Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So since the death pool and morbidity seems to really bother some people, can I at least ask that any future graphic photos get linked with appropriate tags? Spoilering doesn't always work and also think it's really dumb to have a big blank space in your post and that will at least quell some of the gruesomeness in this thread that usually gets probated elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
non-gory fully dressed corpses are gruesome and get probated? in these forums?

:thunk:

well, they're your forums i guess

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
I'd rather have a choice, or even a heads up of the context, before I see shooting victims or close ups of exposed remains, but thats just me.

Normal vague photos of far away clothed corpses don't bother me very much, but there have been plenty of worse images in these threads. I really appreciate that people here usually do warn about or link those gory photos rather than only post pictures of the dead bodies. Its a considerate thing to do.

Im not like calling for anyone to be probated and I think I missed whatever post you all are referring to, so Im sorry if my post is absolutely missing the context. Its just nice not being surprised by it

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 29, 2017

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

There's been enough whining about the death fetish status of this thread, I'm just laying one simple rule to curb some of it. I'm keeping the death pool. Just link corpses. I don't think it's unreasonable.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

There's been enough whining about the death fetish status of this thread, I'm just laying one simple rule to curb some of it. I'm keeping the death pool. Just link corpses. I don't think it's unreasonable.

lmao

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Picnic Princess posted:

This is profoundly sad lol

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

SoundMonkey posted:

y'all are a bit morbid, drat

if we weren't morbid we wouldn't be interested in everest at all

or posting in general

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Morbid” seems appropriate for a dead comedy forum.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

There's nothing morbid about this. You people only use that word to sound cool. You don't know the first loving thing about morbidity and what it all encompasses. You're just sad, depressed, hateful people who find solace in the fact that other people "didn't make it" while you remain, despite living in undoubted complete squalor and disgrace. The dead demand respect -- you, however, do not.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I don't give a poo poo.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Picnic Princess posted:

I don't give a poo poo.

If you keep repeating this mantra to yourself maybe you'll trick yourself into believing it someday.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

Distorted Kiwi posted:

How to be the the Highest Altitude Dickhead in the World? Steal other climbers Oxygen bottles, of course.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11865414

Wasn't there some story (Everest or K2) about someone coming to the highest altitude camp only to find their tent occupied and full, and the tenant most definitely not going anywhere.

I mean, up there it once it probably is a question of survival, if your tent has been blown to four winds and you need shelter now you will likely just take if there's an empty one, but...

Distorted Kiwi
Jun 11, 2014

"C'mon! Let's tune our weapons!"

Lunsku posted:

Wasn't there some story (Everest or K2) about someone coming to the highest altitude camp only to find their tent occupied and full, and the tenant most definitely not going anywhere.

I mean, up there it once it probably is a question of survival, if your tent has been blown to four winds and you need shelter now you will likely just take if there's an empty one, but...

What's the over/under on the first high-altitude ice-pick murder?

Or, on the positive side, just a lot of very cramped snuggling.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
They steal your tent, you're entitled to sharing their body warmth, fair trade. Not only does everyone survive but you also make a new best friend! What a great deal.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Lunsku posted:

Yeah K2, an Italian party were in the guy's tent and when he confronted them they said something obnoxious like 'yesterday it was your tent , tomorrow it is your tent, today.....it is ours.'

You almost have to admire their craven ways.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoadCrewWorker posted:

They steal your tent, you're entitled to sharing their body warmth, fair trade. Not only does everyone survive but you also make a new best friend! What a great deal.

Go tauntaun on their rear end.

:unsmigghh:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

You don't know the first loving thing about morbidity

What about morbid obesity?

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Doctor Malaver posted:

I have an idea! Nepal could announce that say year 2020 will be a Year of Respect and that the season will be entirely devoted to removing all bodies from the mountain. There would be no summits that year.

It would be a right thing to do and I'm sure plenty of climbers would be interested. Since they are still "using" the mountain, Nepal could charge them for some reduced permits although overall they would earn less from permits that year. However this noble cause might attract some sponsor money. And to celebrate they could charge more for permits for casuals from 2021 on so any temporary loss would soon turn into a gain.

This is a neat idea and everything but the Nepalese government has shown time and time again that they rely on those paid climbing permits, and will issue as many as they can accept payment for. They've shown multiple times that they only care about Sherpa welfare and the environment only when it doesn't cost them directly.

