have a friend already set up with it.

But if you have a system like a retron that can read and write cart saves, you're golden :)

This is really really impressive because its a soft hack, in theory I can simply erase the save file whenever I want and the mod would be totally deleted automatically, with no damage to the cart. Use at your own risk, obviously, as its possible you can gently caress up your save files or maybe even permanently brick your cart somehow... but I don't think so. I think worst case you just gently caress up your saves and lose the hack, and have to erase and start over from a blank SMW state basically.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 30, 2017

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
After 10 minutes, Tetris was boring af. I think we linked up once only on the OG Game Boy too. Dr. Mario really was my preferred puzzle game

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

My Atari Lynx haul

The top Lynx has a perfect screen on it (well, ok, one dead pixel). The screen on the bottom one is pretty buggered, at least a third of it screen is covered in dead pixels. Gonna put a newer LCD screen in that one.

Got a good haul of games. It's missing games like Rampage and Blue Lightning, otherwise a good selection of Lynx games.

Boxes for some of the games, and a manual for RoadBlasters

Also got a Lynx carry bag which I forgot to take a photo of

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Ah the good ol TCG Binder Page trick for storing handheld games, I know it well.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

falz posted:

It's the only one I'm aware of. I got mine a few years ago, I understand that it went up a lot in price since then so unsure if worth the $.

Edit: Id love to do some large modular DC power system for all sorts of consoles, I started working on a spreadsheet of specs a few years ago but as of yet it hasn't gone further.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eebnSYFixxxPeojx8rjmKHl6TZgsvYiiBvAUoMrE__I/

I could have swore someone in the last thread made a power strip for all of their consoles and had a switch for each console they could just flip to power them on.

Alucardd posted:

An alternative is the RetroDC which can also be used almost as a universal adapter as well. He only makes them in preorder batches which the next one is in August:
http://retrodcpowered.com/?i=1

I only got mine last week but it works great so far for my Gen 1+CD 2 combo.

I was considering adding extension cables and whatnot to connect more of my consoles.

This is awesome, thanks! Sucks it's not available until August but since the Sega Trio is perpetually out of stock I guess I'll have to wait.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

lol that someone thought Xenophobe was a good name for a game. Lookin forward to Xenophobe 2: Racist

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

HAT FETISH posted:

lol that someone thought Xenophobe was a good name for a game. Lookin forward to Xenophobe 2: Racist

That game is great, and that name is pretty perfect for a mostly-goofy game in which a pack of underpowered dorks go up against the dollar-store version of the xenomorphs from the Alien franchise.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

That game is great, and that name is pretty perfect for a mostly-goofy game in which a pack of underpowered dorks go up against the dollar-store version of the xenomorphs from the Alien franchise.

Counterpoint: Xenophobe is a bad game in any of its incarnations with an especially terrible control scheme.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Fight me at Zendocon.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

Taken me nearly three days to rearrange two rooms, still plenty to do. But I had a break and decided to whip together a shitbox out of left over parts, then see if I could hook it up to my old flatscreen CRT I had laying around. The result is loving rad. I just need some 80's/90's cartoons / movies transferred across to the box and I'm set up. The screen is amazingly crisp for its age and I forgot what it was like to run MAME and consoles on a proper CRT. I've got it setup with MAME, NES, SNES, SMS and MD [Genesis] all in Maximus Arcade using a Logitech gamepad. My old stick only sees XP for drivers and I'm running Win 7 x64 on this for speed. My phones photos are terrible, but I'll have some proper camera photos of everything to share once it's all finished up.

:getin:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Gorgolflox posted:

I could have swore someone in the last thread made a power strip for all of their consoles and had a switch for each console they could just flip to power them on.

This is awesome, thanks! Sucks it's not available until August but since the Sega Trio is perpetually out of stock I guess I'll have to wait.
Maybe, but that would likely be a huge power strip with a billion wall warts, vs one big wall wart to fan out to their consoles.

Yeah, like that ^ !

So the trio itsself doesn't feel that well built, its extremely light unlike older wall warts. Perhaps something got modernized with that tech or something. It seems like if someone found the right parts on Mouser/ Digikey they could be made in to kit form easily.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Random Stranger posted:

Counterpoint: Xenophobe is a bad game in any of its incarnations with an especially terrible control scheme.

