Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I will not hear you guys besmirch the good name of Sonic and Sega all star racers transformed. It's an amazing game and super fun to play. And you only keep the emeralds in Sonic R if you come in first.

Also check your PMs if you haven't already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

By the way, when you guys do finally reach the Adventure titles will you be playing the original Dreamcast versions or the remakes (SA DX doesn't really change much significantly aside from a graphical upgrade and a few extras here and there but SA2: Battle does make the treasure hunting sections a bit less tedious at least)?

Also as an aside, Sonic Blast for the Game Gear does have an extra boss at the end if you beat the final stage with all the Chaos Emeralds but it's really not worth the effort. If anyone's curious though, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtcUan3YdFM

Also in regards to Sonic R itself, I have two things of note:

1. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles can all jump, which is how you get by the sections with water without losing speed. They also have special moves if you press the jump button again (Sonic does a double jump, Tails can fly but he can't ascend and Knuckles can glide but he can't climb walls). You might be able to a Spin Dash as well but I'm not completely sure about that.

2. Hitting a speed booster (the things with the floating black sign that reads "GO" above them) costs you rings, I'm not sure how many but the times you mentioned your rings suddenly dissapeared for no reason that was why.

Unrelated but in regards to your Battle Network 4 playthrough, in 4-6 you can skip cutscenes by pressing Select. Not sure why they changed it but there you go.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 7, 2017

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Larryb posted:

2. Hitting a speed booster (the things with the floating black sign that reads "GO" above them) costs you rings, I'm not sure how many but the times you mentioned your rings suddenly dissapeared for no reason that was why.

It will drain up to 50 rings and if you have less than 50 it will take you only a portion of the way through the boost.

Also the map at the bottom is useful for working out where to go. Grey routes are usually shortcuts, but if they look like they'd be longer to complete than the main track, it'll usually have a coin on it. Routes marked in yellow are behind ring doors. Some of the shortcuts are pretty huge, if you are tails or knuckles, you can take a left at the river on Radical City and go upstream, jump over a barrier about two thirds of the way up, and cut out about half of the course. Using the shortcuts is pretty much vital to getting the emeralds and coming in first, as they save you huge amounts of time over the main course.

Different characters definitely have different handling, sonic's probably the expert character of the starting group.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 6, 2017

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
While playing Sonic Gems collection while it was new I eventually got really good at Sonic R and 100% it. It has a very steep learning curve and once you unlock the special characters it makes your life much harder since they start showing up iirc. I also seem to remember that if you turn with the left and right the L and R are for hard turns but you don't use them unless you have to. Also the hover characters are slower because they don't deal with water traps. Makes for some great shortcuts in some areas.

Basically, I liked Sonic R despite playing it after playing the burnout franchise. It seemed like a silly fun Sonic game that does some things right (Sonic and Co aren't in cars unless they aren't fast characters like Robotnik and Amy) but does a lot of things wrong.

... I'm really glad that I skipped the Saturn. That generation was such a clusterfuck and SoJ overruling SoA while telling them to piss away money in R&D despite never going with their decisions was just arrogant.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Does it really need saying?
Okay, first off, let's put Sonic Jam out of its misery. Sincerely proud of John for being able to pull this madness off (even if we had to keep reminding him of where the Rings were every time), this looked pretty drat difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttvK5hpwbsk

As for Sonic R...

Kurieg posted:

I will not hear you guys besmirch the good name of Sonic and Sega all star racers transformed. It's an amazing game and super fun to play. And you only keep the emeralds in Sonic R if you come in first.

I have no experience with the Sega All-Stars series, but I've heard it's pretty decent. Looking forward to it when it arrives (way way way way way down the line)! And yeah, we sadly learned quite quickly that 1st place was the only way to keep Chaos Emeralds :[

Kurieg posted:

Also check your PMs if you haven't already.

I did, thank you a ton for digging that up! I wasn't able to get a recording working with it, but I did the best I could to mimic it for the Sonic R intro, figured we needed to at least address it a little before moving on, haha.

Larryb posted:

Also in regards to Sonic R itself, I have two things of note:

1. Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles can all jump, which is how you get by the sections with water without losing speed. They also have special moves if you press the jump button again (Sonic does a double jump, Tails can fly but he can't ascend and Knuckles can glide but he can't climb walls). You might be able to a Spin Dash as well but I'm not completely sure about that.

Yeah, I think in today's upcoming episode we realize all of the above, haha. It helps a bit, but yikes, we're just having the hardest drat time with this bastard...

Houle posted:

While playing Sonic Gems collection while it was new I eventually got really good at Sonic R and 100% it. It has a very steep learning curve and once you unlock the special characters it makes your life much harder since they start showing up iirc. I also seem to remember that if you turn with the left and right the L and R are for hard turns but you don't use them unless you have to. Also the hover characters are slower because they don't deal with water traps. Makes for some great shortcuts in some areas.

