Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Alucard is going to embrace me and then I'm going to live forever so jokes on you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

Cool I think my PC just died

RIP, that sucks :(

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Serf posted:

Joke's on you I lust for death.

Also I've been playing a lot of Endless Space 2 while I wait.

How is it? I liked endless legends a lot but I didn't play it till it had like a year of patches so idk how it was at launch.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I care about death but also eat burgers sometimes, and not the healthy dill salmon ones, the ones that have sautéed apples, bacon, maple mayo, sharp cheddar and are called something like The Vermonster.

Serf
May 5, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

How is it? I liked endless legends a lot but I didn't play it till it had like a year of patches so idk how it was at launch.

Pretty good imo. There's lots that needs to be added to the game, but for right now playing each of the factions is lots of fun because each one changes how you play the game pretty substantially. Some are more weird than others, but tooling around figuring out how to make them work has kept my attention. Also the story quests and branching storyline are really interesting and add a lot to the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

an actual dog posted:

RIP, that sucks :(

Seems to be back now but it's perpetually teetering on the the precipice due to everything in it being almost 7 years old

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Seems to be back now but it's perpetually teetering on the the precipice due to everything in it being almost 7 years old

Just replace the part that's not working properly

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

I tend to try to build a new one every 6 years or so, so I guess that's a "good" a time as any for it to happen.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sakurazuka posted:

How is it failing? Could just be a faulty RAM stick, which is an easy fix. A bad power supply is a little more serious though since that can inflict harm to your entire system.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Serf posted:

Pretty good imo. There's lots that needs to be added to the game, but for right now playing each of the factions is lots of fun because each one changes how you play the game pretty substantially. Some are more weird than others, but tooling around figuring out how to make them work has kept my attention. Also the story quests and branching storyline are really interesting and add a lot to the game.

That's cool, the wildly different factions were definitely the best part of EL.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

All computers are going to die it's nature's law.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
All is death

Give in to entropy

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
My last build was in November 2015, and was my first attempt with water cooling & positive air pressure (more intakes than outtakes, with filters on the intakes). Was a blast to build and insanely quiet somehow, and it turns out the positive pressure thing makes a huge difference because when I opened it up a year later it had no dust build up at all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Andrast posted:

Just replace the part that's not working properly

I keep trying to explain to some people when I say my PC isn't working that there isn't any such thing as a "brand new computer," you just keep replacing parts, but the joke's on me, because it's been so long since I replaced any of the pieces that next time I may actually be buying all of the parts except for peripherals.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The greatest mystery of the universe is why it decided to ever go about the business of being in a more ordered state to begin with. But that was a good thing in the long run because it allowed for the constant arrow of time, the transfer of heat from warm to cold bodies, the collapse and formation of matter into stars, and ultimately, video games.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

The greatest mystery of the universe is why it decided to ever go about the business of being in a more ordered state to begin with. But that was a good thing in the long run because it allowed for the constant arrow of time, the transfer of heat from warm to cold bodies, the collapse and formation of matter into stars, and ultimately, video games.

These Douglas Adams books get weirder every year!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The weirdest thing about our universe is that it once existed in a state of zero entropy, total uniformity and rigidity in all number of possible configurations. Now because we live in an expanding universe, the amount of possible configurations of where stuff can be is always increasing, and therefore the entropy is always increasing. But due to fluctuations and the infinite passage of time, the entropy of an isolated system can decrease in an area, which explains why loose matter on a local level can collapse into things like stars and planets, and ultimately life. But if that's true, then why do we live in a reality where the entire UNIVERSE existed within a single place in time? The amount of time you'd need to wait for the position of absolutely everything to converge upon a single point would be almost infinite. Conversely, you'd have to wait much less time for a localized configuration of matter to collapse into one human being, or even for a star system housing an earth-like planet. Much easier and frequently would the laws of entropy allow for one star system here, another there. But that doesn't seem to be the case. Everywhere we can observe, the universe appears to be uniform and isotropic in all directions, which is just mindblowing.

Anyway that doesn't have a whole lot to do with video games although for these reasons I am partial to any spell or talent that has Entropy in the name.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Some time ago I picked up Yorbie on PSN for $.99 and last night I decided to play it on a time-killing whim. Let me warn anyone who sees this title on some sale that it is not worth any amount of money. It gave off a strong impression of being someone's final project at Digipen or Full Sail with maybe a few months of extra tweaking. I'll run down some transgressions from the first level: it's a twin-stick shooter but the character doesn't aim in the direction of the right stick, bullets just fly from the gun in that direction (often traveling through the character); the melee attack looks like the character is throwing a punch in reverse or prodding enemies with his gun; crates can only be destroyed with melee attacks, because bullets just bounce them around; insulting level design even for the first stage, with lots of pushing buttons to make another button three feet away accessible; voiced lines with the frequency of Blasto, but without the humor or Phil Hartman's voice. Not that anyone needed me to warn them off of Yorbie, but it was kind of spectacular in its stunted execution.

