Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

HenryEx posted:

Y'know, it's pretty funny that the big thing about the strange alien race, which is defined by its uncanny ability to perfectly mimic something, is supposed to be that they - gasp! - don't have mirror neurons. You know, these things that make humans imitate each other. Like when smiling or yawning
Well, the mimic octopus doesn't need to understand what a piece of coral actually is before digsuing itself as one.

I'm surprised that mimics understand human consciousness at all. Their behavior seemed very animal-like throughout the game (with their human 'hosts' simply repeating some speech patterns when random neurons get activated) which is why the ending where you destroy the operators and kill Alex seemed the most probable to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Nahrix posted:

I've only played about 1h-2h of this game so far, and it has been the most memorable, emotional, mind-blowing gaming experience of at least the last decade of my life.

I'm sorry about your life

HenryEx posted:

Y'know, it's pretty funny that the big thing about the strange alien race, which is defined by its uncanny ability to perfectly mimic something, is supposed to be that they - gasp! - don't have mirror neurons. You know, these things that make humans imitate each other. Like when smiling or yawning

Coffee cups dude. They just go around copying our coffee cups, toilet rolls and any other random crap around us. There are no human mimics in the game before humans do weird science.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It was cool when I got to the Cargo Bay crew and one guard's conversation options were all the lines that the phantoms were using throughout the game but said unironically.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I like that mimics sometimes disguise into things right in front of you, like they think that'll somehow make you forget they exist. The mimics' AI does an interesting job of characterizing them as living creatures that are dangerous, but also pretty simple-minded and dumb, and I have no idea if that was intentional or not.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Palpek posted:

It was cool when I got to the Cargo Bay crew and one guard's conversation options were all the lines that the phantoms were using throughout the game but said unironically.

Wait, when do you hear phantoms talking? I played through the entire game and couldn't understand a single thing they were saying, it just sounds like they're garbling in a vaugely human way. I didn't take any Typhon powers, is this something you only hear with alien juice in you? I didn't really give them much chance to talk because I was boosting around the room at a zillion miles an hour in slow motion blasting them in the face with a shotgun, but I was sneaky for the first quarter of the game and didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. What kind of things do they say?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Turn on subtitles, they're speaking plain english under all the garbled mess.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Songbearer posted:

Wait, when do you hear phantoms talking? I played through the entire game and couldn't understand a single thing they were saying, it just sounds like they're garbling in a vaugely human way. I didn't take any Typhon powers, is this something you only hear with alien juice in you? I didn't really give them much chance to talk because I was boosting around the room at a zillion miles an hour in slow motion blasting them in the face with a shotgun, but I was sneaky for the first quarter of the game and didn't hear anything out of the ordinary. What kind of things do they say?
If you have subtitles on you can read what they're saying, but it is a bit garbled.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
There was like one time in the entire game where i actually heard them say the things they apparently do according to the subtitles. It was kind of garbled but recognizable. Only once, though. Every other time it's just cacophonous rumbling that doesn't even try to resemble words.

Not sure how i got that to happen.

ErKeL
Jun 18, 2013

HenryEx posted:

There was like one time in the entire game where i actually heard them say the things they apparently do according to the subtitles. It was kind of garbled but recognizable. Only once, though. Every other time it's just cacophonous rumbling that doesn't even try to resemble words.

Not sure how i got that to happen.
Had the same thing I think. Only once I heard something that was pretty clear compared to the rest of it. Can't remember what it said but it was deeply chilling.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you're really really close and are listening closely, you can kinda make it out, but it's basically imperceptible.

The only one I am able to recognize is "What do you see in the glass?"

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

CJacobs posted:

The only one I am able to recognize is "What do you see in the glass?"

I heard one say that, right after using a looking glass. It was creepy, even if random.

I can't make them out either, except that line.

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

bewilderment posted:

It gets pretty relaxing once you get the Mimic Detector chip.
Other things that make the game a more pleasant experience are upgrading the damage of the shotgun, and getting the stealth upgrade that makes your regular walking silent.
For midgame phantoms this means (unless they're voltaic) you can happily walk around after scanning for mimics and just walk up behind a phantom and blast it in the back.

Yeah, I made the mistake of unlocking the medbay when I had nothing but a wrench and a gloo cannon. It took a long time for me to figure out how to kill those phantoms.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I just started the game. How do I get into the blocked-off area underneath the fabricator in the machine shop? It has a bunch of supplies inside, but the door's blocked by a bunch of crates that can't be shifted without Leverage III. I assume there's another way in.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Wanderer posted:

I just started the game. How do I get into the blocked-off area underneath the fabricator in the machine shop? It has a bunch of supplies inside, but the door's blocked by a bunch of crates that can't be shifted without Leverage III. I assume there's another way in.

