Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Norns posted:

Darksied voice by Weird Al Yankovic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Aphrodite posted:

You'll have to do one tower yourself if you want the objectives, since the AI is unlikely to land 5 supers.

I tried to do this manually and the AI blocked my super 8 out of 10 times :suicide:

Edit: Wonder Woman doesn't seem so bad. Maybe I will try to learn her

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 30, 2017

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Just wanna throw out there that I loving love Atrocitus's modeling and texturing in this game. In a world where super heroes have to constantly be shiny and reflective, his matte, clay carapace is like a beautiful diamond in the rough to me.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Edit: Wonder Woman doesn't seem so bad. Maybe I will try to learn her

My big gripes are from the competitive perspective. She's merely "alright" when you got a lot of characters who are downright slam dunks.

That and her best bnb is whatever starter, ex shield, f23, b3, j3, ender

B3 timing is mad strict, I can only nail that b3 about 70% of the time, and that's one of the biggest complaints I hear about people learning the character.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
When having the AI do endless for you, is there a way to not have to press X to advance after a match is finished?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

kaujot posted:

When having the AI do endless for you, is there a way to not have to press X to advance after a match is finished?
A lot of people are not-so-secretly hoping that this, and making the fights 4x faster, gets patched in. I don't see it happening but will gladly welcome the change.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

So this event got me to level Wonder Woman up to 20, and after I did that super move tower manually I ended up playing a bunch more including a guild tower. She's actually pretty fun. Plus I got a few more other epics besides the movie gear.

I normally don't care about lootgames and haven't really been into fighting games either but this game is some alchemical magic that has me enthused about both

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Ok did up another little ditty, this time about how to abuse how the movement system works in your favour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuC7m98nssI

Doesn't work for every character, and absolutely most greatly benefits Robin. I go over it in detail in the video but long story short:

Walking forward/backwards is not the same set deal as it is in say a street fighter. There is both the startup and then the continued animation. For the most part it doesn't really matter but for some characters its greatly pronounced as shown with robin in the video. The beginning of his backstep is perfectly good, and then he starts walking as slow as a turtle. Feathering walk back(fast, but not fast enough to trigger dash) he can quadruple his walk speed backwards while still having full control over the character to block/jump/attack unlike a dash.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how strong starfire is, power level wise.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Kurtofan posted:

how strong starfire is, power level wise.

Pretty strong. Probably the strongest out of the Titans, including even Cyborg. Probably not as strong as Superman, Wonder Woman, Peej, or the like, though.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Beefstew posted:

Pretty strong. Probably the strongest out of the Titans, including even Cyborg. Probably not as strong as Superman, Wonder Woman, Peej, or the like, though.

If Supes and Wondy are A-tier, and Darkseid is S-tier, she's B, maybe C-tier

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Final Stand multiverse event coughing up Diamond boxes is back.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
I realize I'm a total dunce but I'm super new to fighting games (this is my first since the old XBOX 360 MK, I think). Anyway, this game is super fun and good and I've been having a great time with it. I 100%ed the story and really enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. I also joined one of the Goon overflow guilds and I'm trying to level a character I like to 20 (currently loving Green Arrow for some reason).

My questions are really vague but I'll try to keep them answerable:

How does the guild multiverse work? Like, what am I supposed to DO to be useful?
It seems like doing the regular multiverse stuff also earns Guild points as well?
What is the fastest way to hit 20? I haven't tried multiplayer matches yet. I have the feeling I'll get stomped.

Also, in doing one of the multiverse events, I ran up against Swamp Thing with the "can't use combos" modifier. It is the first time I've hit a wall in the game. I couldn't find a way to win and eventually gave up. It actually felt like the AI was ramped up to a high level for that one character too because I breezed up to it and then whammo -- brick wall. I came back to the multiverse event later and it had a different random ladder. The "no combo" slot was filled by Cyborg and it was still brutally difficult but I was able to beat him. Was I alone on this? Am I just bad at video games (yes)?

What does a typical night look like for most players? It is strange but I can't help but feel I'm "doing it wrong", missing opportunities, not doing the most I can to help the guild, not leveling characters fast enough, not getting good enough gear. This game is kind of inscrutable to a new player. The interface is a mess (I found the guild multiverse almost at random) unless you know what to expect in some ways. I guess my vague question is really -- is there a typical "loop" that players do?

Sorry for the weird questions.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

PSN is slow, because PSN. What portion of the game, if any, can played once you've hit the "data to start application" portion of the download?