In other news, my phone spent three minutes four feet under water yesterday and while I got it to turn back on with the rice trick, it still thinks headphones are constantly plugged in and the fingerprint reader functionality seems to be toast. Anyone have experience with a phone repair company and think that's something they could handle? I'm giving it another day in the rice bath and I'll start calling around tomorrow if it doesn't get better.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 30, 2017

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Macaluso posted:

For those of you that care, Jim Sterling this week changes the look of his show a bit and he talks about it here:

http://www.thejimquisition.com/the-jimquisition-reposition/

I know there have been several comments when his stuff is posted about how his theme just ended up looking too much like Nazi stuff. He agreed and changed his look to more like... evil ringmaster thing.

This is only kind of related to video games but Jim Sterling has been brought up enough in this thread with those Nazi complaints that I feel some people might be interested.

Is he just wearing a different hat

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I suppose if he just talked over gameplay videos he'd get more comparisons to totalbiscuit but this guy's schtick seems really dumb and just inviting criticism

also "jimquisition" lol

Good for him for changing in light of the Nazi poo poo though I guess.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only part of that article that is incorrect is the part wherein he states the dictator gimmick was funny in the first place.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Talking over gameplay is most of his videos

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I just don't think Jim Sterling is funny regardless of whatever gimmick he adopts.

And I hate his voice.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

At this point if a video game youtube person doesn't constantly complain about feminism and make rape jokes, they're ok in my book.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Actually I think you'll find he's the number one kissboy.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I watch/listen to a lot of GB so I'm not going to be like, man I'm above all this poo poo, but I think at bare minimum you need at least one other person for these youtube personalities so that they can have someone to bounce off of rather than just having some angry face screaming alone at the camera.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

My bird said "Excuuuse me, princess!" at the little girl asking for help in HZD, but I can't control what that little Edgelord says into the mic.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I care very little about Jim's thoughts on actual video games, but I do think his takedowns of developers/publishers/individuals that do genuinely lovely things are good, and I'm impressed with the independent position he's in where he makes all his money from Patreon and not advertising so he can gently caress with YouTube's ad system and such.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

It's me, I'm the one not cool enough to immediately dismiss the Youtube guy

Help Im Alive posted:

Is he just wearing a different hat

Basically he's just playing into a showman schtick instead of a dictator. Outfit-wise it's basically just a new hat and now he carries a cane around, but I think that's just because this is already the persona he's been playing into for a while anyway. Now he's just dressing more the part I guess.

mutata posted:

I care very little about Jim's thoughts on actual video games, but I do think his takedowns of developers/publishers/individuals that do genuinely lovely things are good, and I'm impressed with the independent position he's in where he makes all his money from Patreon and not advertising so he can gently caress with YouTube's ad system and such.

Yeah, I largely don't agree with his takes on actual games, but the Jimquisition show is entirely about pointing out lovely things developers, publishers, and occasionally other Youtubers or internet brigades do and it's entertaining for that.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Unless you're paying for his content I don't see why so many posters care enough to voice how much they hate sterling lol

I can understand not liking his style or disagreeing with his opinions but there's a lot of merit to what he does. Also his content is entirely free.

I couldn't stand the guy's voice but can tolerate it now and some of his videos are really informative. His wanna be dictator schick falls flat and is kinda cringey, so I'm glad to see him lean away from that.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I was kind of hoping for a gimmick that would actually play into the consumer advocacy substance of the show but it owns not having to breathlessly explain that the YouTube opinions man isn't an actual Nazi.

"Look, I know he looks a bit like a carnival barker, but he's not actually a carnival barker at all! He regularly expresses anti-barker sentiment both in his videos and on his Twitter! It's only natural to be wary when so many videogame YouTubers are exposing themselves as carnival barker sympathizers or apologists but I promise you he's not that kind of guy!"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Carnival barkers should be punched, I've believed this since watching A Bug's Life as a child, so I'm glad Jim Sterling has chosen to go from one extremely punchable stereotype to another.

edit: Not that I want to punch him. I am not like that person who went and stood outside his house and took pictures

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Preload starts this afternoon. Get hype
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKfHsqxb38U

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Harrow posted:

Basically he's just playing into a showman schtick instead of a dictator. Outfit-wise it's basically just a new hat and now he carries a cane around, but I think that's just because this is already the persona he's been playing into for a while anyway. Now he's just dressing more the part I guess.

I was maybe expecting a bigger rebranding like at least moving away from the red/black or ditching the trenchcoat/gloves/that wings emblem or something

i haven't watched his videos but I guess good for him for being a big video game guy who isn't a terrible person

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

Yeah I guess you could look at it that way if you like being a loving bummer

being a buzzkill is kinda tea's gimmick :j:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Help Im Alive posted:

I was maybe expecting a bigger rebranding like at least moving away from the red/black or ditching the trenchcoat/gloves/that wings emblem or something

Yeah, I was a little surprised to see the red/black and a very similar logo stick around, to be fair.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Harrow posted:

Yeah, I was a little surprised to see the red/black and a very similar logo stick around, to be fair.

it's the brand

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Sometimes I enjoy jim's vids but idk if it is just because I am biased in favor of nintendo but when he starts talking about nintendo, it doesn't matter how many disclaimers he puts up, he always sounds like he's just whining and being a crybaby about them :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

his podcast is horrific and the person he does them with has the most godawful voice ever

• Locked thread