I think it's super fun once you learn the controls and what you're supposed to do. They were being a bit ambitious with the context-sensitive buttons, but it really allows you to do a lot of neat stuff. There's definitely a hell of a learning curve, but I think it's worth it - plus, it's got some of the best examples of the house style of Bally Midway graphics/music at that time.

I'm sure playing it in MAME has shaped my appreciation for it, since I'm able to reconfigure the inputs in a way that feels more intuitive. I don't think killing every xeno is possible beyond, like, the first and maybe second bases while playing solo, so my strategy is to Not Get Hurt, find the self-destruct code, and haul rear end to the computer room and just blow up the base.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

HAT FETISH posted:

Xenophobe is whatever, I still don't understand what Konami was thinking when they named Contra.

Yeah, so I've got this game about two ripped action heroes fighting cyborgs and Giger aliens in the jungle. It's called ISIL.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

H1KE posted:

Taken me nearly three days to rearrange two rooms, still plenty to do. But I had a break and decided to whip together a shitbox out of left over parts, then see if I could hook it up to my old flatscreen CRT I had laying around. The result is loving rad. I just need some 80's/90's cartoons / movies transferred across to the box and I'm set up. The screen is amazingly crisp for its age and I forgot what it was like to run MAME and consoles on a proper CRT. I've got it setup with MAME, NES, SNES, SMS and MD [Genesis] all in Maximus Arcade using a Logitech gamepad. My old stick only sees XP for drivers and I'm running Win 7 x64 on this for speed. My phones photos are terrible, but I'll have some proper camera photos of everything to share once it's all finished up.

:getin:

Have you checked if your stick will behave with 32-bit Win7? That might be an option.

H1KE
May 7, 2007

Somehow, I don't think they'd approve the franchise...

univbee posted:

Have you checked if your stick will behave with 32-bit Win7? That might be an option.

I went searching for drivers to see if it was a 64-bit issue.

"Supported Operating Systems
Windows 2003 (64 bit), Windows XP, Windows XP (64 bit), Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows 98SE, Windows 98"

:( I was thinking about buying a stick, but at the prices they go for, I may just end up building my own and customising it instead.

E: And the CRT just went rainbow and started to stretch. Bummer. False alarm, it was a lovely 'green' powerboard that was loving everything up.

H1KE fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 30, 2017

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

H1KE posted:

I went searching for drivers to see if it was a 64-bit issue.

"Supported Operating Systems
Windows 2003 (64 bit), Windows XP, Windows XP (64 bit), Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows 98SE, Windows 98"

:( I was thinking about buying a stick, but at the prices they go for, I may just end up building my own and customising it instead.

ymmv but it may be possible to edit the ini file to force it to recognized win7 as an ok os for the driver. you may get blue screens out the rear end, but then again it may work.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

FireMrshlBill posted:

True. Ya, maybe the break/hiatus and coming back with a new perspective will help. It definitely gets worse as you get older and have more money to spend. You go back and buy games you sold in the past, and games you wanted to play at some point but didn't have time for. You see all these "top 10" lists and videos and you fill out the "must plays" for each console you have and it gets out of hand. PSN sales, Steam sales, GOG sales, Humble Bundle...

Ya, I think I need to stay away from Youtube channels and whatnot, stop finding new things to play. It is pretty easy to get to a point of option paralysis. I had a ton of NES games and PC games in the early 90's, so we just skipped the SNES all together and I was ok with that. Even for my N64, I had Goldeneye alone from Xmas to my b-day a few months later and enjoyed the heck out of it. My sister got FF7 on the PC (we didn't have a PS1 yet since I wanted the N64 instead after seeing Goldeneye), and I played that for a long time as well in a gap between games. As a kid, you just get new games for birthdays and xmas, maybe your siblings will get games you want to play as well. Maybe use your birthday money or allowance on a new game in between. Just have a handful of games makes you appreciate them more I guess. Now with so many games, its easy for me to drop 15 hours into one game and then start another and repeat, and having a bunch of games I haven't beat.

Now I am thinking if I just spent that 15 hours each game playing my guitar, working out, reading, learning to code, something... especially for those games I played and couldn't remember one thing about them other than playing it.

