Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Ok cool, that's good to know. Thanks!

Now I just need for them to mail my book. And mat. And a different order I made that weekend that's still pending, wtf.

It's a solid book. Mini campaign rules, six scenarios, simple points system. Not sure how balanced it is, but not a huge deal with such small lists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

I played some this weekend and fielded a lord of plagues and 4 blightkings. I wasn't able to split the kings up since you can only have each warscroll once in your warband. It devolved into my murderball slowly rolling across the field while my opponent with 4 different model types tried to flank and such.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Injuryprone posted:

I played some this weekend and fielded a lord of plagues and 4 blightkings. I wasn't able to split the kings up since you can only have each warscroll once in your warband. It devolved into my murderball slowly rolling across the field while my opponent with 4 different model types tried to flank and such.

The kings would all be individual models and their own unit. You can split them up.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I thought I posted these, but I guess not.

I figured to start off with my massive block of Stormcast, it'd be best to just do 5 Liberators and one of my 3 Lord Celestants on Dracoth.

Managed to get the basecoats, shade and some highlighting done on the Lord. Gotta add the details, and brighten up the yellow.

Bonus group shot:

Anyone else getting a Knights of Bretonnia vibe?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Moose-Alini posted:

Really makes the tiles pop.

Yessssssss, this looks great

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Zuul the Cat posted:

I figured to start off with my massive block of Stormcast, it'd be best to just do 5 Liberators and one of my 3 Lord Celestants on Dracoth.

Managed to get the basecoats, shade and some highlighting done on the Lord. Gotta add the details, and brighten up the yellow.

Bonus group shot:

They look like classic Empire to me. It's amazing how much better these sculpts look when GW isn't painting them.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

o...ornstein?

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Zuul the Cat posted:

Bonus group shot:

Those are great. I really like the Celestant.

Any thoughts on bases?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Moose-Alini posted:

Those are great. I really like the Celestant.

Any thoughts on bases?

Thanks!

Yep, gonna do Blighted Tundra with Snow.

Stirland Battlemire, drybrush Steel Legion Drab, drybrush Karak Stone , Mordheim Tufts. Then topped with Valhallan blizzard. Rims will be Steel Legion Drab.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Unpredictable Destruction gets rolled for every unit in range of a hero, right?

Also are the Skirmish rules worth grabbing?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, easily worth the ten bucks.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I'm kind of surprised at the small number of models required to play Skirmish - I was looking at the Skirmish bundles and thinking "Man, this Ironjawz Weirdnob Warband is only 72 points..." Then I saw that the recommended starting points value is 25, working up to 100. So one of the starters gets you three quarters of the way there, which is pretty great.

But then I also see that the Weirdnob alone is 24 points, so how in the world are you supposed to start at 25 points, with the minimum of three models, including a leader?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

I'm kind of surprised at the small number of models required to play Skirmish - I was looking at the Skirmish bundles and thinking "Man, this Ironjawz Weirdnob Warband is only 72 points..." Then I saw that the recommended starting points value is 25, working up to 100. So one of the starters gets you three quarters of the way there, which is pretty great.

But then I also see that the Weirdnob alone is 24 points, so how in the world are you supposed to start at 25 points, with the minimum of three models, including a leader?

Tons of heroes are over 20 points. I think starting with 35-50 makes a lot more sense even in a campaign.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If I take 2 or 3 Lord Relictors, can they each cast their signature spells on the same turn?

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

MonsterEnvy posted:

In news Age of Sigmar is getting a role playing game alongside Fantasy getting a new role playing game. (Though the lines will be seperate) Hopefully this allows them to work on the setting a bit.

Planescape: Stormfront

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TKIY posted:

Tons of heroes are over 20 points. I think starting with 35-50 makes a lot more sense even in a campaign.

I ordered the Weirdnob box set - it was only $50 shipped, so I'm going to give this game a try. I'd like to get a Megaboss, but, holy crow, those models are pricey.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I'm thinking about getting into AOS because I'm a loving idiot. I have a bunch of 40k daemons. With the new battle tome system or whatever can tzeentch daemons still ally with daemons of every other flavor?

How do you guys feel about the roll for turn rule? It really hosed me in the one game I played but other than that I had fun.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Stomping around like he owns the place!

Finished up my Lord Celestant on Dracoth. Kitted him out with the Lightning Hammer as the Thundershield. I ended up just grabbing one of those upgrade sprues from GW.

Really happy with how he turned out. I still need to touch some stuff up (jewelry, need to highlight the underbelly and the straps, as well as the clothing on the legs of the Lord Celestant, and fill that gap), but I just wanted to show him off.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Gay Horney posted:

I'm thinking about getting into AOS because I'm a loving idiot. I have a bunch of 40k daemons. With the new battle tome system or whatever can tzeentch daemons still ally with daemons of every other flavor?

How do you guys feel about the roll for turn rule? It really hosed me in the one game I played but other than that I had fun.

There are four big factions called Grand Alliances, and each of those have increasingly granular subfactions where you typically get better special rules the more focused you get.

