Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

What do you mean by 'admitted'? That implies I've described her in positive terms in the past, which is something that hasn't happened.

I don't really care what you admit, just show me all the coverage where May has been criticised over her performance last night, then you can show me there isn't any bias.
Shouldn't be hard, what with there being no bias, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Oberleutnant posted:

Chinese communities in Britain seeeeeeeeem to conform to all the stereotypes of non-integration and non-assimilation that the right vomits at Middle Eastern and South Asian communities in this country, and it's weird because nobody cares or feels threatened by the existence of entire chinatowns with dual-language street signage, and non-english storefronts, and entire streets full of people who aren't white or speaking english.
It's not a big deal at all, although I bet in the 70s ad 80s skinheads were throwing a loving fit about it. Nowadas it's cool af to have a little slice of a foreign culture right there on your doorstep where you can try new and different foods and just experience something that isn't quite the same monotonous, grey monoculture.
It sort of feels like anti-Irish sentiment in that the Chinese have been around for a long time (my gran used to talk about memories of taking washing to a Chinese laundry when she was a little girl, which would be 90+ years ago by now) and so people have just got used to it by now. Plus also they've found new and exciting people to be racist about. But it is very striking, yeah, and that's basically what I was getting at with my post

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

What's great about this is how no deal is basically the worst possible outcome and nobody is calling her out on it.

"Give me what I want or I'll shoot myself in the face."
I suppose negotiating like a suicide threatening incel is a form of negotiation...

Her approach, and the consistent, repeated applause it got, plus the restructuring of the entire Tory election campaign as a Theresa May personality cult, is genuinely a little scary.

The old adage about Fascism is that it needs an enemy, and it particularly needs an enemy who is paradoxically both an existential threat to your society (because you need to justify the acquisition of more and more power to protect people against it), while also being weak, contemptible, and laughable because the fascist identity is based around inherent superiority.
The EU is apparently an existential threat to Britain (see all the talking points about sovereignity, "taking back control", unrestricted mass migration, blah bah), but also weak enough that May and the rest of the Tories can stoke the national ego by saying they'll tell the EU to go gently caress itself if we don't like the deal. This sort of rhetoric really tickles the fash notion that we are still basically the big dog and can do whatever we want, and it's disconcerting to hear that sort of talk getting the biggest cheers last night.

And this is all getting bound up with May making the entire project about her. She wants the power, it's not a party or a government anymore, it's her and her team.

I mean thankfully it seems like the shittest, most incompetent attempt at doing a fascism in history, but god damnit she's trying.

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/869506124063625221
https://twitter.com/220_d_92_20/status/869510943243476992
https://twitter.com/JohnRentoul/status/869511391203512320

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

May has announced since the u-turn on Dementia Tax that she's going to open up a discussion about capping the amount chargeable.

I just want someone to ask her if "no cap is better than a bad cap".

EDIT: At the above tweets ^^ - If my choices are buy a car, or swim to China, then your damned right I'm going to buy a car.
I'll tell the man selling them I want a lovely efficient saloon with all the bells and whistles, but if worst comes to worst, I'll walk away with a Yaris.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Don't Lol me posted:

I don't really care what you admit, just show me all the coverage where May has been criticised over her performance last night, then you can show me there isn't any bias.
Shouldn't be hard, what with there being no bias, right?

May is poor but her performance simply wasn't that bad, certainly not bad enough to warrant the sort of coverage that would satisfy you. It will have left her supporters happy in the same way Corbyn's did for you.

Don't Lol me
Sep 6, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

May is poor but her performance simply wasn't that bad, certainly not bad enough to warrant the sort of coverage that would satisfy you. It will have left her supporters happy in the same way Corbyn's did for you.

Good talk, a lack of proof confirms what I thought, I did find it hard to find anything in the usual right wing rags, and it was all praising May.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
Really doubt many watched the debate live. The Sky news youtube only had like 30k viewers.

So all people will have to go on is what they're told in the papers...and the papers are just going with JC having an obviously embarrassing fumble on the radio anyway :v:

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Mackers posted:

Really doubt many watched the debate live. The Sky news youtube only had like 30k viewers.

