Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

there are low capacity .1g or high capacty 1g, which?

Scales? Hmm... I don't know. Just home use. Not large quantities. Starting to do stuff where recipes end up more precise (like .73 grams, etc) for gummy candies, etc... and I just wanted something I could be more specific with than oh, that's about 3/4 of a teaspoon, or whatever... :)

I didn't actually know there was a difference there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I've had one of these for the past year or two and it's been great:

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-SWS600-Pocket-Digital/dp/B00GS8LWIW

They've got another model that goes down to an accuracy of .01g if you need it (you don't).

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Good timing, my $6 eBay special straight from the factory in china is finally dying after like a decade of daily use for coffee. After so long, I have no idea how I even found it but I guess I need to replace it now.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

angor posted:

I've had one of these for the past year or two and it's been great:

https://www.amazon.com/Smart-Weigh-SWS600-Pocket-Digital/dp/B00GS8LWIW

They've got another model that goes down to an accuracy of .01g if you need it (you don't).

I bought the .01g one for quinine measurement and it's so sensitive it's annoying to use. Just looking at it hard will change the reading because it can sense the weight of your judgemental stare

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

BraveUlysses posted:

that recipe looks so good but definitely falls in to the "too much loving effort, kenji :argh:" for some satay

Well, honestly, most of the effort goes to making the curry paste. And while there's probably some great commercial ones out there, the Thai Kitchen ones I can find are not. But once it's done, you can use it for the glaze, for the sauce, for the marinade, etc. So, you see, if I had gear that could actually make large batches of curry paste, I could just cook up a big can of it and then use it whenever I need. :yum:

Also, the fanning the flames thing isn't really necessary unless your grill actually runs hot enough to have "flareups".

Neon Noodle posted:

Kenji is ridiculous. I read the ingredients to get a rough idea of flavor balance, but half the fuckin bullshit he tells you to do is nonsense.

Well, if you want bullshit, ChefSteps actually non-ironically suggests using liquid nitrogen in a recipe. :crossarms:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

I bought the .01g one for quinine measurement and it's so sensitive it's annoying to use. Just looking at it hard will change the reading because it can sense the weight of your judgemental stare

Eyeball movement displacing air.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Feenix posted:

Forgive me if I missed it but I searched the first 30 pages or so for keyword: Scale

Is there a fairly agreed upon awesome digital food scale? I can find lots under 20 bucks with 4.5 star reviews on Amazon, but they all smack of rebranded generics and despite the good reviews there are tons of ones that say they just stopped working after 3 weeks or whatever...

Any good ones for a fair(ly inexpensive) price?

Thanks!

Here.

You'll never need another scale.

EDIT: Oh, you need one with a higher resolution. Well, I can't help you with that, but you should buy this scale anyway because it's the best.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Feenix posted:

Is there a fairly agreed upon awesome digital food scale?

I bought the American Weigh Scales SC-2KG, which is the one that the sweet home recommended as very small and with 0.1g increment (ranges up to 4.4 pounds total). $17.64 on Amazon and like the Sweet Home says it will fit in a drawer.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-kitchen-scale/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RF3XJ2/?tag=thesweethome-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAH6N

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ulmont posted:

I bought the American Weigh Scales SC-2KG, which is the one that the sweet home recommended as very small and with 0.1g increment (ranges up to 4.4 pounds total). $17.64 on Amazon and like the Sweet Home says it will fit in a drawer.

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-kitchen-scale/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RF3XJ2/?tag=thesweethome-20&linkCode=xm2&ascsubtag=AgEAAAAAAAAAAH6N

I've had this guy since Oct 2015 used daily and it's been AOK with water/flour/etc all over it.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Jan posted:

Well, honestly, most of the effort goes to making the curry paste. And while there's probably some great commercial ones out there, the Thai Kitchen ones I can find are not. But once it's done, you can use it for the glaze, for the sauce, for the marinade, etc. So, you see, if I had gear that could actually make large batches of curry paste, I could just cook up a big can of it and then use it whenever I need. :yum:
you can't really recreate the grind you'll get with a mortar/pestle in a food processor. I realize this sounds like cooking nerd :circlefap: , but you can't get the same consistency or flavor profile

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Are there such things as instant read scales?

My current ones take a good 10 or so seconds to register changes. Ruined so much dough (because I'm lazy) because of it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yeah, analogue ones. :v:

My $20 amazon special digital scale is pretty much instant read too, are the batteries dying in yours?

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Elizabethan Error posted:

you can't really recreate the grind you'll get with a mortar/pestle in a food processor. I realize this sounds like cooking nerd :circlefap: , but you can't get the same consistency or flavor profile

The robot coupe serrated blade is actually perfect for getting that paste consistency.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Horse Clocks posted:

Are there such things as instant read scales?

My current ones take a good 10 or so seconds to register changes. Ruined so much dough (because I'm lazy) because of it.

INCEPTION MEGAPOST

The Midniter posted:

Here.

You'll never need another scale.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

The robot coupe serrated blade is actually perfect for getting that paste consistency.
a mortar and pestle doesn't cost >500$

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

https://www.amazon.com/Across-International-ZMP6-Zirconium-Mortar/dp/B0058V4KGG

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

The sole 5 star review of a $1500 mortar & pestle makes that link a pro click.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Some of us have robot coupes laying around :shrug:

Besides, all I was pointing out is that it's possible to get the consistency. Plenty of cheaper food processors have serrated blades.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Besides, all I was pointing out is that it's possible to get the consistency. Plenty of cheaper food processors have serrated blades.

