Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Jon Jones ever fight in the UFC again?
This poll is closed.
Yes 59 56.73%
No 45 43.27%
Total: 104 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Aldo vs Cub is great precisely because it is exactly what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Edgar was the p4p goat

And Aldo embarrassed him

Chillanese
Mar 30, 2010
Mighty Mouse is apparently the greatest of all time.
It's a shame that Ian McCall had to find out the hard way that Australia is a lovely country that sucks.
It's also a shame that he can't get himself together enough to still get credit for that mighty mouse fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i still heavily rate edgar p4p. he's a bantamweight. a guy who wouldn't have to fight half as hard to get to 135 than aldo would to get to 145. what he's accomplished is pretty much staggering.

put jose and conor at ww and mm to fw and edgar looks crazy impressive.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Marching Powder posted:

i still heavily rate edgar p4p. he's a bantamweight. a guy who wouldn't have to fight half as hard to get to 135 than aldo would to get to 145. what he's accomplished is pretty much staggering.

put jose and conor at ww and mm to fw and edgar looks crazy impressive.

Oh no i agree but it is still an all time phenomenal performance by Aldo in the all time history of MMA. To see how good Edgar has been since then and before in the same division against top contenders just shows that Aldo is ridiculous. If Edgar looked worse since it could be argued downswing but he's still #3 in the world... and I'd pick Edgar over Holloway any day of the week.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

To sound like Joe Rogan for a moment, "If you had to design the perfect fighter to beat Frankie Edgar it'd be Jose Aldo". Styles make fights and everything Aldo loves doing is great again what Frankie loves doing.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

EmmyOk posted:

To sound like Joe Rogan for a moment, "If you had to design the perfect fighter to beat Frankie Edgar it'd be Jose Aldo". Styles make fights and everything Aldo loves doing is great again what Frankie loves doing.

pretty much. oh and jose is like 8th on the all-time tdd list, but the times he was actually taken down he pops right back up. they shouldn't even count they're so worthless.

i think edgar held him down for like 20 or 30 seconds once. i think. man he's good.

that said though i think holloway will give him problems. an unorthodox, young, hungry striker seems like a guy who could make jose work. keen as heck.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

Jose Aldo was never good

[edit] someone dig up this post in a few years once aldo starts losing

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Marching Powder posted:

that said though i think holloway will give him problems. an unorthodox, young, hungry striker seems like a guy who could make jose work. keen as heck.

It's such a good matchup I'm so excited!!

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snowman_McK posted:

Aldo really, really doesn't have any weaknesses. Except a full year of overtly racist trash talk couple with his bosses praying for him to lose with dollar signs dancing in their eyes.

lol what

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Conor

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think probably aldo will shut holloway down for a 50-45 or 49-46 but there'll be a lot of cool moments along the way

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Foul Fowl posted:

i think probably aldo will shut holloway down for a 50-45 or 49-46 but there'll be a lot of cool moments along the way

no way , max has cardio to pressure him and is extremely tough

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Bundt Cake posted:

Max did the "stand and bang" thing with some guy right? I think Aldo is way more competetive than him.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Max did way better against Conor

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Bundt Cake posted:

I mean Frankie has cardio and is tough too. Max is going to have to master spacing.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

The Dave posted:

I mean Frankie has cardio and is tough too. Max is going to have to master spacing.

max has 80 inches of reach on frankie and is 6 feet taller

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Would you say he is three times the size of Frankie?

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
absolutely, i'm curious if max will be able to get anywhere near his normal amount of body work in against aldo

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Skip My Posts posted:

And Max has 10 wins since then. Max today would beat Conor.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Skip My Posts posted:

To be fair, didn't Conor tear his ACL in the first round of that one?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

CommonShore posted:

Let's just calm the gently caress down.

I think Max did much better on the feet vs Conor than most people seem to think, even prior to Conor's injury. But at the end of the day max Holloway was wrestled by Conor fweaking McGregor. Sure it would be a compelling match but it's a bold claim to make, particularly because it will never happen at 145

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

CommonShore posted:

Can't argue with that - each of those wins gave max XP points, which he was then able to use to "level up" his various stats.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

CommonShore posted:

They've both fought a lot and improved a lot since then so that's a pretty big claim. There's a lot of stuff about how they match up with each other that won't change though for example their comparative sizes to the rest of the division etc.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i'd beat the poo poo out of conor to be honest, i'm big john mccarthy but bigger and not called john so i have all the skills needed

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

EmmyOk posted:

They've both fought a lot and improved a lot since then so that's a pretty big claim. There's a lot of stuff about how they match up with each other that won't change though for example their comparative sizes to the rest of the division etc.

Imo Max has improved more of the two.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I am reasonably confident that Mayweather would beat Conor in a boxing match, but beyond that, I'm not confident at all with predicting a loss in a MMA bout by Conor, unless he tries to jump to LHW or something similarly stupid.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mayweather will gently caress him up barring a miracle and McGregor's air of MMA invincibility isn't especially large considering he got choked out by Nate Diaz last year.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Mayweather will gently caress him up barring a miracle and McGregor's air of MMA invincibility isn't especially large considering he got choked out by Nate Diaz last year.

Uh, have you spoken to dangersim lately?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Skip My Posts posted:

max has 80 inches of reach on frankie and is 6 feet taller

Frankie is allegedly 5'6 with a 68" wingspan and 37" leg length

Holloway is 5'11, 69" wingspan and 42" leg

Aldo is 5'7, 70" wingspan and 40" leg

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I feel like any orthodox fighter at a reach disadvantage is going to have a real hard time with Conor.

I want to see Conor fight Tony Ferguson. That's an interesting match up to me.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

LobsterMobster posted:

Frankie is allegedly 5'6 with a 68" wingspan and 37" leg length

Holloway is 5'11, 69" wingspan and 42" leg

Aldo is 5'7, 70" wingspan and 40" leg

That was before max won 10 fights and given the importance of reach I'm sure he put a lot of his XP into the wingspan stat.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
As long as Aldo doesn't face the man who made him look like a collar from Mad Men he is unbeatable and the best fighter in the world, except for when he's not.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
dont invest too many points into willpower we all saw how cm punk turned out

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Bundt Cake posted:

i hope you're right, holloway is awesome. aldo just has a way of completely shutting down guys who are awesome.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Detroit_Dogg posted:

As long as Aldo doesn't face the man who made him look like a collar from Mad Men he is unbeatable and the best fighter in the world, except for when he's not.

You made somebody mad in the NFL forum

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/SportsCentre/status/869642218830745600

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

GSP has found a perfect quantum state because hes never going to fight but if he never fights he'll never lose and have to retire.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Marching Powder posted:

pretty much. oh and jose is like 8th on the all-time tdd list, but the times he was actually taken down he pops right back up. they shouldn't even count they're so worthless.

i think edgar held him down for like 20 or 30 seconds once. i think. man he's good.

Frankie is second best to Aldo. Aldo pretty much outclasses him everywhere, except maybe he moves fewer miles in a fight than Frankie does.

I think it's funny that Chad$ was considered #2 for so long and then gets back to back murdered by Conor, Frankie, and an acne cream.

Max is very good but he'd lose to Aldo and Frankie. I'd love to see him fight Conor or Tony Ferguson though, those would be sick fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

Work Friend Keven posted:

GSP has found a perfect quantum state because hes never going to fight but if he never fights he'll never lose and have to retire.

ehhh what excites me the most is of course a woman, dinosaur, and the chaos of quantum mechanic

• Locked thread