Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

HAT FETISH posted:

final fantasy rankings

TACTICS
Tactics
Tactics A2

REAL GOOD
V
VI
XII

I REALLY LIKED THIS GAME BOY ONE
Legend III

DECENT
X
IV
IX

WHAT
VIII
XV
Tactics Advance
I, II, III
VIII
VII

NO
XIII

MMO
XIV
XI

THE REST
The rest

this is a pretty good list, but i would make a few corrections. all Gameboy FF should be near the top (i assume you only played III). also final fantasy 1 should be moved up to "real good". finally a new top category needs to be made for the best in the series, Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qkBT_6klKs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I didn't like MQ the first time I played it back in the early 00s but it grew on me when I tried it again years later. The first two Legend games never did it for me even after I revisited them.

Also I just noticed I put VIII on there twice, which I blame on being slightly drunk and also not knowing how I really feel about that game because it's a weird mess and I dig the art style and the setting and the wrinkles they added to the battle system but the characters and the plot are loathsome and eurghhghgh

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

food court bailiff posted:

opinions, about video games

it wasn't like some dense coded screed you dumb motherfucker

No need for name calling friendo. I understood what you were saying. But it's crazy

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

SciFiDownBeat posted:

No need for name calling friendo. I understood what you were saying. But it's crazy

i'm not your friend you cockgobbling garbage fire of hobo semen and broken dreams

and it wasn't crazy, but it seems unpopular with stupid people such as yourself, so i posted it here

you leprous sack of irredeemable filth

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
The only fantasies that are final that I've genuinely enjoyed were XII and XV. I normally hate the combat in JRPGs but found it fun in those two. Also, my first JRPG was Mystic Quest and I liked it at the time.

With that said, Jim Sterling has revamped his little show and everyone hates it. Former fans are pissed because he changed the theme song. Everyone else hates it even more because he now has a cane and a steampunk top hat. I'm loving it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANu0vnISD0E&t=910s

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Every level in Heroes of Might and Magic that makes you race against something undermines what makes the games fun in the first place.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

new phone who dis posted:

Every level in Heroes of Might and Magic that makes you race against something undermines what makes the games fun in the first place.

Seriously. This extends to the whole genre I'd say.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Dandywalken posted:

Seriously. This extends to the whole genre I'd say.

It's extremely rare to find a game that does time limits right. I think DIablo 3's Greater Rifts are the only modern example I can think of that I like.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Occasionally fun in single scenario but yes, a complete annoyance in campaign where you need to level up and collect items that might carry over.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Can't even say how many times I've gotten to the last part of a campaign and had to fight three enemies with three heroes each, all level 15 while I, respectively, have three heroes levels 10, 7 and 3. :doh:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Imagine the time limit from Star Control 2 implemented into a modern video game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lodin posted:

With that said, Jim Sterling has revamped his little show and everyone hates it. Former fans are pissed because he changed the theme song. Everyone else hates it even more because he now has a cane and a steampunk top hat. I'm loving it!

just checked, and they are right to be mad. its a much worse theme song! Jim Sterling is dead to me :(

lol if you play anything but XL random maps with underworld turned on

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lodin posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANu0vnISD0E&t=910s

is his hat wearing a corset? :v:

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rutibex posted:

lol if you play anything but XL random maps with underworld turned on
I was with you til ranom map.

"Oh cool, the Armageddon Blade right at my front door, being guarded by lots of goblins!"

*stranded on an island with no shipyard/entrance to underworld and no magic to leave*

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

phasmid posted:

I was with you til ranom map.

"Oh cool, the Armageddon Blade right at my front door, being guarded by lots of goblins!"

*stranded on an island with no shipyard/entrance to underworld and no magic to leave*

these are features not bugs

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Rutibex posted:

these are features not bugs

I just don't find randos playable. I have to search the internet for user-made maps. Sometimes people get the right idea, but there's also a lot of tournament/blizz style swill. I was really happy when they released HD, but for some reason they chose not to include the expansions. Ah well, Conflux was a lovely castle anyway.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
The term "Metroidvania" is a insult to Super Metroid which is fantastic while Castlevania games are terrible and especially Symphony of the Night which tried to ripoff Metroid wholesale and managed to gently caress it up by adding lovely RPG and anime elements.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Sonic 2 is overrated

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Omg why are you all writing freakin novels to say a game is bad.

Are we airing our grievances here like men or composing D&D research papers,drat

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Irradiation posted:

The term "Metroidvania" is a insult to Super Metroid which is fantastic while Castlevania games are terrible and especially Symphony of the Night which tried to ripoff Metroid wholesale and managed to gently caress it up by adding lovely RPG and anime elements.

Symphony of the Night is better than Super Metroid :colbert:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

phasmid posted:

I just don't find randos playable. I have to search the internet for user-made maps. Sometimes people get the right idea, but there's also a lot of tournament/blizz style swill. I was really happy when they released HD, but for some reason they chose not to include the expansions. Ah well, Conflux was a lovely castle anyway.

HD remake is poo poo for many reasons, the primary one being the inability to play Wake of Gods mod
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXrVXJi0fnY

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

while we're on the subject: Zero Mission was better than Super Metroid

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Fusion was better than all of them

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
Prime 1 is the best metroid game.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

get that OUT of my face posted:

while we're on the subject: Zero Mission was better than Super Metroid
It really was, but I know it was because it could refine Super Metroid's precedent. Super Metroid is kind-of chunky and unwieldy to me.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Irradiation posted:

Symphony of the Night is probably the least anime of the "new generation" of Castlevania games. My interest in them waned during the GBA era, but I guess they eventually had Dracula's castle appearing in Japan for some dumb reason with a generic anime teenager self-insertion avatar as the protagonist.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Jim Sterling is the worst sterling

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
also Symphony of the Night is not a clone of Super Metriod. Super Metriod is a clone of Castlevania 2: Simons Quest :colbert:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The_Franz posted:

Symphony of the Night is probably the least anime of the "new generation" of Castlevania games. My interest in them waned during the GBA era, but I guess they eventually had Dracula's castle appearing in Japan for some dumb reason with a generic anime teenager self-insertion avatar as the protagonist.
For some people even a little anime is too much, unless it's Zelda which somehow gets a pass with most.

The irony is that Aria of Sorrow--one of the most anime ones with Dracula's castle in Japan and the super anime protag--has a rather bitching gameplay system where you collect abilities in random drops from enemies in 3 slots, and adjust your stats/weaponry accordingly. Symphony of the Night is still the best because of how bloated, broken, and unwieldy it is.

Unpopular opinion: Braid sucked. Any platformer with clone/rewind mechanics suck. Incidentally I've always loving hated P-Blocks in Mario.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Cave Story is the best Metroidvania game.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

mind the walrus posted:

For some people even a little anime is too much, unless it's Zelda which somehow gets a pass with most.

The irony is that Aria of Sorrow--one of the most anime ones with Dracula's castle in Japan and the super anime protag--has a rather bitching gameplay system where you collect abilities in random drops from enemies in 3 slots, and adjust your stats/weaponry accordingly. Symphony of the Night is still the best because of how bloated, broken, and unwieldy it is.

Unpopular opinion: Braid sucked. Any platformer with clone/rewind mechanics suck. Incidentally I've always loving hated P-Blocks in Mario.

Braid loving sucked, that's unpopular ? I thought it was generally accepted

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
The following indie darlings either suck or are overrated:

Trine
Bastion
Dust

Blood and Bacon is worth every one of the 99 cents they ask for it. It'd be a bargain at twice the price.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Dust yeah, Trine and Bastion are legit and you just have poo poo taste HTH

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Darkest Dungeon almost pulls off the perfect game but leans too heavily on RNG. Most punishing roguelikes are just nerds playing the slap game with their own dicks.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Mortal Kombat/Injustice-style fighting games are clunky chunky garbage and I hate that NetheRealm is so good at giving them spectacle. I've hated every second of Injustice I've played, but I watched the whole of the cutscenes on YT because it's sadly the best DC story told in the last 7 years.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
People used to say things like, "Video games are for gays" but they were wrong, because a gay man would never be such a big piece of poo poo as to play video games as an adult

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Zelda breath of the wild is boring.

Maybe it gets better eventually but around hour 50 or so where I am now, it's just boring. Oh look a cool landmark to explore in the distance oh wonderful yet another shrine/korok seed how exciting this is only the thousandth one I've seen today.

A game that "gets good eventually" but takes 50+ hours to get there is not a good game.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Injustice 2 is the best fighting game ever made

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

3D is a huge scourge on modern video gaming. To get realistic, detailed 3D, you have to spend an insane amount of money like the AAA titles.

Few alternatives exist. Some have embraced a primitive, retro look, such as Minecraft. But that's getting old really fast. There's only so far you can push that envelope, and I don't think it works particularly well for immersive story-telling.

What most games have settled on is a half-assed ugly-butt 3D that doesn't stand up under scrutiny. The problem is most egregious on the DS/3DS, but even PC games suffer. 3D indie games are often so god drat ugly.

At least in 2D, you could get a clean, detailed style. You could get colorful, lively sprites and rich backgrounds. True, you're missing a whole dimension of immersion, but at least it wasn't so god drat ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm late to the party here but Planescape: Torment EE is the best rpg ever made.