Basically, I liked Sonic R despite playing it after playing the burnout franchise. It seemed like a silly fun Sonic game that does some things right (Sonic and Co aren't in cars unless they aren't fast characters like Robotnik and Amy) but does a lot of things wrong.

... I'm really glad that I skipped the Saturn. That generation was such a clusterfuck and SoJ overruling SoA while telling them to piss away money in R&D despite never going with their decisions was just arrogant.

Best part of all: I hear the Gems version of the game is considerably easier to handle, too. This game is just too much for us, I guess. I dunno, man.

And here's the horror show in action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6ZaRW1ak8o https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXmXPJJETjc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RensvXb7shc

Larryb posted:

By the way, when you guys do finally reach the Adventure titles will you be playing the original Dreamcast versions or the remakes (SA DX doesn't really change much significantly aside from a graphical upgrade and a few extras here and there but SA2: Battle does make the treasure hunting sections a bit less tedious at least)?

We're gonna be playing the PSN versions (for crisp video's sake), which I THINK has the graphical updates from the DX/Battle versions of the games. We'll absolutely be showing off the uh... "great" animation quality of the Dreamcast originals regardless.

Larryb posted:

Also as an aside, Sonic Blast for the Game Gear does have an extra boss at the end if you beat the final stage with all the Chaos Emeralds but it's really not worth the effort. If anyone's curious though, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtcUan3YdFM

Oh wow, that looks like a bit of a serious pain in the rear end. I don't know how I never noticed the clear copying of older titles' sound effects Aspect was using there. The explosions, the Ring sounds and the "boss damaged" effects all come straight out of Chaos and Triple Trouble.

Larryb posted:

Unrelated but in regards to your Battle Network 4 playthrough, in 4-6 you can skip cutscenes by pressing Select. Not sure why they changed it but there you go.

yyyyyyep, discovered that sadly too late for BN4-1. It will be VERY USEFUL now that there will be a bunch of repeated cutscenes in Game 2...

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

I have no experience with the Sega All-Stars series, but I've heard it's pretty decent. Looking forward to it when it arrives (way way way way way down the line)! And yeah, we sadly learned quite quickly that 1st place was the only way to keep Chaos Emeralds :[

I'd personally say it's as good as Mario Kart 8. My one suggestion for it is apparently the same advice other people are giving for Sonic R, play as Knuckles. Traction, handling, and drift-boosts are king in SASRT, yes, even in a plane and boat.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

The characters control so awkwardly in Sonic R, oy. I'm sure I'm just being a whiny bitch, but Sonic (despite everyone's warnings) felt the most comfortable, even though he was usually bouncing around a bunch. Tails seems to have no traction whatsoever, so once he's moving he's at the mercy of inertia, while Knuckles just seems like he can't get moving (and can't jump for poo poo).

And Amy is Amy.

Looking forward to SASRT.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
You mentioned wanting to hear from people who liked Sonic R. I haven't played the game in a long time, so I'm not sure what I'd think of it today, but I did like it back in my teenage years. Yeah, the controls are definitely awkward, but the characters are definitely way more controllable, with practice, than you're able to manage in a series of videos where you'll probably only play the game for two hours tops. I do wonder if you've got a faulty controller though, since you're having such difficulty jumping and activated amy's speed boost power without intending to (and your reaction suggested you hadn't pressed anything), as that's not a problem I ever remember having and you were experiencing the problem fairly consistently.

What I liked about Sonic R was that although it only had five tracks, those tracks were almost exploration levels in themselves, there are loads of shortcuts, and hidden things all over the maps. If you look at the map onscreen you see a main track with a whole bunch of shortcuts, which are crucial to winning the races when you're going for the emeralds. If you pay attention to the other racers you'll sometimes see them taken, but you can also find them yourself if you, for example, do a time trial and just focus on exploring the level and understanding the layout of a track. Some shortcuts, like the one at the start in Radical City, let you skip almost half the track. It's definitely not communicated well, but I don't think you should really even try to collect emeralds or coins until you can comfortably place first every time. Trying to collect emeralds and place first when you can't even place first without the detours is a recipe for disaster, and since metal sonic and mecha knuckles are both faster than the default characters, if you collect coins when you can't win races reliably you're only causing yourself pain. But I considered these fun challenges to beat...after I was comfortable enough with the controls to always win a straight race.

