Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

funkybottoms posted:

more RVA alcohol chat: had the Black Heath mead that used honey aged by Veil and it reminds me of something from Superstition. i think the nerds are gonna go ham over this one and it wouldn't surprise me if they started putting out some more super-sweet stuff.

Just opened my bottle of this. For those of you who aren't me and funkybottoms, it's a 14% mead made with honey that was aged in a Buffalo Trace barrel for four months, along with a shitload of vanilla beans. Release was very limited and on the same day as a Veil can release, so hella beer nerds scooped it up.

I admittedly have little experience with mead. I intended to share the 375mL bottle with my girlfriend, who took one sip and immediately said it was too sweet for her, so I know what I must do. This poo poo is very, very rich. It's basically a vanilla Sauternes. It tastes like if you cooked down a cream soda into a syrup, then mixed that with eau de vie until you reached the desired proof. I am honest to God getting a sugar rush right now. It'll be a struggle to finish it off. I wish I was drinking beer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

poop dood posted:

Just opened my bottle of this. For those of you who aren't me and funkybottoms, it's a 14% mead made with honey that was aged in a Buffalo Trace barrel for four months, along with a shitload of vanilla beans. Release was very limited and on the same day as a Veil can release, so hella beer nerds scooped it up.

I admittedly have little experience with mead. I intended to share the 375mL bottle with my girlfriend, who took one sip and immediately said it was too sweet for her, so I know what I must do. This poo poo is very, very rich. It's basically a vanilla Sauternes. It tastes like if you cooked down a cream soda into a syrup, then mixed that with eau de vie until you reached the desired proof. I am honest to God getting a sugar rush right now. It'll be a struggle to finish it off. I wish I was drinking beer.

that sounds... disgusting

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
It is a challenge and a burden and I wish I hadn't been suckered into the hype. I will never buy mead again.

I've since added some ice cubes and it's helping, but not enough to make the experience bearable.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
you know you can cork it right

also what are you doing with your other bottles

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I just got one bottle from Shields Market. If I had corked this I would never come back to it and it would languish eternally. I just finally finished the bottle. Took me over half an hour.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Kudosx posted:

In beer news, I won tickets to FoFA for the first time. Super excited to be going, but planning everything to include a DD to a festival in the middle of nowhere is a bit weird. I wish Uber was everywhere.

I am also going to FoFA. Probably heading up Wednesday and staying in Waterbury. There is a guy who organizes a bus on TalkBeer that we are trying to get on but my buddy hasn't said anything so I'm worried we will have to put together or own transportation. Getting there won't be the problem it's getting home I'm worried about since HF is in the middle of nowhere.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

poop dood posted:

Took me over half an hour.

That seems kind of fast? That's like saying "God, it took me 45 minutes to drink this entire bottle of port!"

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
it's only a 375ml bottle, so a half hour when you're trying really hard to get it over with ain't too bad

had an unexpected bottle share yesterday. 2012 BA Everett is still drinking surprisingly well, 2011 LP Kriek is drinking not-surprisingly well, and the AleSmith Boxcar anniversary Speedway was pretty good, but their was just enough vegetal flavor to keep it from being very good+. i also realized that if i have to spend the summer drinking pils and Berliner with watermelon mojito syrup i will be fairly content.

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
It took me twoish hours to drink a bottle of straight jacket by myself and I thought that was a heroic effort. Slamming a 375ml of mead in 30 minutes is loving disgusting.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I wish more meads were actually melomels or hydromels or whatever the name is for the thinner, more drinkable ones that aren't always made with just honey.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I had a tusker lager on my birthday and after endless stouts, porters, and ales, I think mild watery beers arent too bad actually

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Perhaps... the truth is in the middle.

Also poop dood and control volume going to try and ship the Tired Hands beer today, tomorrow at the latest. Sorry for the delay had a hectic weekend of friends visiting and dog injuries and what not.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I think you have me confused with someone else

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Control Volume posted:

I think you have me confused with someone else

I do indeed, it's actually Captain Duvel, my bad!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Lyon posted:

Perhaps... the truth is in the middle.

Also poop dood and control volume going to try and ship the Tired Hands beer today, tomorrow at the latest. Sorry for the delay had a hectic weekend of friends visiting and dog injuries and what not.

No worries dogg, your box will be headed your way tomorrow.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kudosx posted:

This is something I don't understand. I constantly have people calling my store asking what time we're open until. How did you get our phone number? Oh, google? Well, if you looked right next to where it has our number, it also states our hours every single day of the week.

There are plenty of times where the times listed in Google are incorrect, so if I'm going to make a long trek over I'm going to talk to someone who actually works at the place to tell me the hours and not just trust in the mysteries of the internet.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!

danbanana posted:

"God, it took me 45 minutes to drink this entire bottle of port!"

Have done this before & would not recommend

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Phanatic posted:

There are plenty of times where the times listed in Google are incorrect, so if I'm going to make a long trek over I'm going to talk to someone who actually works at the place to tell me the hours and not just trust in the mysteries of the internet.

This, and especially around any kind of holiday.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009

Lyon posted:

I do indeed, it's actually Captain Duvel, my bad!

Pm me cost and I'll PayPal you. Thanks!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Phanatic posted:

Breweries who maintain up to date information on their websites are not the norm. Otherwise, Jester King is one of the few who makes sure to list changed opening/closing times during holiday weekends... makes sense since going out there means a drive out of the city.

Colt Cannon
Aug 11, 2000

So heading to Houston this weekend for a wedding, and then driving to Iowa next weekend to check out Toppling Goliath brewery.

Anything I should grab while in either of these areas?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
I won a razzle for a bottle each of Buckley, Bark Lord and Kentuckley, yaaaay

Any midwest goons had this year's release yet? How does it stack up against previous releases? Untappd seems generally positive.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

poop dood posted:

How does it stack up against previous releases?

Untappd seems generally positive.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
why must i be owned like this

air-
Sep 24, 2007

quote:

I probably drink less than almost anybody here. That's defining "drink" as "starting and finishing a container of a beverage". I TASTE several thousand beverages a year because that's my job but I sip, swirl, and spit about 90% of 'em. I drink MAYBE two small glasses of wine, one cocktail, or A beer a night and I skip a few nights. I NEVER drink three beers in one day, except at Seahawks games and sometimes not even then. I took a vow about four years ago: I don't drink ANYTHING that's not an **outstanding** beverage. It doesn't have to be expensive but I never drink just to drink. I haven't consumed a domestic adjunct Pilsner - the BudMillerCoorsPabst-type stuff - in over thirty years and I think "session drinking" is an idiotic excuse to rationalize out the desire to drink five or six beers and not think you're being irresponsbile. Fortunately, I live smack in the middle of what I think of as the best beer and wine region on earth and I have no shortage of great things to enjoy.

Ah when beer nerds actually do a fun job trolling :allears:

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot

air- posted:

i read this in the fragmaster voice

air-
Sep 24, 2007

cryme posted:

i read this in the fragmaster voice

Since several people have asked, I write an adult beverage blog (beer, wine, spirits)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

air- posted:

Lol where's this from?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Lol where's this from?

Some dude who got mercilessly roasted on DDB's "barleywine is life" FB group decided to start his own "strong ale symposium" group and he just won't stop pumping out the most beer neckbeardy quotes

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

air- posted:

Some dude who got mercilessly roasted on DDB's "barleywine is life" FB group decided to start his own "strong ale symposium" group and he just won't stop pumping out the most beer neckbeardy quotes

ahahaha I thought that was a really well done fakepost somewhere, not some dude's actual post

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

Brews for New Avenues VIP tickets go on sale tomorrow. Any other goons going this year?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

If I get a ticket, yep!!

Compusaurus
May 29, 2003
OK, I WILL, IN A MINUTE...
I won tickets for the Great Taste via the lottery which I'm told is very difficult. August in Madison while drinking high abv beers outside sounds like a great idea.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Valerie Plame Sandals posted:

Brews for New Avenues VIP tickets go on sale tomorrow. Any other goons going this year?

Maybe!

Also, if you don't have plans this Saturday, you should come to Wolves & People for their anniversary party. They've been putting out really good beers as of late and should have some solid guest beers (Forest and Main, Plan Bee, Jester King, etc.) The glass they're including with entry is really nice too.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

air- posted:

If I get a ticket, yep!!

~My girlfriend~ is not interested in going, so I'll have an extra ticket if I am able to buy any.

dphi posted:

Maybe!

Also, if you don't have plans this Saturday, you should come to Wolves & People for their anniversary party. They've been putting out really good beers as of late and should have some solid guest beers (Forest and Main, Plan Bee, Jester King, etc.) The glass they're including with entry is really nice too.

Saturday is my birthday and I've got plans. It's too bad because I really like Wolves & People and would be able to do it if they weren't all the way down in Newberg.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

Saturday is my birthday and I've got plans. It's too bad because I really like Wolves & People and would be able to do it if they weren't all the way down in Newberg.

Ah, well have a good birthday. Newberg is a bit of a haul for you, but at least it's not Tillamook!

BlackHattingMachine
Mar 24, 2006
Choking, quick with the Heimlich!

Colt Cannon posted:

So heading to Houston this weekend for a wedding, and then driving to Iowa next weekend to check out Toppling Goliath brewery.

Anything I should grab while in either of these areas?

While TG is the better known brewery in Decorah, I'd definitely recommend spending more time at Pulpit Rock. It's only a few blocks down from TG and has better beer IMO. They don't package seriously as of yet so this would be the only way to try them. Their Mighty Fine Pale Ale is fantastic. Plus the atmosphere is much better, TG bartenders act like they're doing you a huuuuge favor by serving you.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
I seen this yesterday

Only registered members can see post attachments!

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

~My girlfriend~ is not interested in going, so I'll have an extra ticket if I am able to buy any.

Welp. Had a job interview. Got out at 12:10 and they were sold out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

air-
Sep 24, 2007

In for BFNA VIP but no oyster and gueuze social :homebrew: