Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Eat This Glob posted:

I should have read more carefully before driving 20 miles to get this picture. I got a picture of the wind power source, but not what it's powering so we'll call it a non-entry, I guess:

I didn't take one horizontal shot; instead I made sure I got the wind turbine in it. poo poo. Anyway, this wind turbine and solar array powers a couple of out buildings and a farmstead. It produces an excess of power that the landowner sells to an electric cooperative and the generation capacity has paid for the purchase and installation of the turbine and solar panels after just 18 months. Good deal if you've got the capital to sink into them!

Nono, that's great - you got it - just what I had in mind. I was expecting it to take more than an hour though ;)

Post your challenge.

meltie fucked around with this message at 01:18 on May 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Eat This Glob posted:

I should have read more carefully before driving 20 miles to get this picture. I got a picture of the wind power source, but not what it's powering so we'll call it a non-entry, I guess:

I didn't take one horizontal shot; instead I made sure I got the wind turbine in it. poo poo. Anyway, this wind turbine and solar array powers a couple of out buildings and a farmstead. It produces an excess of power that the landowner sells to an electric cooperative and the generation capacity has paid for the purchase and installation of the turbine and solar panels after just 18 months. Good deal if you've got the capital to sink into them!

e: meltie says my post passes muster, so :siren::siren: NEW CHALLENGE! NEWS IS KIND OF lovely AND DEPRESSING RIGHT NOW, SO MY WIFE WOULD LIKE YOU TO TAKE A PICTURE OF YOUR VEHICLE IN FRONT OF SOMETHING THAT MAKE YOU SMILE. Just a thing that makes you smile, whatever you want. If it's a flock of ducks, cool! If a burned down orphanage makes you smile, that's on you, but it counts! Anything that makes you smile :siren: :siren:

Quote for a new page since the challenge was edited in! :siren: Take a picture of your vehicle in front of something that makes you smile! :siren:

Thanks meltie! It was an easy one for me since I have about 200 giant turbines about 5-10 miles away. I went a little smaller for the challenge though!

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Eat This Glob posted:

Thanks meltie! It was an easy one for me since I have about 200 giant turbines about 5-10 miles away. I went a little smaller for the challenge though!

Yeah, you're all good. I just wanted to preclude flags and fake windmills on waffle house roofs :)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Eat This Glob posted:

I think you went with the better option, since it would be quite difficult to get both a car and a full-size wind turbine in the same frame. (Depending on how far away from the road they are.)

rednocare
May 1, 2011

Not so stupid now.

Eat This Glob posted:

:siren: Take a picture of your vehicle in front of something that makes you smile! :siren:

The Sydney basin. My home for the last 10 years. I genuinely like living here and this view makes me smile every time I drive past.

I now challenge you to :siren: take a picture of your car reflected in the hubcap of a prime mover, in the daylight, in motion.:siren:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

rednocare posted:

The Sydney basin. My home for the last 10 years. I genuinely like living here and this view makes me smile every time I drive past.

I now challenge you to :siren: take a picture of your car reflected in the hubcap of a prime mover, in the daylight, in motion.:siren:

Yarramundi burnout pad :D

rednocare
May 1, 2011

Not so stupid now.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Yarramundi burnout pad :D

wouldn't that be down by the bridge... I'd call this the hawkesbury heights burnout pad :cop:

rednocare fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 25, 2017

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

rednocare posted:

gently caress that was hard, so many truckers have dirty hubcaps, or non reflective ones (E: or none, the cheapskates). I assume prime mover is ausie speak for semi truck, if not accepted I'll rescind my challenge.

:ducksiren: Get a picture of your car far above you, you must be at least 5 ft below your car, looking up at it. :ducksiren:

Bajaha fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 27, 2017

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Oh boy, my first quote != edit.

My bad.

rednocare
May 1, 2011

Not so stupid now.
Magnificent! I don't know why we call them prime movers, but we do.

This was the inspiration for the challenge that I took a number of years ago:

(Eunos 30X with the 2.5L V6 that was turbocharged for anyone wondering. Stupid car that one.)

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Bajaha posted:

:ducksiren: Get a picture of your car far above you, you must be at least 5 ft below your car, looking up at it. :ducksiren:

Here, have a picture of the drippy underside of a 51 year old dodge.

:havlat: Post a picture of the biggest fluid leak stain in your garage / driveway / whatever. :havlat:

E: with the perpetrator in view, like car shaming.

Slung Blade fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 28, 2017

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer
pfaugh

the culprit? this rusty 9MPG gettin tranny slippin fluid leakin Chrysler built POS

note the secondary stains

Anyway. :11tea:Post a pic of your vehicle with all its wheels suspended in the air through non-standard means. (i.e. no jacks, stands, ramps, lifts, etc.):11tea:

buttcrackmenace fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 28, 2017

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

buttcrackmenace posted:

Anyway. :11tea:Post a pic of your vehicle with all its wheels suspended in the air through non-standard means. (i.e. no jacks, stands, ramps, lifts, etc.):11tea:
Haven't we had this one?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

A bunch of variations on this theme, but there's no rule against repeats so far as I can remember.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Bajaha posted:

gently caress that was hard, so many truckers have dirty hubcaps, or non reflective ones (E: or none, the cheapskates). I assume prime mover is ausie speak for semi truck, if not accepted I'll rescind my challenge.

I honestly assumed "prime mover" was the term for those people who drive around doing deliveries for Amazon Prime, which seemed like an awfully specific task to achieve.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Yeah I thought he meant a train and I was imagining some modern goon western

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Adiabatic posted:

Yeah I thought he meant a train and I was imagining some modern goon western

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
So basically high centered or.... [IDEA!]

