Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

That sounds like a you problem, I've never had that happen to me in my entire life.

Could well be. This pair has a 90 deg connector and I usually keep my phone in the pant pockets, so it probably gets bent around a bit. I'd like to go wireless, but the fear of being bored somewhere in silence with a flat headset battery paralyzes me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ola posted:

Could well be. This pair has a 90 deg connector and I usually keep my phone in the pant pockets, so it probably gets bent around a bit. I'd like to go wireless, but the fear of being bored somewhere in silence with a flat headset battery paralyzes me.

Just get a charging cord that plugs into your phone? That has to be a thing. The stock cord that came with mine only goes to big mclargehuge USB but it must be possible, somehow!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

syscall girl posted:

Just get a charging cord that plugs into your phone? That has to be a thing. The stock cord that came with mine only goes to big mclargehuge USB but it must be possible, somehow!

Or something that works with a minijack as well. It's a thing in bigger headsets, not sure if any smaller ones have it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ola posted:

It's happened a lot to me too, friend.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

I get that people love ~premium~ materials, but seriously - give me a quality phone that use quality plastics instead of metal and I'd love to save some money. I'd still have a 5X if the internals weren't poo poo LG-tier. The Nexus 5, Moto X, iPhone 5C, and Moto G4 all felt perfectly fine in hand, and were a little less susceptible to breaking when dropped due to plastic having a bit more inherit shock absorption properties.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I take a lot of photospheres (probably about 20% of my photos would be them if they didn't turn into poo poo when there's stuff too close, or people moving around too much) so an attachment that could basically take one instantly and without some of the really awful stitching you get sometimes is really appealing to me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

syscall girl posted:

Also if you're out and about for enough time to be worried about depleting the average set of wireless headphones you're probably rolling with some kind of bag and presumably already carry a power brick for recharging your phone on the fly which (absent edge cases like a USB-C-only brick?) will happily charge your headset provided you've got a cable to fit. I have a couple power bricks acquired as gifts from work, they charge via a USB-micro port and discharge via a standard USB port. If I needed to I imagine I could just plug the headset into that using a regular ol charging cable from any of the past 5 phones i've gone through​.

On the other hand if you're just worried more about forgetting to plug the headset in to charge during your time at home, I guess that's a behavioral thing to work on.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So dumb. If the phone has a bottom bezel, put the front facing camera there. People can get used to the position, or (shock horror), turn their phones upside-down.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I suspect this is a stupid question, but here goes:

Is there any way to shoot landscape photos/videos while holding my phone upright (i.e. holding it in portrait orientation)? It's much more comfortable to use one-handed portrait, but often I'd prefer landscape photos or videos.

I can envision it looking like a YouTube video with the viewfinder limited to the top of the screen, and the bottom just settings or wasted space. Google searches just seem to return some no-name app from 2014 and people bitching about the prevalence of portrait videos.

I have a Pixel XL using the stock camera app.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CLAM DOWN posted:

That sounds like a you problem, I've never had that happen to me in my entire life.

I've never had a pair of headphones not eventually break at the connector, and these days, I rarely use headphones on the go. My last set that broke was a pair I used at work that just stayed plugged I to a stationary computer and the connector stopped working after 18 months.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Gaming related Android question. Is it possible to mirror the input from one Android device to another. What I'm trying to do is to roll a newbie account for FF:Exvius and I would like to have the game run on both devices in a master-slave setup, with the in-game input from the master device being mirrored on the other device.

Phone is a Samsung S8, tablet is a Samsung S3, both run Nougat, share the same wi-fi network and have bluetooth.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

incogneato posted:

often I'd prefer landscape photos or videos.

You'd better always prefer landscape videos you goddamn son of a bitch.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

incogneato posted:

Is there any way to shoot landscape photos/videos while holding my phone upright (i.e. holding it in portrait orientation)? It's much more comfortable to use one-handed portrait, but often I'd prefer landscape photos or videos.

I can envision it looking like a YouTube video with the viewfinder limited to the top of the screen, and the bottom just settings or wasted space. Google searches just seem to return some no-name app from 2014 and people bitching about the prevalence of portrait videos.

Try the no-name app and report back.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

nimper posted:

Try the no-name app and report back.

I would, but I like my double-click power to launch camera and HDR+ and super fast processing. I'm assuming those features are all unique to the stock camera app on the Pixel?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

incogneato posted:

You can use panorama mode to take multiple pics to stick together a landscape picture while holding the phone in portrait, but other than that nope.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

incogneato posted:

I would, but I like my double-click power to launch camera and HDR+ and super fast processing. I'm assuming those features are all unique to the stock camera app on the Pixel?

You can have more than one camera app installed.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I know I'm an edgecase but I don't think I've ever actually missed the headphone jack on my iPhone 7 :shrug:

The headphone jack is going to go the way of the removable battery and SD card slot.

Agreed.