There's a Chaos Daemon keyword, but afaik no Daemon Alliance abilities, so you would be using the general Chaos abilities which are fine but not great. If you focus down to Tzeench only you get some incredible special rules. Khorne onlyyou armies get some pretty good ones. Nurgle doesn't have army specific rules yet but probably will but the end of the year.

An undifferentiated Chaos Demon army should do just fine as a start getting into the game though, and you could just decide to build in a specific direction later.

The random turns loving sucks. I understand the added strategic layer of making decisions to plan around it, but it's still so swingy and potentially frustrating.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I read the Flesh -Eater Courts and am currently reading the Ironjawz Battletomes, and, I have to say they are not bad. I'm still lost as far as the actual setting goes, and think it very poorly defined, but GW is doing a good job with the fluff of the inhabitants. I'm cool with the Ghouls thinking they are some sort of royalty (I don't see them as strictly Bretonnians, like some people do, but whatever,) and I'm finding the Orruk (ugh) stuff funny and very Orc/Ork like:

quote:

Tearing iron from the [Soul Grinders], the orruks hammered the daemon metal into armour. Even though the living iron continually tried to crush them, the Brutes took great pride in their new armour, as it proved how "super killy" they must be.
:orks101: :orks: :orks101: :orks: :orks101: :orks: :orks101: :orks:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

berzerkmonkey posted:

I read the Flesh -Eater Courts and am currently reading the Ironjawz Battletomes, and, I have to say they are not bad. I'm still lost as far as the actual setting goes, and think it very poorly defined, but GW is doing a good job with the fluff of the inhabitants. I'm cool with the Ghouls thinking they are some sort of royalty (I don't see them as strictly Bretonnians, like some people do, but whatever,) and I'm finding the Orruk (ugh) stuff funny and very Orc/Ork like:

:orks101: :orks: :orks101: :orks: :orks101: :orks: :orks101: :orks:

The Khradron and Sylvaneth books are great for the same reason. Say what you will for the wider setting but the individual factions are full of character, cutting ties from the admittably more tradtional fantasy trappings has let the studio go crazy with concepts that probably would have clashed with WHFB.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SteelMentor posted:

The Khradron and Sylvaneth books are great for the same reason. Say what you will for the wider setting but the individual factions are full of character, cutting ties from the admittably more tradtional fantasy trappings has let the studio go crazy with concepts that probably would have clashed with WHFB.

I flipped through the Kharadron Overlords book and the art was amazing. And I had the same thought about the non-traditional fantasy when I was reading the Ironjawz book today - it would be nice if they were able to make a coherent description of the setting though. I find it amazing that with all the new art and obvious thought they put into the new races that they would be using maps that looked like they were labeled in Powerpoint and "all the Realms are connected by space tunnels or some poo poo!"

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

berzerkmonkey posted:

I flipped through the Kharadron Overlords book and the art was amazing. And I had the same thought about the non-traditional fantasy when I was reading the Ironjawz book today - it would be nice if they were able to make a coherent description of the setting though. I find it amazing that with all the new art and obvious thought they put into the new races that they would be using maps that looked like they were labeled in Powerpoint and "all the Realms are connected by space tunnels or some poo poo!"

Here's hoping AoSRPG pulls it off and gives some cohesiveness to the Mortal Realms setting.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Cubical Seven AoS book might flesh it out into something interesting, but man that's going to take a miracle.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

SteelMentor posted:

Here's hoping AoSRPG pulls it off and gives some cohesiveness to the Mortal Realms setting.

I hope so - WFRP did a lot to flesh out the Old World.

Side note: I managed to get the Island of Blood set from a local store today for $80, though it was originally marked for $150 (!) I know it's the same as the Spire of Dawn set, but at least I don't have to wait for it to come back in stock. Now I can run some rats for Skirmish.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 2, 2017

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
I think you'll have to just be at peace with AoS as the :catdrugs: setting

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I think a big problem is that GW keeps conflating the myth aspect (i.e. "Sigmar ate a fire mountain! Gorkamorka ate a city, and the inhabitants still live in his belly!") with the mortal aspect, and it's very confusing and haphazard. They need to separate the two and concentrate on the mortal realm, since that's where everything happens anyway. Also, having everything on different planes/realms but then just connecting them with the AoS webway so it's like one big plane/realm anyway was dumb. And the concept of time makes no sense in context of the background. I wish they would just say that all of this takes place in the Realm of Chaos, and everything would just "click."

I have no problem with a non-sensical setting, but they have to give some sort of context for it so we can have an anchor point. :catdrugs: is a perfect explanation though.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

berzerkmonkey posted:

I hope so - WFRP did a lot to flesh out the Old World.

Side note: I managed to get the Island of Blood set from a local store today for $80, though it was originally marked for $150 (!) I know it's the same as the Spire of Dawn set, but at least I don't have to wait for it to come back in stock. Now I can run some rats for Skirmish.

I think it originally retailed at $100 but welcome to the Rat Club, enjoy painting 900 Clanrats. Only downside is the old box only has square bases but circle slotta based are probably real easy to come by if you want them.