Please stop being Chefy Chef again. Yes it's cool that your work let you have a busted coupe and all it needed was you fixing the power connections. You know how people can't stand BMW owners that try to mention their BMW in every conversation? You're doing that.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I sharpen my own knives with whetstones, etc. no big deal. I now have 2 Shun "utility" knives that have rounded "serrations"" on them. (Like they are convex and bumpy.)

What do you call that style? I want to look up how to sharpen those...

[Ed]

http://www.bladehq.com/imgs/knives/kitchen-knives/shun-cutlery/shun-premier-ultimate-utility-6in-tdm0741-large.jpg

Feenix fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 21, 2017

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

My Magimix (robot-coupe's consumer brand) does a pretty good job too, but the blade isn't heavily serrated. Still, it makes a better paste than Cuisinarts I've tried.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kuhn Rikon 8 quart pressure cookers are half price RIGHT NYAO

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Stainless-Steel-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B00009A9XU

I bought my 7 quart for $165, so get this bargain! I am already jealous of you!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 27, 2017

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Steve Yun posted:

Kuhn Rikon 8 quart pressure cookers are half price RIGHT NYAO

https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Stainless-Steel-Pressure-Cooker/dp/B00009A9XU

I bought my 7 quart for $165, so get this bargain! I am already jealous of you!

This is an amazing deal that everyone should definitely buy, including people who already have a pressure cooker. Including people who already have a Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Joule's are on sale today for $30 off and with the release of their cheaper, polycarbonate white model it brings the price of a Joule down to $150.

You can get the white one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0727R431B
Or buy direct from them https://www.chefsteps.com/joule

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm sure they both do awesome (and I have an Anova gen 2 (?) ) but has anyone determined if one is better than the other in any meaningful way?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Feenix posted:

I'm sure they both do awesome (and I have an Anova gen 2 (?) ) but has anyone determined if one is better than the other in any meaningful way?

The different Joule models? Or the Joule vs other brands?

There is no difference in performance between the Joule models. All that changed is that they're using white polycarbonate for the 'cap' and bottom piece in instead of stainless steel. That's why the white model cheaper.

As for Joule vs other brands, there is minimal difference in performance. The Joule's advantages are it's compact size for storage and ease of cleaning. It also a wifi-enabled model, so you can do the trick where you stick the food and circulator in a water bath filled with ice, then turn it on like two hours before you get home. So you have food ready right when you get home. Disadvantages are that it has no display and has no way to be controlled without a smartphone.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

.Z. posted:

The different Joule models? Or the Joule vs other brands?

There is no difference in performance between the Joule models. All that changed is that they're using white polycarbonate for the 'cap' and bottom piece in instead of stainless steel. That's why the white model cheaper.

As for Joule vs other brands, there is minimal difference in performance. The Joule's advantages are it's compact size for storage and ease of cleaning. It also a wifi-enabled model, so you can do the trick where you stick the food and circulator in a water bath filled with ice, then turn it on like two hours before you get home. So you have food ready right when you get home. Disadvantages are that it has no display and has no way to be controlled without a smartphone.

I meant Joule and Anova, sorry. And My Anova has wifi as well. :) Sounds like not much of a real difference, overall, in performance.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

I went anova just to have the display and physical controls

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dacap posted:

I went anova just to have the display and physical controls

Yeah I'm ok with IoT stuff, but don't make it require an app just for basic function.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yup, it was worth the trade off on slightly longer heat up times. I typically use a kettle to heat up the water faster anyways

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
By the way, I didn't want to/hope to start a product war... I mostly meant performance differences, to which it sounds like they are both similar and fantastic.

:)

[Not that it's gotten uncivil or anything, just wanted to make sure I wasn't trying to start folks on choosing sides.]

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
SEGA RULES NINTENDO DROOLS

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Your dinner has been encrypted! Pay 40 bitcoins to unlock your SOUZ_VIDS machine and heat your food to a safe temperature

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
So this is a thing. Can qualified goons confirm if this is legit?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

SweetBro posted:

This has come up in several threads and there are reviews online already claiming the material specs on these are wrong. The hardness was way below the listed value.

rockcity fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 4, 2017

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

SweetBro posted:

These have come up before, they are a scam. They are actually fairly average chinese made production knives with a lot of fraudulent marketing BS.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Figures, thanks ya'll.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Any recommendations for deep fryers?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

TheMadMilkman posted:

Any recommendations for deep fryers?

I have the R&V Works 4 gallon and absolutely love it. It uses standard fry baskets, can run on NG or LP, and has a tube type heating system. I can get several months out of my oil as long as I'm mindful not to overheat it and filter it every few frys. They make bigger and smaller ones depending on what you are looking for, but I haven't found a single other tube fryer in its price range or even one that would be practical for a residential setting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Catching up on this thread forced, FORCED me to pull the trigger on finally buying a Zojirushi, my first rice cooker.
...and a bag of Tamaki Gold (thank you for the suggestions of rice)
...and I had to stop myself from getting one of the Anovas.

I hope that model zoji ok, they have like, 2 or 3 of them that appeared nearly identical, that one seemed to fit the most of my needs at the best price.