Huck a recycler grenade at the obstruction.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wanderer posted:

Toss a Recycler Charge at anything that isn't nailed down :ssh:.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Or place some explosive canisters next to them and shove the boxes to create an opening.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Or use a leverage 2 object to displace them with repeated pummeling.

You can probably also shapeshift your way into the room although I haven't tested that for sure. Does the Phantom Teleport let you go through fences or moveable scenery? I'm just realizing I never tried.

So I have a question, something I missed:

What was the point of the whole beginning area? Like what was the supposed rationale for that stuff? Why was Morgan in that situation to begin with, what was the supposed end?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

GlyphGryph posted:

What was the point of the whole beginning area? Like what was the supposed rationale for that stuff? Why was Morgan in that situation to begin with, what was the supposed end?

The excuse the plot gives is that they wanted to make sure the typhon mods wouldn't interfere with any other mods, so they had to remove all of Morgan's preexisting neuromods, which meant resetting his/her memory back to the moment they first joined TranStar. The excuse runs a little thin since there's no evidence that neuromods have ever interfered with each other in any other context, and there's no rationale given for why the tests required Morgan to believe that he/she was still a new TranStar employee. You could speculate on various possible reasons, but the game never really says any of them.

Personally I think the real reason is Chris Avellone loves his amnesiac player crutch and will lean on it every chance he gets.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Mzbundifund posted:

The excuse the plot gives is that they wanted to make sure the typhon mods wouldn't interfere with any other mods, so they had to remove all of Morgan's preexisting neuromods, which meant resetting his/her memory back to the moment they first joined TranStar. The excuse runs a little thin since there's no evidence that neuromods have ever interfered with each other in any other context, and there's no rationale given for why the tests required Morgan to believe that he/she was still a new TranStar employee. You could speculate on various possible reasons, but the game never really says any of them.

Personally I think the real reason is Chris Avellone loves his amnesiac player crutch and will lean on it every chance he gets.

Afaik, Avellone was brought on mostly for fleshing out smaller characters and background writing. Don't think he had much input on the main plot.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mzbundifund posted:

But I think it becomes obvious quite quickly that it's just an excuse. That was for the original plan, where Morgan was re-briefed every time he had his neuromods removed and put back to work. That's when he made all the operators, because that process was messing with him. But that's very much not the process you woke up in at the end: By the end they weren't rebriefing you, they weren't letting you recover, they were simply pulling them out and putting them back in.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

But I think it becomes obvious quite quickly that it's just an excuse. That was for the original plan, where Morgan was re-briefed every time he had his neuromods removed and put back to work. That's when he made all the operators, because that process was messing with him. But that's very much not the process you woke up in at the end: By the end they weren't rebriefing you, they weren't letting you recover, they were simply pulling them out and putting them back in.

I inferred that even in the original plan they were doing a fairly large number of experiments between re-briefings. Presumably the re-briefing and acclimation process takes Morgan a few days, whereas with the earth simulation they can potentially do dozens of additions and removals in a single day. As for why they stopped doing the rebriefings, I assumed that the personality drift meant that Alex felt he could no longer trust Morgan and he needed to get him/her out of the way.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

NRVNQSR posted:

I inferred that even in the original plan they were doing a fairly large number of experiments between re-briefings. Presumably the re-briefing and acclimation process takes Morgan a few days, whereas with the earth simulation they can potentially do dozens of additions and removals in a single day. As for why they stopped doing the rebriefings, I assumed that the personality drift meant that Alex felt he could no longer trust Morgan and he needed to get him/her out of the way.
Yeah, this. You'd have to repeat the same procedure multiple times just to be a proper experiment. Presumably Morgan sets up an experiment, draws up possible changes that might need to happen based on some results, then Morgan vanishes into the sim lab for awhile, getting repeatedly modded and de-modded. Morgan then gets brought out, re-briefed, maybe creates an Operator, and then repeats the cycle. On the last cycle, Alex felt like he didn't trust Morgan so didn't bring Morgan out like planned.

As for why this happens at the start of the game, I thought that the outbreak basically happened as it initially appeared to the player. So everything prior to what the player sees actually did happen, it just happened a long time ago and now it serves at the background for the sim. Once the game starts, you're playing the sim.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Actually, the plot of Prey is really about trivialization of advanced technology.

