Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

There Bias Two posted:

You do realize that there is a huge difference in the number of deaths from guns versus jello, right?

insert hot take about dihydrogen monoxide here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Zuck ran Facebook like a lovely frat for the first couple years, including making the guys dress like Zuck and the girls wear fawning pro Zuck poo poo on his birthdays.

He's actually worse than Trump, but maybe his wife controls him now, she's pretty loving cool in inverse proportion to how much of a tool he is.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

There Bias Two posted:

You do realize that there is a huge difference in the number of deaths from guns versus jello, right?

So how many number of deaths is appropriate?

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pinch Me Im Meming posted:

General question:

How does it feel like to be an american as of right now?

We've been this way for a long time. It's just that the facade of normalcy is finally flaking off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

FizFashizzle posted:

I think palin is going to be a historical afterthought tbqh. She had no lasting legacy to speak of and the reaction to obama was going to happen regardless. There was no VP pick that was going to stop them from losing.

McCain will likely be seen as someone who was passed by by republican politics.

It remains to be seen if he has a heroic final act last stand, or if he just withers away.

Like, you can blame McCain for Palin and that opening the door for Trump... but there were so many moments and chances for the Republican Party to turn back. There were so many points during 2015 and 2016 that they could have stopped this. There were so many points of Romney doing a photo op with Trump and Trump being a regular at CPAC or years of Birtherism that they could have stopped this. There's so many historical steps from Goldwater to the Southern Strategy to Reagan in Mississippi to the Tea Party. Palin and McCain are just a brick in the wall.

McCain's legacy will be that he pissed everything away in his final years and lost all credibility to stay in power and stay good with a Republican Party and a President that stood against the things he believed and insulted him personally.

But he didn't create this Trump problem any more than every other Republican for the last 50 years did.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 30, 2017

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Burning_Monk posted:

People die from eating jello. They are incapable of handling that awesome loving responsibility!

I guess you could technically eat a gun, but this is a pretty cool bit of stupidity my dude

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Honestly if I'm Nancy Pelosi I'm orchestrating fake memos "leaked" from the Trump white house that they're considering gun registration to keep guns out of the hands of the non-college educated or something. Then come out condemning the federal government for overreacting on gun control. At this point why not

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
It's so loving obvious Trump personally colluded with Russia, that most of his team knew about it and some of them helped, and that his party were well aware and probably complicit. It's been obvious since last year just from things that were public knowledge. Every week more damning stuff comes out, real things not the Mensch conspiracy theories. It's going to take something like the piss tape for it to matter and probably not even then, where the conversation will change to "why is being friendlier with Russia a bad thing?"

I feel crazy, which is probably the point.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

Like, you can blame McCain for Palin and that opening the door for Trump... but there were so many moments and chances for the Republican Party to turn back. There were so many points during 2015 and 2016 that they could have stopped this. There were so many points of Romney doing a photo op with Trump and Trump being a regular at CPAC or years of Birtherism that they could have stopped this. There's so many historical steps from Goldwater to the Southern Strategy to Reagan in Mississippi to the Tea Party. Palin and McCain are just a brick in the wall.

McCain's legacy will be that he pissed everything away in his final years and lost all credibility to stay in power and stay good with a Republican Party and a President that stood against the things he believed and insulted him personally.

Trump is just a symptom of a preexisting condition.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What will the NRA do once 3D printed weapons begin to approach the quality and reliability of gun manufacturers? You can anyway print a gun, it sucks, but give it 5-10 years.

Will they side with hobbyists as an individual right? Or will they side with the manufacturers who are going to be lobbying for this to be banned?

If they do, what will NRA membership think of the orgs silence on new laws banning home printed weapons?

They will unquestionably side with manufacturers. They will not be required to remain silent on these laws for long however. "Keeping guns in the hands of white law-abiding citizens" will be a powerful narrative. Can't have urban-types printing guns, can we? Membership will fall in line to a man.

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Ague Proof posted:

It's so loving obvious Trump personally colluded with Russia, that most of his team knew about it and some of them helped, and that his party were well aware and probably complicit. It's been obvious since last year just from things that were public knowledge. Every week more damning stuff comes out, real things not the Mensch conspiracy theories. It's going to take something like the piss tape for it to matter and probably not even then, where the conversation will change to "why is being friendlier with Russia a bad thing?"

I feel crazy, which is probably the point.

Yes. Check this Adam Curtis doco out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HyperNormalisation

quote:

The term "hypernormalisation" is taken from Alexei Yurchak's 2006 book Everything was Forever, Until it was No More: The Last Soviet Generation, about the paradoxes of life in the Soviet Union during the 20 years before it collapsed.[3][4] A professor of anthropology at the University of California, Berkeley,[5] he argues that everyone knew the system was failing, but as no one could imagine any alternative to the status quo, politicians and citizens were resigned to maintaining a pretence of a functioning society.[6] Over time, this delusion became a self-fulfilling prophecy and the "fakeness" was accepted by everyone as real, an effect that Yurchak termed "hypernormalisation".[7]

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

General question:

During the weekends I can usually distract myself with sports, video games, and leisure. During the week when our moron president is literally trying to kill us, destroy our alliances, and sell us out to Russia, it is this sort of low-grade, endless, numbing horror.

MarioOnTheComputer
Feb 5, 2002

General question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_8O-iDvlmA

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

https://twitter.com/chuckwoolery/status/869581555051704320

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

General question:

poo poo's always sucked for PoC. It'll only get worse, but at least more white people are dying because they hate us so much they'll defund their own social safety net.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

I guess? Is this a question?

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

What will the NRA do once 3D printed weapons begin to approach the quality and reliability of gun manufacturers? You can anyway print a gun, it sucks, but give it 5-10 years.

Will they side with hobbyists as an individual right? Or will they side with the manufacturers who are going to be lobbying for this to be banned?

If they do, what will NRA membership think of the orgs silence on new laws banning home printed weapons?

The NRA is and always has been about drumming up business for gun manufacturers. They will 100% be against.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Burning_Monk posted:

Yeah man you can't say that cancer is worse than jello because both cause deaths and really where do you draw the line in the appropriate number of deaths

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Here's some fun data.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeffreyGuterman/status/869592985733926913

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

General question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm_GPkOfVKI

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

One of the actual whistles made it through quality control at the Dog Whistle Factory

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

nra members will think what they are told to think, just like they always have

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

General question:

Me, Lying in a Bath Tub Full of Ice with Sutures Over Where My Kidney Should Be: *slowly raises one hand to give you a thumbs up* Doin' alright, man.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Burning_Monk posted:

None, obviously. But the point is risk minimization. Both guns and jello are considered useful to society, yet both do kill people at differing frequencies. If one asks, "Is there anything we could do to minimize the risk of injury from the use of this item?", the answer for jello is a resounding "No." For guns, on the other hand, there are regulatory measures that we could take that would reduce the amount of deaths they cause while still allowing them to be used.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Tatsuta Age posted:

I guess you could technically eat a gun, but this is a pretty cool bit of stupidity my dude

Ya, Stone Cold's logic was pretty dumb. "guns are a loving bad thing" because people are irresponsible with it is as bad and argument as "[anything] is a loving bad thing" could be used. It's an argument a kid makes.

Guns can be used for [bad thing]. But are guns mostly used for [bad thing]? Again what's the number of deaths that make it appropriate to talk about it? Can we discuss cigarettes? Power tools? Are you for removing all hand saws because they could be used irresponsibly or maybe setup some kind of regulations on use? Stone cold made no distinction so he gets a jello joke.

There Bias Two posted:

None, obviously. But the point is risk minimization. Both guns and jello are considered useful to society, yet both do kill people at differing frequencies. If one asks, "Is there anything we could do to minimize the risk of injury from the use of this item?", the answer for jello is a resounding "No." For guns, on the other hand, there are regulatory measures that we could take that would reduce the amount of deaths they cause while still allowing them to be used.

Stone Cold's post made no distinction. "guns are a loving bad thing" was his argument.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 30, 2017

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

General question:

Have you ever had a loved one in the hospital or badly sick and you had to go about your regular life but the whole time you were just looking at your phone waiting to hear news and letting your mind jump to all the worst places? And then there'd be moments where you'd genuinely forget and lose yourself in something good or fun but then you'd remember and be overcome with guilt? And then your phone finally makes a noise and for a second that feels like a lifetime you feel paralyzed and overwhelmed with dread about what the message is going to tell you and how bad things might be? And like even if its good news it comes with a long conversation about everything that could still go wrong or still has to be dealt with which is all bad news but just isn't the worst possible news?

That's kind of what its like being an American right now.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 30, 2017

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

General question:

Kind of like the car chase in Bad Boys II where the bad guys start hucking dead bodies into highway traffic, only they never run out of bodies.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
hi everyone, lets not talk about guns.

thanks and god bless

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Burning_Monk posted:

Ya, Stone Cold's logic was pretty dumb. "guns are a loving bad thing" because people are irresponsible with it is as bad and argument as "[anything] is a loving bad thing" could be used. It's an argument a kid makes.

Guns can be used for [bad thing]. But are guns mostly used for [bad thing]? Again what's the number of deaths that make it appropriate to talk about it? Can we discuss cigarettes? Power tools? Are you for removing all hand saws because they could be used irresponsibly or maybe setup some kind of regulations on use? Stone cold made no distinction so he gets a jello joke.

the man using arguments a small child would feel stupid earnestly arguing calls sensible arguments arguments a kid would make

my sides

how can we regulate guns if we do not regulate literally every single thing that could cause harm, the man who asserts he is not mentally disabled and should be allowed to carry dangerous items says

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TildeATH posted:

Zuck ran Facebook like a lovely frat for the first couple years, including making the guys dress like Zuck and the girls wear fawning pro Zuck poo poo on his birthdays.

He's actually worse than Trump, but maybe his wife controls him now, she's pretty loving cool in inverse proportion to how much of a tool he is.

I doubt he's worse than Trump.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

paranoid randroid posted:

Me, Lying in a Bath Tub Full of Ice with Sutures Over Where My Kidney Should Be: *slowly raises one hand to give you a thumbs up* Doin' alright, man.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

I mean, if we manage to survive this it will be nice to know who all the closet rascist/fascist/antisemites were. Like, it's nice to know that Rob Schneider and Chuck Woolery are basically unreconstructed asshats.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Have you ever had a loved one in the hospital or badly sick and you had to go about your regular life but the whole time you were just looking at your phone waiting to hear news and letting your mind jump to all the worst places? And then there'd be moments where you'd genuinely forget and lose yourself in something but then you'd remember and be overcome with guilt? And then your phone finally makes a noise and for a second that feels like a lifetime you feel paralyzed and overwhelmed with dread about what the message is going to tell you and how bad things might be? And like even if its good news it comes with a long conversation about everything that could still go wrong or still has to be dealt with which is all bad news but just isn't the worst possible news?

That's kind of what its like being an American right now.

This but the diagnosis is terminal cancer. You could be waiting for years, or months, or weeks, but the conclusion is foregone.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Burning_Monk posted:

Stone Cold's post made no distinction. "guns are a loving bad thing" was his argument.

And that's the bottom line! :iamafag:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Burning_Monk posted:

the best thing about guns in america is that they are more frequently used to commit suicide than homicide. for this reason alone i oppose gun control

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
We need to ban fully-automatic jellos.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Pakled posted:

My dad bought a fuckton of guns during the Obama years and when he passes away, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them all. I don't want em and I know it would be better for society​ if I just destroyed them, but on the other hand, I'd probably make something in the high four digit range selling them all.

Can I have a couple?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Al Borland Corp. posted:

The NRA is similar to the GOP in that they buddied up to the crazy for so long that they are stuffed full of true believers. Exorcising them would destroy the organization so the leadership will probably dance around the subject while being vaguely pro-printed-gun until the really crazy nut jobs get enough power to install someone who will go all-in.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

At least learn what a communist is....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I actually remember thinking snap elections that most countries have as soon as a majority doesn't like their leader were a bad thing, and that a duly-elected president needs to have the freedom of 4 years to do things that might be unpopular but necessary, and gradually convince people that he's right before the next election. Smugly thinking to myself every time some mildly bad news happened to a leader in another country "heh, guess they'll toss him out soon, what a silly, unstable system".

We have 3.5 more loving years before we have a chance to correct this epic mistake.

• Locked thread