Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nah this just frustration boiling over. MALC and the rest of the Dem caucus took a bath on SB 4 (some of it their own doing) and are more or less furious about the bill. The debate on it on the House side was as invective and personal as I've ever seen a bill debate, and Rinaldi rubbing salt in the would inflamed passions. I imagine we'll see some apology statements later in the week.

The real civil war in the capitol is the fight between the Patrick culture warriors and the Strauss business R's.

https://twitter.com/scottbraddock/status/869264020318150656
That would be real nice but I don't see how it happens. It's totally up to Patrick to move the TMB sunset bill in his chamber, and he's not going to move it unless Abbott opens up the call to the bathroom bill and SB 2. Instead he's going to hold daily press conferences about how Abbott is betraying the people of Texas and then force him to call another one and another one and another one until Abbott relents and gives it. Because Abbott is a coward who is terrified of Patrick primariying him from the right. I'm not sure that there isn't some executive mechanism by which Abbott can keep the TMB going until 2019, which would be his best play.

He has three options, as I see it
1 - not call a special, let the TMB die or find a way to save it (personally I don't think the consequences would be as dire as everyone is saying, currently a loophole in our Psychiatric licensing board basically allows anyone to claim to be a mental health professional before they fixed it this year, and it didn't lead to massive problems. I think the industry could self regulate until it get fixed in the 86th) This is his best option.
2- Call a limited special for just the purpose of fixing the sunset stuff, this leads to the scenario I described above, allows Patrick to set himself up as the true defender of conservative values while Abbott gets pressured from Empower Texas and the associated nutjob associations, and Patrick could ultimately cause unlimited specials until Abbott relents. This is his worst option and sets up an almost certain primary challenge from Patrick in 2018.
3- Call a special and add bathrooms and property taxes, this will focus GOP animus on Strauss because those measures have no chance in the House. But it still lets Patrick beat his chest and climb up on the cross, so it strengthens him as a possible primary rival, but probably pushes that off to 2022.

Make no mistake, Patrick wants to be governor as a step to the White House. Him saying he doesn't want higher office is a straight up lie, he said the same poo poo about running for Lt. Gov but guess what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://twitter.com/Susan_Hennessey/status/869273907970420736

Well phrased.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TMB has extremely limited enforcement powers because they're way understaffed and have no budget for litigation so I'm not sure the people of Texas would lose much if they were gone for two years

It would suck for the people who work there though

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

TMB has extremely limited enforcement powers because they're way understaffed and have no budget for litigation so I'm not sure the people of Texas would lose much if they were gone for two years

It would suck for the people who work there though

Yeah I think that's got to be part of the calculus for the special session call. Also, if he doesn't it's a huge gently caress you to Patrick and show of opposition and strength in a session where Abbott has been routinely criticized for being either too absent or too weak. Patrick can rant and rave about it all he wants but if we're not in special then his spotlight is dimmed considerably. If he's still whining about no special in December, who's going to give a gently caress.

Also I do believe that the political landscape in 2018 is going to be very unfavorable for tea party Republicans and wouldn't be surprised to see the Dems pick up some seats in the House. I don't think Patrick is going to be as strong in 2018 as he is right now, and I think he may realize it, which is why he's trying to ram bathrooms through now. This is totally a "Texas vs Feds" issue due to the Obama transgender school guidelines thing, and losing their most hated rival kind of takes some of the urgency out of the issue. If Hillary was president, I have no doubt they'd have been able to get the bill through but with Trump in, the window for this kind of legislation is closing. Despite what Patrick says, I don't think the vast majority of Texans give a gently caress about transgender people in bathrooms.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/mattrinalditx/status/869269896365998080

Who even is this dude good lord

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

An hero
https://twitter.com/heyjuliesue/status/869278686574465028
(Chair of the NE Tarrant Co. Tea Party)

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is there anyone from San Antonio itt? I'm trying to figure out the mayoral race stuff. I had thought Nirenberg was a Republican but I guess I wasn't paying attention based on the endorsements he's getting.

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice

Badger of Basra posted:

Is there anyone from San Antonio itt? I'm trying to figure out the mayoral race stuff. I had thought Nirenberg was a Republican but I guess I wasn't paying attention based on the endorsements he's getting.

Taylor is effectively Republican and Nirenberg got Castro's endorsement. I don't know much about him but he seems to care about improving transportation infrastructure (which I like). Honestly, I'm mainly interested in voting out Taylor since 1) it was really lovely that she got appointed interim mayor after Castro on the promise that she wouldn't run for mayor afterwards, which of course she broke, and 2) in the debates during the previous runoff she stated that she wouldn't even consider any light-rail/commuter-rail projects (I know it's unlikely that we'll ever get light-rail but I would at least like a mayor that's open to the possibility).