So that's my view, Sonic R is a racing game with difficult to pick up controls, with some neat exploration elements that are more or less unique to it in the racing genre (as far as I know anyway), and a difficulty curve that becomes a wall if you try to do the hard bits before you've mastered the easier elements. Definitely not a game I'd go back to, but I thought it was an enjoyable game at the time.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Reveilled posted:

You mentioned wanting to hear from people who liked Sonic R. I haven't played the game in a long time, so I'm not sure what I'd think of it today, but I did like it back in my teenage years. Yeah, the controls are definitely awkward, but the characters are definitely way more controllable, with practice, than you're able to manage in a series of videos where you'll probably only play the game for two hours tops. I do wonder if you've got a faulty controller though, since you're having such difficulty jumping and activated amy's speed boost power without intending to (and your reaction suggested you hadn't pressed anything), as that's not a problem I ever remember having and you were experiencing the problem fairly consistently.

So for a handful of games we're somewhat "forced" to emulate them for the sake of video quality -- the RetroN 5 gives us solid quality on several retro consoles, and anything with HDMI we're good with just recording like normal, but anything from the turn of the century is more problematic. See our Mega Man X7 series (from Part 4 on) for a good example of the drop in video quality when recording from the real console.

So Sonic R was recorded with a Saturn emulator, and played with a PlayStation 3 controller (with ABC mapped, but not XYZ). So yes, it was a less than fully accurate representation of the gameplay and controller scheme. I mentioned (or mention in one of the remaining videos) that at some point I'd like to give all the racing games another go, including this one. If I/we do, I may shoot for the legit console and game (which we do have) and just suck up the video quality drop.

Reveilled posted:

What I liked about Sonic R was that although it only had five tracks, those tracks were almost exploration levels in themselves, there are loads of shortcuts, and hidden things all over the maps. If you look at the map onscreen you see a main track with a whole bunch of shortcuts, which are crucial to winning the races when you're going for the emeralds. If you pay attention to the other racers you'll sometimes see them taken, but you can also find them yourself if you, for example, do a time trial and just focus on exploring the level and understanding the layout of a track. Some shortcuts, like the one at the start in Radical City, let you skip almost half the track. It's definitely not communicated well, but I don't think you should really even try to collect emeralds or coins until you can comfortably place first every time. Trying to collect emeralds and place first when you can't even place first without the detours is a recipe for disaster, and since metal sonic and mecha knuckles are both faster than the default characters, if you collect coins when you can't win races reliably you're only causing yourself pain. But I considered these fun challenges to beat...after I was comfortable enough with the controls to always win a straight race.

Yeah, in hindsight we didn't even consider that adding faster racers to the roster might just make the rest of the challenges harder. I think shooting for Super Sonic first, then the bonus characters later, would be the best course of action. And I do appreciate that the tracks are big and sprawling with lots to explore. It's more than a little awkward when some tracks (Resort Island and Regal Ruin in particular) make it difficult to tell which direction is really "forward" without keeping your eyes glued to the map, but the effort is understood and apreciated.

Reveilled posted:

So that's my view, Sonic R is a racing game with difficult to pick up controls, with some neat exploration elements that are more or less unique to it in the racing genre (as far as I know anyway), and a difficulty curve that becomes a wall if you try to do the hard bits before you've mastered the easier elements. Definitely not a game I'd go back to, but I thought it was an enjoyable game at the time.

Well I appreciate the insight and the input :) Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it! Luckily, I'm a stubborn bastard and very rarely am willing to just walk away from a game without accomplishing something...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHoyhOh3XeA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-1z4zrqucI

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ricdesi posted:

So for a handful of games we're somewhat "forced" to emulate them for the sake of video quality -- the RetroN 5 gives us solid quality on several retro consoles, and anything with HDMI we're good with just recording like normal, but anything from the turn of the century is more problematic. See our Mega Man X7 series (from Part 4 on) for a good example of the drop in video quality when recording from the real console.

So Sonic R was recorded with a Saturn emulator, and played with a PlayStation 3 controller (with ABC mapped, but not XYZ). So yes, it was a less than fully accurate representation of the gameplay and controller scheme. I mentioned (or mention in one of the remaining videos) that at some point I'd like to give all the racing games another go, including this one. If I/we do, I may shoot for the legit console and game (which we do have) and just suck up the video quality drop.

If you do decide to give it another go, there is a PC version which you might be able acquire. I had both versions and from what I remember they were somewhat similar.

Here's a short list of shortcuts on the maps which might help:
Resort Island
1. Instead of crossing the bridge after the first turn of the level, move off the course to the left and take the path there. This shortcut isn't necessarily faster, but because the AI characters don't take it you won't hit them and you can hit the item panel for stuff. This shortcut rejoins the track at right angles, which would require you to make a left onto the track and then a right in the track immediately after, but with a well timed double-jump directly towards the speed boost panel, you can actually cut both of these corners.
2. If you want to save rings, instead of using the boost panel, take a right off the course through the trees to cut the corner that takes you down to the loop. This is trickier to pull off at speed without hitting the actual trees but can be done consistently with practice.
No shortcuts behind ring gates.

