Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Opinions are awesome, I just get frustrated at the wailing and gnashing of teeth regarding having to do a bit more 3rd grade arithmetic when list building.

I mean, it is known that basic addition is the bane of all neckbeards...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Today's update is on army building and points costs: https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/05/30/new-warhammer-40000-choosing-your-army-may30gw-homepage-post-4/

Confirms that you buy all the weapons for units separately and that vehicles cost a lot more now

See this I don't like. There is no Wargear cost for the Voidraven which has two Void Lances. Are they 0 points then?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Zuul the Cat posted:

God drat it, I just want to know if they combined Cult Mech and Skitarii into once force, and if I can take other armies transports (without paying tax. that's dumb, we make all the goddamn tanks, lets just keep some.)

Word is they did combine them, and Skitarii now have the "Skitarii" keyword:

quote:

Forge Worlds keywords, Cawl has Mars keyword and buffs Mars FW units.
Adeptus Mechanicus keyword is shared, Cult Mechanicus kw and Skitarii kw are present to differentiate. Bonuses target AM keyword
Canticles are chosen at the start of each Battle Round and last that much, cannot be chosen twice. Among the effects they allow for rerolling 1s to same FW kw units within 6″.

Taking transports will be a bit weird--I think you can do it by taking a second detachment from another army (you can do -1 CP to do a single transport from another faction) and then just put your dudes in that

TKIY posted:

See this I don't like. There is no Wargear cost for the Voidraven which has two Void Lances. Are they 0 points then?

Probably. The format I've seen in Chaos/Necrons/other leaks is that if a gun *only* shows up as required wargear on a single unit, it has a cost of 0 points

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
If someone wants to wail an gnash teeth welcome to posting anywhere. It can be frustrating yes but calling people babies is not constructive is my point.

Also personal opinion here but after these base codexes most seem to assume thing will just get better every codex release and I'm not so sure. Plus it brings back codex creep.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Probably. The format I've seen in Chaos/Necrons/other leaks is that if a gun *only* shows up as required wargear on a single unit, it has a cost of 0 points

I get that, but it is a bit confusing. Having said that, they can re-point the weapon down the road as a correction to the model price I guess.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So the big thing that was missing in speeding up a 2000 point game was they made it the equivalent of a 1500 point game in 7th? This is so missleading and classic GW I love it. Wonder how long it will take to play a 2500 point game as I am sure that will become the new standard. Unless I am way off here and most players are happy putting a fourth of their models on a shelve instead of on the table.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

Word is they did combine them, and Skitarii now have the "Skitarii" keyword:

Taking transports will be a bit weird--I think you can do it by taking a second detachment from another army (you can do -1 CP to do a single transport from another faction) and then just put your dudes in that

Yeah, that's how it is now. You can take drop pods and stuff as long as you take BA as a detachment. But that's what I mean about tax. I'd still have to invest into a second detachment to take them, and at that point I may as well just take the second army.

Well, with templates being gone maybe my dudes won't die as fast.

Happy about them being combined though.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
So at first glance, big shooty bugs are interesting. Stranglethorns look like they'll absolutely ruin large infantry blobs, even on a fex. Walkrants with a HVC look decent, and if a Tyrannofex has a way to get any to hit bonuses even the Rupture Cannon may be worthwhile for 2D6(!!!) damage.

Warriors with no gun are also down from 30 to 20 points, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So the big thing that was missing in speeding up a 2000 point game was they made it the equivalent of a 1500 point game in 7th? This is so missleading and classic GW I love it. Wonder how long it will take to play a 2500 point game as I am sure that will become the new standard. Unless I am way off here and most players are happy putting a fourth of their models on a shelve instead of on the table.

Actually yeah, people were asking for this. I agree with you though, in that it will just lead to playing 2k points games instead of 1500-point games

TKIY posted:

I get that, but it is a bit confusing. Having said that, they can re-point the weapon down the road as a correction to the model price I guess.

Yeah. I agree that it's lame

Also some more Thousand Sons info:

quote:

>exalted on disc gain fly, cavalry and daemon and lose infantry
>m12" s4 t4 ws2+, w5 4a
>staff is s+2 ap-1 d3
>can cast 2 powers and dispel 1
>5++ he and his sons within 6 reroll 1 on the save

>same stats for arhyman, but the staff does directly 3 damage, his inv is 4++
>can cast 3 spells and dispel 3, has a +1 for the attempts

>the scarab have 2w t4 s4, hit on 3, all is dust, don't have penalty for moving and shooting; sorcerer knows both smite and another power
>heavy warpflamer 8" s5 ap-2 d1
>Combirequiem inferno rapid fire 2 range 24 s4 -1 d1.
>Soulreaper range 24 heavy 4 s5 -3 d1
>missile system 24 heavy 2 s8 -2 d3

Tzeench powers:

>Boon of Change
Blessing, target friendly and roll a d3
1 = +1Str
2 = +1A
3 = +1T

>Bolt of Change
Do d3 Mortal Wounds. If you kill a Character, get a Spawn

>Treason of Tzeentch
Target non Warlord Character
Roll 2d6. If equal or lower to Character's Ld, nothing happens

If Greater may control Character in Shooting, Assault, and Fight subphase.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Zuul the Cat posted:

Yeah, that's how it is now. You can take drop pods and stuff as long as you take BA as a detachment. But that's what I mean about tax. I'd still have to invest into a second detachment to take them, and at that point I may as well just take the second army.

