Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Thinking about basement IRA guy, it probably makes sense for his mom to take it since she is closer to being able to take non-penalty distributions if it inherits as an IRA and not converting to taxable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

That is just a bathroom with a loft bed in it.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The question is are you sharing the bathroom?

Because to be honest, that's not bad for the area. Easy clean-up, lots of privacy. WiFi usually sucks in the bathroom though.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

ate all the Oreos posted:

Okay but if I move out of the basement mommy won't make me easy mac anymore :(

e: Actually he mentions that he thinks he couldn't get the money moved out of the account before he'd be homeless and carless, and he'd lose his job as a result, so a bit more depressing and less funny

He's one of the few people who may be in a situation to actually benefit from taking on some credit card debt.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Droo posted:

That guy is 25 and apparently both he and his girlfriend live with the mom, have no intention of moving out, and don't pay for their own car / cell phone / etc. I kind of think the mom has a point about the money.

An acquaintance of mine is in this situation despite having a decent job because he can't afford to move out to a "safe neighborhood."

Plot twist: had lunch with him recently and found out he makes way more then I thought (think ~100k vs ~50k). He just stuffs massive amounts of money into index funds / retirement accounts and lives like a pauper.

BWM? I feel bad for the parents in either case but I remember them being helicoptery so maybe they prefer it that way.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Virtue posted:

An acquaintance of mine is in this situation despite having a decent job because he can't afford to move out to a "safe neighborhood."

Plot twist: had lunch with him recently and found out he makes way more then I thought (think ~100k vs ~50k). He just stuffs massive amounts of money into index funds / retirement accounts and lives like a pauper.

BWM? I feel bad for the parents in either case but I remember them being helicoptery so maybe they prefer it that way.

Based on what I've observed of helicopter parents' children the first time they're away for any length of time and from older relatives who never cut the umbilical cord even through a decade of their parents' dementia, your acquaintance is going to be in for a rude awakening and serious trouble when his parents eventually kick it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Virtue posted:

If his primary criteria is if the neighborhood is sufficiently white safe I think he's got bigger problems than affording to move

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Droo posted:

That guy is 25 and apparently both he and his girlfriend live with the mom, have no intention of moving out, and don't pay for their own car / cell phone / etc. I kind of think the mom has a point about the money.

I wonder if she wanted him to move out, and hoped that the ultimatum would force him to move out and get an apartment.

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

canyoneer posted:

The real estate bubble, ladies and gentlemen.

I'm not even mad about this. I just worry about steam damage on the underside of the bed.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Ghostnuke posted:

I'm not even mad about this. I just worry about steam damage on the underside of the bed.

Oh god now I'm thinking about how moist everything would be after a bath :stonk:

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Oh god now I'm thinking about how moist everything would be after a bath :stonk:

Sleep nice and cozy in your big pile of mildew

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

That Toronto crack house family is the purest BWM gold, and must be treasured. I loved all of it, especially their decision to bribe a squatter, let a lunatic ram their porch with a Bobcat, and the deus ex machine of a rich Englishman bailing out their idiocy.

Too much gold to quote all of it, but their decisions were so awful I initially thought the first part of this line was serious:

quote:

Desperate, we pimped out our newborn daughter for some modelling gigs...
As the daughter earned $250, she was probably the breadwinner that day.

Light googling reveals the family has begun eating trash: "How to make a family meal out of garbage" http://www.cbc.ca/radio/dnto/puttin...rbage-1.3462830

quote:

Shocked by the statistics, Jheon and her partner decided to make a family dinner made entirely out of food destined for the trash bin.

Their young ones were skeptical at first, saying "Garbage is disgusting!"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
This family certainly seems to want attention, that's for sure.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
The Inherited IRA guy is painfully dumb and is getting taken advantage of because he is a man-baby.

He is turning 27, is starting his first job (24 hours a week), and is signing the money over to him mom because:

- She will take away his credit card and he doesn't want to apply for one in his name.
- She will let him move with her to the house she bought and charge him $600 a month for rent.

He could get his own apartment and pay $600 in rent, but that would require finding one and getting a lease. That could be hard because he just started his job.

He could also move in with a friend, but then he would have to figure out a way to get to work after his mom took the car away.

It's much easier to just keep doing what he's doing because if he loses his job, then he can fallback to doing what he has been doing for the past 5 years.

He's literally giving up 60k, that his father specifically left for him, for the privilege of being able to pay rent to his abusive mom because he is completely helpless.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

He's literally giving up 60k, that his father specifically left for him, for the privilege of being able to pay rent to his abusive mom because he is completely helpless.

Yeah it's almost like abuse fucks with people or something

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Inept posted:

Agreed on that, but he says that she was not like this until he moved his girlfriend in (7 months ago) and it escalated once the money came into his possession (a month ago).

He was still a helpless man-baby before.

Like, even if you hadn't worked for the last 5-years you should at least have your own debit card at 27.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Agreed on that, but he says that she was not like this until he moved his girlfriend in (7 months ago) and it escalated once the money came into his possession (a month ago).

He was still a helpless man-baby before.

Like, even if you hadn't worked for the last 5-years you should at least have your own debit card at 27.

Financial illiterate young adults are normally that way as a result of worthless parenting who never talk about money or instill financial literacy from an early age. I wouldn't hang all of this on the kid.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Hargrimm posted:

Sleep nice and cozy in your big pile of mildew

Almost as bad as basement pool:

Inept posted:

In all fairness it's not clear whether the mother is taking advantage of her child or merely offsetting the cost of supporting a shiftless, MMO-addicted manchild.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

LLCoolJD posted:

In all fairness it's not clear whether the mother is taking advantage of her child or merely offsetting the cost of supporting a shiftless, MMO-addicted manchild.

If she was a sensible person she could say "Right, with this inheritance you don't need my spare room, so I'm renting it out. You want to stay here, it's $800 every 5th of the month, but you need to fill out an application form like everyone else."

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

BarbarianElephant posted:

If she was a sensible person she could say "Right, with this inheritance you don't need my spare room, so I'm renting it out. You want to stay here, it's $800 every 5th of the month, but you need to fill out an application form like everyone else."

no? under the table as the land owner with family is GWM. You don't want legal protections for your tenant or you can't strongarm in this exact scenario.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

BarbarianElephant posted:

She's moving out at lease expiry in 16 days. Presumably she'd need to give 30 days notice to evict him legally. Chances are that just staying where he is will cost her a boatload of money with the current landlord, which should be enough to leverage himself into a room in the new place (that he can once again claim tenant's rights on) or at least a favorable negotiating position for the terms of his leaving.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

This family certainly seems to want attention, that's for sure.

Yeah they're definitely trying real hard for attention but I gotta love "yuppie family discovers little-known secret that you can actually eat food that's about to expire?!?" being presented as news

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
If a parent never offsets more and more responsibility on to their child from the moment the child is capable then you end up with an incompetent manchild who shuts down and retreats as a BWM reddit incel when society expects them to conform because they are 25 and don't have a bank account and have never done their own laundry.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
On twitter crackhouse lady mentions they've been getting hate mail.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I don't think the guy with the live in girlfriend is an incel...

SweetSassyMolassy
Oct 31, 2010
Did the change to private student loan lenders open up a loophole?

quote:

In California, there is a statute of limitations of 4 years for debt collection. I have 200k in student loans. If I stop paying for 4 years, what happens?

Guy thinks that if he doesn't pay his student loans for 4 years they will be forgiven...

I hope he's not a doctor or a lawyer...

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Scudworth posted:

Unbelievable But True Tales of the Toronto Housing Bubble

http://torontolife.com/real-estate/parkdale-reno-hell/

Bad With Money 2.0: We pimped out our newborn daughter for some modelling gigs

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

canyoneer posted:

The real estate bubble, ladies and gentlemen.

That's not even much of an exaggeration:

http://www.sfgate.com/realestate/article/Box-man-living-San-Francisco-400-rent-Berkowitz-7215269.php

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

quote:

The people who are in really extreme situations are living on couches or in partitions.
I didn't realize living on a couch was a step down. Also, you are living in a partition you loving moron!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My mom has enabled my dumbass brother for about 36 years so yeah, it's a pretty stupid thing to do. Probably as bad as kicking your child out the moment they turn 18. At least in the latter they have a chance to sink or swim.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

no? under the table as the land owner with family is GWM. You don't want legal protections for your tenant or you can't strongarm in this exact scenario.

The tenant already has legal protections as it's been their home for X number of years. She'd still have to formally evict him whether or not he has been paying rent.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Yeah they're definitely trying real hard for attention but I gotta love "yuppie family discovers little-known secret that you can actually eat food that's about to expire?!?" being presented as news

The good people of the city have taken pity on them - https://www.gofundme.com/help-this-brave-gentrifier-family

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Scudworth posted:

The good people of the city have taken pity on them - https://www.gofundme.com/help-this-brave-gentrifier-family
preeetty sure that's satire.

quote:

If successful, I will personally have my chauffeur drive me to their Parkdale home and turn the money over in the form of a giant novelty cheque.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Suspicious Lump posted:

preeetty sure that's satire.

I don't think anybody says "the good people of" unironically anymore. Pretty sure Scudworth's on the trolley

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I don't think anybody says "the good people of" unironically anymore. Pretty sure Scudworth's on the trolley
So many levels of satire it is confusing me. Yes, I see it now. Thanks for pointing it out.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Interview with a guy who spent $125k NZD in 10 months on a lovely freemium app.

http://www.therock.net.nz/home/shows/the-morning-rumble/2017/05/this-dude-spent--125k-on-a-lovely-gaming-app.html

curufinor
Apr 4, 2016

by Smythe

I thought "on a freemium app" meant, "creating the app"

no, this guy spent $125k on the inapp purchases on clash of kings

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

curufinor posted:

I thought "on a freemium app" meant, "creating the app"

no, this guy spent $125k on the inapp purchases on clash of kings

Is he at least the king now?

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

I like this version better, because the guy at least gets a physical trophyy as a reward:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/05/01/man-loses-life-savings-playing-carnival-game-wins-giant-banana/

quote:

Man Loses Life Savings Playing Carnival Game, Wins Giant Banana

On the bright side, he did win a giant banana with dreadlocks.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Really though zero isn't much worse than 2600 do may as well have a giant banana I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zo posted:

lol you're mildly retarded as well looks like
Now, now. People in glasshouses shouldn't throw stones.

Dick Nipples posted:

Ah yes - a long and drawn out court case that will incite a huge amount of family drama, *especially* for my grandmother. Just what we need. :smuggo:
Shouldn't all this have been worked out beforehand? Regarding the legal limitations of the trust and how to best structure it?

If it was indeed properly structured, then seems to me that your dad simply couldn't be bothered despite his promise to his dead brother. If you are not willing to eat a lot of poo poo, then you shouldn't promise to eat a lot of poo poo. His brother would at least then have the option of trying to find an alternative.

Hoodwinker posted:

His post history on reddit leads to several different MMO subreddits so take from that what you will.

Sure, but, "Give me all of the money or I will disown you." is still bad behavior. The part that kills me is he essentially has access soon to enough money to get his life started better off than he was living and he's getting bullied out of that. :rip:
Some people can't be trusted with any money.