Prygelknabe
Mar 31, 2009

He had a baseball bat, and I was tied to a chair. Pissing him off was the smart thing to do.
PSA for scrubs like me: If you have trouble getting Super moves to connect because the AI is an rear end in a top hat and blocks it, hitting them with a quick combo usually stuns them just long enough so they can't block the Super

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Just wanna throw out there that I loving love Atrocitus's modeling and texturing in this game. In a world where super heroes have to constantly be shiny and reflective, his matte, clay carapace is like a beautiful diamond in the rough to me.

I didn't know who Atrocitus was before this game and now he's my favorite DC character ever. He's like some hosed up Nemesis-style character who just shows up to yell about YOUR RAGE or even chastises villains about how YOUR VICTIMS DEMAND RAGE-FILLED JUSTICE. And of course I appreciate that his costumes and colors turn him into cosmic Satan or eldritch horrids.

Who has the undisputed worst gear so far? Cyborg is def in the running, all his lovely armor pieces look alike. Firestorm has some boring pieces, Grodd def has some stupid looking poo poo. I would have preferred if his unique gear was gauntlets instead of that dumb horn.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Why can't Darkseid murder Superman whenever he wants?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Darkseid doesn't care about Earth's problems.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Why can't Darkseid murder Superman whenever he wants?

Because that wouldn't be very fun to play as a video game or from a storytelling perspective

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

DLC Inc posted:

I didn't know who Atrocitus was before this game and now he's my favorite DC character ever. He's like some hosed up Nemesis-style character who just shows up to yell about YOUR RAGE or even chastises villains about how YOUR VICTIMS DEMAND RAGE-FILLED JUSTICE. And of course I appreciate that his costumes and colors turn him into cosmic Satan or eldritch horrids.

Who has the undisputed worst gear so far? Cyborg is def in the running, all his lovely armor pieces look alike. Firestorm has some boring pieces, Grodd def has some stupid looking poo poo. I would have preferred if his unique gear was gauntlets instead of that dumb horn.

Grodds stuff is all kinda super samey looking, but I got arm piece with skulls on the shoulders that looks p. cool :shobon:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

And why doesn't Superman just fly off into space when he's getting his rear end beat? Where does Harley keep getting all those mallets from? Why am I gay?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

And why doesn't Superman just fly off into space when he's getting his rear end beat? Where does Harley keep getting all those mallets from? Why am I gay?

Kryptonite knife, your rear end, and music television. Respectively.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Catwoman has the worst gear which sucks cuz she's the best

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I ended my 3 day weekend with 19 characters total at level 20 (since launch) and 2.1 million credits. That was a lot of Injustice 2.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

codenameFANGIO posted:

Because that wouldn't be very fun to play as a video game or from a storytelling perspective

Yeah but like, what's his excuse?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

DLC Inc posted:

Cheetahs outfits are hands down all awful, the best makes her look like she's doing terrible Aloy cosplay, and the shaders are all murky and boring.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Sefal posted:

Played someone online who's name was MirrorMatch. We then proceeded to have mirror matches.

This is maybe my favorite post in the thread.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Empress Brosephine posted:

Catwoman has the worst gear which sucks cuz she's the best

Spuckuk posted:

Cheetahs outfits are hands down all awful, the best makes her look like she's doing terrible Aloy cosplay, and the shaders are all murky and boring.

I fought a Cheetah who had managed to stuff herself into Catwoman's leather gear and it was hilarious.

She even had the cat hood on top of her own cat head.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

ConfusedUs posted:

I fought a Cheetah who had managed to stuff herself into Catwoman's leather gear and it was hilarious.

lol holy poo poo I need this

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DLC Inc posted:

lol holy poo poo I need this

poo poo was bursting at its seams. It was WAY too small for Cheetah's frame.

Damnit I knew I should have taken a screenshot

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Holy poo poo Green Arrow has a Hawkeye color scheme available :stare:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

codenameFANGIO posted:

Holy poo poo Green Arrow has a Hawkeye color scheme available :stare:

You can give him Oakleys and shot too. It's pretty hilarious

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I just love that they followed through on the SJW insult from story mode and marked some of his stuff as "fair trade"

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Aquaman is painfully generic to me, which is a shame given how batshit crazy undersea life can be. Like give me a hollowed-out nautilus helm, or crab claw gauntlets or some poo poo. Paint it all bioluminescent, get nuts. Tentacle belts for everyone!