Well, with templates being gone maybe my dudes won't die as fast.

Happy about them being combined though.

No--they introduced a set of "single unit" detachments that cost you -1 CP to use. You don't have to take a second army. You just spend 1 CP to take a single transport. If you took another army detachment, you'd have to take one or more other choices for each transport you wanted to take, then give their transport to another unit
See: The Auxiliary Support Detachment

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Liquid Communism posted:

Opinions are awesome, I just get frustrated at the wailing and gnashing of teeth regarding having to do a bit more 3rd grade arithmetic when list building.

I mean, it is known that basic addition is the bane of all neckbeards...

I don't think it's at all unreasonable for people to be pissed off with the list building element of the book taking a jump back to an inelegant and unwieldy format that was fixed at least half a decade ago. There's certainly no need to be a tit about it.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 30, 2017

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Math shaming is NOT ok buddy. You know what I know? I got two fists! And i'll fist your loving face! TWICE.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TheChirurgeon posted:

No--they introduced a set of "single unit" detachments that cost you -1 CP to use. You don't have to take a second army. You just spend 1 CP to take a single transport. If you took another army detachment, you'd have to take one or more other choices for each transport you wanted to take, then give their transport to another unit

Ah, gotcha. This doesn't seem too bad, then. I'll have to weight the CP usefulness when making lists to see if it's better to just footslog or if i should spend them on rhinos.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
*executes another Guardsmen* and I will continue to improve morale until the Imperial Guard leaks happen.

Though that Mobile Fortress rule for the Battlewagon could bode well for my tanks.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

TheChirurgeon posted:

Most, if not all, of the transports are going to be Faction-locked. You won't be able to stick Skitarii in a Drop Pod.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Most, if not all, of the transports are going to be Faction-locked. You won't be able to stick Skitarii in a Drop Pod.

Oh yeah, definitely agree there--So far everything we've seen limits transportable units to the same faction. if there is a transport that skitarii can climb inside, it'll probably be something that can transport any <IMPERIUM> unit. So maaaaaaybe Valkyries?

You're probably hosed for the time being, just btw

e: Leaks for Stupid Furry Dickhead Marines
e2: Link taken down, but I snagged them

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 17:36 on May 30, 2017

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So, uh, looks like carnifexes got way cheaper. I have Old One Eye, three screamer-killers, and two brainleech devourer dakkafexxes, soon to be three. :getin:

My initial plans are to replace my old metal zoanthropes with the new plastic ones. I love the old sculpt, but they are so drat top heavy and constantly break. I might also pick up some plastic venomthropes while I'm at it because while I have 3 metal ones, gently caress those models. Then I might get a haruspex if it turns out to be decent.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

xtothez posted:

So at first glance, big shooty bugs are interesting. Stranglethorns look like they'll absolutely ruin large infantry blobs, even on a fex. Walkrants with a HVC look decent, and if a Tyrannofex has a way to get any to hit bonuses even the Rupture Cannon may be worthwhile for 2D6(!!!) damage.

Stranglethorns look pretty weak to me. d6 attacks so you average 3.5, and even if you get up to a 3+ to hit, you are going to kill two models, maybe.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Safety Factor posted:

So, uh, looks like carnifexes got way cheaper. I have Old One Eye, three screamer-killers, and two brainleech devourer dakkafexxes, soon to be three. :getin:

My initial plans are to replace my old metal zoanthropes with the new plastic ones. I love the old sculpt, but they are so drat top heavy and constantly break. I might also pick up some plastic venomthropes while I'm at it because while I have 3 metal ones, gently caress those models. Then I might get a haruspex if it turns out to be decent.

I'm worried about devourers. It says it's 7 points. How good can it actually be?

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

muggins posted:

I'm worried about devourers. It says it's 7 points. How good can it actually be?

They noticed the internal balance problem where TL Brainleech worm Devourers were way better than their other biocannon counterparts and brought them in line with the other weapons!

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Warriors with Deathspitters and Rending Claws are 30 pts. even. Holy poo poo. It's even possible to make them shrikes with Rending Claws for 13 pts, since Rending Wings are 13 points. Goddamn, this is glorious, and it's not even my (main) army. I hope someone drops GSC rules soon. I am so hyped for this.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 17:47 on May 30, 2017

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

If everything costs more in points that means there's less stuff on the table and the game, theoretically, should play faster.

This idea, touted several times now, is so completely absurd I can't wrap my head around it.

Like if they reduced all points costs to a tenth of their current values every player would be forced to buy ten times as many models -- why are you leaving money on the table GW??

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

muggins posted:

I'm guessing they'll be toned down a bunch. Maybe keep their number of shots but lose their re-rolls to hit.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Safety Factor posted:

It's worth noting that Zoans and Venoms both got slapped with a 3 model minimum unit size now, although they are a bit cheaper to make up for it and you can always field one unit below min size. Anyone who fielded them alone in 7E may need to stock up.