RussianBear
Sep 14, 2003

I am become death, the destroyer of worlds

karlor posted:

Taylor is effectively Republican and Nirenberg got Castro's endorsement. I don't know much about him but he seems to care about improving transportation infrastructure (which I like). Honestly, I'm mainly interested in voting out Taylor since 1) it was really lovely that she got appointed interim mayor after Castro on the promise that she wouldn't run for mayor afterwards, which of course she broke, and 2) in the debates during the previous runoff she stated that she wouldn't even consider any light-rail/commuter-rail projects (I know it's unlikely that we'll ever get light-rail but I would at least like a mayor that's open to the possibility).

TPR has some good coverage of the two candidates.

http://tpr.org/post/video-mayoral-candidate-nirenberg-says-fatherhood-and-immigrant-parents-shaped-his-values#stream/0
http://tpr.org/post/video-mayor-taylor-hopes-job-experience-will-earn-second-term-voters
http://tpr.org/post/leading-mayoral-candidates-debate-policies-and-visions#stream/0

I would argue that both candidates want to improve transportation infrastructure. They just have different priorities. I agree that rail has to be part of the solution, but I also think toll roads have to be a part of the solution too. Taylor is open to the possibility of toll roads while Nirenberg is not. I really wish there was a candidate that supported both rail and toll roads.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I'm moving to Denton for grad school in a few months. Who are the local bigwigs I need to know? And is Denton one of the towns where the DMV is only open once a month? I want to exchange my PA license soon-ish.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Do you know anything about Texas or Denton?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Not much beyond the sterotypes and whatever dumb poo poo comes out of the state legislature that makes the news feed. The DFW area is an amorphous blob of land that constantly grows.

And everybody hates Ted Cruz :v:

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I live in Denton AMA

It's alright.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I'm moving to Denton for grad school in a few months. Who are the local bigwigs I need to know? And is Denton one of the towns where the DMV is only open once a month? I want to exchange my PA license soon-ish.
Dunno.

No.

Edit: Actually I am a local bigwig and in order to live here you have to pay 10 20 percent of your annual income to me as a tithe. I accept cash, certified checks and money orders.

Edit II: Payable via pre-arranged dropoff in front of the Chinese Buffet on Loop 288.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 30, 2017

Preem Palver
Jul 5, 2007

Not much beyond the sterotypes and whatever dumb poo poo comes out of the state legislature that makes the news feed. The DFW area is an amorphous blob of land that constantly grows.

And everybody hates Ted Cruz :v:

Denton-area politics is basically some under-employed local artists and musicians vs. the full force of the state legislature (which writes bills specifically to overturn things like the Denton fracking ban), the oil industry(Rex Tillerson lives in Denton county), and older FYGM conservatives in the gated communities and rural parts of the county with a lot more money and connections.

It's probably the best college town in Texas, has a decent music scene, and the populace is fairly liberal in their outlook due to two large universities, but it's also Texas and under-35s have less than 25% turnout for national level elections, much less all the various local level poo poo that is held at different times throughout the year and purposefully given as little notice as legally possible, so good luck at actually affecting policy.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I like Denton. I go there for work a lot from Austin.

That's all I got.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Any Austin goons have takes on CodeNEXT?

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

blue squares posted:

Any Austin goons have takes on CodeNEXT?

Could have been good but actually it's bad because it doesn't change enough and even makes some stuff worse.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

People use our DMV's off ramp as a parking place, so have fun trying to get in or out. It's also right next to FEMA.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Also technically you want the Department of Public Safety. DPS issues drivers licenses. The DMV just does car registration stuff. They're separate entities.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

https://twitter.com/JohnKasich/status/869903774764216321

Ohio's got your back, y'all! :downs:

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

yes what a brave statement from kasich coming out against violence in a way that no matter which "side" you're on, you'll think he is on yours

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

What's up with that huge transportation bond Austin passed last year because the lege wouldn't properly fund the city they hate and have to spend time in? Will I be able to ride a bike from Cedar Park to downtown?

Just getting from my place on 620 to Lakeline Mall is a deathmarch. I can get to Cedar Park city hall way easier.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Ralepozozaxe posted:

People use our DMV's off ramp as a parking place, so have fun trying to get in or out. It's also right next to FEMA.
There's a decommissioned nuclear war bunker underneath FEMA I want to check out. First gotta see if they allow tours though

Preem Palver posted:

Denton-area politics is basically some under-employed local artists and musicians vs. the full force of the state legislature (which writes bills specifically to overturn things like the Denton fracking ban), the oil industry(Rex Tillerson lives in Denton county), and older FYGM conservatives in the gated communities and rural parts of the county with a lot more money and connections.

It's probably the best college town in Texas, has a decent music scene, and the populace is fairly liberal in their outlook due to two large universities, but it's also Texas and under-35s have less than 25% turnout for national level elections, much less all the various local level poo poo that is held at different times throughout the year and purposefully given as little notice as legally possible, so good luck at actually affecting policy.
All of this. Though the music scene has been declining given the closing of several venues. I was talking with a local music producer who blamed underinvestment by UNT in its music program in favor of business, which has caused the music college to fall down the rankings. Students going elsewhere.

The town (or rather, county) has an interesting hybrid culture though between the Dentonites and the rurals, who are good people. I like that aspect of it. The wealthy FYGM conservatives playing pretend-rural in the southern reaches live in their own world.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 1, 2017

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Dammit. RIP Rainbow Lounge. Fun little club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPma_pxqAaA

You would suspect arson after these kinds of things, but it doesn't sound like it given that the fire started in the roof (while the employees were still there). A lot of rain in the Metroplex last night so I'm wondering if the water had gotten in and sparked some exposed/faulty wiring.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I ended up getting my license from that DMV! Protip, when you try to schedule a drivers license test, instead of waiting 3 months for your appointment, go to a place like this one that will allow walk-ins.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
The DPS is one of the few things that Texas has generally gotten right. I had to renew my license in person a couple years ago, and the office on Wells Branch in Austin was shockingly clean, modern, and efficient. Friendly help everywhere, ETAs on the LED screens all over the walls, maybe 10 minutes of paperwork including the eye "exam" (almost could've passed it without my glasses).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

lol

quote:

I hope every man will boycott Austin and do what he can to diminish Austin and to cause damage to the city’s image. The theater that pandered to the sexism typical of women will, I hope, regret it’s decision. The notion of a woman hero is a fine example of women’s eagerness to accept the appearance of achievement without actual achievement. Women learn from an early age to value make-up, that it’s OK to pretend that you are greater than you actually are. Women pretend they do not know that only men serve in combat because they are content to have an easier ride. Women gladly accept gold medals at the Olympics for coming in 10th and competing only against the second class of athletes. Name something invented by a woman! Achievements by the second rate gender pale in comparison to virtually everything great in human history was accomplished by men, not women. If Austin does not host a men only counter event, I will never visit Austin and will welcome it’s deteriorati on. And I will not forget that Austin is best known for Charles Whitman. Does Austin stand for gender equality or for kissing up to women? Don’t bother to respond. I already know the answer. I do not hate women. I hate their rampant hypocrisy and the hypocrisy of the “women’s movement.” Women do not want gender equality; they want more for women. Don’t bother to respond because I am sure your cowardice will generate nothing worth reading.

Richard A. Ameduri

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The worst thing about this guy is that he gave Steve Adler a chance to grandstand.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Okay I just changed my mind on women-only movie screenings, if they keep that guy out of Austin I'm fine with never being allowed in a theatre again.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Also, when the gooniest motherfucker Harry Knowles emphatically disagrees with your negative views on women, you really need to rethink your position.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Not really politics but it's Texas and funny/weird. Saw this tweet pop up in my timeline when the HPD police chief retweeted it:

https://twitter.com/PfChiefRobledo/status/870640909699829760

quote:

Make note of our new #512-990-6700. (The old one pforwards for now, but please update your records.) In an emergency, call 9-1-1.

Not sure if I love or haaaaaaaaaaaaaate that he said "pforwards", because there's no way that was accidental, right?

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

No Safe Word posted:

Not really politics but it's Texas and funny/weird. Saw this tweet pop up in my timeline when the HPD police chief retweeted it:

https://twitter.com/PfChiefRobledo/status/870640909699829760

Not sure if I love or haaaaaaaaaaaaaate that he said "pforwards", because there's no way that was accidental, right?

Pflugerville's foundational myth is that the dad-joke of putting replacing a regular 'f' at the beginning of a word with 'Pf' is outrageously hilarious and should be done whenever possible.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ah okay, I'm not in the area so I didn't know that was A Thing. Dang.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

LanceHunter posted:

Pflugerville's foundational myth is that the dad-joke of putting replacing a regular 'f' at the beginning of a word with 'Pf' is outrageously hilarious and should be done whenever possible.

I always thought it was a fart joke. Which is also a dad joke.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

LanceHunter posted:

To be Pfair it is pretty Pfunny, but real talk when I lived there I thought I was living in the real life town MTV got all their teen moms from.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Jiro posted:

To be Pfair it is pretty Pfunny, but real talk when I lived there I thought I was living in the real life town MTV got all their teen moms from.

Sounds about right from my time there as well.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I laugh at every single Pflugerville joke the Master Pancake comedy group makes here in Austin. :allears:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I live in fear of having to spell my retarded city/street over the phone so I'm apfraid I won't cut it in Pflugerville

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Sardonik posted:

I laugh at every single Pflugerville joke the Master Pancake comedy group makes here in Austin. :allears:

Going to master pancake of Forrest Gump tomorrow night!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Going to master pancake of Forrest Gump tomorrow night!
Same here, introducing a friend to it the 10PM show tonight.

I remember going to one the shortly after the election. The drinking game was a loud, enthusiastic, "gently caress TRUMP!". :allears: