Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What's with the weird reactions to Dinesh getting slapped. He clearly stepped over a personal line where it was no longer playful bickering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Snak posted:

I don't even remember him in that. Who was he?

The guy in the grindcore band.

Also holy poo poo the VR guy was Haley Joel Osment?

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 29, 2017

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

MiddleOne posted:

What's with the weird reactions to Dinesh getting slapped. He clearly stepped over a personal line where it was no longer playful bickering.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
TJ Miller was also great on Gravity Falls as Robbie.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
TJ Miller was best in Cloverfield.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

priznat posted:

I read some interview with Miller where he was going on about how his wife is a true artist and ordinary plebs wouldn't understand or something and he came off as quite a dingus.

He was on a podcast a year or so ago talking about talking about how he had a brain tumor and needed some radical surgery with a low survival rate. I can imagine why he wouldn't be interested in Hollywood anymore.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

TJ Miller was great in Extract.
I saw that in theaters and don't remember much of it, except for JK Simmons and the weird neighbor. It wasn't bad, but the strength of Mike Judge creations is memorable characters, and that movie just didn't have them.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

red19fire posted:

He was on a podcast a year or so ago talking about talking about how he had a brain tumor and needed some radical surgery with a low survival rate. I can imagine why he wouldn't be interested in Hollywood anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf9N5AWprG8

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Regarding Dinesh and Gilfoyle this episode: I thought the phone thing was funny, but I like them best when they're both riffing on each other. It's gotten more skewed towards Gilfoyle lately, though.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

Shooting Blanks posted:

And that wasn't funny either.

You just brought piss to a poo poo-fight!!

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Shooting Blanks posted:

And that wasn't funny either.

Trigger Warning: gently caress you.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I can only imagine that's basically exactly how it went down with the Uber driver he assaulted too. Just a sudden yell of that and then a slap. It makes the scene both more and less funny.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I like how they keep updating their parody site to keep up with the season

http://www.piedpiper.com/

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Shut it down, guys. Shut it all down.

https://www.wired.com/2017/05/silicon-valley-stereotypes/

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

That seems pretty even-handed to me. I think their concerns make sense, and "the writers should think this through" is not "everyone is a monster, cancel right now."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Jian Yang's presentation has been "tempered' but by the fact that Erlich is the only person​ who treats him like a racist stereotype, which is nm in character for Erlich.

They need to figure out wther Jian Yang is going to be a one-note stereotype joke, or a more full fledged commentary on a real aspect of Silicon Valley.

Like, I think that Jian Yang's character isn't any more offensive​ than any of the other stereotypes portrayed, but whether I continue to feel that way depends on whether he gets any character growth.

Like, I honestly think he's a really sympathetic character so far. The perspective that his original idea for SeaFood, thatbhe wanted to share make an app to share his families recioes for octopus, isn't dumb all. Erlich thinks it's dumb because it's not profitable, which Erlich views as a betreyal. But we've met Erlich, do we really think he's the victim in whatever the initial circumstances of Jian Yang's move-in were?

I think the writers have a lot of room to grow Jian Yang as a character, especially considering thay most of his characterization so far has been through the lens of Erlich Bachman.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Jian Yang is cool and I hope he gets some more character development.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I love articles that don't even try to get comments from the writers or actors. Here's a quote from Jimmy Yang about how his character is an expression of his experience as an East Asian immigrant to America:
"I asked Jimmy O. Yang whether he had qualms about playing a character who speaks broken English in Silicon Valley. "I did have an accent," he said. "I moved here when I was 13, and I went to school with guys like that, I was a guy like that. Jian Yang was me ten years ago. Real people have accents. I don't judge them. I just try to play the role as realistically and truthfully as possible.""

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

theflyingexecutive posted:

I love articles that don't even try to get comments from the writers or actors. Here's a quote from Jimmy Yang about how his character is an expression of his experience as an East Asian immigrant to America:
"I asked Jimmy O. Yang whether he had qualms about playing a character who speaks broken English in Silicon Valley. "I did have an accent," he said. "I moved here when I was 13, and I went to school with guys like that, I was a guy like that. Jian Yang was me ten years ago. Real people have accents. I don't judge them. I just try to play the role as realistically and truthfully as possible.""

So were there other questions in that interview that were relevant? The Wired article had nothing to do with accents.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Well there's no specific response because the author posted a hot take masquerading as journalism

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

The article was not about whether the actor of Jian Yang was ok with the show's portrayal of his character.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Rexides posted:

The article was not about whether the actor of Jian Yang was ok with the show's portrayal of his character.

