Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Julio Cruz posted:

Oh, sorry, I'll change "dumb ESPN assholes" to "dumb ESPN and Twitter assholes", that better for you? (since I can't find any player who went on record as saying Bryce deserved it)

No it's not because here's what 5 seconds of googling revealed:

http://nypost.com/2015/09/28/baseball-brethren-bryce-harper-had-choke-coming/

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a...e-coming-092715

Bryce Harper is a polarizing figure, you're wrong, get over it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Well looks like we've finally found a player on Posey's side for not trying to restrain Harper. Albeit probably not for the best reason :v:

https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/869634680513081344
https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/869634844057382916
https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/869635698407723014

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Well if CJ loving Nitkowski found somebody to say "Bryce is a great player. He’s a true superstar. But he’s not above playing the game the right way. I’m glad someone finally told him that." in response to Jonathan Papelbon putting his hands around his neck, then I guess that settles it. And clearly all of baseball supports Paps, as evidenced by his still ongoing career as a relief pitcher.

The Unwritten Rules: They're actually Very Good!

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 30, 2017

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Buster Posey has a reconstructed ankle and was clearly none too keen about Harper getting plunked. Like hell he's gonna end up on the bottom of that pile. It was a smart move to counteract Strickland being an idiot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Spoeank posted:

Buster Posey has a reconstructed ankle and was clearly none too keen about Harper getting plunked.

Yeah, Posey even said in his postgame interview that he saw Harper's point in charging the mound.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
When he stands up you can almost hear the "golly jeepers strick whydya go and do that for"

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I noticed in the Harper brawl, before he got beaned he was slowly tapping his shoulder with the bat while in stance. Was this a lowkey taunt at Strickland?

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

Well if CJ loving Nitkowski found somebody to say "Bryce is a great player. He’s a true superstar. But he’s not above playing the game the right way. I’m glad someone finally told him that." in response to Jonathan Papelbon putting his hands around his neck, then I guess that settles it. And clearly all of baseball supports Paps, as evidenced by his still ongoing career as a relief pitcher.

The Unwritten Rules: They're actually Very Good!

Or it could be that he just sucked his last year in the league? At least two teams made him offers after he got released so that's another dumb point. Jesus you guys are having a real hard time with the idea that not everyone loves Bryce which I really didn't think was a controversial sentiment.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Explosionface posted:

I like Bryce

My man

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NiceGuy posted:

Or it could be that he just sucked his last year in the league? At least two teams made him offers after he got released so that's another dumb point. Jesus you guys are having a real hard time with the idea that not everyone loves Bryce which I really didn't think was a controversial sentiment.

Your only evidence that Bryce Harper is hated and a clubhouse pariah is unsourced bullshit "Play the game the right way" crap from noted hot-taker CJ Nitkowski. Of course not everybody like Harper but so far your reasons for personally disliking him have been loving laughably bad and stupid.

How do you feel about Jose Bautista or David Ortiz in terms of being polarizing figures?

EDIT: Oh wait you also called Manny Machado a "whiny bitch" for saying he could charge the mound next time the Red Sox throw at him, I forgot about that, I guess none of this is surprising.

EDIT2: Also I got Craptacular!'s original post about how Harper is "too alpha" confused with yours so yeah, some of this venom is really for him because that's an even worse reason.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 30, 2017

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
harper was right to charge the mound but wrong to call out his teammate in public for doing the thing he charged the mound for imo

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Inspector_666 posted:

Your only evidence that Bryce Harper is hated and a clubhouse pariah is unsourced bullshit "Play the game the right way" crap from noted hot-taker CJ Nitkowski.

How do you feel about Jose Bautista or David Ortiz in terms of being polarizing figures?

Again, never said that stupid-rear end-thing that you guys keep claiming I said. But don't worry, I too regard any articles that I disagree with to be fake news.

Like for real, what is the point you're trying to make with that? That because he's a lovely writer he must have made up like 10 or 12 quotes whole cloth? What the loving shocker, most players don't want to publicly come out against the literal face of the MLB.

edit: I apologize for the snark, I really do. I'm having a bad day. Can we all just drop this?

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Personally, I get a little scared when men are too alpha around me. Watching sports is a terrifying experience.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NiceGuy posted:

Again, never said that stupid-rear end-thing that you guys keep claiming I said. But don't worry, I too regard any articles that I disagree with to be fake news.

Like for real, what is the point you're trying to make with that? That because he's a lovely writer he must have made up like 10 or 12 quotes whole cloth? What the loving shocker, most players don't want to publicly come out against the literal face of the MLB.

