Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm glad good baseball man Buster Posey is beating back against the tide of Cubs Mediocrity.

This seems surprisingly reasonable compared to the Royals BS year? Wasn't Omar Infante threatening to be an all star at some point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

YeahTubaMike posted:

I am personally offended at the lack of Michael Conforto on this list. :mad:

edit: and also the lack of Christian Yelich

Conforto isn't on the ballot

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

IcePhoenix posted:

Conforto isn't on the ballot

I wrote him in, and Mets Twitter has (maybe?) also been writing him in.

edit: to clarify, I'm not saying that I expected him to get in with write-ins, I'm just saying that I'm mad

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm glad good baseball man Buster Posey is beating back against the tide of Cubs Mediocrity.

I'm legit curious if any Astros are going to be a starter on the AL one tomorrow. Correa got off to such a slow start, Altuve took a step back, Springer isn't playing all that well, but having a good record is usually a nice little boost

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Intruder posted:

Your post was literally "There were a lot of tweets saying he had it coming so there must be something to him being a shithead"

Nevermind that you can find tweets defending literally anything (I'd bet there are more tweets saying Hitler did nothing wrong that are entirely sincere than there are tweets defending Papelbon) and nevermind that there are tons of players who think it's legitimately correct to assault someone for "not playing the game the right way"

Also lol at the "mr former mod" thing if that lol isn't too offensive for you

No, my post was literally 'There were a lot of tweets saying he had it coming, and a lot of it was from players and not just analysts like SAS likes to claim' but sure keep on swinging at that strawman

misunderstanding someone isn't a big deal but being a smug douche while doing so is kinda off-putting

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Cubs fans should be embarrassed to even compare this effort to Royals ASG ballot stuffing

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bewbies posted:

Cubs fans should be embarrassed to even compare this effort to Royals ASG ballot stuffing

this is legitimately a disappointing effort

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Bryce Harper is awesome and fun, Hunter Strickland is a dumbass, and idiots on social media, etc, need to stop posting stupid poo poo like this about Buster cause it makes me mad:

https://twitter.com/BarstoolNate/status/869328301764079616

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Just noticed Jason Heyward is a starter as of this moment

And Stanton sitting at 8th :pwn:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Buster Posey is a god damned saint and a hero, and I haven't forgotten that time he pushed that rear end in a top hat who came onto the field that one time.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

NiceGuy posted:

No, my post was literally 'There were a lot of tweets saying he had it coming, and a lot of it was from players and not just analysts like SAS likes to claim' but sure keep on swinging at that strawman

Oh, sorry, I'll change "dumb ESPN assholes" to "dumb ESPN and Twitter assholes", that better for you? (since I can't find any player who went on record as saying Bryce deserved it)

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Pussy Boss posted:

Bryce Harper is awesome and fun, Hunter Strickland is a dumbass, and idiots on social media, etc, need to stop posting stupid poo poo like this about Buster cause it makes me mad:

https://twitter.com/BarstoolNate/status/869328301764079616

Barstool Sports though

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
So you think the Nats will kill Buster today or in the final game?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Lmao at how insecure you must be to watch a professional athlete show too much emotion and think "Ergh that guy's acting too Alpha Male for me, I wish he'd tone it down".

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

Lmao at how insecure you must be to watch a professional athlete show too much emotion and think "Ergh that guy's acting too Alpha Male for me, I wish he'd tone it down".

There are literally always criticisms that people can and will make depending on whether or not they like the player. He's too alpha male. He's too passive. He needs to act like a professional. Ugh, he wants to be paid his worth for playing a GAME?! Look how easily he's separated from the scrum, what a wuss. Ah, what a thug trying to fight. etc etc

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

New Concept Hole posted:

I dont think they'll go after Posey. He didn't want anything to do with it. I really hope that both teams come to the realization that this was 100% Hunter Strickland being a gigantic baby and leave it at that.

Also I think the Harper hate has a lot to do with just how young he is. He's 24 and is already a veteran in the majors. We've literally watched this guy grow up, from a teenager to now. He's still got some growing up to do. He's cocky, he's confident, he's got some wild hair. Who cares? He's loving 24 and one of the best players on the planet (also just got married and received a massive pay raise) so yeah if I was Harper I'd feel pretty loving confident in whatever it is he I'm doing as well.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Inspector_666 posted:

EDIT: But actually people say the same poo poo about Harper, Papi, and Bautista yet everybody seems to accept it at face value about Bryce.

The saying I used to hear about Bonds was "you can be good, you can be arrogant, you can be black, but you can't be more than two at the same time." As in, Bonds being that good and an rear end in a top hat about it would have been acceptable if he was white, but because he's black he upsets white fans on some subconscious level that makes them say, "wow, what a DICK."

This may also explain why some fools could simultaneously hold the opinion that Harper was awesome and Puig was a dick.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Santheb posted:

I dont think they'll go after Posey. He didn't want anything to do with it. I really hope that both teams come to the realization that this was 100% Hunter Strickland being a gigantic baby and leave it at that.

The Giants should offer Strickland up as a sacrifice by putting him in to pinch hit

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

New Concept Hole posted:

If they kill anyone, it's probably Crawford. I'd like to think that Dusty can tell that this was dumb poo poo between two guys that wasn't condoned by the other team, but when he managed the Reds he had a guy throw around Buster's legs for an honest accidental HBP.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Intruder posted:

The Giants should offer Strickland up as a sacrifice by putting him in to pinch hit

This would be magical.

"Here you go guys. We don't care much for him either."

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Santheb posted:

This would be magical.

"Here you go guys. We don't care much for him either."

