Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

I agree, it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

I'm scared :riker:

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Saucer Crab posted:

I agree, it's good.

:vince:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Saucer Crab posted:

I agree, it's good.

It's evolving.

Freaksaus
Jun 13, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This is great.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

imagine all those mog station items and jump potions these avatars could have been

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ilifinicus posted:

imagine all those mog station items and jump potions these avatars could have been

Well, someone's gotta keep the lights on here.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Saucer Crab posted:

I agree, it's good.

Could the avatar faerie please give us all this one?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Man, you go away for a weekend, and you come back and there's nothing but Rikers.

...I'd be shocked if that wasn't actually a TNG episode; Picard and, ooh, say, Geordi have to go in a shuttle for a bit and when they get back everyone on the Enterprise is now Jonathan Frankes.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Saucer Crab posted:

I agree, it's good.

Amazing.

I just realized that the discount on GS items is only for the ones on the event merchant. So if there are any mounts you still need you'll just have to grind them out.

200 person Typhon GATE is definitely an experience everyone should have BTW. Typhon got so much xp.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
One Fister Roboto was already too much.

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thread finally got good after 1000 pages :getin:
Edit: 2000 pages

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Is there any utility to doing to GS event, or is it kinda self contained "Do GS event to get more GS stuff and maybe some cosmetic fluff?" This is starting from never touching GS.

Also, what the gently caress happened in here?

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
The only Gold Saucer reward that isn't an achievement, cosmetic or higher tier of Gold Saucer content is the possibility you can get another Squadron applicant by completing the Gold Saucer challenge log.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I haven't played this game in over a year and not going to break my streak for ARR 3. Good luck in weebland though. Cya Riker bros.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 30, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Belzac posted:

I haven't played this game in over a year and not going to break my streak for ARR 3. Good luck in weebland though. Cya Riker bros.

May the fracture be with you

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

May the fracture be with you

That's not Star Trek, that's Star Wars! It doesn't even make sense now!

It's supposed to be Live Long and Fracture.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Belzac posted:

Bring back Tanaka. 1.x was better.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Am I safe, is Riker time over?

Actually surprisingly like the new hair on elezen. Gotta wait until it's old to use it though

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I didn't care for 1.x and while I absolutely loved 2.x the game has not progressed in positive aspects since that time. The dev team has entered a comfy rhythm of repetitive updates that made the game unrelentingly stale. 2 new dps jobs and a slightly revamped cross class system aren't going to change that. I might play again if they do something interesting with the jobs or raiding system but since they're committed to dropping stillborn content like Diadem and GS updates rather than revamping core aspects it seems like that will be a long while.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Saucer Crab posted:

I agree, it's good.

oh poo poo nice

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Belzac posted:

I didn't care for 1.x and while I absolutely loved 2.x the game has not progressed in positive aspects since that time. The dev team has entered a comfy rhythm of repetitive updates that made the game unrelentingly stale. 2 new dps jobs and a slightly revamped cross class system aren't going to change that. I might play again if they do something interesting with the jobs or raiding system but since they're committed to dropping stillborn content like Diadem and GS updates rather than revamping core aspects it seems like that will be a long while.

Out of curiosity, which "core aspects" would you like to see revamped?

Not being argumentative, I'm genuinely curious.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Mordiceius posted:

Bring back Tanaka. 1.x was better.

{Miqo'te} {Assize} {Can you repair it?}

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

We're seeing major core revamps in Stormblood of the type you cannot just drop in a mid expansion content patch.

Yeah diadem fell flat, but it's a decent concept that I think they'll get right eventually.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
No part of diadem is good, concept or reality.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

That's not Star Trek, that's Star Wars! It doesn't even make sense now!

It's supposed to be Live Long and Fracture.

I thought it was supposed to be use the fracture Luke

Leal fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 30, 2017

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Diadem, more like Diadon't bother

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Corn Dog Fountain posted:

Am I safe, is Riker time over?

i'm fairly sure whoever bought all those avatars has sobered up, yes

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
I'd like to see additional jobs take a different path than as each new one makes the previous in the role less unique, skews balance further off course, and adds mounds of busywork for people that want to have options at end game.

If you had every ARR job at 50 before HW you had to level 10 jobs up 10 levels. HW to SB will be 13. SB to whatever will be 15, especially adding an increasing static cost on end game players to minimal benefit. I've spoken several times in the past about how rather than abhoring the armory system and doing everything they can to pretend it doesn't exist they should be taking full advantage of it to deliver us more diverse jobs at lower development and player investment cost.

