Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

I would watch an adventure-of-the-week season of Leftovers where Kevin is just thrust into a different scenario every episode when het gets drowned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Leftovers has always been a little egregious with the cuts to older scenes but this was definitely the worst.

What an episode, though! drat! Although Kevin's overall arc over the course of the series does seem a little wobbly.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Willeh posted:

I would watch an adventure-of-the-week season of Leftovers where Kevin is just thrust into a different scenario every episode when het gets drowned.

It could be called Quantum Leak; he helps people through drowning himself. And just as he's wrapped up this week's problem, he starts coughing up water...

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Escobarbarian posted:

What an episode, though! drat! Although Kevin's overall arc over the course of the series does seem a little wobbly.

What makes you say that? His central internal conflict in this episode goes right back to the conversation he had with his dad in seasone one's "The Garveys At Their Best", the starting point for his whole story.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, my tone was quite insufferable. I guess I shouldn't ragepost immediately after watching the episode.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Pfff.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

oliwan posted:

Yeah, my tone was quite insufferable. I guess I shouldn't ragepost immediately after watching the episode.

:haw:

Willeh
Jun 25, 2003

God hates a coward

Escobarbarian posted:

Leftovers has always been a little egregious with the cuts to older scenes but this was definitely the worst.

They really need to connect this episode to what happened after the Hotel evac/ bombing thing.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

oliwan posted:

Why would you ragepost about something that is so clearly and simply above your plebeian mind?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Lord Krangdar posted:

What makes you say that? His central internal conflict in this episode goes right back to the conversation he had with his dad in seasone one's "The Garveys At Their Best", the starting point for his whole story.
I'm kind of getting whiplash with the Kevin and Nora story. When the Homeward Bound scene happened I was totally in and thought this relationship is so important, then when they blow up in G'Day Melbourne I figured, hmm, I assumed they belonged together but were they really just codependent and using one another and it was an unhealthy thing all along? Wow, maybe so! But then fastforward and Dead Kevin is having his Homeward Bound 2.0 moment... so it's like oh, uhh, even though their relationship actually is pretty hosed up he really does love Nora and just lost his head in the moment during that fight, or just ran away because he's a coward. Okay...

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 13:27 on May 30, 2017

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
You don't think hosed up people in a hosed up relationship can love each other?

And I don't really know what "belonging together" has to do with anything, in this show or in real life.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Hansen85 posted:

This is more the rule than the exception. Amazing how hosed up people (Alcoholic-enabler, abuser-codependent, etc.) find each other, it's like radar.

ricro
Dec 22, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

Why would you ragepost about something that is so clearly and simply above your plebeian mind?

He was sincere, now you guys are being the dicks FYI

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

SlipkPIe posted:

He was sincere, now you guys are being the dicks FYI

Probably so, but when you come into a conversation throwing around your education credentials and slinging conclusory statements as gospel while at the same time demanding everyone else to support their opinions, you get what you get.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Hansen85 posted:

And I don't really know what "belonging together" has to do with anything, in this show or in real life.
I do, but i'm saying my perception of this relationship is being bounced around like a pinball each time we see it, and I'm getting whiplash

Aexo
May 16, 2007
Don't ask, I don't know how to pronounce my name either.
As someone who really didn't fanboy over the International Assassin episode (also thought s1>s2), I'm surprised I enjoyed the latest episode so much. This last episode has to be my favorite so far. I'm so bummed this show is over in one more week.

Canadian Surf Club posted:

Felt like that episode could have been the series finale itself. "What do we do now?" as the lingering note the show leaves on literally and thematically

Me too!

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
It feels like they've set me (us) up with kinda knowing the general vein in which this all turns out (e.g. "What do we do now?" (i.e. "It was all bullshit wasn't it?"))... but knowing this show, and knowing there's one episode left, I'm hoping it's a total fake-out the likes of which we cannot even conceive and every drat thing we ever thought will be utterly turned on its mother loving ear.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 30, 2017

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Aexo posted:

(also thought s1>s2)

Now THAT is rebellious.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Fast Luck posted:

I'm kind of getting whiplash with the Kevin and Nora story. When the Homeward Bound scene happened I was totally in and thought this relationship is so important, then when they blow up in G'Day Melbourne I figured, hmm, I assumed they belonged together but were they really just codependent and using one another and it was an unhealthy thing all along? Wow, maybe so! But then fastforward and Dead Kevin is having his Homeward Bound 2.0 moment... so it's like oh, uhh, even though their relationship actually is pretty hosed up he really does love Nora and just lost his head in the moment during that fight, or just ran away because he's a coward. Okay...

It's not just about him and Nora, since he also sabotaged his marriage to Laurie the same way.

But as for his relationship with Nora, I think its not one way or the other; it has the potential to be healthy but both of them have a similar major flaw holding them back. Kevin self-sabotages because he's afraid of vulnerability, and because he feels like he has to act all the time and he resents that (like how he decided to hide his smoking from Laurie and then blame her for it). With Nora he was able to be more honest at first, but then when his problems got too out-there for her that changed and never went back.

On the other hand Nora self-sabotages because some part of her secretly likes being "Nora Cursed"; she likes being a perpetual victim and is afraid to ever move on from that. Think back to one of the very first scenes we see of her where she purposely knocks her coffee over in a cafe just to get a bit of sympathy from the waiter.

So now Kevin has confronted his flaws and is as ready as he'll ever be to try again with her. Maybe it will take a lot longer for her to do the same (hence Old Nora/Sarah).

Wiggly
Aug 26, 2000

Number one on the ice, number one in my heart
Fun Shoe
Was this posted?

https://twitter.com/LucAltair/status/869353664858775553

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I still prefer the original working title, "A Full Explanation for The Departure That Is Both Physically and Religiously Satisfying".

