Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Not only am I back at work, but Trump is still President.

God, what a week.

Me most Mondays, yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SocketWrench posted:

You know you're arguing with someone that likely voted Johnson to be an edgelord, if they're even old enough to vote at all

Good point well made, disengaging with dumbfuck now.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Fulchrum posted:

No, invoking war crimes is dragging Hitler into this, since that's the level you are claiming Obama is on.

Oh my god

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Both of you shut up!

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Hey can you do your weird "all the thousands of people Obama killed was not technically a war crime" somewhere other than this thread.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The Republican effort to bring us back to brink of World War III is going swimmingly. :smithicide:

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

The Republican effort to bring us back to brink of World War III is going swimmingly. :smithicide:

WWIII: This Time, America Wrong?

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

Lightning Lord posted:

WWIII: No Puppet!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'm going to prove I'm no puppet of Russia by doing exactly what they want while they drink a glass of water. How are they drinking the water and I'm still talking? See?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fulchrum posted:

Oh please. Trump doesn't fail to understand how government works because he is a business owner. Trump fails to understand how government works because he is a colossal loving moron of the highest order, a man who is simultaneously senile, an alpha male jock douchebag, has a slow brain that does not learn information well, with a toddlers sensibilities and capacity for attention, and is actively hostile to the very concept of facts and reality. We all know that he doesn't understand basic civics, but that absolute rock bottom stupidity that puts him behind most third graders, kind of redundantly, puts most third graders ahead of him. As in, as long as someone isn't as actively and fiercely opposed to the very concept of knowing things and understanding things as a republican, that poo poo ain't some mystery that eludes the greatest of all scholars.

C'mon, you seriously expect me to believe that you'd need to be the governor of California for 3 years to understand that the court is able to strike down an executive order for being unconstitutional? Or that a bill needs to reach consensus in order to pass the House? You have got to know that saying that all business owners are just as stupid as Putins puppet is hugely disingenuous.

Trump's lack of understanding of basic civics is obviously not the only reason why he is struggling, but it absolutely contributes.

But I'm also not talking about just basic civics. There are some fundamental differences between the private sector and the government sector – operational and cultural – that makes experience in one mostly if not almost completely irrelevant in the other. That's why trying to run the government "like a business" is dumb and doesn't work. But it tends to be every ex-business leader politician's instinct to do so because they simply know of no other way.

quote:

In years past, then the skills learned at the lower levels were essential for a POTUS. Wheeling and dealing across the aisles, winning them over with charm and knowledge of where the bodies are buried, these were finely honed skills. THe problem is that those skills are utterly and completely obsolete in the modern political era. Bipartisanship and working across the aisle is well and truly dead. Hell, they actively hurt you - look at Obama. It is undeniable that his belief in bipartisanship and cooperation were huge flaws that cost him a lot.

Right, thank you for making my point for me: Obama was young and relatively inexperienced, which resulted in his stupidly naive belief that he could work with the GOP in a bipartisan way to get things done. It took nearly an entire term for him to learn his lesson.

With Zuckerberg, I guarantee you that he would be an even more naive POTUS, and therefore even less effective. You say he can pass UBI? loving lol.

Zuckerberg becoming POTUS would be like someone who doesn't know how to code becoming the chief software architect in charge of critical technical decisions in a sprawling and highly complex system. It can't lead to anything other than ruin.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 14:10 on May 30, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Edit wrong thread

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm going to prove I'm no puppet of Russia by doing exactly what they want while they drink a glass of water. How are they drinking the water and I'm still talking? See?

I dunno, is TOTAL WORLD WAR what they want? Although I guess Armatas and T-90s rolling into Helsinki and the response being ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ would truly confirm the idea that the GOP has become an overseas branch of United Russia.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Lightning Lord posted:

I'll keep a couple bottles of my favorite wine for whoever liberates my city.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

what is it exactly that Fulchrum is trying to say?

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Potato Salad posted:

That the bad militarism that Obama did doesn't meet the Geneva Conventions definition of war crimes therefore calling him a war criminal waters that term down

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Potato Salad posted:

No one knows.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

blood for the blood god, skulls for the skull throne

you're going to find it very hard to get the western world to agree with the idea that obummer is a war criminal

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

"vote zuck 2020: zucker for suckers"

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

stone cold posted:

"vote zuck 2020: zucker for suckers"

"I'm a zuckold, how about you?"

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Ralepozozaxe posted:

"I'm a zuckold, how about you?"

"motherZUCKER, that zucking rear end in a top hat cut me off!"

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
Yes but you see waging aggressive war is a crime against *peace* not a *war crime* so clearly something something 0bozo raaar

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Can't gently caress the Zuck.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

I didn't see this posted yet, apologies if it was, but, uh...

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/29/portland-attack-republican-james-buchal-militia-groups

quote:

Multnomah County GOP chair James Buchal, however, told the Guardian that recent street protests had prompted Portland Republicans to consider alternatives to “abandoning the public square”.

“I am sort of evolving to the point where I think that it is appropriate for Republicans to continue to go out there,” he said. “And if they need to have a security force protecting them, that’s an appropriate thing too.”

Asked if this meant Republicans making their own security arrangements rather than relying on city or state police, Buchal said: “Yeah. And there are these people arising, like the Oath Keepers and the Three Percenters.”

Asked if he was considering such groups as security providers, Buchal said: “Yeah. We’re thinking about that. Because there are now belligerent, unstable people who are convinced that Republicans are like Nazis.”

"People keep saying we're like the Nazis, so we're going to use violent, extremist members of our party as an independent security force, answerable to no one."

So are we officially in the middle of a coup, or do we have to wait until the camoshirts stomp someone to death for taking an "uppity" tone with a GOP congressperson?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

permazucked poster fulchrum

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

enraged_camel posted:

Trump's lack of understanding of basic civics is obviously not the only reason why he is struggling, but it absolutely contributes.

But I'm also not talking about just basic civics. There are some fundamental differences between the private sector and the government sector – operational and cultural – that makes experience in one mostly if not almost completely irrelevant in the other. That's why trying to run the government "like a business" is dumb and doesn't work. But it tends to be every ex-business leader politician's instinct to do so because they simply know of no other way.

I agree, and the differences are even larger between government and tightly privately held businesses like Trump's. At least in publicly held large companies the CEOs have to deal with keeping shareholders and corporate boards happy. By all accounts Trump runs his businesses exactly like many sole proprietorships do: exclusively for his own benefit and according to whatever whims he has at the moment. That style of management wouldn;t work for a town mayor, much less the presidency.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I love how the local papers try to translate Trump's tweets accurately and it makes him look even stupider.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Trump's USDA just announced that it is cancelling the Obamacare regulation that required all restaurants with more than 25 locations to post their calorie content on their menu four days before the rule was supposed to go into effect.

A lot of places already started doing it in preparation, but now they won't have to when they update their menus.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/27/trump-restaurant-calorie-posting-rule-238873

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/may/29/portland-attack-republican-james-buchal-militia-groups

"People keep saying we're like the Nazis, so we're going to use violent, extremist members of our party as an independent security force, answerable to no one."

So are we officially in the middle of a coup, or do we have to wait until the camoshirts stomp someone to death for taking an "uppity" tone with a GOP congressperson?

holy poo poo

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Potato Salad posted:

Oh,stewardess! I speak Deak.

There were many awful elements of Obama's foreign policy, but nuance is important so that we have an ability to differentiate between the levels-of-badness of GWB and Obama. "Obama, War Criminal" is wrong, both due to a fishmechian adherence to definitions and because he believes it softens the atrocities of those like Putin, Gaddafi, Assad, and :godwin:.

I'm projecting the first clause up there, because he's fallen into the occupational hazard of the :fishmech: where he spends more time arguing that Obama's FP fuckups were "not that bad" as opposed to "awful, but not actually atrocious".

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Trump's USDA just announced that it is cancelling the Obamacare regulation that required all restaurants with more than 25 locations to post their calorie content on their menu four days before the rule was supposed to go into effect.

A lot of places already started doing it in preparation, but now they won't have to when they update their menus.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/05/27/trump-restaurant-calorie-posting-rule-238873

The Olive Garden lobby is strong in Trump's Washington.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Man the mask came off so easily it's a wonder they waited this long.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I said this before, but this is just so loving petty.

there is no downside whatsoever to doing this, and it barely burdens the restaurant.

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Was there ever really a mask? They just never had the means to enact their bullshit before.

FizFashizzle posted:

I said this before, but this is just so loving petty.

there is no downside whatsoever to doing this, and it barely burdens the restaurant.

Didn't donald at least try to shutter Energy Star? One of the few environmental bodies that the GOP actually likes and has broad support from literally everyone?

Our ruling party is openly fascist, and being led by an Alzheimer's patient whose only intact memory is being humiliated by a black man at the 2014 Correspondent's Dinner.

Easy Salmon Recipe fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 30, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Most people I know straight up ignore these caloric postings and like the article says, they already printed the new menus so this is indeed a good example of OBAMA BAD

Like I said, we all dead. Joe Rogan/Steve Crowder 2024, lol

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Trump probably did it because he was offended when calories told him he was a fat gently caress

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

They could have gone full Nazi messaging before but didn't since they though that there might be a negative to being perceived as nazis and relied on dog whistles to get around it. It turns out that the Republican party is full of people that want nazi leadership.

Using some guys murdered by white supremacists to get other white supremacists to defend you from the people angry they are being attacked by white supremacists is some impressive nazi behavior.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Just saw this:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/869553853750013953

I wonder what Mitch McConnell thinks about that.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Nazis, but this time a handful of minorities can participate

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

mcmagic posted:

Just saw this:

do you think turtles have the capacity for emotion beyond naked contempt

coincidentally, naked contempt is probably what mitch mcconnell thought about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
Good thing these new Nazis are complete wimps.

mcmagic posted:

Just saw this:

They might get it for tax cuts but they'll never, ever get it for that abomination of a health care bill that the House just gave birth to.

• Locked thread