Again, I think this is a good idea and they should do this.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Picnic Princess posted:

A super normal thing to think

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
QQCS crew found the thread :(

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Picnic Princess posted:

lol

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

There's nothing morbid about this. You people only use that word to sound cool. You don't know the first loving thing about morbidity and what it all encompasses. You're just sad, depressed, hateful people who find solace in the fact that other people "didn't make it" while you remain, despite living in undoubted complete squalor and disgrace. The dead demand respect -- you, however, do not.

How much respect get shitposters? Do they count as dead or living?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Here's an article from National Geographic about Cory Richard's life and what led to his and Adrian's Everest climb last year.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/adventure/features/athletes/cory-richards-explorer-photographer-everest-personal-challenges/

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Maluco Marinero posted:

Sure is, reminds me of some of a bad Sydney to Hobart (1998). It's a yacht race which used to have stunningly low safety standards for its competitors, such that many crew just didn't know how to operate a life raft, so when poo poo got real they'd make a ton of baffling errors that ultimately resulted in loss of life.
... Cutting out a primary piece of your life raft's buoyancy is an error of incredible proportions that anyone going to sea should even contemplate for reasons that are obvious if trained in life rafts.
Am I thinking of a different race, or weren't they trapped under the life raft's floor and thus unable to hold on?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Am I thinking of a different race, or weren't they trapped under the life raft's floor and thus unable to hold on?

It's difficult to say, I've heard that it was difficult to breathe in there too, but I'm trying to dig up records that say exactly what happened, and it gets real muddy because all sorts of details, critical details, get missed when half the evidence gets carried away and sinks to the bottom of the ocean. Most of the recollection of preparedness & events on the vessels that went down only lives on through the retelling of those who lived it.

You see passages like this once you look around:

quote:

The crew tries hand-pumping for a few minutes but they can see it’s hopeless. Up until now, Stanley has taken only a casual interest in life rafts. He’s seen them demonstrated, but he’s never had to get into one. Richard Winning, John Stanley and Bruce Gould, the three most experienced sailors on board, decide not to inflate the rafts until the yacht’s deck is completely submerged. They want to wait till the very last minute, when the boats moving as slowly as possible.

...and you realise the event was inevitable, it was just a question of when the weather would collide with the race.

Maritime inquiries involve a lot of effort and often struggle to get a clear indication of the truth of the story, especially because those interviewed usually are quite certain their actions were the right ones (or they wish to defend them as right). Yachting is a game full of unnecessary machismo, especially in those days, and there is a not insignificant portion of the yachting community who are too cowboy to take safety training seriously. You can pretty much guess what happens when poo poo gets real and it's hard to turn the weather off when one's 100 miles out to sea.

edit: as an aside I don't believe any of these men or women sailing deserve to die, or don't have legit grievances at the quality of their liferafts or whatever, however deaths at sea almost never have singular 'freak' causes, they're created through a combination of factors, many of which can be controlled, yet for societal reasons are not, whether it's the richie rich machismo of racing, the glorification of solo yachties.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 05:44 on May 30, 2017

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Please just link ze corpses und alle ist gut, ja? It ist not unreasonable. Just link ze corpses est ist not unreasonable. Vi must never see the coprses in this thread, nicht, unless they haz been linked!! This thread will not have ze corpses in it on my watch, nein! No one sees ze corpses they will never see just link ze cor

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

Please just link ze corpses und alle ist gut, ja? It ist not unreasonable. Just link ze corpses est ist not unreasonable. Vi must never see the coprses in this thread, nicht, unless they haz been linked!! This thread will not have ze corpses in it on my watch, nein! No one sees ze corpses they will never see just link ze cor

Is this how they post in FYAD or something? Seems weird.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
More posts about cool mountaineering please

Any recommended movies that are available on Prime or Netflix etc?

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

BrienneGetsHanged posted:

:same:

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

Levitate posted:

Seconded. Particularly documentaries about horrendously underprepared idiots getting themselves dead.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Levitate posted:

Touching The Void is a bonkers crazy awesome documentary and is on Netflix (last time I checked). If you don't already know the story, don't spoil yourself.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

gohuskies posted:

Touching The Void is a bonkers crazy awesome documentary and is on Netflix (last time I checked). If you don't already know the story, don't spoil yourself.

Oh my god, seconding this. I had a few beers, watched this and had no idea what I was in for. My mouth hung open in shock by the end.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Maluco Marinero posted:

edit: as an aside I don't believe any of these men or women sailing deserve to die, or don't have legit grievances at the quality of their liferafts or whatever, however deaths at sea almost never have singular 'freak' causes, they're created through a combination of factors, many of which can be controlled, yet for societal reasons are not, whether it's the richie rich machismo of racing, the glorification of solo yachties.
BTW, if goons like tales of terror and derring-do on the mountains, they should definitely read about terror and derring-do at sea: Fastnet, Force 10: The Deadliest Storm in the History of Modern Sailing and any of the books on the Sydney-to-Hobart race. I read The 54th Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race

Fastnet blurb posted:

In August 1979, 303 yachts began the 600-mile Fastnet Race from the Isle of Wight off the southwest coast of England to Fastnet Rock off the Irish coast and back.
It began in fine weather, then suddenly became a terrifying ordeal. A Force 10, sixty-knot storm swept across the North Atlantic with a speed that confounded forecasters, slamming into the fleet with epic fury. For twenty hours, 2,500 men and women were smashed by forty-foot breaking waves, while rescue helicopters and lifeboats struggled to save them. By the time the race was over, fifteen people had died, twenty-four crews had abandoned ship, five yachts had sunk, 136 sailors had been rescued, and only 85 boats had finished the race.

Fatal Storm blurb posted:

the Sydney to Hobart yacht race is one of the world's major sporting events. In 1998, it became one of the world's major sporting disasters. Six sailors tragically perished and numerous yachts sank or were badly damaged. the subsequent search and rescue operation was one of the most phenomenally accomplished peacetime effortsthe world has ever seen. In this fully updated edition to mark the 10th anniversary of the tumultuous race, Rob Mundle, one of Australia's leading journalists and yachtsmen, tells this story of challenge and survival with compassion, vigour and understanding. Drawing from extensive interviews with officials, crews, survivors and rescue service personnel, he relates like no other the calamity and triumph of the 1998 blue water classic. 'Mundle's portrayals of courageous sailors and heroic rescuers fighting for their lives are as vivid as any I have read.'- John Rousmaniere, author Fastnet, Force 10

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

gohuskies posted:

"I'm going to die to Boney M..."

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Levitate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1tBf455jXE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIv-s5hGw_s

This is 2 videos from Steve House, one of the best mountaineers in the world. These 2 clips are probably the best climbing/mountaineering films I've ever seen, even if the production values are kinda poo poo. He's filming it himself while climbing in Pakistan and Peru.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Syncopated posted:

This is 2 videos from Steve House, one of the best mountaineers in the world. These 2 clips are probably the best climbing/mountaineering films I've ever seen, even if the production values are kinda poo poo. He's filming it himself while climbing in Pakistan and Peru.

:stare: Just casually climbing up ice while simultaneously hacking it to bits and kicking giant icicles off the huge overhang you're clinging to and climbing up

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

BTW, if goons like tales of terror and derring-do on the mountains, they should definitely read about terror and derring-do at sea: Fastnet, Force 10: The Deadliest Storm in the History of Modern Sailing and any of the books on the Sydney-to-Hobart race. I read The 54th Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race

Along similar lines, tales of terror and derring-do in arctic/antarctic exploration are great. Read Shackleton's accounts of his expeditions.
https://www.amazon.com/South-ENDURANCE-Expedition-Ernest-Shackleton/dp/0451198808/

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Leperflesh posted:

Along similar lines, tales of terror and derring-do in arctic/antarctic exploration are great. Read Shackleton's accounts of his expeditions.
https://www.amazon.com/South-ENDURANCE-Expedition-Ernest-Shackleton/dp/0451198808/

I also liked The Terror despite it having some supernatural components. It's a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition of HMS Erebus and HMS Terror to the Arctic, in 1845–1848, to force the Northwest Passage. Really it's the historical first half that shines - the part of the expedition before the ships disappeared with no trace. Nobody knows what happened after a certain point.

https://www.amazon.com/Terror-Novel-Dan-Simmons/dp/0316008079

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

I made my work put Brown Girl in the Ring on their playlist a few years back after watching Touching the Void and would laugh every time it came on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Syncopated posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1tBf455jXE

Have An Ice Day is a short video featuring House and one of his climbing partners doing ice/mixed cragging, but the production values are super high. Really cool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aowLg3iumwY