Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SeANMcBAY posted:

https://twitter.com/bnonews/status/869653973950754817
How viable would this system be if multiple ICBMs were launched at once?

We've had point defense ABMS (SPRINT being one of them) before; the thing is this might be the first one that relies on kinetic kill vehicles rather than, you know, nukes to defeat nukes. The missile body turns white because of air friction (mainly because it's pulling 100gs of acceleration)

http://i.imgur.com/gtDR7RT.mp4

Missile Command didn't happen in a vacuum, you know.

Also I think this is successful test #10 out of a total of 18?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Party Plane Jones posted:

We've had point defense ABMS (SPRINT being one of them) before; the thing is this might be the first one that relies on kinetic kill vehicles rather than, you know, nukes to defeat nukes. The missile body turns white because of air friction (mainly because it's pulling 100gs of acceleration)

Missile Command didn't happen in a vacuum, you know.

Also I think this is successful test #10 out of a total of 18?

And just like missile command you eventually get to a point where you have to say "OK, gently caress those other 5 cities, I have to focus on just keeping this one last city alive"

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

enraged_camel posted:

It is oversimplified because like I said I don't want to turn this into the Middle East thread.

I stand by my original claim, which is that arming Kurds, or any other group in the Middle East, is incredibly risky. Possibly advantageous in the short term, with potentially devastating consequences in the long term.

There's no non-risky options when it comes to Syria, even doing nothing. The only reason the Kurds weren't armed before was because Flynn was bribed by Turkey to block it, because Turkey's current proto-dictator created a new civil war against the Turkish Kurds (which had been effectively solved when they renounced violence years ago) to crush Kurdish parties that were in the opposition and drum up support for dictatorial powers in a referendum.

There are no good options in Syria and it's definitely possible we come to regret it, but looking back at the mujaheddin isn't really all that useful here (not least, because those weapons didn't wind up getting used against us: our allies at that time turned into the enemies of today, but 9/11 happened with some box cutters and other knives, not the CIA-supplied weapons). But supporting any side in the Middle East is always going to come with serious risks because the region simply isn't stable and isn't going to be for some time.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

enraged_camel posted:

I don't want to turn this thread into the Middle East thread. We can take this there if you want.

Why would I? it's a lovely article that makes claim such as that al Qaeda established the Taliban

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
It will never stop being funny how republicans treat innocuous leaks like the loving Omerta.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The GOP's new motto is Snitches Get Stitches.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/Newsweek/status/869656116078166016

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

evilweasel posted:

Yeah, Booker seems to have a lot of raw political talent but it's basically completely neutered by his apparently unshakable habit of going to bat for various hedge fund/wall street/etc guys.

I honestly thought Booker was smart enough that he would go hard left for a few years and at least fake a Bernie conversion. But nope, he that dumb or that bought.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

And another 40 percent are us lefties that are constantly gasping at what this blowhard is doing.

Makes ya think.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lol

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I honestly thought Booker was smart enough that he would go hard left for a few years and at least fake a Bernie conversion. But nope, he that dumb or that bought.

It's the latter, sadly

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I don't think he's "bought" because he's certainly not expecting any additional money from the Kushners for his 2020 campaign. I think he's just been around those sort of people so long he instinctively leaps to their defense.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

This is even better

https://twitter.com/NumbersMuncher/status/869657247563042816

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

BarbarianElephant posted:

Has it ever worked, ever? As far as I can see, either the plucky rebels get massacred and horrible people take the arms, or the plucky rebels turn into horrible people after 20 years of fighting a horrible war.

Yes, with the Kurds actually.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Doing the math, Obama has over 55 million real followers to Trump's ~15 million.

Trump only gained about 7.5 million real Twitter followers by becoming president of the United States lol

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I really can't say I see the point.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Can you get banned for buying fake followers? Because if so, report the poo poo out of him lol

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I know there are outfits that you can buy twitter followers. How much do they charge?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Hillary would have more followers if you deducted the 3 million illegal accounts following Trump.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Tarezax posted:

Can you get banned for buying fake followers? Because if so, report the poo poo out of him lol

It wouldn't happen. They would have been bought through anonymous Russian 3rd parties.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
It's funny but ultimately probably not his decision. Aside from the Russian bots I wouldn't be surprised if RWM/alt-right/the_donald guys were the ones buying the followers for him independently, given how much their ego seems to depend on their imaginary number of followers of their god emperor and/or them thinking that it's a sick troll to own liberals with.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know there are outfits that you can buy twitter followers. How much do they charge?

Not a lot. Somebody linked ebay (yes ebay) twitter followers purchasing and you can buy 3 million followers for less than 5 grand.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

White House staff had to juice his stats to try to cushion the blow of coming back to DC. Sad!

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

First random site I found on Google charged $50 for 5k followers.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I feel like I incessantly follow this trash can presidency but I honestly don't think I knew who Michael Dubke was until today.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/jussikarlgren/status/869207322689761280

:orb:

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

cochise posted:

First random site I found on Google charged $50 for 5k followers.

Imagine spending $30k to make it look like people listen to you

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

I just want to say it was a pleasure to share this thread with some Europeans and I'm sorry for what's going to happen as the New Cold War starts up

hint: you might want to up your number of nukes

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Is this Ryan's first opponent for 2018?

https://twitter.com/dustinhines/status/869656165453398016

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Who?

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

any relation to weird al? :allears:

Easy Salmon Recipe
Jan 10, 2017

Not a Children posted:

Imagine spending $30k to make it look like people listen to you

Imagine being the literal President of the United States of America and being so insecure that you need Twitter followers to boost your ego, and so pathetic that buying them is the only way for you to get them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

https://twitter.com/gdebenedetti/status/869669797478510592

I'm starting to pity the people in this district who have to be counting down the days until this ordeal is over.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

skylined! posted:

any relation to weird al? :allears:

Lol his twitter pic is the reverse of the one in that banner.

https://twitter.com/DavidYankovich/status/869637768397426691

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, like I said a couple of weeks ago:

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

enraged_camel posted:

Don't RT yourself

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

enraged_camel posted:

The bots might also be trying to push certain viewpoints from Trump in order to preempt the market response. I don't believe it's illegal to post articles online with the intent to influence the President.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

hanales posted:

Lol his twitter pic is the reverse of the one in that banner.

https://twitter.com/DavidYankovich/status/869637768397426691

well here's some lazy google-fu

https://davidyankovich.com/

The Pale King
Jan 21, 2011

Easy Salmon Recipe posted:

Imagine being the literal President of the United States of America

As oposed to the figurative one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

skylined! posted:

well here's some lazy google-fu

https://davidyankovich.com/

quote:

MEET DAVID
David Yankovich is a regular guy. He’s not rich. He’s not famous. He’s not a politician. He just recently moved to Wisconsin.
So why is he running to serve Wisconsin’s 1st Congressional District?
Because Paul Ryan needs to go.
David is one of the original voices of the Resistance against Paul Ryan and Donald Trump. His articles have been published by Huffington Post, Raw Story, and on his own website. Through his writing and social media, he became a nationally recognized progressive voice.

i gotta say this is not a great opening pitch

• Locked thread