Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/869555541080764418

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/869556119693389825

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Get rid of elections, all seats are ballot drawn.

The dictatorship of the civil service

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

More of this please. Can't help thinking McDonnell would have been a better choice of leader. Way more willing to play dirty and yell a bit. I imagine he would be crucified on the IRA stuff even more than Corbyn though tbh

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

kustomkarkommando posted:

*Sir Humphrey smiles*

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ThomasPaine posted:

More of this please. Can't help thinking McDonnell would have been a better choice of leader. Way more willing to play dirty and yell a bit. I imagine he would be crucified on the IRA stuff even more than Corbyn though tbh

I think the only reason Corbyn survives is that he puts on the "sweet old man" look that draws a lot of sympathy. McDonnell is a much better attack-dog, but would probably not have been acceptable as leader.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Finally government can get to work without all that bothersome politics

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

I, for one, am shocked by the prospect that young people might go out and vote in larger numbers when somebody actually bothers to appeal to them.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

kustomkarkommando posted:

I'd be absolutely fine with that, their ideas are a shitload better than those of ministers.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

nopantsjack posted:

What's great about this is how no deal is basically the worst possible outcome and nobody is calling her out on it.

"Give me what I want or I'll shoot myself in the face."
I suppose negotiating like a suicide threatening incel is a form of negotiation...

Paxman kept pushing her to say "I am prepared to walk away with no deal" last night and she wouldn't do it, just kept repeating her focus group catchphrase. He could have outright demanded that she say it but he let her off

Every time this hypothetical bad deal is brought up, it's always basically 'no deal' with an added smack in the face, like 'no agreements plus you give us billions as punishment, muahaha!' Which means no deal is technically better (by definition), but we're always told that the EU wants a good, mutually beneficial deal where everything is great, so their own worst case scenario is something May doesn't believe would happen

So it's either a pure bluff that the EU team will see through immediately, affecting nothing, or the Tories are genuinely prepared to walk us off a cliff if they don't get everything they want

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

I think this might be a clever stance to take. Could trigger a tiny tiny ounce of sympathy in some journalists.

https://twitter.com/mikeysmith/status/869556783878213637

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
I actually bothered to check the numbers before, their "full unweighted" 50% doesn't match up to current registration numbers.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Cerebral Bore posted:

I, for one, am shocked by the prospect that young people might go out and vote in larger numbers when somebody actually bothers to appeal to them.

They won't though.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

I love the last paragraph because it's basically "we have no loving idea what's going on atm tbh"

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Oberleutnant posted:

I love the last paragraph because it's basically "we have no loving idea what's going on atm tbh"

Well, they do. They're just sceptical that 18-24 year olds will be as likely to vote as they're claiming.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

peanut- posted:

They won't though.

they've registered in numbers that would go well over what ICM are suggesting is their limit. Labour are pretty aware they need to hold their attention, and momentum and JC are spamming my feed with policies on childcare and education. I really don't think pushing for a 25 year high turnout is unreasonable. On its own it's not going to be enough, and it's what Labour can do to suppress the olds at this point.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Oberleutnant posted:

They're basically going "it's worked this way every other time so it must work this time too"

which isn't very sensible

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Spangly A posted:

they've registered in numbers that would go well over what ICM are suggesting is their limit. Labour are pretty aware they need to hold their attention, and momentum and JC are spamming my feed with policies on childcare and education. I really don't think pushing for a 25 year high turnout is unreasonable. On its own it's not going to be enough, and it's what Labour can do to suppress the olds at this point.

82% would be a bit more than a 25 year high:

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/869476398511140864

mfcrocker posted:

They're basically going "it's worked this way every other time so it must work this time too"

Why not?

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

it's the culture police

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Those 2001/2005/2015 numbers are really loving depressing.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

mfcrocker posted:

It seems more sensible to rely on young peoples extremely robust track record of not voting than to assume a sudden and massive turnaround.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

peanut- posted:

It seems more sensible to rely on young peoples extremely robust track record of not voting than to assume a sudden and massive turnaround.

If everything was still the same yes. But where previous Labour parties were utterly uninteresting for young voters, Corbyn's Labour has done a fuckton to re-engage them.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

TheRat posted:

That 2010 spike was Cleggmania and the tuition fee promise.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

peanut- posted:

*bets the house on remain* don't you know people always swing back to the status quo.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
You know I bet the reason your polls are so unreliable is actually due to 5 year terms.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Pissflaps posted:

82% would be a bit more than a 25 year high:

https://twitter.com/election_data/status/869476398511140864

Why not?