TKIY posted:

Stranglethorns look pretty weak to me. d6 attacks so you average 3.5, and even if you get up to a 3+ to hit, you are going to kill two models, maybe.
Ugh yeah I misread that somehow. On the upside, 92 points gets you a 2xscytal fex with adrenals. As I own 15 fexes (including OOE I've never once used), following a wall of them into a fight is pretty appealing.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

xtothez posted:

It's worth noting that Zoans and Venoms both got slapped with a 3 model minimum unit size now
:stare: thats a lot of mortal wounds.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

I don't think it's at all unreasonable for people to be pissed off with the list building element of the book taking a jump back to an inelegant and unwieldy format that was fixed at least half a decade ago. There's certainly no need to be a tit about it.

Even the mildest of criticism is verboten in the 40k thread. Post positively or don't post at all. Mandatory smile patrols are in full force.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Do we know what 2 pairs of Monstrous Scything Talons even does? I was under the impression that the usual Carnifex build was a pair of Crushing Claws and a pair of Scything Talons, but I came in after the days of the Carnifex.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

TTerrible posted:

Even the mildest of criticism is verboten in the 40k thread. Post positively or don't post at all. Mandatory smile patrols are in full force.

Lol why would you think this.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

For_Great_Justice posted:

God forbid anyone have a different opinion.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Artum posted:

:stare: thats a lot of mortal wounds.
Ehh, they'll be a psychic unit rather than a unit of individual psykers. As they are now. I'm curious to see if their numbers have any impact on their powers though.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

I like skulls

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I'm still hyped for 8th. I didn't even play 7th!

Ain't no death thread ham-hatin' no-math goon gonna bring me down!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

panascope posted:

I like skulls

ME toO!

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

DO IT TO IT posted:

Do we know what 2 pairs of Monstrous Scything Talons even does? I was under the impression that the usual Carnifex build was a pair of Crushing Claws and a pair of Scything Talons, but I came in after the days of the Carnifex.

Here are the earlier leaks that seem to tie up with these point costs:

quote:

Carnifex
67 points
M7" WS4+ S6 T7 W8 A4 3+
It doesn't degrade
if charge does mortal wound on a 4+
Crushing claws are Sx2 AP-3 damage 3
Monstrous Scything Talons S: User AP-3 damage 3
Bonemace S8 Ap-1 d3 damage.
If with 2 weapons +1 attacks
2 Scything talons reroll 1 to hit.

old one eye: 10w r7
>ws3+, gives +1 to hit on carnifices within 6
>his charge does d3 mortal wounds on a 4+ instead of 1
>each attack that hits generate another attack to resolve with the same weapon against the same target
>140pts

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Seriously. We get the loving Weeaboo Warriors, Bolter Bitches, and Brotherhood of the Used Tampon but no loving Orks?

woah woah woah waoh

this kind of talk in 2017 is unacceptable, I can't believe anyone would use language in such a forward and open community

The term is "otaku" not weeaboo thank you very much

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

Actually yeah, people were asking for this. I agree with you though, in that it will just lead to playing 2k points games instead of 1500-point games

Are people actually so dense they were like "man I wish there was a way to make the game smaller?" while playing 2000 point games and not, you know, just play a 1500 or 1250 point game?!? Making the game smaller is not the same as making the game faster, I don't really care that much, I'll just play 1750-2500 point games now instead of 1250-2000, but I just think it is funny and classic GW to say they made a change and have actually done nothing.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

xtothez posted:

Here are the earlier leaks that seem to tie up with these point costs:

So comparing 2 Scything Talons pairs against Crushing Claws + Scything Talons comes down to do I want Str6 and re-roll 1s to hit, or do I want Str12. With so much T7 and T8 showing up now, I wonder how useful Str6 would even be.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Shrikes look like they could be pretty awesome. I need the stats on the boneswords and lashwhips :allears:

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I'm just waiting for the Genestealer Cult alliance rules to leak, so I can find out which IG units I can take for the Cult, whether they inherit the Genestealer Cult tag or not, and if the IG option bars taking Tyranid units or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Based on the changes to the Battlewagon I think Ork vehicles will be in for a significant change. Previously Battlewagons were glorified trucks; you took a minimum of one shoota and a red paint job...

...I just realized there's no red paint job wargear. gently caress. Worst edition ever...

...anyway you used to minimize vehicle costs because they weren't survivable. Now the changes to shooting, the improvement in survivability, and the changes to assault make the best vehicle choices seemingly very different from before. For starters I'm not sure assault is a good idea since the Battlewagon can only hit on a 5+. At that point it's the same as shooting but without the risk of getting hit back. The vehicle's ability to deal damage in shooting is also not susceptible to wounds. Of course the counter to this is how much all of those toys will cost, but I'm wondering if fitting a Battlewagon with 20 shoota boyz (or 20 burna boyz) and tacking on a bunch of dakka won't be better than ramming the enemy with them.

• Locked thread