So all people will have to go on is what they're told in the papers...and the papers are just going with JC having an obviously embarrassing fumble on the radio anyway :v:

It was about three million apparently, which is a lot higher than I would have thought.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

nopantsjack posted:

or since they're getting rid of term lengths, any time May feels like it

they say they're repealing the stupid FTPA. not getting rid of the 5 year upper limit alltogether

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Mackers posted:

Really doubt many watched the debate live.

I didn't. Feeling pretty lonely ITT today.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Fixed term legislatures with an allowance for early elections in the event of a loss of confidence seem to work well under the Westminster model in Canada and Australia. Really the worst part of the FTPA is that it allowed calling a snap election 'because everyone feels like it' rather than requiring the loss of confidence of the House.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/869532150760165377

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
https://twitter.com/AndrewDEvans/status/869298358007062528

lol

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Eh, flexible dissolutions also allow prime ministers to move for elections to secure majorities for key constitutional legislation that they know could not pass that could be seen as a loss of confidence (not in a formal way) and force a resignation but not trigger a dissolution of parliament - allowing them to move to call elections to build support to embolden action rather than cautiously not advancing legislation allows for a bit more divisive action.

The FTPA is dumb cause it was designed purely to underwrite the coalition cause the lib dems though the Tories would stab them in the back

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Guavanaut posted:

Really the worst part of the FTPA is that it allowed calling a snap election 'because everyone feels like it' rather than requiring the loss of confidence of the House.

I see your point, because no opposition can vote against an election, so it needs to be hard for the government to call for one.

Nevertheless I think the worst part of the FTPA is that it set on 5 years, which is too long and helps MPs get away with anything, knowing that it'll be water under the bridge by the election and that letting the other side in for 5 years is too awful to contemplate. The Chartist demand for annual parliaments made a lot of sense.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Oh dear me posted:

I see your point, because no opposition can vote against an election, so it needs to be hard for the government to call for one.

Nevertheless I think the worst part of the FTPA is that it set on 5 years, which is too long and helps MPs get away with anything, knowing that it'll be water under the bridge by the election and that letting the other side in for 5 years is too awful to contemplate. The Chartist demand for annual parliaments made a lot of sense.
Christ can you imagine a progressive government trying to get anything done in a year? Nothing would get done, ever.
This is basically saying "we recognise this entire system is hosed, but rather than enact substantial reforms we'll just make sure nobody is in power long enough to do anything".
It's a fine policy for when your political system is otherwise healthy and stable, but ours really isn't, and all it'll do is preserve it in amber as the parties squabble endlessly and forever, achieving nothing.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

nopantsjack posted:

What's great about this is how no deal is basically the worst possible outcome and nobody is calling her out on it.

I suppose negotiating like a suicide threatening incel is a form of negotiation...
It's Deal Or No Deal rules. If the banker lowballs you then the Strong Position is to refuse his deal and open your box because you might win a million quid!!!

Edit: I would fully support Brexit if it was a televised event where every week May picks up a red telephone and Barnier tells her what the divorce settlement is going to cost.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I can't even imagine 5 year terms. In 5 years we went through 4 prime ministers here.
If you want to imagine 5 year terms, imagine a boot stamping on a human face forever. And every five years the human face beams and yells "I TRUST THIS STRONG AND STABLE BOOT WITH OUR ECONOMY"

TACD fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 30, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
I can't even imagine 5 year terms. In 5 years we went through 4 prime ministers here.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oh dear me posted:

This is crazy. One of the biggest criticisms of politics is that it's almost impossible to get commitment on projects that need long term investment because they have a five year horizon. You'd need an annual spending review as well, except by the time you'd prepared the review and gotten the relevant departments to impact it you'd have a new government in.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Oberleutnant posted:

Christ can you imagine a progressive government trying to get anything done in a year? Nothing would get done, ever.

Well yes I can actually, and then they would generally be reelected (as governments are). Governments don't do everything in their last years, indeed I'd have said they tended to run out of steam. I have no figures with which to support my argument, but: Human Rights Act 1998, National Minimum Wage Act 1998, National Health Service Act 1946, Sex Discrimination Act 1975...