It's a little apples to oranges to compare voting intention percentages directly to voting record so you certainly don't need 82% to turn out to hit the survation poll numbers as-is. The same poll has 65+ at 88% likely to vote where the actual number is likely to be somewhere in the mid 70s.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

peanut- posted:

There's perhaps been a few instances in the last year or so that suggest that politics ain't quite what it used to be

orange sky
May 7, 2007

So what would you guys say, if things keep going as they are right now, is the probability of Labour winning?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

orange sky posted:

So what would you guys say, if things keep going as they are right now, is the probability of Labour winning?

5%

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

orange sky posted:

Do you really want to know? Because the actual answer isn't particularly nice.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

There's a really weird thing happening where journalists who have been ultra-opposed to Corbyn/Labour appear to be turning around

https://twitter.com/ThatTimWalker/status/869564507806461953

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Do you guys need a simple majority to pass legislation? With the current polls Tories wouldn't get that majority, right? Or do the winners get bonus seats or something (this is simply put the most retarded system ever tbh)

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

TheRat posted:

2005 was actually the first year I was eligible to vote and the dynamic there between a really lovely Labour party that had taken us into a deeply unpopular war, and a Tory party still trying to shed its "nasty party" image by running a platform that was built on anti-immigration policy.

So yeah, all I'm saying is; I'm not loving surprised.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

TheRat posted:

There's a really weird thing happening where journalists who have been ultra-opposed to Corbyn/Labour appear to be turning around

https://twitter.com/ThatTimWalker/status/869564507806461953

shame keir starmer is a prick tho

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

orange sky posted:

Do you guys need a simple majority to pass legislation? With the current polls Tories wouldn't get that majority, right? Or do the winners get bonus seats or something (this is simply put the most retarded system ever tbh)

We have a first past the post parliamentary system. The Tories will get a majority of seats based on current polling.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH
Boy surprised you're that optimistic. I don't even know if I'd put Labour at a 5% of being able to form a coalition gov't with anyone. Keeping the Tories short of a majority is doable though also unlikely though. I'd put that at maybe 10-15% chance.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

orange sky posted:

First Past The Post means Tories get absolute majority with current polls. In 2015 they got 50.8% of the seats from 36.9% of the vote share.

waffle posted:

Boy surprised you're that optimistic. I don't even know if I'd put Labour at a 5% of being able to form a coalition gov't with anyone. Keeping the Tories short of a majority is doable though also unlikely though.

If I remember correctly, that's the odds betting companies are giving Labour majority at the moment.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You know I bet the reason your polls are so unreliable is actually due to 5 year terms.

I saw this thing on Nate Silver's website about the unreliability of British polling the other day (maybe from itt even) and was talking about it with :siren: MY SPANISH GIRLFRIEND :siren:.
Her opinion (and she said that this is shared by a lot of her spanish mates in the uk) is that we Britons are a pathologically insincere and emotionally stunted people, that we're incapable of being open or honest for fear of judgement by people around us, and that this applies even to ourselves and our loved ones so how the gently caress are we going to be honest with pollsters.
I thought it was a little bit harsh and I cried later.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Oberleutnant posted:

I saw this thing on Nate Silver's website about the unreliability of British polling the other day (maybe from itt even) and was talking about it with :siren: MY SPANISH GIRLFRIEND :siren:.
Her opinion (and she said that this is shared by a lot of her spanish mates in the uk) is that we Britons are a pathologically insincere and emotionally stunted people, that we're incapable of being open or honest for fear of judgement by people around us, and that this applies even to ourselves and our loved ones so how the gently caress are we going to be honest with pollsters.

As a foreign, your girlfriend is 100% on the money and sounds like a good lass.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

orange sky posted:

Electoral Calculus currently has it at about 19% if you count Lab majority and various potential coalition choices all as wins. That's with polling data that only goes up to the 27th so potentially 20+%.

Hard to do anything more than guess at this point, really. So many unknowns particularly in terms of turnout that might render all polling wrong to the point of irrelevance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Oberleutnant posted:

But not in front of her, right?!?!?

• Locked thread