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Uhh, I don't wanna be that guy, but some of us avoid even episode titles for a reason.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Uhh, I don't wanna be that guy, but some of us avoid even episode titles for a reason.

Keep going, you're living up to your username!

For real, though, how is that remotely a spoiler? Did you not catch the ending of 301? It just means the episode focuses on Nora.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Keep going, you're living up to your username!

For real, though, how is that remotely a spoiler? Did you not catch the ending of 301? It just means the episode focuses on Nora.

Yeah, ok... duh me. Feeling stupid now. Of course the finale would be mostly Nora-centric, and yeah nothing was really given away. Sorry. I've been awake for like 29 hours, which would have been nothing to me 20 years ago. But now? Feelin' pretty loopy. Again, sorry, and carry on! :salute:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hipster_Doofus posted:

Yeah, ok... duh me. Feeling stupid now. Of course the finale would be mostly Nora-centric, and yeah nothing was really given away. Sorry. I've been awake for like 29 hours, which would have been nothing to me 20 years ago. But now? Feelin' pretty loopy. Again, sorry, and carry on! :salute:

I feel your pain. I have a newborn, so aside from a few examples, I'm watching all of these shows while rocking a baby, the captions on, sound off, and a white noise machine playing. I'm so tired :negative:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The Ninth Layer posted:

Kevin's secret bunker code is 6969.

That was my favorite joke of the episode.

Was really hoping for some hot Kevin on Kevin action when he finally confronted himself, much like Walter and David from Alien: Covenant.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Invalid Validation posted:

I think the flashbacks have been a little much this season, I don't know why there is so much of it when there wasn't any need for it in season 2.

Yeah, I think you're misremembering cause there was a ton of quick-cut flashbacks in Season 2.

Escobarbarian posted:

but this was definitely the worst.

I kind of appreciated it this episode, if I didn't listen to podcasts I would have had no idea that the dude on the bridge was Aussie Jesus.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Looten Plunder posted:

Yeah, I think you're misremembering cause there was a ton of quick-cut flashbacks in Season 2.

I kind of appreciated it this episode, if I didn't listen to podcasts I would have had no idea that the dude on the bridge was Aussie Jesus.

Any recommendations for podcasts that talk about the Leftovers? I've only listened to Lindelof episodes of the Watch but would love some more stuff. Especially if it's whole episodes about the Leftovers or episodes of the show!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Any recommendations for podcasts that talk about the Leftovers? I've only listened to Lindelof episodes of the Watch but would love some more stuff. Especially if it's whole episodes about the Leftovers or episodes of the show!

The main one I listen to is on Post Show Recaps by Josh Wigler and Antonio Mazzaro of RHAP/Survivor fame.
http://postshowrecaps.com/category/the-leftovers-2/

I also recommend the Better Call Saul Podcast on that channel too if you are sick of the self congratulatory meanderings of the official one.

And then I just watch Chirs Hartwells recap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

ruddiger posted:

That was my favorite joke of the episode.

Was really hoping for some hot Kevin on Kevin action when he finally confronted himself, much like Walter and David from Alien: Covenant.

I mean he did put his entire hand inside him...

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

To the English prof guy complaining about the two Kevins being a tired device: even though one Kevin was sent to assassinate the other, they didn't actually represent different sides to him or parts of his personality. In fact Kevin basically just had one consciousness throughout and jumped that consciousness from one Kevin to the other. When they came into the same room together they basically were on the same page, agreed on everything, etc

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

5 RING SHRIMP posted:

Bald move is the best podcast out of all the ones i tried.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I didn't really like it as an episode, but I guess I can appreciate it in the greater context of the season. Everyone realized that they are batshit insane and got completely wrapped up in some very dumb nonsense. It's very similar to how Matt got to kidnap and interrogate off-brand God on the boat earlier, with the same cathartic result. Would have accepted this as show finale, if it weren't for Nora's unfinished plot.

Also, if this had been the series finale it would have fit in perfectly with the season opening scene. Human nature is to go insane and end up on roofs, waiting for the end of the world. We really, really like to get all worked up about idiotic poo poo.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Both this episode's opening and the one with the French guy quietly praying made me realize how unsettling Season 2's opening is without the peppy country song.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Vanderdeath posted:

Both this episode's opening and the one with the French guy quietly praying made me realize how unsettling Season 2's opening is without the peppy country song.

I hope they bring it back for the finale!!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Last Chance posted:

I hope they bring it back for the finale!!

stoops
Jun 11, 2001
Can anyone get me a screenshot of the last page of the romance novel he was reading?

I thought it didn't match up with what he actually read. I'm curious if that's a mistake or if he just stopped reading.

Also, any significance of URN (Untitled Romance Novel) and with what Nora was saying at the beginning of wanting to be cremated?

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

JethroMcB posted:

Leftovers has always been a little heavy on the "Quick cut to thing you probably remember" (Most egregious in my book: Matt sees the body of the guy who beat him up, broke his hand, stole his car AND credentials to get into Miracle, and the show gives you a flashback to that very event which happened not half an hour ago. Just in case you didn't remember what drove the entire plot of the episode!)

I honestly don't mind them in a show this dense.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

stoops posted:

Can anyone get me a screenshot of the last page of the romance novel he was reading?

I thought it didn't match up with what he actually read. I'm curious if that's a mistake or if he just stopped reading.

You are correct.

The highlighted lines are the ones he didn't read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Dave posted:

You are correct.

The highlighted lines are the ones he didn't read.

Where is this from?

• Locked thread