Ya, I haven't built a gaming PC in a few years, and was planning to in 2018 and maybe jump into VR stuff. My steam, GOG and Humble Bundle libraries are enough. Add on my PS+ freebies and PSN sales, as well as XB Gold freebies (rarely buy anything on XB since it was my least favorite of the consoles), I could sell all my physical and still have a huge backlog of digital content.

I did something extremely goon and let the gods choose. I have a huge PS4 backlog, physical and digital, and got tired of looking at it. So I just went to random.org, did 1-X, and was off to the races. Ive played some games I probably wouldnt have given a second thought and it's been a pleasant surprise. If I were do this with my retro collection, however...

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Is there any "official" backstory to Guile's voice from Super Street Fighter 2 [and Turbo] being not only retconned but hilariously overcompensated for in modern interpretations of the character?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Is there any "official" backstory to Guile's voice from Super Street Fighter 2 [and Turbo] being not only retconned but hilariously overcompensated for in modern interpretations of the character?

I'm positive all the male voice samples in Street Fighter 2, and by proxy all versions of SF2, are the same guy. The announcer goes from deep in the original to soft in Super/Turbo and most of the characters match the change.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I asked the same a while back. Most of the other samples are really similar, but Guile and the Announcer have a really noticeable shift.

I'm wondering if the samples were too low res for them to be reused. It's actually part of the reason why David Hayter needed to redub a lot of his work when The Twin Snakes was made-- the GC sound hardware brought out a lot of stuff from the old masters that the PS1 glossed over (like traffic noise from outside the studio they recorded in).

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

al-azad posted:

I'm positive all the male voice samples in Street Fighter 2, and by proxy all versions of SF2, are the same guy. The announcer goes from deep in the original to soft in Super/Turbo and most of the characters match the change.

FilthyImp posted:

I asked the same a while back. Most of the other samples are really similar, but Guile and the Announcer have a really noticeable shift.

I'm wondering if the samples were too low res for them to be reused. It's actually part of the reason why David Hayter needed to redub a lot of his work when The Twin Snakes was made-- the GC sound hardware brought out a lot of stuff from the old masters that the PS1 glossed over (like traffic noise from outside the studio they recorded in).

I don't doubt the connection between "Announcer" and "Male voice cast", but holy poo poo the sheer backpedal on Guile is unmistakable. They went as far back as they had to to use his voice sample that didn't sound "BEWM!", and every voice actor they've cast since has laid all kinds of pipe to let us know "GUILE MASCULINE".

Edit: I guess as far as "official story" goes, I was hoping something like the tall tale about how Igarashi choked a dude when he found out about the English dub of "WHAT IS A MAN".

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 31, 2017

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

FireMrshlBill posted:

As a kid, you just get new games for birthdays and xmas, maybe your siblings will get games you want to play as well. Maybe use your birthday money or allowance on a new game in between. Just have a handful of games makes you appreciate them more I guess.

This was true for me when it came to getting full-priced, hyped-up games within a month of release. I'd get two or three a year as a kid.

Yet I remember how every department store had rows of older games for under twenty bucks, and that was well within the boundaries of a few weeks' allowance. I built up a huge NES library in a few years by grabbing stuff from the Toys R Us and Kay-Bee clearance sections. Sometimes I discovered a new favorite (Crystalis) and sometimes it was a disappointment (Batman, Mission: Impossible), but I got a brand new game every other month. And this was before I discovered that some stores sold USED games even cheaper.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Batman for the NES is good, though.

I mean, it gets stupid hard by level 3, but it's still a pretty solid game.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Crystalis and Clash at Demonhead were two of my most played games, and none of my friends had ever heard of them.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

falz posted:

Maybe, but that would likely be a huge power strip with a billion wall warts, vs one big wall wart to fan out to their consoles.

It was pretty big but it was all hardwired in, so no wall warts or anything like that. I wish I could remember who posted it because I always thought it was a neat idea.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Everyone made fun of me because I played Mischief Makers over Goldeneye. Well who's laughing now in 2017???

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

al-azad posted:

Everyone made fun of me because I played Mischief Makers over Goldeneye. Well who's laughing now in 2017???

Shake-shake, good buddy! :hfive:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I'm going with all the people with the incorrect opinion that Goldeneye is a good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Goldeneye is a good game.

(That said, Doom 64 was obviously where N64 FPS action was at)

• Locked thread