Rather than story mode, hard mode, harder mode, etc for raids combined with nothing else to do with your actual character between patches I'd like to see a combination on more frequent raid updates, less requirements on grinding the same content repeatedly for months, a focus on recoverable raids instead of instant late fight wipes, a focus on playing your character perfectly over playing the fight perfectly, less focus on story that sucks anyway, and in general shorter fights that don't drain your soul to repeat or progress through.

This can be mitigated by more end game content that actually uses your character and the battle system and gives you some form of progression. I don't have any specific ideas for this but some form of minor or side upgrades combined with a PotD system that doesn't use some other character vaguely related to your character only by having the same name and appearance, is probably good place to start. The focus on low effort grinds (diadem/story mode/24 mans) or completely out of main gameplay side content that does nothing for your personal progression (GS, PotD, Airships, housing, treasure maps, etc) means there's very little to actually DO in the game if your love is the gameplay itself and not the ascetics or social circles.

I guess that's some thoughts on it, I haven't thought very much about xiv in a year. I quit cause I was bored with raiding and without raiding there was nothing else to really keep me there.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

14,000 HP healers in A12.

Even not in Savage, I think this might just be a bit low...

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Out of curiosity, which "core aspects" would you like to see revamped?

Not being argumentative, I'm genuinely curious.

I'm not Belzac but for me, it's the constant rehashing of old content. dungeons are a major feature of patches, but extremely shallow affairs. I have no idea how to fix that though. I would say make a harder version of the dungeon for use in dailies, but the whole point of roulette is to get people to help newbies through so that's right out.

The combat is insanely stale as well once you know your rotation, and i say that as a smn who gets to akh morn stuff every 60 seconds. ffxiv could steal the gw2 combo system where you can do moves on or through friendly aoe circles for an additional effect. Imagine being a bard and shooting arrows through a Sacred Soil, causing a shower of white sparks to fall and do small heals on allies. or a warrior hitting an enemy in a flaming arrow area giving them an additional tiny burning debuff for a second.

Increase the amount of small damage that goes out during fights so that using the sacred soil combo in this way will let the dps help take some strain off you.

This is just dumb spitballing of course, i believe ffxiv does a lot of things way better than other games but i don't think combat is one of them.

E: i actually agree with belzac's write-up a lot, though i don't have an opinion on fracture

Jinh fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 30, 2017

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Belzac posted:

good riddance

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
gw2's combat is rear end. don't make this combat like that combat.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm still upset about what a disappointment Guild Wars 2 was.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jinh posted:

The combat is insanely stale as well once you know your rotation, and i say that as a smn who gets to akh morn stuff every 60 seconds. ffxiv could steal the gw2 combo system where you can do moves on or through friendly aoe circles for an additional effect. Imagine being a bard and shooting arrows through a Sacred Soil, causing a shower of white sparks to fall and do small heals on allies. or a warrior hitting an enemy in a flaming arrow area giving them an additional tiny burning debuff for a second.

Skillchains have probably ruined the idea of direct player interaction like that for SE.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Do you actually like any MMO's? You just described the problems with all of them. FFXIV handles the majority of your complaints way better then WoW or GW2 or Wildstar or whatever. I'm super curious what MMO you actually like.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Guild Wars 2 has great combat; they just seem to have largely given up on creating encounters for you to use it in.

(Also they gave up on pretty much every other thing that made GW2 unique and an improvement over other MMOs. I can't believe they just decided to give up on the whole concept of dungeons without even really trying to fix them.)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Less focus on the story would make me less interested in FFXIV because it's one of the things I find appealing about the game, and no MMO has strong enough mechanics to keep me paying monthly if I don't like the aesthetics and other elements.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

YamiNoSenshi posted:

Is there any utility to doing to GS event, or is it kinda self contained "Do GS event to get more GS stuff and maybe some cosmetic fluff?" This is starting from never touching GS.

Also, what the gently caress happened in here?

Murdering old PCs/PS4s in the Golden Saucer last night was cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkxpgWgMu0k

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i played a lot of gw2 and if you find spamming one ability in between other four abilities on cooldown to be 'great combat' i don't think you're allowed to have an opinion on combat systems.

• Locked thread