There is a lot of things that drive me nuts on the iPhone but the lack of headphone jack isn't one (I haven't even taken the little dongle out of the box either)

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

incogneato posted:

As soon as you install another camera app, you'll get the option to use that instead when you double click the power button. The other stuff is dependent on the app.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

dissss posted:

Agreed.

There is a lot of things that drive me nuts on the iPhone but the lack of headphone jack isn't one (I haven't even taken the little dongle out of the box either)

I used to think that the lack of a headphone jack was an automatic no-buy for me, but I think I've only used the one on my current phone once, and that was just to test a friends headphones. Not having to deal with a cable between phone and ears is really quite nice.

Right now I just use These, and with some equalization they sound almost as good as my old wired Sony XB's. I'm also quite fond of the "neckbud" style. (Review Here)

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Wireless headphones are nice, but I haven't seen a pair of Bluetooth headphones that can last 10 hours without charging (2 30 minute commutes, 8 hour day, 1 hour lunch).

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Wireless headphones are nice, but I haven't seen a pair of Bluetooth headphones that can last 10 hours without charging (2 30 minute commutes, 8 hour day, 1 hour lunch).

I think it depends on your levels. But some of the big fatties must be able to do more than 10 hours.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

syscall girl posted:

I think it depends on your levels. But some of the big fatties must be able to do more than 10 hours.

True, I know my Bose Quietcomfort 35 are at least rated for up to 20 hours.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Incessant Excess posted:

True, I know my Bose Quietcomfort 35 are at least rated for up to 20 hours.

I wouldn't call those affordable, or something I'd want to wear at work while I listen to podcasts

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

Mine will last me through a 12 hour shift, and a few hours after that. I'm not listening to music the entire time though, maybe 3-4 hours worth throughout the day. I can understand having to remember to plug them in every night being an issue for people though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Iron Crowned posted:

The LG Tone Infinim lasted me a full day at work plus a solid half to 2/3 of the next day when I forgot to charge. That said, the ratchet/retraction mechanism on the earbuds was really janky and ended up wearing down enough to stop catching properly so it wouldn't stay extended on one ear unless I fiddled with it, then all the fiddling wore out the wire connections so the bud on the side that wasn't ratcheting went dead.

The previous LG Tone model I had before it also lasted a day and a portion of the next day. I tend to listen to podcasts nonstop at work so it may not be as loud as you'd listen to music, but it's not just sitting there idle at any point either.

E: when I do forget to plug them in, if I realize I didn't plug them in the previous night, they charge to "battery high" in a ~20 minute drive and last all day. I usually remember that evening to plug them in, though.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
The Essential phone looks cool but there is no water-proofing, that is an instant no-buy for me. If they want me to go case-less, that thing better be able to handle being used in a downpour ( held to ear or covered while using but still getting wet ), used on/in/near any sort of body of water, without any fear of it being damaged in any way long or short-term.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
Is there an app or something that goes somewhat in depth as to where most of my storage has gone? Something more in depth than the storage option in settings and its sections of used space and miscellaneous files? I had uninstalled a bunch of apps and is seems like my available space has not gone up at all. I'm trying to figure out where all my space is at. Runnng android 5.1.1 on a Galaxy S5.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Excuse the moonspeak but do we have a :dice: version of :google: yet?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

PSWII60 posted:

Is there an app or something that goes somewhat in depth as to where most of my storage has gone? Something more in depth than the storage option in settings and its sections of used space and miscellaneous files? I had uninstalled a bunch of apps and is seems like my available space has not gone up at all. I'm trying to figure out where all my space is at. Runnng android 5.1.1 on a Galaxy S5.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.diskusage&hl=en

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Sereri posted:

Excuse the moonspeak but do we have a :dice: version of :google: yet?
People have brought it up before but I don't think anyone ever made one, just

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The Pixel is a nice phone.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

monster on a stick posted:

The Pixel is a nice phone.

Edgy as gently caress. Got any more hot takes?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

nimper posted:

Edgy as gently caress. Got any more hot takes?

I've heard the Oneplus phones have terrible support.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like Andy Rubin is wasting no time.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/30/15716932/andy-rubin-essential-phone-release-date-shipping-june

The first Essential phone is said to ship in the next 30 days.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

Thanks, that's absolutely perfect.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

bull3964 posted:

Looks like Andy Rubin is wasting no time.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/30/15716932/andy-rubin-essential-phone-release-date-shipping-june

The first Essential phone is said to ship in the next 30 days.

Hope it's good

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

The Duggler posted:

Hope it's good

This place will never allow it to be good, just you wait.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

PSWII60 posted:

Thanks, that's absolutely perfect.

It's a great app but I only install it when I need to because of the low-res drawer icon. I wish someone would just make exactly that app without the shading on the squares and with a pretty icon.

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion

Iron Crowned posted:

I guess it depends if you're only counting in-ear or earbud style headphones, but I got these: https://www.whathifi.com/akg/y50bt/review, and they last about 20 hours on a charge. Also, I'm no audiophile, but the sound quality and lack of connection drops has been excellent so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Whoops, I'm wrong.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 31, 2017