Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Baronjutter posted:

Archer gets beaten and kidnapped/imprisoned pretty much every 3rd episode.

It happened so often that I feel like other characters started commenting on it fairly quickly, but I could be misremembering that.

Starfleet in the 22nd Century had some survival training stuff going on but I guess not much in the way of self-defense classes. All those academy marathons and wrestling teams probably came way later, after Archer's 232nd consecutive rear end-kicking. Some admiral tossed that report down on his desk and immediately ordered a wrestling school to be opened on campus. A century later everyone's throwing double-axehandles. Problem solved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Railing Kill posted:

4) There's been some weird editing issues. There'll be a major cliffhanger right before a commercial break or cut, and its resolution is handled to hastily that it's jarring. Archer's rescue from space, for example, leaves him on the transporter pad, frost-burned and convulsing. There's a cut that comes too quickly to let the viewer really focus on how horrific this is for Archer, and then after the cut everything's a-ok (except for his bloodshot eyes, which disappear in the next scene). T'Pol's order to destroy Cold Station 12 is also resolved abruptly, and straddled over a poorly-timed break. I'm liking these episodes, but I'd like them even more if the editors weren't jerking me around so much.

Oh man, that show Alias was notorious for this.

*main character falls backwards off a ladder and plunges into a hole with no way to save herself*
EPISODE ENDS DUN DUN DUN!

next episode opening shot: *main character inexplicably grabbing back into the ladder*

I guess maybe it worked in broadcast TV because after a week you don't remember the previous final shot exactly, but on DVD it was so obvious and annoying.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Delsaber posted:

It happened so often that I feel like other characters started commenting on it fairly quickly, but I could be misremembering that.

Starfleet in the 22nd Century had some survival training stuff going on but I guess not much in the way of self-defense classes. All those academy marathons and wrestling teams probably came way later, after Archer's 232nd consecutive rear end-kicking. Some admiral tossed that report down on his desk and immediately ordered a wrestling school to be opened on campus. A century later everyone's throwing double-axehandles. Problem solved!

23rd century hand-to-hand training was weird because when you mastered it you could win against a superhuman or against gladiators outnumbering you 3-to-1 but lose to some old dude.

Actually come to think of it, 24th century combat training was the same. You can single handedly defeat a ship of overpowered monsters and even beat a clone of you in the prime of his life, but lose to Malcolm McDowell at fisticuffs somehow.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

VitalSigns posted:

23rd century hand-to-hand training was weird because when you mastered it you could win against a superhuman or against gladiators outnumbering you 3-to-1 but lose to some old dude.

Actually come to think of it, 24th century combat training was the same. You can single handedly defeat a ship of overpowered monsters and even beat a clone of you in the prime of his life, but lose to Malcolm McDowell at fisticuffs somehow.

23rd century martial arts also gave us the extremely good clasp-both-hands-together-into-one-single-fist maneuver.

TOS had the best fighting. The Gary Mitchell fight in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" is fantastic for all of these really limp fish karate-chop things that they're both tossing at each other.

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:12 on May 30, 2017

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The_Doctor posted:

By all accounts, the TOS missions are much harder than the Kelvin Timeline ship, on account of making the original jolly rancher buttons into a functional UI.

I mean, this is super easy to use, right?

This reminds me of how I used to think someone could make bank at conventions by setting up a bridge simulator and charging money to play in it. God knows I'd rather flip actual toggles than flop my hands in front of me with zero tactile feedback.

gently caress, who am I kidding, I'd rather be sitting in the command chair heroically barking orders at the guys flipping toggles and mashing buttons. (Tell me I'm not the only kid who wrangled his friends into "playing Star Trek" in the living room.)

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Drone posted:

23rd century martial arts also gave us the extremely good clasp-both-hands-together-into-one-single-fist maneuver.

TOS had the best fighting. The Gary Mitchell fight in "Where No Man Has Gone Before" is fantastic for all of these really limp fish karate-chop things that they're both tossing at each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSHCNTELFI8&t=17s

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

bull3964 posted:

https://m.vrheads.com/star-trek-bridge-crew-review-right-here-why-vr-exists

Sounds fairly decent, the biggest challenge is going to be finding enough people to play with.

Maybe I'm just a huge stick in the mud or something, but based on my experience with VR I really can't see how this isn't actually kind of a lovely use for it. Like, you're basically emulating a bunch of computer interfaces, but instead of using something ergonomic like a mouse or a controller you're holding your hands out at weird angles and getting no meaningful feedback.

wait actually I think I just convinced myself that this is actually the best way to simulate star trek consoles

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I'd pay for a Spaceteam: Star Trek version for mobile devices in a heart beat.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'd pay for a Spaceteam: Star Trek version for mobile devices in a heart beat.

Oh absolutely, Spaceteam is hella fun. But a full proper version of
"Shields at 26%!"
"Realign the main emitter array!"
"Remodulate phaser frequencies!"
would absolutely own.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This reminds me of how I used to think someone could make bank at conventions by setting up a bridge simulator and charging money to play in it. God knows I'd rather flip actual toggles than flop my hands in front of me with zero tactile feedback.

gently caress, who am I kidding, I'd rather be sitting in the command chair heroically barking orders at the guys flipping toggles and mashing buttons. (Tell me I'm not the only kid who wrangled his friends into "playing Star Trek" in the living room.)

They do, there was a whole room for it at Dragoncon last year.

worthless insect
Aug 12, 2012

Just started Enterprise after avoiding it for years

Why don't they have any lights on the ship? Why the hell is it so dark?

Orv
May 4, 2011

worthless insect posted:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

worthless insect posted:

Have I got some news for you

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

worthless insect posted:

Guinan, we're at war!

e: with the Taliban.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

God knows I'd rather flip actual toggles than flop my hands in front of me with zero tactile feedback.

Paradoxish posted:

Like, you're basically emulating a bunch of computer interfaces, but instead of using something ergonomic like a mouse or a controller you're holding your hands out at weird angles and getting no meaningful feedback.

I mean, I don't know how well it's implemented in this game, but the Oculus Touch and Vive motion controllers provide pretty amazing feedback. They use linear resonant actuators in the controllers (like the HD rumble in the Nintendo Switch) rather than simple vibration motors. They can give much more detailed feedback responses.

For example, when playing Valve's Lab mini game with the bow, you actually got fooled into feeling the tension of the bow as you pulled it back due to the vibrations the controller gave. The effect is pretty drat convincing.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

there was a time when I was REALLY into the idea of building an arcade cabinet that would basically be a tiny bridge simulator. I had the same idea: we could theoretically lug it to conventions.

The captain stands at the raised pedestal, the pilot sits in the middle, and two bridge members stand on either end:

...but here's the best part: see that little circle at the captain's station? That's a walkie-talkie, which is connected to...

... the engineer, who works behind the cabinet and therefore cannot be directly communicated with.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I want an Artemis Bridge Simulator (with a bit of Spaceteam thrown in) like game that runs on console or PC+chomecast, so the viewscreen is your TV. Then you connect with laptops or tablets, like with Jackbox games, and use them for your station controls.

Make it skinnable so that people can release LCARS skin packs.

It could actually work with some decent concepts. Make it a group party game, with the big flying-around-space mission broken up with group minigames that are dressed up in Space Sci-Fi scenarios.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 30, 2017

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Ooh nifty. Apologies for meme.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That's incredibly fine detail that will be a blurry macroblock on CBS's lovely streaming service.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
It harkens back to the old US Navy when captains would wear blue dress uniforms with red and white striped sleeves and it was all covered in tiny metal stars

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
If I were a costume designer I would LIVE to piss off cosplayers.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

VitalSigns posted:

Oh man, that show Alias was notorious for this.

*main character falls backwards off a ladder and plunges into a hole with no way to save herself*
EPISODE ENDS DUN DUN DUN!

next episode opening shot: *main character inexplicably grabbing back into the ladder*

I guess maybe it worked in broadcast TV because after a week you don't remember the previous final shot exactly, but on DVD it was so obvious and annoying.

"This isn't what happened last week! Have you all got amnesia? They just cheated us! This isn't fair! He didn't get out of the cock-a-doodie car!"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Apollodorus posted:

If I were a costume designer I would LIVE to piss off cosplayers.

Propmakers are doing that a lot these days with 3D printing. It used to be a hell of a lot easier to replicate props when 99% of them were just made from off the shelf things you could buy in stores.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
On Bakula as Archer, one issue Trek, particularly modern Trek, has dealt with is the fact that it's a story essentially about officers in the space military but it also wants to be a story about humans in the future doing jobs in space. In TOS I absolutely buy all the principal characters as active duty officers in the space military. TNG sells this pretty well with some weirdness - I really don't buy Troi's rank; I've read some very amusing threads in GiP so I know all is possible but she doesn't at all seem like an officer or any kind of person who'd be drawn to the armed forces. DS9 handled this perfectly, the setting allowing them to have civilians and letting the officer people be officers - O'Brien is a delight as a chief petty officer it should be mentioned, and the writers with Colm Meaney manage to make the working class Everyman believable in a post scarcity society. And then we get to ENT. Despite their boiler suits making them look closer to a real live navy, I really didn't buy a lot of the main cast as people who'd have a career in the military. Hoshi in particular stands out to me in this regard, but a bunch of others do too. Archer just isn't...the way he's written...

Of course, while I'm thinking about space navies, from what I've read in GiP starfleet is extremely unrealistic not for being in space but because there are hardly any instances of the characters coming up with incredibly elaborate, destructive, poorly thought out ways to amuse themselves--

you know the rate of holodeck malfunctions now seems less contrived to me.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
But Starfleet isn't a navy.