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

ConfusedUs posted:

I thought i saw her old cat suit outfit in tge netherealm gear stream. I'm getting rares and epics that barely look different or duplicates. The platinum and diamond box events are helping me get cooler stuff though.

Darkseid's gear is kind of lame except for chestplates. I want that head gear with the omega beams cracking through his stoney face though.

KungFu Grip fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 30, 2017

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

nunsexmonkrock posted:

So with Atrocitus rhyming during his super I am assuming it's a nod to Etrigan?

I don't know if anyone answered you yet, but he's reciting part of the Red Lantern Oath.

edit: I guess i should have gone like 4 posts down :(

Carebearz
May 6, 2008

CARE BEAR STARE

:regd10:

Starrett posted:

Except my boy Larfleeze.

*ahem, Larfleeze does have an Oath though:

"What's mine is mine, And mine and mine. And mine and mine and mine! NOT YOURS!"

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

exquisite tea posted:

In the Luthor series a few years, poo poo maybe a decade now, back, Batman gets his hands on kryptonite for the first time. Superman blows it out of his hands from miles away and reminds him that he could easily gently caress him up if he wanted. An unchained Superman would be very boring. Or very good, like Red Son.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

he1ixx posted:

How does the guild multiverse work? Like, what am I supposed to DO to be useful?
It seems like doing the regular multiverse stuff also earns Guild points as well?
What is the fastest way to hit 20? I haven't tried multiplayer matches yet. I have the feeling I'll get stomped.

Also, in doing one of the multiverse events, I ran up against Swamp Thing with the "can't use combos" modifier. It is the first time I've hit a wall in the game. I couldn't find a way to win and eventually gave up. It actually felt like the AI was ramped up to a high level for that one character too because I breezed up to it and then whammo -- brick wall. I came back to the multiverse event later and it had a different random ladder. The "no combo" slot was filled by Cyborg and it was still brutally difficult but I was able to beat him. Was I alone on this? Am I just bad at video games (yes)?

What does a typical night look like for most players? It is strange but I can't help but feel I'm "doing it wrong", missing opportunities, not doing the most I can to help the guild, not leveling characters fast enough, not getting good enough gear. This game is kind of inscrutable to a new player. The interface is a mess (I found the guild multiverse almost at random) unless you know what to expect in some ways. I guess my vague question is really -- is there a typical "loop" that players do?

Quoting this because I'm in the same boat. Winning more single fights now, but I started on the easiest guild multiverse and and murdered after the first 2 fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Prygelknabe posted:

PSA for scrubs like me: If you have trouble getting Super moves to connect because the AI is an rear end in a top hat and blocks it, hitting them with a quick combo usually stuns them just long enough so they can't block the Super

This happened to me a bunch last night and so I started stepping up and using super moves as counter. Can't block poo poo if you're in recovery frames :smug:

he1ixx posted:

I realize I'm a total dunce but I'm super new to fighting games (this is my first since the old XBOX 360 MK, I think). Anyway, this game is super fun and good and I've been having a great time with it. I 100%ed the story and really enjoyed it a lot more than I expected to. I also joined one of the Goon overflow guilds and I'm trying to level a character I like to 20 (currently loving Green Arrow for some reason).

My questions are really vague but I'll try to keep them answerable:

Yeah, I'm coming from a similar place, so here's my take on it:

The guild stuff isn't as rigorous as an MMO, it's basically "sign up for lootboxes, play the game and everyone gets more loot boxes." Like, even single player multiverse will contribute to the guild points, and you shouldn't feel like there's an obligation to fulfill. Nothing really requires major coordination except the bosses, I think.
Even with the all the great single player stuff (and perhaps because of it) fighting games still basically are "make your own fun" kinds of things. For me, the vague goal I'm setting for myself is getting competent enough at this that I can follow things when watching competitive play, which in turn helps me get better, etc. etc.
I think people say that the average multiplayer match is easier than the high-level AI because the AI just reads your inputs, so don't feel bad if you get stomped, there's definitely some randomness to things where you will get completely owned and then you come back and they fall for spamming the same move twenty times
I got my first level 20 character by taking Wonder Woman through that movie Multiverse event plus some guild stuff. Half of it was having the AI run through the towers, and half of it was jumping in and fighting just because it was fun. It took about four hours, I'd say, to go from level 5 to level 20.

• Locked thread