Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Broccoli Cat posted:

Are you saying that an ape taking antidepressants is better than a simulated perfect mind with the ability to choose whichever levels of depression keep life spicy?

Pretend you are a simulated consciousness in a solid-state universe right now, and you have simply programmed yourself not to be aware of it for a certain amount of time...there, you are now experiencing exactly how different things would feel...

My argument is only against mind simulation/uploading that involves giving the resulting person abilities dramatically departing from what humans are normally capable of. For example, the human mind/experience isn't really equipped to deal with things like thinking as fast as a modern computer or having 4 arms or whatever. It's sorta like how if you took a straight man/woman and made them gay it would fundamentally change who they are, only far more exaggerated.

So this specific argument doesn't really apply to Matrix-esque simulation of humans-as-humans (or giving people immortality). The main point is that human brains evolved specifically to function with a certain type of body, so you can't just digitize a human brain and then give it a bunch of abilities humans can't normally experience. It's like saying you'll digitize a dog brain and give it human intelligence; it doesn't make sense unless you're willing to create what is effectively a new individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
If we define intelligence as "the ability for something to be what it is" then when you think about it everything is equally intelligent! But then you have to ask, "how is this definition useful?"

So how is your definition useful, Eripsa?

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

My argument is only against mind simulation/uploading that involves giving the resulting person abilities dramatically departing from what humans are normally capable of. For example, the human mind/experience isn't really equipped to deal with things like thinking as fast as a modern computer or having 4 arms or whatever. It's sorta like how if you took a straight man/woman and made them gay it would fundamentally change who they are, only far more exaggerated.

So this specific argument doesn't really apply to Matrix-esque simulation of humans-as-humans (or giving people immortality). The main point is that human brains evolved specifically to function with a certain type of body, so you can't just digitize a human brain and then give it a bunch of abilities humans can't normally experience. It's like saying you'll digitize a dog brain and give it human intelligence; it doesn't make sense unless you're willing to create what is effectively a new individual.

Yeah, I'm with you and Eripsa on this one. The mind experiences the world through the body because the mind is part of the body. Thoughts in your brain exist in space - in your body! It's not like you can remove facts/data from lived experience.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

im glad op gave eripsa a new thread after the last one burned down :unsmith:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Eripsa needs to be making his own thread, damnit! :argh:

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Proud future citizen of Pitcairn.

Pitcairn is the perfect place for me to set up my utopia!

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair, the mind isn't built for dealing with Times Square or /pol or Donald Trump either. And the range of human body morphology is astoundingly large, and it changes dramatically over the course of a life. Brains are very plastic. There are limits to that plasticity, but we shouldn't overstate those limits.

One big thing to recognize is that the critical periods of child development involve radical pruning of the neural network. Baby brains start off with many times more neural connections than an adult. As the baby grows, it learns which pathways get used, and which don't, and it starts shutting things down. This is why it's easy to learn languages as a kid, not not as an adult. Adults can certainly learn languages, but they have to train up networks that have already partly specialized for other tasks. Baby brains aren't really specialized at all.

That means you could probably stick four arms on a baby and it would figure out how to use them pretty well.

Here's a fantastic short story for the thread. Enjoy.

https://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v405/n6786/full/405517a0.html

quote:

Catching crumbs from the table
Ted Chiang

No doubt many of our subscribers remember reading papers whose authors were the first individuals ever to obtain the results they described. But as metahumans began to dominate experimental research, they increasingly made their findings available only via DNT (digital neural transfer), leaving journals to publish second-hand accounts translated into human language.

Without DNT, humans could not fully grasp earlier developments nor effectively utilize the new tools needed to conduct research, while metahumans continued to improve DNT and rely on it even more. Journals for human audiences were reduced to vehicles of popularization, and poor ones at that, as even the most brilliant humans found themselves puzzled by translations of the latest findings.

No one denies the many benefits of metahuman science, but one of its costs to human researchers was the realization that they would probably never make an original contribution to science again. Some left the field altogether, but those who stayed shifted their attentions away from original research and toward hermeneutics: interpreting the scientific work of metahumans.

Textual hermeneutics became popular first, since there were already terabytes of metahuman publications whose translations, although cryptic, were presumably not entirely inaccurate. Deciphering these texts bears little resemblance to the task performed by traditional palaeographers, but progress continues: recent experiments have validated the Humphries decipherment of decade-old publications on histocompatibility genetics.

The availability of devices based on metahuman science gave rise to artefact hermeneutics. Scientists began attempting to 'reverse engineer' these artefacts, their goal being not to manufacture competing products, but simply to understand the physical principles underlying their operation. The most common technique is the crystallographic analysis of nanoware appliances, which frequently provides us with new insights into mechanosynthesis.