The neuromod, a device that can give you the skill of Mozart and insight of Einstein, is used by Morgan Yu to..... have slightly bigger pockets and lift really heavy things with his/her mind.

Truth be told, if neuromods were real, everyone would use them to become sex gods. Or imitate perfect fart noises.

(game good, get game)

Actual question: There was a quest on the Bridge, in the Captain's Quarters, where you find what looks like a feed for a shuttle that left Talos 1, that's heading to "point Seattle". There is a countdown on the screen, and an option to remotely detonate the shuttle. I thought that the fake chef escaped on it and blew it up, thinking also that it would be horrible if there was a mimic on board (and there is always a mimic on board) and the shuttle was heading to Earth/another station. Turns out, it wasn't the chef at all - so who did I blow up? When I finished the game, I got the Do No Harm/I and Thou achievements, so I assume there were no humans on board. Hopefully, it was literally a shuttle full of mimics, because gently caress mimics.

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 30, 2017

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Will the corrosive gas lines damage typhon? I can't check because I'm not near any. If so, I think I just found an easy early game way of dealing with that thermal phantom in the trauma center.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Captain Gordon posted:

Actual question: There was a quest on the Bridge, in the Captain's Quarter, where you find what looks like a feed for a shuttle that left Talos 1, that's heading to "point Seattle". There is a countdown on the screen, and an option to remotely detonate the shuttle. I thought that the fake chef escaped on it and blew it up, thinking also that it would be horrible if there was a mimic on board (and there is always a mimic on board) and the shuttle was heading to Earth/another station. Turns out, it wasn't the chef at all - so who did I blow up? When I finished the game, I got the Do No Harm/I and Thou achievements, so I assume there were no humans on board. Hopefully, it was literally a shuttle full of mimics, because gently caress mimics.

Oh no, it was full of people. There were details on one of the computers. They'd just been running a supply mission and were happily returning to earth, they left about half an hour before the outbreak was noticed so there might not have been any mimics on board.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh no, it was full of people. There were details on one of the computers. They'd just been running a supply mission and were happily returning to earth, they left about half an hour before the outbreak was noticed so there might not have been any mimics on board.

Well, gently caress

Another question: What was the deal with the Middle East evacuation?

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 30, 2017

Molrok
May 30, 2011

GlyphGryph posted:

Regarding the people onboard, if the passenger manifest in the Pilot Planning Room in Shuttle Bay is to be trusted, it's Carolyn Wheeler, the PR person listed as off station, and Gustav Leitner on that shuttle (and 3 other stooges nobody cares about).

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

GlyphGryph posted:

If you pay close attention to emails and audio logs you'll notice that mimic have been around on the station for quite a bit longer than people noticed.

Captain Gordon posted:

Well, gently caress

Another question: What was the deal with the Middle East evacuation?

Don't really need to spoiler that, it's only sort of vaguely hinted at in loading screen tips, one audio log and some book excerpts you can find. Essentially the recycler tech ran rampant and now it's only allowed in space.

Personally my theory is that something akin to the operators were being used in conjunction with the recycler tech to clean the streets and started seeing everything as something that needs recycling. Or something like that any ways, I don't see why there'd be mentions of shooting and bombing otherwise.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I think I've bugged out the Nightmare. The first one appeared in the shuttle bay, just staring at a wall already at 1/4 health. I didn't get any sort of notification or countdown when it was there and it died to a single recycler charge. Later on another one appeared, with notification and timer this time, after getting my reward for freeing the stuck escape pod. It just ran back and forth in an adjacent room and made zero effort to come find me. The latest one just appeared in the hardware lab after unlocking the neuromod DRM, and again just ran around for the 2:30 countdown in a nearby room.

Are they actually this useless at finding you, or am I just getting lucky? I've just now installed the emitter on the satellite outside that lets you call or repel them, so I might try calling one in a big open room to see what happens.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

jammyozzy posted:

I think I've bugged out the Nightmare.