Radical City
1. The big one here is the one which cuts off half of the entire course. Take a left at the bottom of the first dip, and head up the river, which will bend around to the left and go straight for a bit before bending right. You can jump over the fence at the bend to rejoin the track. As knuckles you can glide this entire segment meaning the water won't even slow you down.
2. You already found the pinball machine, but just to be clear this is to the right through a hazard sign just before the ring door, and cuts the corner before the slot machine...thingy
3. The ring gate near the end of the track has a shortcut which costs 20 rings to open (but will be unlocked by an AI racer on lap 1). It's useful if you want to save rings and avoid the speed boost.

Regal Ruin
1. Just after the start, instead of going to the left around the mound to go over the bridge and up the ramp, go right across the water through the archway and up the ramp there, which will let you skip the switchback/horrible-hallway on the main track. You took the route once on video.
2. The ring gate at the top of the ramp before the switchback has an exit to the right which brings you out at the speed boost, cutting out the most awkward parts of the track. If you're not stopping to collect the emerald, just go in, double jump to the level above, and head right.
3. At the bottom of the switchback (behind you after shortcut 1), go left instead of right, which will bring you out where you noticed robotnik coming out in these videos. You almost found this one on the most recent video, where you tried to jump over the wall. You can't jump the wall but there was a gap in the wall to the right. This will cut out the bit where you go downhill and then back up to jump over the gap.
4. If you don't have enough rings for the boost, instead of taking a partial boost or following the track, after passing the boost as you come out into the curve, jump off the course to your right and then jump in the air again to get enough air to land right at the finish line, cutting out the entire last curve.

Reactive Factory
1. Take a right just before you hit the first bend, there is a path which cuts the corner. Not the route with the water and the spring you found as Amy, that's too soon.
2. When you go over the jump, hold right to miss the other side, you did this by accident once, but if you do it on purpose by going right int he air it will drop you down next to the ring gate, letting you skip the loop.
3. After the boost, keep right. There's a shortcut here, where you'll jump over some water and then head straight on to a bend which brings you out at the finish line.
No shortcuts behind ring gates.

On radiant emerald the shortcuts are the ring gates so they're hard to miss.

Hope that helps if you do go back to Sonic R at some point!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Unless they released a more recent version, the PC release of Sonic R was for windows 95/8, it'd be a minor miracle to get it running under 7/8/10

Disproportionation
Feb 20, 2011

Oh god it's the Clone Saga all over again.
Sooo, I was lurking this thread for a while until it dropped off my radar for about a couple months, and I'm glad I just caught it again now because I actually have some lesser known details about Sonic R & 3D Blast.

A few years ago I worked for Traveller's Tales for about a year or so, and while I was there the company ran an internal blog covering its past games, with tidbits from the original developers - most of whom still work at the company - and it also featured stuff like old concept art, original level designs and development photographs. It also had a lot of hand-wringing and justifying when it came to some of their poorer regarded titles (including mocking old review scores which is a little weird but hey).

Keep in mind that since I obviously no longer have access to the blog a lot of these details are a little hazy, so you should take them with a grain of salt but here's what I remember the most:

- The tech for both R and 3DB were in development before the company was hired by Sega; TT at the time was very focused towards graphics technology (it was originally a developer for Psygnosis, who pushed that sort of thing a lot on the Amiga) and a lot of their games started with them dicking around with tech and then securing a license to build a proper game onto.
- TT got the license for 3DB due to the success of Toy Story and Mickey Mania on Sega's consoles.
- Tails doll if I recall correctly was a joke one of the artists put into the game that the dev team liked - they don't really get why it's seen as creepy, but they got a good chuckle out of it.
- The justification the team gave for the low number of tracks in the game was that it would make the game more memorable, but since the staff continually stressed that the most important part of games design was hitting deadlines it was probably just that they ran out of time.
- That said, 3DB missed its original deadline.
- There was concept art for a couple tracks (can't remember which) posted on the blog by one of the TT artists, but I can't remember if it was just that TT initially had a bigger part in the game's design or whether it was just made in collaboration with Sonic Team's artists and designers, or whether it was for implementation reference.
- A lot of the tools and tech used for R were used on their next project, which was Rascal. I suppose that could explain the tank controls.

I haven't watched the entire set of both games videos, (so I dunno if I'm repeating anything) so I'm gonna watch through em and see if I can remember anything else.

As a little bonus, a couple tidbits on their non-Sega work:
- They only accepted the offer to make the Dracula game because the head of the company was worried another developer would take it and make a more violent game.
- The only game they outright admitted was terrible was Rascal - which they blamed on Jim Henson's Creature Shop's design work (I have seen the pre-Creature Shop designs and they are worse).