The newest and by far the most speculative mode of inquiry is remote sensing of metahuman research facilities. A recent target of investigation is the ExaCollider recently installed beneath the Gobi Desert, whose puzzling neutrino signature has been the subject of much controversy. (The portable neutrino detector is, of course, another metahuman artefact whose operating principles remain elusive.)

The question is, are these worthwhile undertakings for scientists? Some call them a waste of time, likening them to a Native American research effort into bronze smelting when steel tools of European manufacture are readily available. This comparison might be more apt if humans were in competition with metahumans, but in today's economy of abundance there is no evidence of such competition. In fact, it is important to recognize that — unlike most previous low-technology cultures confronted with a high-technology one — humans are in no danger of assimilation or extinction.

There is still no way to augment a human brain into a metahuman one; the Sugimoto gene therapy must be performed before the embryo begins neurogenesis in order for a brain to be compatible with DNT. This lack of an assimilation mechanism means that human parents of a metahuman child face a difficult choice: to allow their child DNT interaction with metahuman culture, and watch him or her grow incomprehensible to them; or else restrict access to DNT during the child's formative years, which to a metahuman is deprivation like that suffered by Kaspar Hauser. It is not surprising that the percentage of human parents choosing the Sugimoto gene therapy for their children has dropped almost to zero in recent years.

As a result, human culture is likely to survive well into the future, and the scientific tradition is a vital part of that culture. Hermeneutics is a legitimate method of scientific inquiry and increases the body of human knowledge just as original research did. Moreover, human researchers may discern applications overlooked by metahumans, whose advantages tend to make them unaware of our concerns.

For example, imagine if research offered hope of a different intelligence-enhancing therapy, one that would allow individuals to gradually 'upgrade' their minds to a level equivalent to that of a metahuman. Such a therapy would offer a bridge across what has become the greatest cultural divide in our species' history, yet it might not even occur to metahumans to explore it; that possibility alone justifies the continuation of human research.

We need not be intimidated by the accomplishments of metahuman science. We should always remember that the technologies that made metahumans possible were originally invented by humans, and they were no smarter than we.

Eripsa fucked around with this message at 17:34 on May 30, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Grafting baboon arms onto a fetus is very unethical IMHO.

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

WrenP-Complete posted:

Yeah, I was speaking about the psychological definition.

So hmmm.... do roads have intelligence? Other tools?

Who What Now posted:

If we define intelligence as "the ability for something to be what it is" then when you think about it everything is equally intelligent! But then you have to ask, "how is this definition useful?"

So how is your definition useful, Eripsa?

My view is that intelligence is judged relative to goal acquisition. Something is more intelligent as it is better able to accomplish its goals. A thing is not its goals, WWN.

Let's say that a road has the following simple goal: "to efficiently and safely move drivers between destinations". An "intelligent" (Aristotle would say "good") road will accomplish this this well: it will be well constructed, well marked, no potholes, etc. A stupid or bad road would be lovely and would not accomplish that goal well. On these very straightforward definitions, I can say things like "It is smarter to take Central Ave than 8th Street, because that road is stupid and confusing" etc.

Roads don't have many goals beyond these. Maybe some aesthetic goals. And you can apply similar metrics to hammers and chairs and tables.

quote:

"I would like to remind us all once again that this table is a sacred piece of furniture that should be treated with respect. As a matter of principle, we should not place glasses and bottles of wine on it.”

This was not the first time that Council members have expressed respect for their table...

But no one expects a road to write a sonnet. No one expects a cat to write a sonnet either. AI challenges our conception of intelligence partly because it is whomping us at what we thought to be our exclusive domain.

Eripsa fucked around with this message at 17:38 on May 30, 2017

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Eripsa posted:

My view is that intelligence is judged relative to goal acquisition. Something is more intelligent as it is better able to accomplish its goals. A thing is not its goals, WWN.

Let's say that a road has the following simple goal: "to efficiently and safely move drivers between destinations". An "intelligent" (Aristotle would say "good") road will accomplish this this well: it will be well constructed, well marked, no potholes, etc. A stupid or bad road would be lovely and would not accomplish that goal well. On these very straightforward definitions, I can say things like "It is smarter to take Central Ave than 8th Street, because that road is stupid and confusing" etc.

Roads don't have many goals beyond these. Maybe some aesthetic goals. And you can apply similar metrics to hammers and chairs and tables.

But no one expects a road to write a sonnet. No one expects a cat to write a sonnet either. AI challenges our conception of intelligence partly because it is whomping us at what we thought to be our exclusive domain.

so by your metric is trump intelligent af then

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

stone cold posted:

so by your metric is trump intelligent af then

so what you're saying is that you still have respect for the office of the presidency

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Eripsa posted:

Says who? Have you never heard people say you should "be yourself"? Who are you to tell me, or anybody or anything else, that they shouldn't be who or what they are? What are the criteria for an "acceptable" goal, since apparently goals must now meet some sort of arbitrary set of rules?