I know a lot about the individual factions of the game but yeah I have no goddamn idea how any of the world fits together or interacts even among a single Grand Alliance. I wanna see that stuff fleshed out.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

They could really do some cool stuff with AoS as the Old World's afterlife or its shadow in the Warp - somehow letting both settings coexist in some way would be to everyone's benefit.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

mango sentinel posted:

I think it originally retailed at $100 but welcome to the Rat Club, enjoy painting 900 Clanrats. Only downside is the old box only has square bases but circle slotta based are probably real easy to come by if you want them.
Yeah - I had purchased the set years ago, pretty much for the rulebook (I sold off the minis) and I don't think I would have paid that much for it. The $150 was going off of what the sticker on the box said. The store is pretty good about keeping prices at GW MSRP, so I don't know if that was GW pricing just before they pulled the set from the market.

I'm going to limit my rats to Skirmish, so I won't be doing 900 of them. I'll keep the large numbers at 10mm scale for Warmaster, thank you very much.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I'm very new to Sigmar (and Fantasy), and picked up the Start Collecting Skeletons box with the big dragon mounted dude, and two extra boxes of skeletons on sale.

I have a quick noob rules question regarding the skeletons and black knight/hexwraiths in the boxes -

1) Can the Skeletons mix weapons? I see that it says they can have swords or spears, but can I have a unit of half of each? Would this even be a good idea?

2) Can I mix and match hexwraiths/black knights in a squad? I'd maybe like to pick up the Start Collecting Malignant box to go with these dudes, and if they don't mix and match I ought to plan ahead.

I'm not really looking to power game, I barely even understand basic concepts of the rules.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

moths posted:

They could really do some cool stuff with AoS as the Old World's afterlife or its shadow in the Warp - somehow letting both settings coexist in some way would be to everyone's benefit.

Yeah it being something like Warhammer's planescape to the Old Worlds material plane could work well.

They are making a new Warhammer Fantasy game alongside the Age of Sigmar one, and with the popularity of stuff like Total Warhammer and Vermintide maybe they will bring the Old World back as a setting.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jun 4, 2017

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BaronVanAwesome posted:

I'm very new to Sigmar (and Fantasy), and picked up the Start Collecting Skeletons box with the big dragon mounted dude, and two extra boxes of skeletons on sale.

I have a quick noob rules question regarding the skeletons and black knight/hexwraiths in the boxes -

1) Can the Skeletons mix weapons? I see that it says they can have swords or spears, but can I have a unit of half of each? Would this even be a good idea?

2) Can I mix and match hexwraiths/black knights in a squad? I'd maybe like to pick up the Start Collecting Malignant box to go with these dudes, and if they don't mix and match I ought to plan ahead.

I'm not really looking to power game, I barely even understand basic concepts of the rules.

Unless you are just going to say Hexwraiths are Black Knights, you can't mix and match like that. It has to be one or the other.

You can mix and match weapons however.

Anyway you got a pretty nice leader dude with Arkhan the Black.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

MonsterEnvy posted:

Unless you are just going to say Hexwraiths are Black Knights, you can't mix and match like that. It has to be one or the other.

You can mix and match weapons however.

Anyway you got a pretty nice leader dude with Arkhan the Black.
I thought you couldn't mix and match weapons within a unit unless it stated otherwise.

Like it says "Some units are equipped with Ancient Blades, whilst others go to war with Ancient Spears." so all models within a single unit need to have the same weapon. I'm new so I could be reading that wrong. I know at least one exception where 'Ardboys can mix and match, but I don't know of others.

That said, AoS players seem to not be fussy with WYSIWYG since there are few options. If you want to model sword and spear guys interchangeably it shouldn't be an issue so long as you tell your opponent "this unit is using Ancient Blades" or whichever.

Black_Nexus
Mar 15, 2007

Nurgle loves ya

BaronVanAwesome posted:

You usually can't mix weapons in squads, and skeletons can't. I'd go with spears anyway, skeletons are best in big units to just throw out poo poo loads of attacks and the 2" reach helps with that a lot.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Thanks for the responses!

One more question regarding skeletons:

It talks about having a unit of 30. Each box I have comes with parts for a champion guy and a trumpet dooter.

If I want to make my 3 boxes into a unit of 30, I only want 1 champion and 1 dooter, and then 28 dudes with spears.

Right?

Edit: and standard bearer

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

BaronVanAwesome posted:

Thanks for the responses!

One more question regarding skeletons:

It talks about having a unit of 30. Each box I have comes with parts for a champion guy and a trumpet dooter.

If I want to make my 3 boxes into a unit of 30, I only want 1 champion and 1 dooter, and then 28 dudes with spears.

Right?

Edit: and standard bearer

Yeah.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
Thank youuuuuu~~~

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Any suggestions for where to find round slottas for beastmen? They don't fit 25mm rounds without clipping, and even then I think they'd be quite top heavy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Solemn Sloth posted:

Any suggestions for where to find round slottas for beastmen? They don't fit 25mm rounds without clipping, and even then I think they'd be quite top heavy

I get pretty much all my bases from ebay. Usually way cheaper than through GW.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WARHAMMER-4...DgAAOSwDiBZF5EL

• Locked thread