You first claimed that there was a litany of tweets from MLBers against Harper, now we just have an article with quotes from "current and former" players, most of whom are defending what Papelbon did on the worst, shittiest, most stupid grounds.

I don't think Nitkowski made them up, but I think he only picked quotes, or at least sources who would give him soundbites like that. I don't give a single gently caress what somebody like Goose Gossage wants to bitch about "players these days", and I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of the people quoted in that article.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
You must have missed good old Latroy Hawkins then.

Like do you expect me to go trawling back 2 years to find a bunch of tweets about it? :lol: Twitter search ain't hard.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NiceGuy posted:

You must have missed good old Latroy Hawkins then.

The only named source and also he put the poo poo cherry on top with the dumb millennial bashing, too.

Honestly at this point I'm just mad at Nitkowski and the people who gave him quotes. gently caress their hazing-defending, unwritten rules-defending bullshit. That's a hill I'm willing to die on.

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
I was under the impression that Latroy was a Solid Dude™ so that's disappointing.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

NiceGuy posted:

edit: I apologize for the snark, I really do. I'm having a bad day. Can we all just drop this?

I think we're talking past each other a little bit here. It's certainly true that Harper has a reputation around various fanbases for being an arrogant jerk but I think what people are trying to argue is that that reputation is largely unearned and if you really try to interrogate the reasons why people who hate Harper do so they tend to be really flimsy / downright silly (too much eye black, lmao).

People have always thought this about him, even when he first got called up (see Cole Hamels plunking him for literally no reason) and didn't have any track record to point to beyond some lovely footage of him maybe blowing a kiss at a minor league pitcher one time. It's hard for me to really identify where the larger narrative around Harper crystalized as "talented jackass" but in my extremely biased opinion its mostly made up.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NiceGuy posted:

I was under the impression that Latroy was a Solid Dude™ so that's disappointing.

I'm pretty sure I've only heard good things, too.

Actually on The Fantasy And The Bust the other day they were telling a story about him in the booth saying somebody was "the worst teammate I ever had", and the other guys assumed he was joking and tried to laugh it off, but Latroy was like "No, I'm dead serious, he's the worst." which is actually hilarious.

Also my usual way of de-escalating baseball arguments is to just ask the other person "Hey, at least we can both agree that Boston sucks, right?" which I don't think will work here :v:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

Well looks like we've finally found a player on Posey's side for not trying to restrain Harper. Albeit probably not for the best reason :v:

https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/869634680513081344
https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/869634844057382916
https://twitter.com/670TheScore/status/869635698407723014

Are the Yankees done with the Cubs for the year? I'd be super entertained watching Arrieta try to take on Holliday or Judge.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I'm glad good baseball man Buster Posey is beating back against the tide of Cubs Mediocrity.
Likewise, I am pleased that Corey Seager is just barely holding off Addison "74 wRC+" Russell

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

ego symphonic posted:

I think we're talking past each other a little bit here. It's certainly true that Harper has a reputation around various fanbases for being an arrogant jerk but I think what people are trying to argue is that that reputation is largely unearned and if you really try to interrogate the reasons why people who hate Harper do so they tend to be really flimsy / downright silly (too much eye black, lmao).

People have always thought this about him, even when he first got called up (see Cole Hamels plunking him for literally no reason) and didn't have any track record to point to beyond some lovely footage of him maybe blowing a kiss at a minor league pitcher one time. It's hard for me to really identify where the larger narrative around Harper crystalized as "talented jackass" but in my extremely biased opinion its mostly made up.

Okay, yes, absolutely I can agree with all of this.

Inspector_666 posted:

Also my usual way of de-escalating baseball arguments is to just ask the other person "Hey, at least we can both agree that Boston sucks, right?" which I don't think will work here :v:

Dohhhhhhhhhh :argh:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Spoeank posted:

When he stands up you can almost hear the "golly jeepers strick whydya go and do that for"

Posey had the biggest shoulder shrug reaction that said it all. He even steps backwards from the plate.

"Yeah you deserve this"

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Likewise, I am pleased that Corey Seager is just barely holding off Addison "74 wRC+" Russell

MIF vote totals are completely insane, but at least the right people are still at #1 (I guess you could argue the corners, but the Cubs are definitely in the mix there.)

The Cub OF leaders are completely insane and indefensible though.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If I was as good as Bryce Harper at baseball I would cover my entire face in eye black.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Harper's got like the absolute bare minimum of ego for how good a player he is and how young he was a name. Like if you were being pegged as a superstar in your teens and you've yet to demand a TV special for your contract negotiations then you're still doing just fine.

But its also probably true that he gets away with a bravado that minority players don't always seem to. But like, haven't baseball fans long ago accepted the "athletic vs hustle vs firey" thing?

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice
Is there anything stopping someone from just wearing straight-up face paint? Maybe when he's on the Yankees he can rock the Crow/Sting look. Now that I could really get behind.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

NiceGuy posted:

Is there anything stopping someone from just wearing straight-up face paint? Maybe when he's on the Yankees he can rock the Crow/Sting look. Now that I could really get behind.

"Ok fine I'll shave. Unrelated: do you guys have a face paint policy?"

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Is Bryce Harper good enough to get away with black face? We may soon find out.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Inspector_666 posted:

MIF vote totals are completely insane, but at least the right people are still at #1 (I guess you could argue the corners, but the Cubs are definitely in the mix there.)

The Cub OF leaders are completely insane and indefensible though.
Anthony Rizzo currently has a 119 wRC+ on the year so yeah I'd say he shouldn't be "in the mix"

Freeman, Zimmerman, Goldshmidt and Votto should all be leagues ahead of him but ASG voting is impressively dumb so here we are.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

bawfuls posted:

Anthony Rizzo currently has a 119 wRC+ on the year so yeah I'd say he shouldn't be "in the mix"

Freeman, Zimmerman, Goldshmidt and Votto should all be leagues ahead of him but ASG voting is impressively dumb so here we are.

I would imagine Freeman's injury is really torpedoing his vote totals right now. Will he even be playing in time for the ASG?

It is completely ridiculous that Thames is there and Votto isn't, though. Why the hell do Reds fans not appreciate him?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

bawfuls posted:

Maybe I'm the dumbass here, but since when has the ASG been about performance in the first couple months of the given year instead of a mix of that and the second half/playoffs the year before?

Just for clarification: no, I don't think the Cubs deserve all the spots by virtue of being Cubs. (I just vote that way because I'm an irresponsible fan that shouldn't be in charge of this in the first place)

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I noticed in the Harper brawl, before he got beaned he was slowly tapping his shoulder with the bat while in stance. Was this a lowkey taunt at Strickland?

Nah, that's one of his habitual tics he always does, kind of like Zobrist's butter churning.

As a biased Nats fan, I'll be pretty pissed off if they hit Posey.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Rizzo is literally 10th in the NL in wRC+... Jesus Christ, I didn't realize it was that bad

Freeman
Zimmerman
Goldschmidt
Thames
Votto
Bour
Reynolds
Belt
Carpenter
Rizzo

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Spoeank posted:

Rizzo is literally 10th in the NL in wRC+... Jesus Christ, I didn't realize it was that bad

Freeman
Zimmerman
Goldschmidt
Thames
Votto
Bour
Reynolds
Belt
Carpenter
Rizzo

I actually didn't realize he was doing nearly that badly either, drat.

It's me, I am the problem.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Explosionface posted:

Maybe I'm the dumbass here, but since when has the ASG been about performance in the first couple months of the given year instead of a mix of that and the second half/playoffs the year before?

Just for clarification: no, I don't think the Cubs deserve all the spots by virtue of being Cubs. (I just vote that way because I'm an irresponsible fan that shouldn't be in charge of this in the first place)

ASG voting means different things to different people, it's one of the reasons why selecting players by popular vote is incredibly dumb. You've got "best player so far this season", "best player in recent memory", "best player for their career", "player who deserves to be an All-Star at least once", "player who's on my team", etc etc.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know the #1 thing I take into consideration is wRC+ well spamming 5 votes per day to see Kyle Schwarber bumble around in left field during the ASG.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Explosionface posted:

I would vote this way if there was an easy way to sort leaderboards by "since last year's ASG" on Fangraphs but alas there is not. At this point in the season "last 1 calendar year" is pretty close I guess? (btw if you do that the answer for NL 1B is still Freeman, Votto, Goldy before Rizzo so lol)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Freeman
Zimmerman
Goldschmidt
Thames
Votto
Bour
Reynolds
Belt
Carpenter
Rizzo

He'd be 11th if Duda had 50 more PAs (and didn't go into a massive slump during that period).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

https://twitter.com/AmyGGiants/status/869680873074860032

strickland deserved more. Harper's is fine

• Locked thread