Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

End the blackout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juicy Juice
Nov 12, 2011

Where we're going, we don't need roads...

FuzzySkinner posted:

Adrian Fernandez come back in this bitch.

https://twitter.com/DaveFurst/status/869583205262864386

also.

Yeah. Kentucky and Portland need to be targeted for races guys.

Put a street race in Naples, where randomly old tourists find themselves driving the wrong way down the middle of the track.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Lotta indiana retirees in fort myers naples.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Yeah, but retirees are very much anti-race cars in my city.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

RLL to enter Oriol at Detroit as well.

https://twitter.com/RLLracing/status/869601113452023808

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

FuzzySkinner posted:

also.

If only there was somewhere in Milwaukee or Portland where cars can race. Still.. China, eh?

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota

KingShibby posted:

RA is my next race of the season, you'll have a great time over 2 days there.
$90 for a bus ticket and GA for raceday is a pretty good deal, although only 1 day isn't nearly enough time to see the entire track

I can't do my usual camp-all-weekend thing this year, but I'm a little tempted to just get a Sunday ticket. Have you heard if the ticket sales are through the roof again this year?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Lord Crapulus posted:

I can't do my usual camp-all-weekend thing this year, but I'm a little tempted to just get a Sunday ticket. Have you heard if the ticket sales are through the roof again this year?

Haven't heard any news, but I'm willing to bet they'll be about the same or more than last year. This is RA's premier race of the season with the entire ladder + PWC over 4 days from Thu-Sun

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 19:02 on May 30, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

dsriggs posted:

If only there was somewhere in Milwaukee or Portland where cars can race. Still.. China, eh?

they would run both in a heartbeat if a promoter could pay. its not an either/or thing.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

KingShibby posted:

Haven't heard any news, but I'm willing to be they'll be about the same or more than last year. This is RA's premier race of the season with the entire ladder + PWC over 4 days from Thu-Sun

I liked all the ladder races last year (well, maybe not PM since lol 10 car field), but PWC did nothing for me. I think I couldn't keep their eighty classes straight, so I just had no idea what I was watching. I think ALMS/TUSCC spoiled me.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

FuzzySkinner posted:

also.

That's nuts that Albuquerque was on there.

Then again, everyone I knew was watching the race, so maybe it's not so crazy.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Lord Crapulus posted:

I liked all the ladder races last year (well, maybe not PM since lol 10 car field), but PWC did nothing for me. I think I couldn't keep their eighty classes straight, so I just had no idea what I was watching. I think ALMS/TUSCC spoiled me.

Well PM was up to 14 at IMS a couple weeks ago, so that one should be better. But yeah I'm not big on PWC either, I'd rather watch IMSA

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I view PWC as sort of the class below IMSA. They're not bad, but you're also not getting the big boy GTLM and GT3 cars you get with IMSA.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

Yeah but IMSA already has CTSCC as its minor league. And GTLM is awesome just by itself. The IMSA weekend at RA is overall better I think (plus you can bike the track!), but I feel like I should be supporting Indycar, dammit. Next year I want to try make Phoenix and Iowa, hopefully the new short oval package isn't a dud.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

FartingBedpost posted:

That's nuts that Albuquerque was on there.

Then again, everyone I knew was watching the race, so maybe it's not so crazy.

The Unsers grew up and live in Albuquerque.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Hell Little Al knows all the Albuquerque cops

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan
Not sure if it's been posted, but this really puts IMS into perspective

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=19464029

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

I view PWC as sort of the class below IMSA. They're not bad, but you're also not getting the big boy GTLM and GT3 cars you get with IMSA.

The only fun way to watch PWC is to make it a drinking game. Every time there's a wreck, if the driver is/was a CEO then take a shot. You won't even remember your watching a race after 30 minutes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I like the PWC challenge race at Long Beach a lot. Its a 'lower' level series, but still has good teams/drivers, and great cars now with the GT3 regs in the top classes. I cant say i watch too many of the other races (i used to watch it a good deal more when it was on Speedvision RIP), but its fun for what it is. Not everything needs to be ultra cut throat best of the best trillion dollar budgets to be fun.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

Not everything needs to be ultra cut throat best of the best trillion dollar budgets to be fun.

Banger racing and short track gimmicks are fun as poo poo.

Also: Not everything that is ultra cut throat best of the best trillion dollar budgets is fun.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Hell Little Al knows all the Albuquerque cops
:eyepop:

Also, as is tradition, a curated image dump of the best Indy 500 drunk fans:
http://blackflag.jalopnik.com/drunk-indianapolis-500-fans-are-the-gift-that-keeps-on-1795668155

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Alonso's banquet speech:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s69XiUdzbWg

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

iospace posted:

it's mentioned but the top cars in PWC are GT3 spec, but besides "PWC X" longer races, most are the sprint 40/45-minute length, which is a different beast from the diversity in race lengths in IMSA.

and yeah Portland still has a track, it needs some work, but before they pull a race together they need somebody there interested in and with the cash to get a race going.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/05/05-30-Voices-Olson

quote:

INDIANAPOLIS – Once upon a time, when reaction in Indianapolis Motor Speedway’s media center to what was happening on track became overly exuberant, the legendary Bill York would take to the microphone to remind us we were in a working press room.