:siren: Show us your vehicle with something interesting more than 10 miles from home and work and the path between them :siren:
(I like that challenge)

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 29, 2017

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

In the afternoon of May 25th, 1979, American Airlines flight 191, a DC-10, began it's takeoff roll from Chicago O'Hare airport bound for l
Los Angeles. Seconds later, it's #1 engine ripped off of the wing. The crew initiated an emergency climb out, but inadvertantly stalled due to a loss of power. The plane crashed in this field here, killing all 271 people aboard and two on the ground.

In the spirit of this photo, drive at least 10 miles to the site of a tragedy.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
At least 10 miles from the white house.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

Safety Dance posted:

In the afternoon of May 25th, 1979, American Airlines flight 191, a DC-10, began it's takeoff roll from Chicago O'Hare airport bound for l
Los Angeles. Seconds later, it's #1 engine ripped off of the wing. The crew initiated an emergency climb out, but inadvertantly stalled due to a loss of power. The plane crashed in this field here, killing all 271 people aboard and two on the ground.

You were like two seconds from my shop and house. Assuming no traffic.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Safety Dance posted:

Argh, I wish I'd saved my trip to the site of the Battle of Coleto Creek for this one. It wasn't just a tragedy, it was a guddamn massacre :smith:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Anyone near bowling Green?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Slung Blade posted:

:lol:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Officially declaring it: the sinkhole at the Corvette Museum is a tragedy.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Safety Dance posted:

Officially declaring it: the sinkhole at the Corvette Museum is a tragedy.

You mean beyond what cars are featured there?

(I KID I KID)

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Slung Blade posted:

Don't tempt me :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The irony that you're too close to Coventry...

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

iospace posted:

You mean beyond what cars are featured there?

(I KID I KID)

:master:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Safety Dance posted:

See down the river, just before where the trees end and the river bends to the right?

This bridge used to be there:

But 106 years and 5 days ago, there was a little more to the scene:

bigger

The lynching of Laura and L.D. Nelson

:siren: Take a picture of your vehicle helping you do a good turn for somebody. Failing that, take a picture of your vehicle with something cute, beautiful, uplifting or funny. :siren:

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
That's coincidental. I was just about to head up the road to Goliad, Texas to snap a photo of our Pontiac under a landmark called "The Lynchin' Tree." It's a tree right there in the town square where (surprise) they used to...well, you know.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I hope the answer is "watch Twin Peaks episodes", but I know better.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

InitialDave posted:

The irony that you're too close to Coventry...

Much too close :v:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Safety Dance posted:

I hope the answer is "watch Twin Peaks episodes", but I know better.
:golfclap:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Should have checked this thread, I was over by Pulse earlier today. Though that might have been a bit dark for a fun game...

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Enourmo posted:

Should have checked this thread, I was over by Pulse earlier today. Though that might have been a bit dark for a fun game...

Thematically appropriate given the month...

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

joat mon posted:

:siren: Take a picture of your vehicle helping you do a good turn for somebody. Failing that, take a picture of your vehicle with something cute, beautiful, uplifting or funny. :siren:

Alright, so this requires some backstory.

Several years ago, my grandparents gave me their old truck, a 1990 ford f-150. As these things tend to go, I grew up around this truck during family camping vacations and just hanging out with grandpa and grandma when I was a kid / teen. As of five years ago, grandpa couldn't really reliably drive and they don't camp anymore, so they didn't have much use for the poor old thing. I couldn't bear to see them get rid of it, it was too nice (mostly) and I'm clearly too sentimental about cars, so I asked if I could have it. They seemed happy that I wanted it and were glad to help me out at the time, as I wasn't nearly as financially secure then as I am now.

That said, it wasn't perfect. This was a few years ago, the paint on the hood was classic 90s ford single stage and was peeling, cracking, flaking off, and causing the sheet metal to rust. I don't have many pictures of the hood before, I really should have grabbed some.

I kept meaning to fix it, or get it fixed, but I have so many other projects on the go it was always at the bottom of the pile. Partially because it's never really needed anything more than basic maintenance and just keeps going. Last year I spot some rust on the cab corner, and I figure I have to make a decision, do I let it rot slowly (as I keep it in the garage and never winter drive it) or do I get it fixed proper-like? Gramps isn't getting younger, and I'd like them to see the truck back the way it was when they bought it new nearly 30 years ago.

About a month ago I take it in for an estimate to a couple body/paint places and they're really looking for work, they give me a pretty decent deal, so I figure why not get it done now?

The rust is now gone, and the hood is back to the original paint colour, it's pretty well blended with the rest.

The front fascia was really covered in rock chips, they spot-painted all of them (sorry it's got a little road dirt on it here) so it's not perfect but it's way better than it was before.

This is the corner that was rusting out, they cut out the old and fabricated some new sheet metal and blended the paint quite well.

Stylin'

It's got a few dents here, and few dings there, but a power polish and some paint go a long way to cleaning up a nice old truck like this.

They even detailed the interior as part of the deal (note the hand crocheted seat blanket my grandma made for me).

I had dinner with my grandparents tonight, they seemed delighted to see it fixed up to nearly original condition :unsmith:

I couldn't let this truck fade away, it's got too much personality and way too many of my memories attached to it. It doesn't even have 160 thousand kilometers on the clock yet.

What say you, does this fit your criteria?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

^^^ This is cool and good.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

A cool truck and a cool story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I vote "yay"!

• Locked thread