Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I cant freaking wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

GOLDEN ERA GAMES [author] 2 hours ago
Sorry. Really thought with a month lead time I was expecting to get the Steam store page set up within a few days. Most of the complications came from having dual citizenship in two countries and making a mistake initially how to apply.

FFS Cleve

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

All this Tekken talk had me wondering what's up with Virtua Fighter these days, and I learned that Yakuza 6 includes the entirety of Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown, including online play.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
I'll only watch Jim's videos on the odd occasion but I have to say, that new theme song is a downgrade.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

an actual dog posted:

All this Tekken talk had me wondering what's up with Virtua Fighter these days, and I learned that Yakuza 6 includes the entirety of Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown, including online play.

It also has a sidestory where you challenge people to puyo puyo. I love Yakuza

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

FirstAidKite posted:

Sometimes I enjoy jim's vids but idk if it is just because I am biased in favor of nintendo but when he starts talking about nintendo, it doesn't matter how many disclaimers he puts up, he always sounds like he's just whining and being a crybaby about them :shrug:

though not exclusive to this fanbase, nintendo fans are very....sensitive to criticism from what I've seen, it's very difficult to have an honest discussion about a company's flaws and compare it objectively to competitors when that company is a bit of a sacred cow

The fact that he has to put up a ton of disclaimers before talking about nintendo is a sign of this. I think the disclaimers are annoying personally, no need to protect his viewers' feelings. He's a critic after all, and I don't often see him set up preambles when bashing other companies.

Anyways, Nintendo makes cool stuff but they are far from perfect and I think a lot of his criticism is very valid. That's my take on it anyways

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nintendo did in one day what Sony has yet to do on PS4: release a first party game worth owning

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

KingSlime posted:

though not exclusive to this fanbase, nintendo fans are very....sensitive to criticism from what I've seen, it's very difficult to have an honest discussion about a company's flaws and compare it objectively to competitors when that company is a bit of a sacred cow

The fact that he has to put up a ton of disclaimers before talking about nintendo is a sign of this. I think the disclaimers are annoying personally, no need to protect his viewers' feelings. He's a critic after all, and I don't often see him set up preambles when bashing other companies.

Anyways, Nintendo makes cool stuff but they are far from perfect and I think a lot of his criticism is very valid. That's my take on it anyways

I think it's impossible for a lot of people to be rational about Nintendo, the imprinting is much too deep.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I wouldn't normally give up on a game when I've almost finished it but I've decided I hate every single thing about The Evil Within and I can't even remember the last time I found anything about it fun or interesting.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Yeah I just don't get why another person's opinion of a faceless corp should iliicit a strong emotional response from anyone, let alone death threats or other insane reactions that people like Sterling are no strangers to.

I usually just nod my head in agreement or think "nah, he/she is wrong" to myself before forgetting about the whole thing in a millisecond when listening to opinions about video games.

Internet people have no chill

E: This could also be part of a facet of our culture, where people really, really dislike negativity and are hostile towards critical analysis in general. Maybe, maybe not but I am reminded of the time where I asked my friend to calculate her per-hour wage on Uber to know how much she really earns after taxes. I was (playfully) bashed by our small circle of friends for "being too negative bro." I'm sorry I wanted you to know what your exact wage is for your own benefit Erin, jesus christ stay on that hot 1099 gig then

My post got a bit side-railed but I've come to realize that realists are super not kosher in the US, which is bizarre to me because a realistic and grounded outlook has helped me climb and maintain some sort of safety net

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 30, 2017

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I wouldn't normally give up on a game when I've almost finished it but I've decided I hate every single thing about The Evil Within and I can't even remember the last time I found anything about it fun or interesting.

I watched cjacobs play through it and I cannot for the life of me see what he saw in it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One thing is that I almost never agree with Jim Sterling's game reviews. I just think we have wildly different perspectives on what we want out of a game. We align on, like, Souls games and Nioh and Mario Kart and that's about it. I also don't think his reviews are particularly interesting to read or that his criticisms are well-considered or particularly educated, even when I agree with his overall opinion of a game. I mostly go to him for the Jimquisition specifically.

FirstAidKite posted:

Sometimes I enjoy jim's vids but idk if it is just because I am biased in favor of nintendo but when he starts talking about nintendo, it doesn't matter how many disclaimers he puts up, he always sounds like he's just whining and being a crybaby about them :shrug:

I think in many cases, his criticisms of Nintendo are pretty fair. It does help that I believe him that his criticisms come from a place of love--he loves a lot of Nintendo games and I think he'd much prefer if Nintendo didn't do the lovely things they do. I remember that he praised Hyrule Warriors's DLC as "DLC done right," for example, and his recent video about Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is extremely positive and highlights the good things that Nintendo does to make their games inclusive.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
quote is not edit yo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

KingSlime posted:

I just mean when he starts complaining about the nes mini and how nintendo must have done a limited release on purpose and they're bad for doing it or the time he was claiming it's now completely justifiable to pirate nintendo games because he was trying to go for clickbaity hyperbole and it was pretty dumb and made him sound like...well, a whiny crybaby to be honest :shrug: like, there are things that are problems with nintendo (forcing gimmicks into things where they don't belong is a pretty big one that keeps cropping up) but sometimes he just sounds like he needs to just...chill out lol

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Haha yeah I can see where you're coming from.