In other words, be professional. Keep it down. And don’t break the cardinal rule of sportswriting and cheer in the press box.

Some of us still grumble when the Indianapolis 500 ends with applause from those who are supposed to be objective observers. But when it happened Sunday as Takuma Sato crossed the finish line in front of Helio Castroneves, some of us old grumblers smiled.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I don't think Taku's "AAAAAAAHHHHHH AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH" will ever get old. That's instantly right up there with "You don't know what Indy means".

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

If this was 1993?

Sato san would be getting his own Sega Genesis game right now.

Can I ask a stupid question? Would there be a way to prevent cars from flipping in the air or is this just (sadly) par for the course in racing? Just curious because this seems to be the criticism from a lot of people re: IRL/VICS-era IndyCar.

fuseshock
Aug 7, 2010
Watched those last couple laps on YouTube recap and ESPN coverage was Joe Buck levels bad circlejerking around Castroneves.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

FuzzySkinner posted:

Can I ask a stupid question? Would there be a way to prevent cars from flipping in the air or is this just (sadly) par for the course in racing? Just curious because this seems to be the criticism from a lot of people re: IRL/VICS-era IndyCar.

You can lower the chances, but you'll never prevent it. Downforce assumes a car will be pointed in one direction at all times. Once the car spins or gets airborne after a collision, the same wings that are designed to keep a car on the ground will keep a car in the air. Even with no downforce, a car moving at speed will act as its own wing once enough air gets under it.

Things like roof flaps/arrestor flaps have been great advances in safety, but when a car moving at 200 mph hits a slow or stationary car, no amount of engineering will overcome physics.

tl;dr - The answer is magnetic adhesion.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Cars have flaps on that come up to effectively act as emergency downforce/airbrakes if a car's in a situation (ie, moving backwards fast) where it could take off, you see those more in Nascar than Indy though. In terms of loving ramping off another car like Dixon did there's not much you can do about that.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

njsykora posted:

Cars have flaps on that come up to effectively act as emergency downforce/airbrakes if a car's in a situation (ie, moving backwards fast) where it could take off, you see those more in Nascar than Indy though. In terms of loving ramping off another car like Dixon did there's not much you can do about that.

Yeah I'm just kinda confused by the criticsm. I seem to recall the same thing happening in CART and I've even seen it happen in F1, IMSA and WEC.

Also Esteban could be in the Coyne ride. This is cool and good. Adrian Fernandez is his an Perez's manager fww.

https://twitter.com/indy44/status/869713165075963905

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Yeah, just the physical momentum alone in the Dixon crash launched him way high in the air. Then the aero just sorta tumbles him to the ground. You can see the flaps deploy as the car is tumbling, but thats not gonna do much when you are already flying in the air with a shitload of momentum.

Honestly I'm pretty happy the car didn't do much of its scary drifting fly-away routine like Helio had 10 or so years ago (that I cant find). The holes in the floor and flaps on the tray sort of awkwardly tumbled the car down, but thats better than literally flying up and away like Renna/the 2015 cars etc.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
You can't find it because it was Dario

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9u80Y9A5P4E

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Unless you meant this incredibly stupid looking Sam Hornish crash.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9Ha5fWCHfw

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
you're both wrong, it was Dario, but it was at Michigan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du2A7jnqWz0

as usual, I have an encyclopedic knowledge of auto racing crashes

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I was actually thinking of the Hornish one but gently caress sake I didn't remember Dario dealing with that poo poo twice, too. Plus the Conway crash, and all the others flipping in the air. Good loving riddance to that car.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Yeah the IR-05 was a poo poo car.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
For me the most amazing thing was Bourdais's crash. The fact is he hit the wall in the same place in almost the same way that Gordon Smiley did. Traveling faster too. Smiley's body was liquified and Bourdais will race again. If that isn't a testament to something.

They still need to do halos or canopies to protect drivers heads.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/HondaJP/status/869720323452788736

https://twitter.com/HondaJP

Honda Japan seems happy as hell about powering Sato-san to the win.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

God I expect to see Toyota execs spitting blood in anger if they can't get Le Mans this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

rear end struggle posted:

They still need to do halos or canopies to protect drivers heads.

At this point I'm amazed that no one is saying anything concrete about how better head protection will factor into the 2018 car design. This isn't something they should be waiting until the next-next gen Indycar chassis for.

• Locked thread