Disproportionation fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 11, 2017

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I like Sonic R. I wasn't a fan of the music, but I did like the acid remix they did in Gems. The better controls make sense, I really don't like Sony's controllers. I always hated the placement of their sticks and the d pad being 4 buttons so there's that.

I'm pretty sure Sonic R has really terrible elastic banding where the idea is go at a reasonable pace then speed up on the third lap to catch up.

I second the "explore the levels and get the lines down and you'll have a better time". Helps to know that if you are good with corner cuts the water hazards can cut a lot of time from your runs.

It isn't a perfect game, but I liked it a lot more than Sonic CD, I felt that game to be really disappointing to play for the first time. It felt like a romhack of Sonic 1 with some cool cutscenes.

Speaking of Romhacks, would you consider giving some of those a playthrough? Sonic 2 the Long version comes to mind where they attempt to reconstruct Sandhill Zone, Wood Zone, and Hidden Palace Zone using as much of the beta assets as possible then filling out with their own dev. They'd be early 2000s and could give a bit of a change of pace should playing through Sonic Adventure or Sonic Unleashed night stages, or Sonic 2006 start to drain you.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Disproportionation posted:

- TT got the license for 3DB due to the success of Toy Story and Mickey Mania on Sega's consoles.

This in particular stands out to me, since I have some very mixed-opinion memories of Toy Story on the Genesis, and I'm super surprised that one got them the 3D Blast gig.

- Tails doll if I recall correctly was a joke one of the artists put into the game that the dev team liked - they don't really get why it's seen as creepy, but they got a good chuckle out of it.

Aw, nice :) It definitely struck me as being primarily a gag the whole way through that the turn-of-the-century internet just latched onto because it could. I would be all about a Tails Doll of my own, I think he's rad as hell.

- The justification the team gave for the low number of tracks in the game was that it would make the game more memorable, but since the staff continually stressed that the most important part of games design was hitting deadlines it was probably just that they ran out of time.

Well, credit where credit's due, it's hard to forget five tracks. It's a bummer, I can definitely see the deadline issue (especially with Sonic Xtreme getting the axe around the same time) being a major contributor, the game could have been significantly better even with just three more months behind it.

- A lot of the tools and tech used for R were used on their next project, which was Rascal. I suppose that could explain the tank controls.

Iiiiiinteresting... I may have to give Rascal a look, then!

As a little bonus, a couple tidbits on their non-Sega work:
- They only accepted the offer to make the Dracula game because the head of the company was worried another developer would take it and make a more violent game.
- The only game they outright admitted was terrible was Rascal - which they blamed on Jim Henson's Creature Shop's design work (I have seen the pre-Creature Shop designs and they are worse).

Oh god. That's... terrifying. Wow, that was a really cool batch of history there! Thank you so much for sharing!

Houle posted:

Speaking of Romhacks, would you consider giving some of those a playthrough? Sonic 2 the Long version comes to mind where they attempt to reconstruct Sandhill Zone, Wood Zone, and Hidden Palace Zone using as much of the beta assets as possible then filling out with their own dev. They'd be early 2000s and could give a bit of a change of pace should playing through Sonic Adventure or Sonic Unleashed night stages, or Sonic 2006 start to drain you.

We would! Similar to Mega Man, at the end of it all we may be down for checking out a bunch of Sonic fan games when the official games run out.

Okay, so we're at least putting Sonic R behind us for NOW, but we may very well come back to the racing games again to give them their due.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knUlgca9_YE

And now, it's time at long last for a new jam...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeDYcS_2qvo

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I was going to watch your new video, then the Sonic Forces announcement showed up in the sidebar and I'm pretty sure it broke something in my brain.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Alright I'm at least partially recovered from the Glasses The Wolf now.

It seems like Sega licensed the rights to Sonic jam to Tiger, who were the ones who actually made the game. And to answer your question, there are in fact four tracks in the game. lovely half speed midi versions of Sonic 3's save select music for the title, Mushroom Hill act 1 for every single first act in the game, flying battery act 1 for every single second act in the game, and the special stage music for special stages and bosses?

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
I've known about the Game.Com forever, but I hadn't actually bothered watching any footage of it before. It sounded like human music.

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I'm frankly amazed that there are actually multiple songs in that game. It honestly sounded like there was just the one mostly-unidentifiable boop mess.

With that out of the way, we've got two live videos (now that our fake Sonic Adventure video has been re-labeled accordingly):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cgel0bhWAg https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWZBL91Gf5E

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
I never understood that unwritten rule how it's ok for a human female to be involved with an anthropomorphic male, but not the other way around. They could have used Amy instead of Sara in the OVA, but for some reason it's considered a lot creepier for Eggman to be hitting on an anthro hedgehog girl, however it's fine for a human girl to be hitting on an anthro hedgehog guy.