Yes it is a fleet of ships capable of going to war with other navies (and often does) that's funded and operated by a single nation for the purposes of defense and political maneuvering and it's staffed by officers capable of doing massive amounts of damage and willing to die for a national ideology, but don't call it a military. Also there's no such thing as currency and everyone stopped believing in religion even though gods are literally everywhere.

Jokes aside though you're right. Bored rank-and-file personnel and replicators/transporters would probably lead to a lot of entertainment.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Archer is there because his Daddy invented the engine and he knows people

Hoshi is not "military" she's the UT. She was very nearly conscripted.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

SomeMathGuy posted:

Thread, I need some advice: I just finished DS9. How can I cope with the knowledge that I will never be able to watch it for the first time ever again?

Now you can watch any episode you want whenever you want without being concerned with spoilers. Enjoy your freedom

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

The Bloop posted:

Archer is there because his Daddy invented the engine and he knows people

Hoshi is not "military" she's the UT. She was very nearly conscripted.

Mirror Sato made Empress.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Xibanya posted:

I really don't buy Troi's rank; I've read some very amusing threads in GiP so I know all is possible but she doesn't at all seem like an officer or any kind of person who'd be drawn to the armed forces.

She's a space therapist. I've known plenty of do-gooder types who are drawn to the military because they want to help people and people in the military really need help.

And the rank makes sense because medical types make rank faster and easier as an incentive for them to stay in.

What's completely ridiculous is the idea that a medical officer (Troi or Crusher) could get command certification by taking a weekend course.

Actually, no, I take that back. That's stupid enough to be a real thing.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Starfleet is actually supposed to be a combination of the NOAA, the USPHS, NASA, and the USCG. They wear uniforms and have ranks and various weapons but aren't focused on warfighting as their primary mission.

I mean, you KNOW what their mission is, they state it during the credits every episode and in several films.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

McNally posted:

She's a space therapist. I've known plenty of do-gooder types who are drawn to the military because they want to help people and people in the military really need help.

And the rank makes sense because medical types make rank faster and easier as an incentive for them to stay in.

What's completely ridiculous is the idea that a medical officer (Troi or Crusher) could get command certification by taking a weekend course.

Actually, no, I take that back. That's stupid enough to be a real thing.

Agreed, anyone willing to kill Geordi deserves a command-level rank.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Isn't that cert more like, "You're permitted to take command if it comes up?" Like if someone shoots out the bridge and kills most of the cast, Crusher would be in the line of command ahead of, IDK, Barclay.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I want to see the episode where Barclay has command of the bridge.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Unnatural Selection reminded me of one of the most unrealistic parts of Star Trek, which is that folks aren't biologically immortal. I guess that'd make it too hard to relate to or something.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Apollodorus posted:

Starfleet is actually supposed to be a combination of the NOAA, the USPHS, NASA, and the USCG. They wear uniforms and have ranks and various weapons but aren't focused on warfighting as their primary mission.

I mean, you KNOW what their mission is, they state it during the credits every episode and in several films.

In this regard Keiko's role on the Enterprise made sense to me, but she was not in the command hierarchy. Additionally, Carol Marcus's sciencey stuff makes sense in that they're an organization sent out by the same government that commands starfleet, they have their own uniforms and everything, but they're clearly not authorized to engage in warfare. The members of the organizations you mentioned don't wear the same uniforms as the US armed forces.*

It's not really a big complaint on my part, but it points to a desire by the writers to go in two different directions and further proves that DS9 is the best trek.

*that reminds me, out of morbid curiosity, I checked out a subreddit for calling out stolen valor (people pretending to be veterans when they're not) and it seems to be populated partially by veterans, active duty military, relatives thereof, and partially by people who are itching to find a reason to attack someone. I found several threads where someone would post a picture of a guy wearing a uniform that had pants with one camo pattern and a top with a different one and OP saying "look at this faker, they can't even get their clothes to match right!" and other people popping in to say "nah, this is probably from when we had that uniform transition and he got the new jacket before he got the new pants..." in that regard when they do the uniform transition in DS9 it was remarkably orderly :v:

Then again if someone was wearing the wrong pants, how would you tell?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Oxyclean posted:

I want to see the episode where Barclay has command of the bridge.

It was the one where he hooks his brain up to the ship and takes over.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

I want to see the episode where Spider Barclay has command of the bridge.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
One of the things that stuck out in my first true watch-through of TOS was all the military undertones. I guess it was TNG where Gene Roddenberry's vision of a peaceful humanist utopia really solidified. In TOS it seemed like he hadn't yet devoted much thought to exactly what kind of society was behind Starfleet. Mostly he was just nerding out about Navy-type stuff in space.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

To seek out new life, and new civilizations, secure in the knowledge we can glass the surface of their homeworld if poo poo goes south.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

"So space exploration is the name of the game, but 8 out of 10 times you're gonna end up shooting at something."