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

I'm sure in years to come a Twitter gif war between sovereign states won't seem surreal, but for now :wtc:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Oh dear me posted:

Well yes I can actually, and then they would generally be reelected (as governments are). Governments don't do everything in their last years, indeed I'd have said they tended to run out of steam. I have no figures with which to support my argument, but: Human Rights Act 1998, National Minimum Wage Act 1998, National Health Service Act 1946, Sex Discrimination Act 1975...

Giving up a couple of months every year for a new election campaign would severely hamper any government's ability to legislate.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

With any luck we'll be through three in a single year. :unsmigghh:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Oh dear me posted:

Well I admire your optimism anyway.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Its more likely you would just get the new gov trying to undo everything the last one did in the year they were in.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Tesseraction posted:

With any luck we'll be through three in a single year. :unsmigghh:

Been there done that too. Gillard-Rudd-Abbott within 3 months.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Oh dear me posted:

HRA came in 18 months after the 97 election, and the minimum wage act came in 14 months after despite being a flagship manifesto promise. It didn't take effect until 1999.

You also assume that all of these early victories could be delivered while fighting for re-election. Would we still have dissolution of parliament in the pre election period? What about purdah?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

Its more likely you would just get the new gov trying to undo everything the last one did in the year they were in.

The whole thing between Labour and the Tories is can Labour build poo poo quicker than the Tories can tear it down, and the answer even now is basically no. Building things means you have to go asking people for stuff, budgeting, negotiating, planning and reaching compromises, and all sorts of tedious poo poo that takes time to do effectively. Under an annual election cycle it'd be the Tories selling off everything or strangling newly implemented policies each year they get in, and Labour failing to rebuild it because they'd get voted out every year they tried to raise money for building new poo poo lol

communism bitch fucked around with this message at 14:53 on May 30, 2017

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

Giving up a couple of months every year for a new election campaign would severely hamper any government's ability to legislate.

There should be rules limiting campaigning anyway. Have the vote in their long summer recess.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

It's no good having constant turnover/turmoil at the top, what is needed is greater meaningful control at a smaller local level which can adjust to local desires and also feed up to the higher larger political structures without needing full national elections.

So basically Soviets. But maybe allow more than one party to run.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Oberleutnant posted:

This is basically saying "we recognise this entire system is hosed, but rather than enact substantial reforms we'll just make sure nobody is in power long enough to do anything".
It's a fine policy for when your political system is otherwise healthy and stable, but ours really isn't, and all it'll do is preserve it in amber as the parties squabble endlessly and forever, achieving nothing.

The entire US House of Representatives is re-elected every 2 years, which means Representatives spend approximately 50% of their time in office campaigning for funding to get re-elected. Sounds efficient!

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

nopantsjack posted:

Tories have a long and proud tradition of driving themselves between a rock and a hard place. Casually marketing a complicated foreign policy issue as a domestic one to secure votes might work - for a while. But you cannot please a target segment of populace that rejects the foreign policy implications, while simulatenously maintaining a solid and good relationship with the partner you demonize to your voter base. Eventually a choice has to be made. Cameron did that mistake in 2015 and 2016, now May is forced to do the same.

edit: Obviously this sort of stuff is done all over the place, but Tories are interesting because their target segments currently include both the business types and the former UKIP people.

El Perkele fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 30, 2017

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Watched it. Small wonder that a geezer who actually has to win votes while dealing with a belligerent press/Blairites would do better holding himself in a debate than an unelected technocrat.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MikeCrotch posted:

The entire US House of Representatives is re-elected every 2 years, which means Representatives spend approximately 50% of their time in office campaigning for funding to get re-elected. Sounds efficient!

I think 50% is a very conservative estimate

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

CyberPingu posted:

nothing of substance can be accomplished in one year, so the new government wouldn't have to try very hard.

annual parliamentary general elections is the stupidest idea since someone said parties should have annual leadership elections.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

MikeCrotch posted:

One could argue that that's more a problem with funding rules than anything else.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Annual elections with a two term limit for MPs. That's how you make it work.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

:getin:

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/869543213622755329

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Get rid of elections, all seats are ballot drawn.

• Locked thread