At least Sonic 06 made it clear that no, we are not ok with that.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
I actually did a research paper on six degrees of separation and was able to link old 1930s serials to Sonic & Knuckles. Laputa is the name of the island from Gulliver's travels but it is also the ancient civilization filled floating planet from Miyazaki's Laputa: Castle in the Sky. Also the inspiration for Regigigas and I suppose the guardians in Breath of the Wild.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Any excuse to post this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9fHGdR1IyM

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

This. This is perfect. Lots of people are excited about Sonic Forces, I... am hesitant. BUT HEY AT LEAST WE GET COOL JOHN THE ROCK-CHIDNA NOW OCOCOC DO NOT STEAL

TheFattestPat posted:

I never understood that unwritten rule how it's ok for a human female to be involved with an anthropomorphic male, but not the other way around. They could have used Amy instead of Sara in the OVA, but for some reason it's considered a lot creepier for Eggman to be hitting on an anthro hedgehog girl, however it's fine for a human girl to be hitting on an anthro hedgehog guy.

At least Sonic 06 made it clear that no, we are not ok with that.

Right? It's super weird in both directions, I don't know how we got to the point where human girl + non-human boy is apparently okay, 'cause god drat, no. I was going to make a joke about the sex, but apparently hedgehog sex is pretty boring mammal stuff. And now "hedgehog penis" is on the search history of my work laptop. Thanks for that, Sonic OVA.

Houle posted:

I actually did a research paper on six degrees of separation and was able to link old 1930s serials to Sonic & Knuckles. Laputa is the name of the island from Gulliver's travels but it is also the ancient civilization filled floating planet from Miyazaki's Laputa: Castle in the Sky. Also the inspiration for Regigigas and I suppose the guardians in Breath of the Wild.

Oh wow, I never thought about Laputa and Regigigas being connected, but I suppose I could see that. But yeah, basically any floating castle with a yellow tint is essentially an homage to Castle in the Sky. And now I want to play Wonder Boy in Monster World again, just from the phrase "castle in the sky".

OH MAN, THIS KICKS rear end, I LOVE IT.

Oh, and as you guys might have guessed - yes, we did a full D-Pad + Chill of the movie! Was hoping to have the next episode of actual Sonic gameplay up yesterday, but things took a bit longer than expected - shooting for later this afternoon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etFkK_bsgE0

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

OPEN YOUR HEART, IT'S GONNA BE ALRIIIIIIIGHT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_tLXeRBSb8

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Sonic Adventure was a big budget game released around the year 2000, so you know what that means?

It got a Techno Remix Album

Did you want a Remix of Big's theme by Meat Beat Manifesto? Three Open Your Heart Remixes? Remixes of Tails' theme that makes him sound like a psychotic murderer?

No?

Well I have terrible news for you.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Houle posted:

It also means "the whore" in Spanish. The name and the island was Swift's not-so-subtle slam on the Royal Society of Britain. He was criticizing them for being pompous, self-aggrandizing bufoons who cared more about the idea of new discoveries rather than the discoveries themselves. In the book, they were so obsessed with science that they didn't care that their wives would sleep with other men. As well, the king of Laputa was a tyrant who would try to use his city to blot out the sun for the people on the ground.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The reason they're talking about how the dirt is the same as the Mystic ruins like that's something actually noteworthy, is because it is. That massive rock-face that exploded is supposed to be the side of the Floating Island, which crashed into the Mystic Ruins in the Intro movie. And not everyone can use the water/panel/casino/ice spirit to travel into the past like the main 6 characters can.

As an aside, I really like the Guitar track that plays in the first part of Icecap.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 26, 2017

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Caught up with... oh, actually more videos than you've posted in the thread, ricdesi.

Whichever of your co-commentators keeps making fun of the Tails theme is doing it a bit of a disservice: he's clearly singing the SA2 version of the song, which was an, uh, ambitious cover. I mean, I see what they were going for, but they really had to torture the metre to make the same lyrics fit. The Sonic Adventure version is actually pretty decent:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEZ2UNKrm8c

And now I've unironically* defended a piece of post-megadrive Sanic music, so I guess I need to go and open a Deviantart account.

(*my spell-checker wants to correct this to "ultrasonically")

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

Dzhay posted:

Caught up with... oh, actually more videos than you've posted in the thread, ricdesi.

Yeahhh. I was out camping all weekend (and scrambled my balls off trying to get videos exporting in time before I had to go Friday afternoon -- arrived late and slightly mucked up the weekend, it was awesome), and wound up dropping the ball on video updates, because I completely suck lately.

Missing videos are linked below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8FoepSTTTE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACQKf5K5ynw https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTDVZoBTyPU https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfOUlYjvWlw

Part 6 is coming this evening (6pm EDT iirc), and this time BEN is behind the wheel (for Sonic's most frustrating levels! PERFECT). I mentioned this on the official D-Pad Twitter, but we initially were expecting to miss this week entirely for Sonic Adventure until we managed to pull off an emergency recording session last night getting us all the way through Sonic's story (11 videos in total). So rather than double up episodes and clogging/oversaturating everything, we're gonna make this week Wednesday to Sunday instead of Monday to Friday and just continue as normal from there. So 10 videos over the next 10 days, basically. Just wanted to toss that out there.

SSNeoman posted:

It also means "the whore" in Spanish. The name and the island was Swift's not-so-subtle slam on the Royal Society of Britain. He was criticizing them for being pompous, self-aggrandizing bufoons who cared more about the idea of new discoveries rather than the discoveries themselves. In the book, they were so obsessed with science that they didn't care that their wives would sleep with other men. As well, the king of Laputa was a tyrant who would try to use his city to blot out the sun for the people on the ground.

I thought "puta" was closer to "bitch" than "whore"? I'm not in any way fluent at all (grew up with French instead), so I might be way off-base on that one. That is a FANTASTIC bilingual potshot, I never would have noticed had you not brought it up!

Kurieg posted:

The reason they're talking about how the dirt is the same as the Mystic ruins like that's something actually noteworthy, is because it is. That massive rock-face that exploded is supposed to be the side of the Floating Island, which crashed into the Mystic Ruins in the Intro movie. And not everyone can use the water/panel/casino/ice spirit to travel into the past like the main 6 characters can.

Oh, weird... that does make sense, but yeesh, they did not make that particular connection super clear.

Dzhay posted:

Whichever of your co-commentators keeps making fun of the Tails theme is doing it a bit of a disservice: he's clearly singing the SA2 version of the song, which was an, uh, ambitious cover. I mean, I see what they were going for, but they really had to torture the metre to make the same lyrics fit.

That's C/J in a nutshell when it comes to singing anything but glam rock or metal. He's a drummer.

Honestly, I don't mind the SA2 version all that much, but... yeah, the lyrics are CRAZY awkward in what is otherwise a solid beach rock song. The chorus is pretty passable (arguably better than the SA1 version) but gently caress me, the verses are clunky as poo poo.

Dzhay posted:

And now I've unironically* defended a piece of post-megadrive Sanic music, so I guess I need to go and open a Deviantart account.

I'll be that guy: I actually enjoyed almost all of the Sonic Heroes soundtrack. And even most of that game's levels (aside from how repetitive it feels). Looking forward to that one about as much as SA2 atm.

Dzhay posted:

(*my spell-checker wants to correct this to "ultrasonically")

Fun fact: there are several levels of "sonicness" (not a word) to describe speeds. Obviously there's "subsonic" (slower than the speed of sound), "sonic" (the speed of sound), and "supersonic" (faster than the speed of sound), but there's also a few less official ones which include a real beaut: "plasmasonic". It describes the speed (roughly Mach 10) at which the friction caused by air resistance generates so much heat that the air around the object turns to plasma.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

ricdesi posted:

I thought "puta" was closer to "bitch" than "whore"? I'm not in any way fluent at all (grew up with French instead), so I might be way off-base on that one. That is a FANTASTIC bilingual potshot, I never would have noticed had you not brought it up!
Perra is bitch.

quote:

Oh, weird... that does make sense, but yeesh, they did not make that particular connection super clear.
Yeah the layout of the mystic ruins is pretty confusing, it's not clear what's supposed to be where because the Lost Ruins/Final Egg area is on the other side of the same mountain range as the floating island but is pretty clearly not on the floating island? But Icecap and red mountain 100% are.

quote:

I'll be that guy: I actually enjoyed almost all of the Sonic Heroes soundtrack. And even most of that game's levels (aside from how repetitive it feels). Looking forward to that one about as much as SA2 atm.
I will be that guy with you, the music in Sonic Heroes is honestly pretty good on the whole, the issue is that it's not "I am prepared to listen to this for 24 minutes on loop four times in a row." good.

And the music in Sonic 2006 is honestly very good, I will fight you.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
And Pinche is gently caress or loving. I'm a fan of this Spanish swearing side conversation. Duolingo unfortunately doesn't cover this topic. There's also a fun phrase my fiancé exasperated towards me once "Hijo de su madre " which is son of your mother.

More on topic. It's a shame Knuckles doesn't have access to the more traditional levels. He seems to control the smoothest on foot - especially in SA2. Though I suppose Sonic Adventure was them not knowing what to do and trying to do an little of everything since it has quite the varied gameplay and goals. There were a lot of complaints about this - that the classic gameplay was comprising so little of the game. I mostly remember this because of a Penny Arcade comic drawn around that time.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Everyone except Big has a trick that lets them move through levels quickly (perhaps most relevantly for you, Rick, if you do Amy's hammer attack in the air she'll land in a full run) But my favorite has to be Gamma, the balance between fast movement and the need to chain together kills is enjoyable in a way that the mech playstyle in SA2 isn't.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sonic r is easy and I 100%ed it when I was 10 :smuggo:

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Kurieg posted:

Everyone except Big has a trick that lets them move through levels quickly (perhaps most relevantly for you, Rick, if you do Amy's hammer attack in the air she'll land in a full run) But my favorite has to be Gamma, the balance between fast movement and the need to chain together kills is enjoyable in a way that the mech playstyle in SA2 isn't.

Big's trick is "know where Froggy is and just go straight there".

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

"I'll cut them off at the mystic ruins!"
(camera rather purposefully pans down to the stairwell to the train station)
"Where's the train station?"

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

No one ever said we were smart. Hell, we pretty strongly advertise how oblivious we can be at times. That said... yeah.

Currently taking time out of prepping for a wedding, because life is totally normal and everything! Thankfully this next week will be mostly returning to normal for me (briefly, before vanishing for like two weeks) so I'm gonna do the best I can to not have everything collapse around me and this thread in the meantime. I am not doing great at that not happening, major apologies to you guys :\

For anyone looking for the remainder of the Sonic's Story videos, here they are! BONUS: IT'S BEN PLAYING NOW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ghm8TUwTPRI https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UDbh-1LAC4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLNokeazl8M https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aJmwEjOXHM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoiOMcici6I https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cT6nt9MX9Bk

I'll post the Tails ones tonight or early tomorrow (along with the video going up later on tonight), we've got a college buddy of mine and fan of the show joining us, it was a pretty rad time!

Namtab posted:

Sonic r is easy and I 100%ed it when I was 10 :smuggo:

THIS TRIGGERS ME

ricdesi
Mar 18, 2014

I'M GONNA FLY HIIIIIIGH

So hey, Tails' story was like... super short. Kinda forgot going in that you can pretty much speedrun the gently caress out of his story (unless you get lost like us morons looking for the red Chaos Emerald). As an added bonus, my buddy Dave (aka "Hyper Mode" on YouTube in the comments) was up for the weekend we recorded it, so he got to take a swing at piloting for a while, was good times.

Part 12: "Start Playing the Funky Music"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90RR3t9fXMw

Part 13: "Give It Your Be--Oh No"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cEPVKxdvDo

Part 14: "Some Kind of Colon Things"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ONai75USqY

Part 15: "An Ancient Civilization of Punching Echidnas"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pnS77hOgis

Part 16: "This Must Be the Sky Deck"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-Gq8T5BAP8

Part 17: "This Egg Can Walk"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdNCh_2cMIQ

I'll be honest, I wasn't 100% sure what to do about the numbering here. On the one hand, I could re-label the first set of videos up to "Sonic PART 11" then restart with "Tails PART 1", but considering there are lingering effects such as discoverable items visible in later playthroughs and progress in the Chao Garden (which we have yet to really explore), it seemed more sensible to just keep a single numbering scheme. Not sure if anyone's got strong feelings one way or the other.

Knuckles' story has only just begun, but we've got two videos going up for it today (since yesterday there was a minor computer meltdown) so I'll be adding that in later tonight!

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
That thing on Tails' foot during the credits is the Jet Anklet, which you can find in the reservoir behind Twinkle Park. After Sonic all of the other characters have one required upgrade item and one optional one, and Big has four more somewhat lesser upgrades as well. I remember Knuckles' optional item was the hardest for me to track down as a kid.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Some VA facts

Deem Bristow, the voice of Eggman in SA1 and SA2, as well as another character in SA2 (which I'll point out when you get to it) only appeared in so few games because he actually suddenly died while dancing at a night club. He was only 57.

John St. John voiced Big, who is also the voice actor best known for Duke Nukem.

Tikal was voiced by someone who worked on the game, which seems to be the case a lot of the time during that era since Peach in Super Mario was voiced by someone who worked on the game, or the daughter of someone who worked on the game (I forget which).

Also, the Indiana Jones ball chase scene is actually them finally getting to do what they wanted to do since the original Sonic the Hedgehog. The ball crusher from the first boss was actually going to be a ball that followed Sonic, but limitations or something lead to them not being able to implement it.

Most of the textures are actually photographs while Sonic Team traveled abroad for ideas and concept for a game. They were just tiled accordingly.

As buggy as the game is, this is actually fairly stable. The original release was rushed out because of Sega's producers (which ends up being the case for most Sonic games, unfortunately) and an international release was made later on. Originally you could download various skins and eastereggs online to follow the theme of which ever holiday it was on.

Basically this all comes from my time browsing theghz.com back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FXglHbYB1Y4