Sounds like typical nightmare behavior. They look big and intimidating, but are complete idiots.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Their AI is based on sight and sound just like the rest of the enemies, but with a slightly larger radius. You only get the popup etc when it notices you and starts coming for your rear end, and the one facing the wall never noticed you because it was... facing the wall :downs:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Hey, dumb question, are the escape pods even set up for reentry? Because I blew up the shuttle on the bridge because mimics were 100% around well before the outbreak was noticed (there's a log that talks about an engineer plugging a part into something and having it melt into organic black goo and pretty much the entire supply room in one area is mimics) and then, without thinking, freed the escape pod. If they're capable of reentry on their own I kind of hosed that self-imposed quarantine up though I suppose the escape pod is small enough and the escapees know about the mimics so they could theoretically scour the whole place, but still. Quarantine procedures!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

CJacobs posted:

Their AI is based on sight and sound just like the rest of the enemies, but with a slightly larger radius. You only get the popup etc when it notices you and starts coming for your rear end, and the one facing the wall never noticed you because it was... facing the wall :downs:

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Sounds like typical nightmare behavior. They look big and intimidating, but are complete idiots.

I saw the nightmare behind a door, so I went an alternate route using an upper level in the same area. It never saw me. It followed me all the time though and moved from one side of the room below me to another side of the room. I changed rooms like twice and it followed me into the new room each time. The nightmare has some kind of bullshit tether to you. It always knows where you are and keeps on knowing where you are. It doesn't know how stairs work though.

InAndOutBrennan
Dec 11, 2008

redreader posted:

It doesn't know how stairs work though.

You're protected.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

redreader posted:

I saw the nightmare behind a door, so I went an alternate route using an upper level in the same area. It never saw me. It followed me all the time though and moved from one side of the room below me to another side of the room. I changed rooms like twice and it followed me into the new room each time. The nightmare has some kind of bullshit tether to you. It always knows where you are and keeps on knowing where you are. It doesn't know how stairs work though.

Fortunately the nightmare is foiled by such devious Transtar creations such as walls, doorways that aren't 11 feet tall, changes in elevation and those grav-tube things they can't fit into. If a nightmare is bothering you, just go to another room and avoid it for 3 minutes. It will go away.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Yeah I really didn't feel too bad about the option to blow up the outbound shuttle and I was doing a rescue run. Call me pragmatic but I couldn't take the risk.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

The first time I properly encountered the nightmare, it was defeated by a movable shelf wedged into a door so awkwardly that even leverage 3 couldn't move it.

The second time I encountered it (the forced time in the power plant) I shot it with a Q Beam until it died.

The third time I encountered it, I sat in a locked room for two minutes until it went away.

It is not very spooky. It even moos.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

redreader posted:

I think the way it works is that any monster starts moving toward you if it's at 1 pip below detecting you, and the nightmare is hardcoded to be there at minimum once it has detected you at all. So it always gets to generally know where you are, which means if the game spawns one directly after entering, say, the bridge, there can be basically no way to avoid it. It also spawned one out of thin air right in front of me when I went back to neuromod division once.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Nightmare would have been better as a human-sized enemy that can follow you everywhere. Make it completely unfair, if it spots you then you're either dead or you have to find some way to kill it before it kills you. If you can't animate it following you through vents then make it throw stuff or create fire in vents until you leave. Have it follow you through doors, make it super hard to hide from after it finds you.

I think all it did was shoot slow blobs at you, I had over 90 exotic cubes towards the end of the game because I just farmed them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
New update, 1.04, will add the previously advertised PS4 Pro enchantments.

PS4 Pro Support added for:
  • Enable Screen-Space Reflections
  • Higher quality shadows
  • Improved texture appearance
  • More texture memory (stable streaming)
  • Anisotropy 16x (from 4x)
  • Improved visual fidelity
  • Less LOD usage
  • Dynamic lights show up further
  • Particles are allowed to draw more pixels per effect
  • Particle refraction enabled
  • And also additional fixes for PS4 input drift

Plus, for all versions:
  • Glooing Cook between objectives no longer breaks mission
  • ‘Nightmare is Hunting You’ no longer plays after completing ‘Copy Protection’ without Typhon Neuromods installed
  • Disgruntled Employee mission now properly completes if player finds Grant Lockwood prior to getting mission.
  • Sarah Elazar will now give the code for Cargo Bay B if player has hostility from Phantoms
  • Aaron Ingram will no longer flee and cower when released in Psychotronics
  • Player can no longer lock themselves in the security pharmaceuticals office in Trauma
  • Superfruit no longer appears shrunken and flat when fully grown.
  • Adjusted timing on several cutscenes.
  • Blank objective markers no longer persist above reticle
  • Using key actions while controller prompts are shown will no longer cause a freeze.
  • Tracking bracelets are now sent to Recycler with “Transfer all Junk”

https://www.reddit.com/r/prey/comments/6eau6p/prey_playstation_4_update_v_104_patch_notes/