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Eripsa posted:

so what you're saying is that you still have respect for the office of the presidency

not when a republican death cultist occupies it, no

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Eripsa posted:

What does this have to do with anything? If your goal is to dodge the question you aren't very smart.

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

I was trying to say that Trump was only successful if you had respect for the office, but apparently my sarcasm is too dark for this thread.

Trump was mostly in the right place and time to be the fall guy for America. He might appear to be "successful" now by some eyes, but I don't think history will judge him so kindly.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:

WrenP-Complete posted:

Yeah, I'm with you and Eripsa on this one. The mind experiences the world through the body because the mind is part of the body. Thoughts in your brain exist in space - in your body! It's not like you can remove facts/data from lived experience.

the mind is not "part" of anything, as saliva and farts are not "part" of anything

the mind is the by-product of chemical reactions, locked into the determinism of supraquantum-scale physical moments.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Eripsa posted:

I was trying to say that Trump was only successful if you had respect for the office, but apparently my sarcasm is too dark for this thread.

Trump was mostly in the right place and time to be the fall guy for America. He might appear to be "successful" now by some eyes, but I don't think history will judge him so kindly.

Why does it matter how history judges him? If his goal was "become president" then was he intelligent in regards to that specific goal, yes or no?

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

Eripsa posted:

but I don't think history will judge him so kindly.

all history books are now written by Statists, so that jump is up there with "I wonder if the history books will tell people WHY the country was desperate enough to vote for such a grotesque"

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Broccoli Cat posted:

the mind is not "part" of anything, as saliva and farts are not "part" of anything

the mind is the by-product of chemical reactions, locked into the determinism of supraquantum-scale physical moments.

I may have misspoke. The mind is an emergent property of an elecrochemical system, but it wouldn't exist without the brain, which is part of the body. And I don't know anything about determinism or quantum.

Eripsa, neural pruning is important but don't forget about myelination. :science:

WrenP-Complete fucked around with this message at 18:32 on May 30, 2017

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Huzanko posted:

I wonder if you could break the Ship of Theseus if you slowly swapped out pieces of your brain for cybernetic SSDs or whatever whenever that's possible, so that your consciousness can migrate and expand into the electronic brain slowly. Just have to work out that pesky problem of where your consciousness actually lives in the brain.

A book I've written and I'm almost finished editing has exactly that notion; they are of the belief that a wholesale transfer of consciousness, while possible, would kill the original. So they have a very slow and complicated process of replacing brain cells, as they die, with a machine equivalent rather than allowing a new natural one to grow.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

A book I've written and I'm almost finished editing has exactly that notion; they are of the belief that a wholesale transfer of consciousness, while possible, would kill the original. So they have a very slow and complicated process of replacing brain cells, as they die, with a machine equivalent rather than allowing a new natural one to grow.

Oooh that sounds cool.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I sort of wondered if you could just use like computer memory that worked like neurons integrated with the brain to gradually supplant it.

R.e. resources, if you can manipulate the world on a molecular level like this surely recycling and space mining techs and so on could use the same abilities to maintain a reasonable standard of living indefinately, particularly if people arent reproducing enough that the population outgrows the economy

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mister Adequate posted:

At the end of this process wouldn't the person look so different from when they started that the "original" is still effectively dead anyway?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Who What Now posted:

Why does it matter how history judges him? If his goal was "become president" then was he intelligent in regards to that specific goal, yes or no?

Not really. He made a lot of unforced errors and arguably had it as a tighter race than it needed to be. Didn't even win the popular vote in the end. Considering the nature of the conflict, he wins because Hillary Clinton was worse at the goal than he was, not because he was particularly good at it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mulva posted:

Not really. He made a lot of unforced errors and arguably had it as a tighter race than it needed to be. Didn't even win the popular vote in the end. Considering the nature of the conflict, he wins because Hillary Clinton was worse at the goal than he was, not because he was particularly good at it.

Under any useful definition of intelligence, you're right. I'm talking about Eripsa's definition, though.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

the funny thing about this belief is that it simultaneously assumes that only the subject can observe its own consciousness, and that only outside observers can observe when consciousness begins or ends. naturally the reaction to this lack of falsifiability is "hmm yes consciousness works in mysterious ways".

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

Mister Adequate posted:

The illusion of time has us believing in our own continuity, but we are truly not even the same us from a moment passed.

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Broccoli Cat posted:

The illusion of time has us believing in our own continuity, but we are truly not even the same us from a moment passed.

