Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Oh maybe, I didn't really research that example at all, I just took for granted that automation was a threat to minimum wage jobs. If that's the case, maybe the general situation is that automation is adding more to the economy which will create more minimum positions. The part of me that's always zero summing questions where these new customers were eating lunch before though.

If you look at the region as a whole, as the lunch creation process becomes more efficient, less people should be involved in creating those lunches. The number of lunches eaten is going to stay the same. Maybe the mcdonalds got a surge in customers because they're twice as fast now but the other lunch places will catch up or go out of business.

Mcdonalds wants to send you notifications directly to your phone to get the hottest deals of the summer though.

vyelkin posted:

tbf minimum wage raises are like the one thing Wynne has actually reliably followed through on and one week of additional vacation after five years in the same job is such a tiny giveaway to a small enough (and old enough) section of the population that I could see them actually implementing that one too

It's one of her better moves tbqh. I can't really think of many positives between losing tons of money or spending tons of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Oh maybe, I didn't really research that example at all, I just took for granted that automation was a threat to minimum wage jobs. If that's the case, maybe the general situation is that automation is adding more to the economy which will create more minimum positions. The part of me that's always zero summing questions where these new customers were eating lunch before though.

If you look at the region as a whole, as the lunch creation process becomes more efficient, less people should be involved in creating those lunches. The number of lunches eaten is going to stay the same. Maybe the mcdonalds got a surge in customers because they're twice as fast now but the other lunch places will catch up or go out of business.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 26, 2018

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Wistful of Dollars posted:

But raising minimum wages harm job creators and damage the economy. :ohdear:

Why can't these small business owners just expand or diversify their businesses to attract more customers and, therefore, more money? Surely if they open a second location or start franchising and spreading to other communities they can afford a cost-of-labour increase. I mean, Tim Hortons is on every corner, why can't their businesses get there? Just work harder.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I read an article recently that showed that self-checkouts at grocery stores are slower and also lead to much higher customer dissatisfaction. Of course businesses aren't going to care if they can save a few tens of thousands of dollars a year on labour costs though

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Leofish posted:

Why can't these small business owners just expand or diversify their businesses to attract more customers and, therefore, more money? Surely if they open a second location or start franchising and spreading to other communities they can afford a cost-of-labour increase. I mean, Tim Hortons is on every corner, why can't their businesses get there? Just work harder.

Because every single small business is simultaneously the engine of our economy and also exists on a razor-thin profit margin where a 1% increase in any cost would immediately bankrupt them and cause them to close permanently.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Has any store actually got rid of manned checkouts, though? The grocery stores I go to always have self-checkouts, but I never use them. Why the gently caress would I do someone else's job for free (and have to put up with "PUT ITEM IN BAGGING AREA!" over and over)?

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

Has any store actually got rid of manned checkouts, though? The grocery stores I go to always have self-checkouts, but I never use them. Why the gently caress would I do someone else's job for free (and have to put up with "PUT ITEM IN BAGGING AREA!" over and over)?

I use them to avoid going through a normal checkout lane where they have volunteers bagging your groceries for donations. No idea why that poo poo is legal.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Because every single small business is simultaneously the engine of our economy and also exists on a razor-thin profit margin where a 1% increase in any cost would immediately bankrupt them and cause them to close permanently.

This is literally pretty much the business complaints the CBC is quoting in response to the wage increase. Surprisingly, I expect that businesses in Ontario will still be a going concern in 2018.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Please, God, not the self-checkout derail again.

People protesting the Canada 150 thing because of colonialism, discuss.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

PT6A posted:

My local grocery store went 24 hours after bringing those machines in, so they needed to have hired staff overnight, including at least one person to man the self checkout lanes.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

I read an article recently that showed that self-checkouts at grocery stores are slower and also lead to much higher customer dissatisfaction. Of course businesses aren't going to care if they can save a few tens of thousands of dollars a year on labour costs though

They should correlate customer dissatisfaction with self-checkouts with age, because I have only seen boomers get confused with self-checkouts. It usually takes about 5 seconds of them staring at the screen like an idiot before they either get in line for a cashier or start a 15 minute rant about how they "don't trust these goddamned newfangled computer machines".

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Also self-checkouts are way more complicated (way more options, bagging, etc) than a kiosk that exists to take your Big Mac order.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I wonder if this won't be looked at as too little, too late by voters. As somebody who works as a PT produce clerk this is kind of a big deal for me, because the FTers make $19/hr at my workplace and you can still be considered a part timer and work 30 hrs a week....but a lot of people will be even angrier at Wynne than they already are

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

cowofwar posted:

I use them to avoid going through a normal checkout lane where they have volunteers bagging your groceries for donations. No idea why that poo poo is legal.

wait...what? Where the hell is this a thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I'm just about to turn 28 and I'm dissatisfied with those machines, because it's harder to use reusable bags or backpacks, and I don't have all the PLU codes memorized for fruits and vegetables, so it takes forever to process those. The lines are often just as long or longer than for the express checkout lane, and if they encounter an error of some sort or you have an item that won't scan, you can't just enter the barcode manually -- you have to wait for the supervisor to come over and unfuck it. In Quebec, where you can buy beer and wine at the supermarket, you also have to wait for the person to come check ID.

I think there's a limit to how good these automated solutions can be made because you have to balance convenience, ease of use, and the store's desire to not be robbed blind. I much prefer just going through a normal checkout lane.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

cowofwar posted:

Oh poo poo they bag your stuff for donations? Here it's just every single store "Want to donate $2 to Sick Kids?" so I have to be like no gently caress your sick kids. I think it's actually backfired on them and made me a worse person from having to practice saying no to sick kids all the time. The worse I ever saw was at the costco. They were doing a drive with so unlimited donations and they guilted the lady in front of me into it and she donated $20. The whole place went nuts, they hit an alarm and a red light and all the cashiers were clapping and she had to fill out a form for tax purposes. gently caress no I'm not getting involved with that just let me out of your establishment as fast as possible.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Oh poo poo they bag your stuff for donations? Here it's just every single store "Want to donate $2 to Sick Kids?" so I have to be like no gently caress your sick kids. I think it's actually backfired on them and made me a worse person from having to practice saying no to sick kids all the time. The worse I ever saw was at the costco. They were doing a drive with so unlimited donations and they guilted the lady in front of me into it and she donated $20. The whole place went nuts, they hit an alarm and a red light and all the cashiers were clapping and she had to fill out a form for tax purposes. gently caress no I'm not getting involved with that just let me out of your establishment as fast as possible.

Here they just give you a credit for having reusable bags, and ask if you want it to come off your bill or go to charity. I always give it to charity, because what the gently caress do I need with an extra 10 cents or whatever?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Azerban posted:

Yeah, I've never seen this either. Although I work at Superstore where the customers bag their own poo poo. But my understanding is even baggers get paid where they still exist (it's kind of a concept I don't see much anymore in general).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Baggers are super common here in the US, though they're usually way worse at bagging than my wife or me because they seem to care way less than us whether or not our fragile foods get squashed and they're really dedicated to cramming everything into one bag when we brought five.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

vyelkin posted:

Baggers are super common here in the US, though they're usually way worse at bagging than my wife or me because they seem to care way less than us whether or not our fragile foods get squashed and they're really dedicated to cramming everything into one bag when we brought five.

Yeah, if you're not an old lady lifer who actually cares / has it memorized to not gently caress up even when you don't care, just let me do it. So many times I pass people a freezer bag and a regular one and they just gently caress it all up.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Azerban posted:

Fortinos on Dundurn in Hamilton. It's often teams, clubs or groups where they are at all the tills bagging for donations to their cause. I hate it.

The self serve kiosk also makes me decline through a $2 donation to some cause as well before I pay.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Arivia posted:

Yeah, if you're not an old lady lifer who actually cares / has it memorized to not gently caress up even when you don't care, just let me do it. So many times I pass people a freezer bag and a regular one and they just gently caress it all up.

