Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Still watching Hinako Note. It's okay as a SOL, and I appreciate that everyone gets to wear many different outfits. The core gimmick of "going scarecrow" is sufficiently infrequent to still work when they do use it. Really my main issues with the show are the voices (everyone is whispery/breathy in a really unnatural way), and that both OP and ED don't match the rest of the show in tone at all.

Also caught up on Sword Oratoria, I think I like it more than the main story. In fact, this ought to be the main story and not the side story, since it seems to actually cover the major threats in the world properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Paging Vostok, those seem like some decent catboys.

Lowain is real good

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010
Ah gently caress, I was interested in Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho but it looks like it's loli poo poo based on googling the LN and manga. I'm pissed because one GIS for the manga had a full spread page of Zero naked in it FFS.

Based on that I'm assuming that avoiding the anime like the plague is a good idea. Sucks because I thought the premise seemed decent enough.

CIRNO THE BEST
May 28, 2017

by zen death robot
poo poo wrong thread sorry

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Red Mundus posted:

Ah gently caress, I was interested in Zero kara Hajimeru Mahou no Sho but it looks like it's loli poo poo based on googling the LN and manga. I'm pissed because one GIS for the manga had a full spread page of Zero naked in it FFS.

Based on that I'm assuming that avoiding the anime like the plague is a good idea. Sucks because I thought the premise seemed decent enough.

google results are based on your browsing trends

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

more seriously, nobody itt threw a fit about it so it's probably fine. i mostly hear that it's boring and heavy on exposition.

Red Mundus
Oct 22, 2010

dogsicle posted:

more seriously, nobody itt threw a fit about it so it's probably fine. i mostly hear that it's boring and heavy on exposition.

Thanks, I'll probably skip it. I skimmed the thread and it looks like Granblue is pretty decent so I'll probably take a look at that instead.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

dogsicle posted:

Also, Zero is pretty clearly a petite twentysomething/late teen in the show. Or, at least, relatively close to Mercenary's age, whatever the hell that is.

What I saw of it wasn't great, and was kind of ugly, but was thoroughly inoffensive and quite pleasantly chill for sword-and-sorcery fantasy.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Yeah, it didn't seem very heavy on fanservice at all in the show.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Zero is about the same size as most adult women in the show (a little shorter, but much taller than kids). She's just often paired up next to the giant mercenary dude who's like, 8 feet tall or so, which can be deceiving. The series is about average in my opinion. I find it watchable.

Nalin fucked around with this message at 05:38 on May 29, 2017

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

There Bias Two posted:

The [2nd GabeDrop OVA] is probably the best episode in the whole show as far as I'm concerned. It should have been in the main series.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
the second OVA follows up on all of gabe's tender moments in the show; little stuff peppered throughout the show suggests even if gabe becomes a lazy otaku she'll still be a soft-hearted angel at her core, but it never leads to any substantial character moment for the series

well, this ep does that. it's a cathartic, fitting end to the series. go check it out if you finished the show (the subbed release by Mori is good)

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Space Flower posted:

the second OVA follows up on all of gabe's tender moments in the show; little stuff peppered throughout the show suggests even if gabe becomes a lazy otaku she'll still be a soft-hearted angel at her core, but it never leads to any substantial character moment for the series

well, this ep does that. it's a cathartic, fitting end to the series. go check it out if you finished the show (the subbed release by Mori is good)

It kind of suggests that maybe the girl forgetting about her was part of the consequences of her actions.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Space Flower posted:

Yeah, I liked it quite a bit. Normally I'd be a bit confused at such a decisive ending to the series being relegated to an OVA, but this was enough of a tone shift that it makes sense.

cosmo321
Jan 6, 2011
The last episode of Tsuki ga Kirei was good. I feel the show really gets how awkward it is to be a slightly introverted teenager. I'm glad Kotarou finally stepped up. I'm glad their relationship is out in the open now. And I felt a little bit of sympathy for Chinatsu when she actually realized that she'd never get Kotarou. :unsmith:

Roman is the real MVP.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

the record of lodoss war guy has a new anime next year

directed by Shinichi Omata (rakugo)

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
okay thats super interesting

omata isn't what i think of as an action director, and he's not working with the deen producers and in house animators, so this is a bit of a change. on the other hand, id like to see the kind of character moments he'd pull off

maybe this will have more of a grimgar feel

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
What I really want from Gab Dropout is One of the demons, perhaps inadvertently, managing to pull off some major feat as a demon, and Gab and Raphi needing to do their best to clean it up.

Maybe it'll come in a later OVA, or maybe in some manner of fan work, I don't know.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

o dear

https://twitter.com/doubyadee/status/868922218008506368?s=09

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was trying to find a PS1 cutscene for an amusing comparison but I can't find one that's actually that bad.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
new clip from episode 10 of berserk 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeRMIYLqHMc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Grats the Colonel for finding one that bad

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The Colonel posted:

new clip from episode 10 of berserk 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeRMIYLqHMc

I changed my mind, Kyoani has fallen off.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbf the developers of beyond the beyond tried to hide the opening from everyone who played beyond the beyond

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

This is legitimately as bad as Limbo of the Lost.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't Berserk really popular? Couldn't they have afforded good animation?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Late-night anime mostly gets the same (low) budget. Animation quality has a lot more to do with staff talent and time management, and by all accounts the Berserk staff are either complete rookies with CG or complete rookies, period.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it is popular enough that they keep trying but not popular enough to get the ridiculous animation budget necessary to do the manga justice. i wish there were more projects like hellsing ultimate.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Guy Goodbody posted:

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it is popular enough that they keep trying but not popular enough to get the ridiculous animation budget necessary to do the manga justice. i wish there were more projects like hellsing ultimate.
neither of these is how animation works

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Berserk likely has a comparable budget to One Punch Man, so it's not the money, it's what you do with it.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the director of berserk is a really talented 2d guy who has never worked with cg before working on berserk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

the director of berserk is a really talented 2d guy who has never worked with cg before working on berserk
and also he's a talented comedy director

it's why all the quick cuts and stuff are so unintentionally comedic

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Guy Goodbody posted:

Making good anime is hard, apparently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AHo-_XEV6E

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

poo poo and here i thought i could make a great anime with just 30 minutes of work and a couple of crayons

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Davincie posted:

poo poo and here i thought i could make a great anime with just 30 minutes of work and a couple of crayons

*vomits five thousand meme posts about teekyu*

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Endorph posted:

neither of these is how animation works

I thought the point of doing shows in CGi was because it was cheaper that traditional animation

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

happy 38th birthday to rie kugimiya

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I thought the point of doing shows in CGi was because it was cheaper that traditional animation

the upside to cg is it can allow for easier animation because you're just moving a consistent and already-made rig. i don't think there's any significant boon in terms of production cost.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

dogsicle posted:

the upside to cg is it can allow for easier animation because you're just moving a consistent and already-made rig. i don't think there's any significant boon in terms of production cost.

It's much cheaper if you can reuse those assets a lot. It's why in Kado the main characters are 3D CG, but many side characters are 2D since it's cheaper to draw a few frames of them than make and rig a whole new model. I might be talking out of my arse if their CG looks as good as 2D though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

CG in general is uglier than 2-D animation; it's in an awkward artistic phase (sort of like 2000s western CG) where it hasn't quite perfected looking realistic enough yet. Heck, the west is only starting to get it right (like in The Jungle Book 2016)

Except if you've outsourced your animation team to China and everything you make ever looks like poo poo (Why I cannot watch One Piece or things made by Toei).

• Locked thread