It'd never happen, but it'd be a good way to get a free base runner and also get the pitcher ejected.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

He's really super tryhard about being super-hyper-masculine that it sometimes borders on ridiculous, and it always amuses me. From the wild-rear end eyeblack, to the periodic outbursts on the field, to the time he broke a bat bashing it against a wall in a tunnel and a piece came back and hit his eye, to the ESPN body issue, to the time he was instigating arguments with a previous manager... Most of this stuff is small, some of it is not-so-small, and certainly not all of it is objectively bad, but all of it cumulatively is LOL.

Sometimes he's praised for saying something like "let guys flip bats", but it's a moment when a broken clock is right twice a day because really is just continuing his effort to be the world's biggest alpha male. Sure you can argue he's super competitive, but it's also kind of arrogant, and very jackassy. Guys who try to project that hard about their alpha status always rub me the wrong way; whether they're athletes or businessmen or artists or whatever.

Granted, he's been feted by media people into thinking he's the greatest athlete into gods green earth, and bounced out of school and young adult life early so he could be in MLB as young as he possibly can, so it's kind of not surprising he is like he is, but let's call a dingus a dingus.

He's not the worst thing about baseball, though. That's AJ Pierzynski.

You're a dingus.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Intruder posted:

There are literally always criticisms that people can and will make depending on whether or not they like the player. He's too alpha male. He's too passive. He needs to act like a professional. Ugh, he wants to be paid his worth for playing a GAME?! Look how easily he's separated from the scrum, what a wuss. Ah, what a thug trying to fight. etc etc

Maybe my favorite example of this is when Arian Foster decided to go vegetarian for a while.

Santheb
Jul 13, 2005

Good Dog posted:

It'd never happen, but it'd be a good way to get a free base runner and also get the pitcher ejected.

Makes me wish we still had Danny Espinosa and his bazooka arm.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Craptacular! posted:

If they kill anyone, it's probably Crawford. I'd like to think that Dusty can tell that this was dumb poo poo between two guys that wasn't condoned by the other team, but when he managed the Reds he had a guy throw around Buster's legs for an honest accidental HBP.

Dusty already gave his "We don't start trouble, but we certainly don't take trouble lying down" tough guy talk yesterday after the game. Hopefully if the Nats feel they have to bean somebody, it won't be the guy who's fresh off the concussion DL and spent the bulk of the brawl standing off to the side looking on disapprovingly.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
to interrupt this fun chat, john gibbons ate at my girlfriends restauraunt with his family last week and I can confirm a couple of pertinent details

1. good tipper
2. is 'an aunt jemima kinda guy'

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

In the month of May, the Cubs have hit .141 with RISP and less than 2 outs. :stonklol:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Sydin posted:

Dusty already gave his "We don't start trouble, but we certainly don't take trouble lying down" tough guy talk yesterday after the game. Hopefully if the Nats feel they have to bean somebody, it won't be the guy who's fresh off the concussion DL and spent the bulk of the brawl standing off to the side looking on disapprovingly.

That's too nuanced to be unwritten

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If Posey gets hit there will be a large contingent of fans and players who look on and nod approvingly. They'll probably even demand his teammates turn their backs on him afterward because of how he stayed out of the brawl

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

In the month of May, the Cubs have hit .141 with RISP and less than 2 outs. :stonklol:

Wasn't Heyward's RBI double yesterday the first non-homer run they'd scored in like a week and a half?

Timby fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 30, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Timby posted:

Wasn't Heyward's RBI double yesterday the first non-homer run they'd scored in like a week and a half>

Yeah they mentioned that on yesterday's broadcast. The Cubs lead the NL in walks, but despite this, they're still 10th in the NL in OPS. They're just flat-out not hitting and they're even worse with RISP.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Was yesterday the first AB between Strickland and Harper since the offending playoff game?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Was yesterday the first AB between Strickland and Harper since the offending playoff game?

It was. Talk about long-marinated beef.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah they mentioned that on yesterday's broadcast. The Cubs lead the NL in walks, but despite this, they're still 10th in the NL in OPS. They're just flat-out not hitting and they're even worse with RISP.

Quick, get Bill Mueller on the phone and beg him to come back.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Timby posted:

Wasn't Heyward's RBI double yesterday the first non-homer run they'd scored in like a week and a half>

Yep, and then the Cubs immediately stranded a lead-off triple in the very next inning as if to drive the point home that Heyward's hit was an anomaly, not a turn around.

New Concept Hole posted:

That's too nuanced to be unwritten

You're right of course, if anything Posey probably upgraded his standard butt tap beaning to a head beaning for being a bad teammate who didn't back up his pitcher.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
This isn't even the first time I've heard of someone holding a grudge for years over something like this-- I've heard broadcasters talk about players holding a grudge for years over something that happened in spring training.

I guess to make it in the big leagues you have to have an obsession to keep you going from one game to the next.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i can't remember. did harper even embellish/showboat his hrs?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Abel Wingnut posted:

You don't understand, he wears too much eye black and hit something with a bat once. You can't do that kind of thing, it's just patently unacceptable.

And as if that wasn't bad enough, he posed for Sports Illustrated!

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Abel Wingnut posted:

a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USC-pqLqsgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5DQvctE4m0

The second one was close to fair/foul though so it's hard to blame him for watching

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Abel Wingnut posted:

If by embellish and showboat you mean "watched it to make sure it was a fair ball before going into his trot" or "celebrated in the dugout with his teammates without motioning to the mound a big playoff homerun" then yes he embellished and showboated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

a bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USC-pqLqsgw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5DQvctE4m0

The second one was close to fair/foul though so it's hard to blame him for watching

Oh man those were both so middle-middle, that's amazing.

• Locked thread