On that, I'm seriously impressed by the Bulk Barn clerks who've somehow managed to commit the codes for their whole inventory to memory. As long as it's not a bag of mysterious white powder, dude's got that poo poo down. The thought of moving from that guy to a self-checkout that depends on people writing numbers properly and working a scale all by themselves would be enough to make me not want to go there anymore.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

flakeloaf posted:

On that, I'm seriously impressed by the Bulk Barn clerks who've somehow managed to commit the codes for their whole inventory to memory. As long as it's not a bag of mysterious white powder, dude's got that poo poo down. The thought of moving from that guy to a self-checkout that depends on people writing numbers properly and working a scale all by themselves would be enough to make me not want to go there anymore.

:catdrugs:

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?
Self serve checkouts are great because they aren't held up by 70 year old farts demanding rainchecks for 20 cents off a bag of potatoes

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

It's Bulk Barn. I think they do actually sell cat drugs.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Self serve checkouts are great because they don't judge me when I do a junkfood run at 11pm on a weekday.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

People protesting the Canada 150 thing because of colonialism, discuss.

More power to them but no amount of protest will stop the march of time.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
gently caress Canadian nationalism.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Arivia posted:

They sell Buffalo Wing soda, so it's a distinct possibility

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Weird BIAS posted:

gently caress Canadian nationalism.

But still nationalize everything.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Nationalize everything, then gently caress it.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Arivia posted:

To themselves. No, I'm not paying $7 for a bag of potato chips.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

HappyHippo posted:

Self serve checkouts are great because they aren't held up by 70 year old farts demanding rainchecks for 20 cents off a bag of potatoes

This is literally my only experience with self-checkouts, they are always populated by seniors that need to examine their box of cheerios for a full minute before figuring out where the bar code is.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Nationalize corporations and turn them into worker run coops.

Fight me.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

DariusLikewise posted:

This is literally my only experience with self-checkouts, they are always populated by seniors that need to examine their box of cheerios for a full minute before figuring out where the bar code is.

I find they're too scared of the newfangled contraptions to use them. And even when one does they at least don't hold up the line because there's several available.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Andrew Scheer gonna kill the CBC

http://ipolitics.ca/2016/12/09/scheer-says-he-would-axe-cbc-news-division/

quote:

Conservative leadership candidate Andrew Scheer suggested that if he were to become prime minister, he would axe the news division of CBC.

“I think taxpayers are very frustrated by how much the CBC costs,” Scheer said in an interview with Hamilton Community News.

“I don’t know why this government is in the news business in this day and age with so many platforms with so many ways to disseminate information,” he told the paper, adding that, the government has a “glaring” conflict operating the CBC.

Scheer was in Hamilton last night, and according to the community newspaper, he spoke to about 35 members of the Macdonald-Cartier Club at Carmen’s C Hotel. In his speech, Scheer took a swipe at rival candidate Kellie Leitch.

He called her idea to screen newcomers for “anti-Canadian values” an attempt at politics.

“It’s not authentic,” he told the audience. “Canadian values? I’ve never heard her articulate what those Canadian values are.”

Scheer is the latest candidate to reveal his distaste for the public broadcaster — a favourite theme of the Conservative base.

Leitch said that she would scrap the “bloated” CBC, but keep some of its emergency services. Leadership candidate Brad Trost wants to privatize the CBC and Maxime Bernier would kick the CBC out of the ad market.

Conservative leadership candidate Michael Chong is perhaps the only candidate to sing the broadcaster’s praises.

Chong said in an earlier statement to iPolitics that threats to dismantle the CBC are “another distraction from what we need to be focused on in this campaign and in 2019.” He said the CBC plays a “vital role in the unity of our country.”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

https://twitter.com/sunlorrie/status/868980223194406912

LOL. Sure thing buddy.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Good, Conservative politicians should be legit barred from pride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

No poo poo. The guy up to his neck in Rebel Media doesn't like CBC news.

Amazing.

Baronjutter posted:

Good, Conservative politicians should be legit barred from pride.

Be that as it may, his justification is just hilarious.

Yes, it's your big blue boner keeping you from attending. Which is why you'll no doubt be seen at Montreal Pride, right?