Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

Oh god no. I like him on QI, but his stand up is atrocious.

Wait, he's the guy who has audience members throw random things on stage and he makes "jokes" about them, right? If so, yeah, he's awful.

edit: I should note I don't think he's actually being chosen. It's clearly a joke. I just wanted to poo poo on his stand up.

Ross Noble is amazing, but works best in smaller venues.

One of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life was Ross showing up to a late show at the Rhino Room during the Adelaide Fringe and doing a 45 minute spot most of which was audience interaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Yeah, it's not The Doctor.

https://twitter.com/realrossnoble/status/855316097481924609

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Gaz-L posted:

the choice is aggressively 'safe' to the point that they're likely handicapping Chibnall before he can even get out of the gate

This is really what I'm most worried about. It feels like they're giving him an ultimatum and setting him up to fail.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Posting this mostly for poo poo and giggles because I don't think the Nerdist is very credible, but one source of theirs claims the next Doctor is going to be Michaela Coel

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Not gonna lie, she's both a really great actress (and writer!) and I think she'd be a fantastic, really oddball choice.

Of course, they'll never cast a female Doctor who'd be so radically different (and not just because she's, you know, not white, but I think that's part of it). We'd be more likely to get a Maggie Steed or an Alice Lowe or whoever, someone who's a dependable, bankable name.

I'm personally leaning towards them casting Jonathan Bailey -- he's young, physically he's a David Tennant type (which is apparently what the BBC are looking for) but he's got Matt Smith's energy, he's not tied down to anything right now and he's worked with Chibnall before. He's not who I'd choose, but I think the BBC would see him as very marketable.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Posting this mostly for poo poo and giggles because I don't think the Nerdist is very credible, but one source of theirs claims the next Doctor is going to be Michaela Coel

https://twitter.com/MichaelaCoel/status/855431949967659008

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I've only ever seen her in a tiny role in Black Mirror, but it seems like she's done a lot of interesting work. I'd be on board, in whatever alternate universe Nerdist exists in where it's an actual possibility.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Did Capaldi ever deny it the last time?

I suppose as a pro-wrestling fan I'm just inherently skeptical of performers denying they're doing something because in that world, those denials are as likely to mean they are DEFINITELY doing that thing as they are to be sincere.

If I was Chibnall, I'd be pushing for the most oddball, controversial choice possible, because the more news and Daily Mail outrage you can stir up, the more eyes are liable to be on the Series 11 premiere, and I assume he's writing that. Basically, given the rumours, I'd want that attention because I'd have my best, most amazing Who story that I'd been working on for YEARS ready to go and just give me ONE chance and I'll hook the biggest audience ever.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gaz-L posted:

As I recall, Capaldi wasn't even thought to be in the running until like a week before his announcement (because he had so vocally turned down the invitation to audition for the 1996 movie), and then like the day before the announcement special the bookies froze betting on him. People weren't expecting a cranky old Doctor after Smith had just spent several years playing a cranky old Doctor in a young man's body.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Discussions I've seen elsewhere online have been very strange because they've been quite consistent in their insistence that Capaldi was "always the favourite" before he was cast when I'm fairly sure he hadn't really been considered as a possibility until just before he was announced; I distinctly remember not really hearing about him until a few days before he was actually officially announced and I'd been following the speculation somewhat closely. I remember Ben Daniels, Paterson Joseph and other usual suspects being discussed from the moment Smith said he was going, but not Capaldi, not straight away at least. I'm very curious where this revisionism comes from; I'm not sure what it's supposed to serve. :shrug:

One other thing I wonder about is how Tilda Swinton is always mentioned. I assume it is because it seems like such an obvious choice, but has it ever actually been realistic? She's always seemed like too big a name to me. I'll always remember when Tennant quit and Smith hadn't been announced, there was this big spread in the Daily Mail speculating about who could be next and it was the usual suspects... and Catherine Zeta-Jones, which struck me as plainly unrealistic.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Maxine Peake struck me as the choice they'd go with if they actually wanted Swinton.

I'm almost mad about this Coel thing, actually, because she's not someone I've seen much of, and hadn't occurred to me, but now seems like such a slam dunk choice that they'll never do it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Gaz-L posted:

The next Doctor is not a black woman.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

PriorMarcus posted:

The next Doctor is not a black woman.

Oh gently caress off, you know that's not what was said.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Well yeah, the next Doctor is Jackson Lake.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

I really didn't mean my response to come across as antagonistic, but you're reaction tells me if did. Sorry.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Is that a hint?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

The_Doctor posted:

He's saying it's not Michaela Coel, which is what this conversation is basically about. She denied it, so someone asked if Capaldi ever denied it. He took it back to the original point.

I don't know what you're so angry about.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Wheezle posted:

Are they saying the Cybermen appearing throughout the classic series are something different?

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah, it's an over-correction (especially since Mondasian Cybermen have been in the revival as well - there are only like two serials with the other kind.

From Tomb onwards they're from Telos, with it being referred to as their home planet up until Attack decided to make them merely invaders.

Dabir posted:

who said it's steven moffat's episodes that are poo poo

Me! (But not exclusively, there are other poo poo ones too)

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Who among us doesn't want to see the Doctor telling Bill to EAT YOUR loving NUGGETS

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

From Tomb onwards they're from Telos, with it being referred to as their home planet up until Attack decided to make them merely invaders.

Ah, whoops. My mistake.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

6 - Extremis (Written by Steven Moffat and Directed by Daniel Nettheim; Guest Star: Michelle Gomez)

"They read The Veritas - and chose hell."

In the Haereticum (the Vatican's secret library of blasphemy) there is an ancient book known only as The Veritas. Throughout history, anyone who has ever read it has immediately taken their own life. Now a new translation is online, and the danger is spreading. The Vatican appeals to the Doctor. Will he read The Veritas? But can even the Doctor survive the ultimate truth?

