Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Inspector_666 posted:

Why am I supposed to dislike Bryce Harper again?

because he's better looking and more talented than me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Oh my god he's only 24 still, I keep forgetting just how young he is

Can't wait to see the hot takes when he signs his $500m contract

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Intruder posted:

Harper is really really good at baseball and isn't fake humble about it, so what

He's really super tryhard about being super-hyper-masculine that it sometimes borders on ridiculous, and it always amuses me. From the wild-rear end eyeblack, to the periodic outbursts on the field, to the time he broke a bat bashing it against a wall in a tunnel and a piece came back and hit his eye, to the ESPN body issue, to the time he was instigating arguments with a previous manager... Most of this stuff is small, some of it is not-so-small, and certainly not all of it is objectively bad, but all of it cumulatively is LOL.

Sometimes he's praised for saying something like "let guys flip bats", but it's a moment when a broken clock is right twice a day because really is just continuing his effort to be the world's biggest alpha male. Sure you can argue he's super competitive, but it's also kind of arrogant, and very jackassy. Guys who try to project that hard about their alpha status always rub me the wrong way; whether they're athletes or businessmen or artists or whatever.

Granted, he's been feted by media people into thinking he's the greatest athlete into gods green earth, and bounced out of school and young adult life early so he could be in MLB as young as he possibly can, so it's kind of not surprising he is like he is, but let's call a dingus a dingus.

He's not the worst thing about baseball, though. That's AJ Pierzynski.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what's wrong with murphy? i didn't know he was hateable. seems like a nice enough guy.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Abel Wingnut posted:

what's wrong with murphy? i didn't know he was hateable. seems like a nice enough guy.

He has a passive aggressive "Christ commands me to love the gays, but scorn their sinful lifestyle" approaches to gay teammates.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
To be a proper analogy, the batter's response to getting HBP would be to let go of the bat during a swing in his next at bat and try to hit the pitcher. Actually, that would kind of own.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
There is nothing, nothing, nothing wrong about appearing in an ESPN Body Issue. Not one damned thing. :q:

Abel Wingnut posted:

I don't agree with his religiously anti-homosexual lifestyle. :colbert:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Sometimes he's praised for saying something like "let guys flip bats", but it's a moment when a broken clock is right twice a day because really is just continuing his effort to be the world's biggest alpha male. Sure you can argue he's super competitive, but it's also kind of arrogant, and very jackassy. Guys who try to project that hard about their alpha status always rub me the wrong way; whether they're athletes or businessmen or artists or whatever.

And I posit the following: who cares?

It's fun to watch Harper destroy baseballs and it's funny that you're making GBS threads on him for acting alpha male when he just got thrown at for doing his job over two years ago to prove some point (that if Strickland isn't good enough to get him out then he'll be a big whiny baby about it I guess)

Lots of guys get emotional. Papi destroyed a bullpen phone. Bo broke a bat over his knee

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Intruder posted:

It's fun to watch Harper destroy baseballs and it's funny that you're making GBS threads on him for acting alpha male when he just got thrown at for doing his job over two years ago to prove some point (that if Strickland isn't good enough to get him out then he'll be a big whiny baby about it I guess)

The context was, "why do people not like Harper", not "why does Strickland have moral high ground" (he doesn't.)

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Craptacular! posted:

He's really super tryhard about being super-hyper-masculine that it sometimes borders on ridiculous, and it always amuses me. From the wild-rear end eyeblack, to the periodic outbursts on the field, to the time he broke a bat bashing it against a wall in a tunnel and a piece came back and hit his eye, to the ESPN body issue, to the time he was instigating arguments with a previous manager... Most of this stuff is small, some of it is not-so-small, and certainly not all of it is objectively bad, but all of it cumulatively is LOL.

Granted, he's been feted by media people into thinking he's the greatest athlete into gods green earth, and bounced out of school and young adult life early so he could be in MLB as young as he possibly can, so it's kind of not surprising he is like he is, but let's call a dingus a dingus.

He's not the worst thing about baseball, though. That's AJ Pierzynski.

No see he says abrasive stuff about umpires and opposing players which just makes him so loving cool

Like yeah I get it, he's one of the top 3 baseball players in the majors but SAS gets weird whenever anyone tries to point out that he's been regarded as an immature twat most of his professional career and most people don't really hate seeing someone like that get socked, whether he deserved it or not (he didn't)

for the record, i don't even know exactly why he's regarded as such which I guess is on me

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

"Why do people not like Harper" could probably be summed up as "He's amazing and doesn't play for my team"

Kind of like how I don't like that rear end in a top hat Trout :colbert:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Julio Cruz posted:

Kyle Schwarber has over 300k All-Star votes :lol:

Seeing chicagoons profess their love for the fat baseball mummy was the best thing about last year's WS threads

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Craptacular! posted:

How dare a really good baseball player be intense and want to win games, how loving dare he. Not to mention that getting pissy about the amount of eyeblack he wears is :lol: as all hell.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

NiceGuy posted:

No see he says abrasive stuff about umpires and opposing players which just makes him so loving cool

Like yeah I get it, he's one of the top 3 baseball players in the majors but SAS gets weird whenever anyone tries to point out that he's been regarded as an immature twat most of his professional career and most people don't really hate seeing someone like that get socked, whether he deserved it or not (he didn't)

The only people I've seen call Bryce out for being immature are hot-take ESPN "analysts" and no-one should give the tiniest gently caress what any of them think.