Broccoli Cat posted:

Eripsa posted:

What do you think is the point of living, if not swirling in chaotic poo poo?

Like, what will you finally be free to do, once freed from this chaotic poo poo? If freed from these restrictions, what becomes possible? Because a god trapped in a tupperware container around some dim star doesn't sound so amazing tbh

Would appreciate an answer here BC. What part of this chemical reaction network do you think "you" are, which parts of it do you want preserved for posterity, and why?

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Mister Adequate posted:

I'm sure you know that this case has been fairly well explored in the philosophy of mind. Here's a good intro to the technical arguments: http://philosophicaldisquisitions.blogspot.com/2014/09/chalmers-vs-pigliucci-on-philosophy-of.html

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Who What Now posted:

At the end of this process wouldn't the person look so different from when they started that the "original" is still effectively dead anyway?

Yes, but the entity performing this process considers that irrelevant, the 'preservation' of the consciousness is the objective, and I am deliberately agnostic on to what extent they succeed and whether success in this manner is possible at all. (Honestly though that point is not the primary focus of the novel. Also not of the thread.)

One of my other books (only one that's out lol) also has a brief segment on future Christianity trying to come to grips with how clinical immortality, suicide being a sin, and the inability to reach heaven if you don't die all interact. I'm no theologian and it's again not the focus of the novel, but I like thinking about how schools other than my own might approach this stuff.

e; ^ I am indeed! I'm not smart enough to offer definitive answers, only the beliefs I am personally comfortable with, so I try to be fairly broad with it as a literary device.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 30, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Mister Adequate posted:

One of my other books (only one that's out lol) also has a brief segment on future Christianity trying to come to grips with how clinical immortality, suicide being a sin, and the inability to reach heaven if you don't die all interact. I'm no theologian and it's again not the focus of the novel, but I like thinking about how schools other than my own might approach this stuff.

Everyone will die eventually, even machine​ bodies will not survive the heat death of the universe. What's a few quadrillion years to an infinite god? Not that it wouldn't be a theological issue to a lot of people, but I imagine that would be the kneejerk apologetic.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Broccoli Cat posted:

we also know that "the haves" are the only driving force civilization has ever had, even when "the haves" are disguised as an inefficient corrupt political aristocracy and addressed as "comrade"
The haves don't actually generate their own wealth, they expropriate it from the have nots. Its why they have not.

Technology will eventually make the existence of haves superfluous, and then we'll get socialism.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

rudatron posted:

The haves don't actually generate their own wealth, they expropriate it from the have nots. Its why they have not.

Technology will eventually make the existence of haves superfluous, and then we'll get socialism the great purging.

Fixed

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I don't like it when people die, even when they're [opponents of my currently favoured political ideology].

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

rudatron posted:

Technology will eventually make the existence of haves superfluous, and then we'll get socialism.

In that the haves will, either active or inactively, eliminated the have-nots from existence and become the sum total living human population. Then yes, the term haves will have become irrelevant and their society will be socialist.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

Kerning Chameleon posted:

the term haves will have become irrelevant and their society will be socialist.

only when we become machines, since Socialism is simply corrupt inefficient Capitalism, and antithetical to human nature...

or as our leader would say; "Covfefe."

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Eripsa posted:

Would appreciate an answer here BC. What part of this chemical reaction network do you think "you" are, which parts of it do you want preserved for posterity, and why?

i'm not sure if you asking a question or just trying to figure out what their position is, but the best way I've heard it described is that consciousness is a process, like a flame.

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

A big flaming stink posted:

i'm not sure if you asking a question or just trying to figure out what their position is, but the best way I've heard it described is that consciousness is a process, like a flame.

I mean, okay, everything is a process. I'm not asking him what his metaphysics are. I want to know why he cares to live forever. What does he want to accomplish with that time? What does he hope to put it towards?

Why do we care if that flame keeps burning or not?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Eripsa, have you finalized the list of requirements a goal needs to meet to be valid in your eyes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eripsa
Jan 13, 2002

Who What Now posted:

Eripsa, have you finalized the list of requirements a goal needs to meet to be valid in your eyes?

If you want to be technical, talk of goals is shorthand for talk of trajectories through state space.

So list all the states that a system can be in, and then describe the paths through those states it takes. An agent is any system that moves through state space, and the more complex and intelligent the agent, the most paths it can take through this space that arrive at the same destination.

I'll quote this again is you missed it.

The technical issue of goal-orientation is studied in philosophy under the label of "teleology", and it is intimately tied to the same functionalist and mechanistic theories that underlie computer science.

See, eg:
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/content-teleological/
https://plato.stanford.edu/entries/teleology-biology/

• Locked thread