7 - The Pyramid at the End of the World (Written by Peter Harness and Steven Moffat and Directed by Daniel Nettheim)

"Fear is inefficient. We must be loved."

A 5,000-year-old pyramid stands at the centre of a war zone, where the Chinese, Russian and American armies are about to clash. There are many problems with that, but the one that intrigues the Doctor is this: there wasn't a pyramid there yesterday. The Doctor, Bill and Nardole face and alien invasion unlike any other - before conquest can begin, these alines need the consent of the human race.

8 - The Lie of the Land (Written by Toby Whithouse and Directed by Wayne Yip)

"I'm sorry, Bill, I really wanted to make you see!"
"Oh my God, this is real. You're really doing this!"

The world is gripped by a mass delusion and only Bill Potts can see the truth. When even the Doctor is fighting on the wrong side, it's up to Bill to convince the Time Lord that humanity is in deadly danger. And if she can't do that, she may just have to kill her best friend.

reading these back, i really like that they didn't hint at 3 parter

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It seems like that regeneration shot in the trailer comes from the next episode, so I'm imagining there's a massive reset button at some point.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I'm waiting for the "It's a simulation within a simulation" twist

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Quick! Doctor, Bill, take off your clothes!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I for one am wondering what Moffat will pull out as a surprise for his final episode? I mean we know we're getting Mondasian Cybermen and John Simm Master. But we also knew we were getting War and 10 and the CGI other Doctors in the Anniversary Specials. But there was some poo poo NOBODY saw coming, like McGann coming back for the short, and the gobsmacker of The Curator. We had watched all that awesome multidoc action and we thought "well that was great there's no topping that and it's the end of the episOMG IT'S TOM loving BAKER HOLY poo poo WHY AM I CRYING RIGHT NOW".

Now you know Moffat is saving some ace up his sleeve that nobody has leaked. Will it be more Masters as rumored, perhaps CGI Delgado or Ainley? Beevers or Pratt in updated makeup? Derek Jacobi? Or something even more off the wall? He's got to go balls out for his and Capaldi's last episode for sure.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Except we totally knew about Tom's cameo, cause Tom gave an interview where he said "they told me not to tell anyone. But I'm Tom Baker and I do what I want. I'm in the 50th"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

jivjov posted:

Except we totally knew about Tom's cameo, cause Tom gave an interview where he said "they told me not to tell anyone. But I'm Tom Baker and I do what I want. I'm in the 50th"

I remember thinking "I should dislike him for this, because the cast and crew have worked really hard not leak spoilers so it will be a surprise for people," but that was literally what he literally just said "I'm not supposed to tell anyone, but I'm doing it anyway," and I only was excited about it.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
His actual appearance still managed to surprise me. I'd half forgotten about it anyway and I don't think anybody expected the specifics of what happened.

E: Also I note Michelle Gomez' name is missing from next week's episode on that list above.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

His actual appearance still managed to surprise me. I'd half forgotten about it anyway and I don't think anybody expected the specifics of what happened.

Yeah, when it got to the end and his voice just bellowed out, I suddenly remembered again. I know the whole scene was nonsensical and cryptic, but who cares? It was just great to see him on screen again for a few minutes, being Tom Baker (i.e. the Doctor).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bicyclops posted:

I remember thinking "I should dislike him for this, because the cast and crew have worked really hard not leak spoilers so it will be a surprise for people," but that was literally what he literally just said "I'm not supposed to tell anyone, but I'm doing it anyway," and I only was excited about it.

Yeah, it's hard to be mad about cameo spoilers when the spoiler is the subject of the cameo

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Astroman posted:

Now you know Moffat is saving some ace up his sleeve that nobody has leaked. Will it be more Masters as rumored, perhaps CGI Delgado or Ainley? Beevers or Pratt in updated makeup? Derek Jacobi? Or something even more off the wall? He's got to go balls out for his and Capaldi's last episode for sure.

i'm hoping it will be in the vein of tennant visiting all the companions from the rtd years.

Capaldi just seeing all the moffat era companions and not giving a poo poo really.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
One thing I always hoped was that Amy and Rory would come back for some climactic episode and when the subject of them never being able to see the Doctor again came up they'd say "yeah in New York, so we got on a plane"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

It definitely helped that his cameo came at the very end. As the episode wore on and he hadn't yet appeared, I had begun to chock it up to Tom being Tom and exaggerating about the 4th Doc footage used in the battle and then BAM, Tom loving Baker as The Curator. It was perfect.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I think I've rewatched the 50th Special more than any other Who story. It's just so, so good.

"You know, I really think you might!" :allears:

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
CAN'T BELIEVE I LEFT AND MISSED A WAYNE YIP DIRECTED EPISODE

echoplex fucked around with this message at 08:59 on May 30, 2017

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

BSam posted:

i'm hoping it will be in the vein of tennant visiting all the companions from the rtd years.

Capaldi just seeing all the moffat era companions and not giving a poo poo really.

Yeah. Whatever criticism you have of RTD his cast of side characters was much beloved and memorable than Moffats. I can't imagine anyone giving a poo poo about Capaldi visiting anyone.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Who can forget those classic characters: Mickey, Jackie, the pavement slab woman,

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

2house2fly posted:

Who can forget those classic characters: Mickey, Jackie, the pavement slab woman,

The best companion Tennant said goodbye to in that episode wasn't even an RTD companion.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's just because he was travelling with Wilf at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Timby posted:

The best companion Tennant said goodbye to in that episode wasn't even an RTD companion.

If you mean Sarah Jane then yes but if you mean Jack then he was an RTD companion even if he was introduced in a Moffat episode.

• Locked thread