That's correct, but the actor has as valid of an opinion as anyone as to why the character isn't necissarily a racist stereotype.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Rexides posted:

If that article can blithely cherrypick supporting facts, I can too except I'm a random internet rear end in a top hat and not trying to pass off my dumb posts on a legit news site

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Snak posted:

That's correct, but the actor has as valid of an opinion as anyone as to why the character isn't necissarily a racist stereotype.

Lol "as valid". Pretty sure people who actually work on a piece of art have a better viewpoint than a career critic

Aardark
Aug 5, 2004

by Lowtax
Exactly. The Room is truly a masterpiece.

Whale Vomit
Nov 10, 2004

starving in the belly of a whale
its ribs are ceiling beams
its guts are carpeting
I guess we have some time to kill
Most of the think pieces posing as news or editorial are not written by journalists interested in an exploring the cultural impact of nmedia. They're written by authors who only want to espouse their opinions, such as why something they disagree with is "problematic"; thereby giving their idea some credibility only because it's published on the internet.

Websites like Slate just want daily content. They don't care how will founded the ideas in the pieces they publish are as long as it somehow fits in with their editorial view point.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I'm not even sure it's about fitting an editorial view point unless that view point is generating clicks, which a mildly controversial article is going to do.

I don't think anything of the entire situation. Jian Yang represents Jian Yang, not an entire culture. I don't watch him and think "this is all Chinese people" since I am not 4 years old.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I don't think anything of the entire situation. Jian Yang represents Jian Yang, not an entire culture. I don't watch him and think "this is all Chinese people" since I am not 4 years old.

Yeah sorry but in a show where every character is pretty much a caricature of an aspect of Silicon Valley culture, that doesn't really fly.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Not sure you're in a position to tell me how to watch this show.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
It's a fair critique of the show and the broader issue of packing racist punchlines into the mouths of heinous characters, which still allows for everyone to laugh at racism (but then say "it's ironic" or "yeah but you're not supposed to like that guy!").

The author is also not saying that any of these characters represent their entire race/ethnicity. Their question is why the show ended up neatly placing Asian and Asian American characters into stereotypes. The author even says that they don't believe the showrunners are intentionally doing it.

I wish the author had brought up Ed Chen or Denpok, though. Denpok is particularly interesting because he's milking the racist ideas of his peers and Gavin in order to carve out a pretty good life for himself. And Ed Chen may be a cutthroat Silicon bro, but he's clearly smart.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
Jin yang is hugely probrematic. I'm not surprised if gamer gate would defend it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
You can't sand the corners off of comedy for the sake of sensitivity. A lot of comedy comes from awkward cultural bits like racism; and equally comedy allows us to discuss issues like racism in the real world that they're parodying. As soon as racism is dead in reality then we can start taking issue with its perpetuation in comedy.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

i am the bird posted:

It's a fair critique of the show and the broader issue of packing racist punchlines into the mouths of heinous characters, which still allows for everyone to laugh at racism (but then say "it's ironic" or "yeah but you're not supposed to like that guy!").

The author is also not saying that any of these characters represent their entire race/ethnicity. Their question is why the show ended up neatly placing Asian and Asian American characters into stereotypes. The author even says that they don't believe the showrunners are intentionally doing it.

I wish the author had brought up Ed Chen or Denpok, though. Denpok is particularly interesting because he's milking the racist ideas of his peers and Gavin in order to carve out a pretty good life for himself. And Ed Chen may be a cutthroat Silicon bro, but he's clearly smart.

We have no idea because the piece was farted out on ten minutes with no editorial review and no request for comment from the actors, writers, producers, nor showrunners. Also like you pointed out, she ignores anything that doesn't support her hot take

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I hope Silicon Valley goes on for another ten years so that the Slates and Jezebels of the internet continue to impotently gnash their teeth over a funny show.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

We have no idea because the piece was farted out on ten minutes with no editorial review and no request for comment from the actors, writers, producers, nor showrunners. Also like you pointed out, she ignores anything that doesn't support her hot take

Lol "as valid". Pretty sure people who actually work on a piece of art have a better viewpoint than a career critic

If that article can blithely cherrypick supporting facts, I can too except I'm a random internet rear end in a top hat and not trying to pass off my dumb posts on a legit news site

Well there's no specific response because the author posted a hot take masquerading as journalism

are you ok? It's just a blog post

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

SHOAH NUFF posted:

are you ok? It's just a blog post
are you ok? it's just someone's prerogative to post as much as they care to.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
No doubt. I just enjoy seeing pasty rear end goons like you get red faced over a stranger's opinion on a TV show

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Who said anyone was red faced? All I see is a group of people posting their opinions. What else you got?

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Did they ever say who Laurie's baby daddy is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

maskenfreiheit posted:

Did they ever say who Laurie's baby daddy is?

No, but considering it's apparently her fourth kid, she's probably married or cloning herself or something.

• Locked thread