But I'm admittedly on the "pirate everything" bandwagon (and didn't watch his entire NES mini episode to be fair, just a few snippets)

I think the NES classic becoming a huge thing when my phone from 2010 could play NES games even better is really weird, but I can see how he was being hyerbolic as hell

Also I think I just don't get "the public", and the older I get, the more I am convinced that this is 100% a Good Thing

E: but yeah my real issues with nintendo have nothing to do with the NES classic, but rather the lack of games on new consoles for months and months, the dumb gimmicks, the inferior online and hardware options, etc. I still want a switch but I'm waiting for at least 3-5 must-owns and more WiiU/VC ports, poo poo's barren yo. That new monster hunter port is going to be slick, glad I didn't play it on sad grainy display 3ds, and it looks like SMTV might also be making its way to switch so its a confirmed purchase for me, eventaully

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 30, 2017

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Switch has been out three months and it took the PS4 18 to get a good exclusive.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I dislike negativity, so I will threaten to kill you if you are negative -- The Internet, 2017

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Sakurazuka posted:

The Switch has been out three months and it took the PS4 18 to get a good exclusive.

I thought Knack was a launch title?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Yep and I didn't pick up a ps4 until recently!

It's not a competition for me though, I just look at a console's current and potential library individually before deciding whether to buy it. So who did it "first" or whatever is one of those things that people fixate on that I just don't get

Another poster also replied with a PS4 fact, y'all think I'm the sony ambassador or something? Pointing out nintendo's flaws doesn't also automatically come with the implication that sony or MS are better

E: I have a PC and have always regarded my PS4 as its lesser functional, "special needs" cousin who is hoarding a few titles I really wish I could play on my PC (and yes PC has its problems too, before someone jumps to cover that ground). I just like good experiences y'all

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 18:54 on May 30, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Imagine being 30 years old and still fighting console wars over the internet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I don't really have a lot else to do

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

exquisite tea posted:

What's a video game veteran supposed to do, not put their experience to good use?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

tap my mountain posted:

What's a video game veteran supposed to do, not put their experience to good use?

I still have PTSD from the blast processing offensive.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
By Jade on 19 April 2017
Verified Purchase
Amazing game with lots of interest and a great entertaining storyline with fab characters. Brilliant graphics too. Best ever game for all the family to enjoy. When will you do the next one? Will definitely buy it!

By P-Diddy on 17 May 2017
Verified Purchase
It's ok keeps the boy happy

By Rachael lindley on 21 April 2017
Verified Purchase
Well I have only just started playing this half an hour ago and up to now it's a great game and my 3 year old loves it! Thankyou!

By Mr. M. A. Montgomery on 8 Dec. 2013
Verified Purchase
We'll I have to say it took me four days to complete Knack. Loved every minute of it. Quality is excellent in all ps4 games amazing but white glare all through the game due to dust on the disk. I would advise everyone to buy this, but make sure you clean the disk when you take it out of the cover.

deflectionson 17 March 2015
Verified Purchase
OK,for the brain dead,

Bykim ole lølandon 1 October 2014
Verified Purchase
2 player on this game disipointed me badly. It was terribly, 2 player 1 life. Sadly..
I was expekting more since it was to ps4

ByJ-Lon 14 July 2014
As the 3 star description says, Its OK, its certainly not the best game available on the ps4, but i dont think its the worst (thief is) - knack is no doubt a kids game and is very repetitive and some of the designs are flat, the levels are all the same, however its cheap and its a good thing to pass time time with

yMiss W.on 23 January 2016
Verified Purchase
My son loves this game but little white dots like snowflakes appear on the screen. He isn't bothered by them but once you notice them they drive you crazy!!!!

ByS Mooreon 1 June 2016
Verified Purchase
Bought this as a pressy for my son who says it's okay but has only played it a few times - seems to be gathering dust.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

exquisite tea posted:

I mean, do little kids even care about Mario or Zelda? If adults don't defend them then who will???

Won't someone think of the Marios

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe instead of fighting each other, Nintendo and Sony fans should team up to defeat Xbox

Saint Freak posted:

I mean, do little kids even care about Mario or Zelda? If adults don't defend them then who will???

Won't someone think of the Marios

My niece loves Luigi, Rosalina, Iggy Koopa and Princess Peach in that order

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe instead of fighting each other, Nintendo and Sony fans should team up to defeat Xbox

It's not fun to pick on the little guy though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Help Im Alive posted:

Don't bully the disabled imo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm embarrassed for the person who made this.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

I dunno Microsoft seems to be handling that well enough on their own

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I enjoy game industry punditry on a level slightly below sports team rivalries or ranking musicians, it's something to idly chatter about with someone that has shared interests. The second you have a serious emotional investment in a "winner", though, you're heading into some dark places

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I legitimately can't remember, were goons making GBS threads on Microsoft during the 360 days as well?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I doubt it​, 360 was awesome.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I mean, I was because I went through something like 6 consoles because they were made like poo poo.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Mordja posted:

I legitimately can't remember, were goons making GBS threads on Microsoft during the 360 days as well?

We had a whole subforum for it!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

In Training posted:

Nintendo did in one day what Sony has yet to do on PS4: release a first party game worth owning

japan studio who worked on bloodborne is owned by sony. Supposedly a lot of the dlc was their work

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also keep in mind that youtube people are going to be perhaps disproportionately more upset with Nintendo because of their weird youtube policies.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

In Training posted:

That's kind of insincere all the while first party games are all the switch will ever have going for it

• Locked thread