Beller
Apr 9, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

He's really super tryhard about being super-hyper-masculine

Says the person who spent money on a Madison Bumgarner avatar.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have a very narrow view of what is acceptable for a professional athlete to do or not do and god help if you put on an excessive amount of eye black

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bewbies posted:

I have a very narrow view of what is acceptable for a professional athlete to do or not do and god help if you put on an excessive amount of eye black

You don't wanna be a Greg Hardy or something. Checks out

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I'm not going to post all the 'Bryce had it coming' tweets from across the MLB after Papelbon choked him out but hoo boy were there alot of them, so saying it's just analysts and writers is bullshit

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Intruder posted:

Lots of guys get emotional. Papi destroyed a bullpen phone. Bo broke a bat over his knee

Brett Lawrie threw a helmet :classiclol:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

Brett Lawrie threw a helmet :classiclol:

Julian Tavarez broke his hand

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Intruder posted:

"Why do people not like Harper" could probably be summed up as "He's amazing and doesn't play for my team"

Kind of like how I don't like that rear end in a top hat Trout :colbert:

At least Trout has the common goddamn courtesy to be the only good player on his team.

Intruder posted:

You don't wanna be a Greg Hardy or something. Checks out

https://twitter.com/Mono11/status/841823389002129408

(it's to distract you from the fedora collection :laugh:)

Intruder posted:

EDIT: But actually people say the same poo poo about Harper, Papi, and Bautista yet everybody seems to accept it at face value about Bryce.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 30, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Salvor_Hardin posted:

To be a proper analogy, the batter's response to getting HBP would be to let go of the bat during a swing in his next at bat and try to hit the pitcher. Actually, that would kind of own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65JTu0lxDSE

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Traxis posted:

The worst thing in baseball is God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch.

With one glorious exception that I am obligated to mention every time it comes up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tp_hlLIKbXg

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Intruder posted:

Andre Dawson got ejected from a game against the ... Reds, I think (I was there, all of seven years old at the time), and because he got so pissed at the umpire he hurled like seventeen or eighteen bats onto the field before hitting the showers. :v:

Oh, hey, it was Cowboy Joe who tossed him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzmSdOIy-lg

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Actually to truly be a proper analogy it would be for the batter to do that in an at bat after the opposing pitcher strikes him out and fistpumps or does the long slow walk around the mound.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

NiceGuy posted:

I'm not going to post all the 'Bryce had it coming' tweets from across the MLB after Papelbon choked him out but hoo boy were there alot of them, so saying it's just analysts and writers is bullshit

lol

Timby posted:

Andre Dawson got ejected from a game against the ... Reds, I think (I was there, all of seven years old at the time), and because he got so pissed at the umpire he hurled like seventeen or eighteen bats onto the field before hitting the showers. :v:

I love everything about this

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

Goddamn that's amazing :allears:

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Hmm yes quite the refutation, but have you considered :fuckoff:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Goddamn that's amazing :allears:

Hawk's basically the all-time king of borderline Hall of Famers, but he was so fun to watch.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

NiceGuy posted:

Hmm yes quite the refutation, but have you considered :fuckoff:

Red Sox fan defends Papelbon for choking Harper, his evidence is a bunch of tweets

again, lol

e: And in a conversation in which Papelbon and Harper are discussed, Harper is somehow the known shithead. That makes it all the more hilarious

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
in a vacuum it's funny to think about somebody reacting to their own inability to get somebody out with intentionally not getting them out again, but in Real Life trying to hit somebody with a 98 mph fastball is insane garbage

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Intruder posted:

Red Sox fan defends Papelbon for choking Harper, his evidence is a bunch of tweets

again, lol

I didn't defend Papelbon choking Harper at all, I just said there was a contingent of players who did

again, :fuckoff:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I'll politely decline, thanks

If you can't handle someone laughing at your opinion that some people on twitter don't like Bryce or that some players believe in this dumb code of honor means he's a shithead then that's your business

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

harper's got style, even if it's cocky. he's fun and emotes and that makes him entertaining. and he's never done or said anything i disprove of, he just does it with his own style. he's a great character. this isn't that hard

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

I like Bryce

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

I'm glad good baseball man Buster Posey is beating back against the tide of Cubs Mediocrity.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Explosionface posted:

I like Bryce

I'd like him even better in blue and orange :getin:

(not the Mets)

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Intruder posted:

I'll politely decline, thanks

If you can't handle someone laughing at your opinion that some people on twitter don't like Bryce or that some players believe in this dumb code of honor means he's a shithead then that's your business

My business is discussing baseball in the baseball thread and if you think 'lol' is a worthwhile post then that's your business, mr. former mod. Nevermind the fact that you completely misrepresented what I saying in some dumb attempt to score points or something. You don't have to gently caress off but you are kind of a douche.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm glad good baseball man Buster Posey is beating back against the tide of Cubs Mediocrity.

I am personally offended at the lack of Michael Conforto on this list. :mad:

edit: and also the lack of Christian Yelich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

NiceGuy posted:

My business is discussing baseball in the baseball thread and if you think 'lol' is a worthwhile post then that's your business, mr. former mod. Nevermind the fact that you completely misrepresented what I saying in some dumb attempt to score points or something. You don't have to gently caress off but you are kind of a douche.

Your post was literally "There were a lot of tweets saying he had it coming so there must be something to him being a shithead"

Nevermind that you can find tweets defending literally anything (I'd bet there are more tweets saying Hitler did nothing wrong that are entirely sincere than there are tweets defending Papelbon) and nevermind that there are tons of players who think it's legitimately correct to assault someone for "not playing the game the right way"

Also lol at the "mr former mod" thing if that lol isn't too offensive for you

• Locked thread