Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah, the boat is a pretty high stakes gamble. since you only require 2 parts to make it work, you can get it working a lot more reasonably in a lot of situations. it also starts up more quietly than the car, which kicks off a map-wide audio alert. unlike the car though, god help you if jason shows up while you're on your way out. at least with the car you can hope to blast him with a shotgun and get the drat thing started again. with the boat you're five flavors of hosed.

that said i don't fancy my chances to sneak for 20 full minutes even as AJ, so i'd probably chance it if i thought jason was suitably distracted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

This guy gets it.

The Chad waits for no man.

e: 2 and 3 Jasons swim at human speed. Boat escapes are possible against them.

I just went against canon.... I followed 2 people to the boat, they assembled it, and I stunned the Jason that met us there. We couldn't get into the boat because all 3 of us were mashing the button. I got in first, and wait for the others, and while doing so Jason had gotten up and grabbed me out of the boat and decap'd me.

Never again.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I spent an entire round talking in the third person as The Chad and being the most smary rich rear end in a top hat I could be over voice; I made comments about the commoners clothing, comments about having to drive in the peasent wagon they called a car as I drove off alone, how they had to go to a bug infested swamp camp while me and my parents had recently returned from Monaco. The following round Jason was teleporting to other counselors but wouldn't attack, only wanting to know where The Chad was located. I was the first to die

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I spent an entire round talking in the third person as The Chad and being the most smary rich rear end in a top hat I could be over voice; I made comments about the commoners clothing, comments about having to drive in the peasent wagon they called a car as I drove off alone, how they had to go to a bug infested swamp camp while me and my parents had recently returned from Monaco. The following round Jason was teleporting to other counselors but wouldn't attack, only wanting to know where The Chad was located. I was the first to die

oh christ i honestly just laughed out loud

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Most the Chad's I see do surprisingly well considering their garbage tier stats. That 10 luck really does do something mysterious, or perhaps it's just the subconscious confidence of being Chad.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I'm trying to learn how to play a good Buzzguy / defender role. But I absolutely suck at any type of melee encounter with Jason.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Aww man, I had the battery and keys for a fueled up car, and I was getting next to the car when our game crashed....

I WAS GONNA GO FULL CHAD TOO :(

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Most the Chad's I see do surprisingly well considering their garbage tier stats. That 10 luck really does do something mysterious, or perhaps it's just the subconscious confidence of being Chad.

Chad could start the game in Jason's cabin and if you're playing Chad right you'd have the confidence to run away and dive through glass into a house with 4 people, ask one for health spray, then when Jason shows up right behind you, you slowly crawl through the only window just to make sure everyone behind you dies.

That's Chad, baby.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I'm trying to learn how to play a good Buzzguy / defender role. But I absolutely suck at any type of melee encounter with Jason.

i've found it to be the absolute hardest thing in the game so far. the lack of a way to defend against a grab is what nails me every time. if you get a jason that is willing to swing his weapon at you, you can generally win a skirmish or two by just blocking and dodging. you'll need a first aid spray afterward, but there are enough of those in bathrooms that it's generally not a big problem unless you're doing consistent brawling.

the grab is a real problem, though, since it can nail you from way further away than you think on a bad day, and even with high strength, decent composure, full health, and nearly full stamina (a fresh Adam) jason can sometimes pull out a kill move in under a second, so you have zero time to struggle or respond.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

BillBear posted:

The boat is honestly the worst escape route, I'll rather wait out the night than use it because you are 100% screwed with how fast some Jasons are in the water.

And that's without morph. There's also the fact you can't see Jason underwater and that when he whacks the boat, you both fall out and are super vulnerable in the water where you can't fight back in any way and could be miles away from land. It's bad.

You can see Jason underwater, he shows up as a dim red light but it's hard to see. At full tilt I believe the boat outruns most Jasons in the water though.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Argh, really sucked on my first time as Jason. Only managed to kill one counsellor, and ended up in a Benny Hill situation chasing a counsellor around a table where I couldn't catch up with her but she couldn't get away!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Ultimate Chad move

Soylent Green
Oct 29, 2004
It's people

Hockles posted:

Aww man, I had the battery and keys for a fueled up car, and I was getting next to the car when our game crashed....

I WAS GONNA GO FULL CHAD TOO :(

We would have all been out of there already but the kid with the first battery just refused to put it in the car!

The Xbox version does seem particularly crash heavy, less than half our games have made it all the way to the end. Hopefully that patch comes out soon and you can Chad us to your hearts content.

Olesh
Aug 4, 2008

Why did the circus close?

A long, chilling list of animal rights violations.

Coolguye posted:

actually speaking of traps, do we know how to handle the fuckers short of stepping in it like a dork and using a first aid spray afterward

You can disarm them with a pocketknife (crouch near the trap to get the prompt), assuming you're lucky enough to have one, but more than likely you'll just have to have someone sacrifice themselves and summon Jason.

My biggest pet peeve with this game is that trapping the car/fuse box are incredibly optimal uses of bear traps to the point where spending traps on anything else is a waste. As Jason, I refuse to do this as a general rule, because the traps are completely unavoidable when placed in these specific spots - you can't put in the battery or the gas can two feet to the side - and if you don't have a pocketknife, your only option is intentionally triggering it.

I think it's too easy to use traps to render the phone box/car practically unusable, doubly so since Jason probably has more traps than you have pocketknives. And he can simply put more traps down after you've disarmed them, meaning that you can't even reasonably sacrifice counselors at the altar of the bear trap to ensure other counselors have a chance to stun him and hastily fix the car/start the engine and drive off.

Maybe the "balance" will shift as more people get perks - if every counselor started with a pocketknife, trapping the car would be a lot less effective. For now, I just don't think it's fun as Jason or as a counselor.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Dr. VooDoo posted:

This post deserves some kind prize for nonfiction writing tbh.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

This game has no business being as much fun as it is. There are so many things about it that I should hate, and I do hate in other games, the clunky combat, hanging up on geometry, the reliance on voice-comms, and other human beings, but I don't hate them in this game, I love them. This game evokes so many emotions in any given round; I feel anxious, then I feel excitement, then paranoia, followed by dread, then a spark of hope, dashed by the terror of a jump scare, the relief and pride of an amazing escape, the pulse pounding worry of will I have enough stamina to make it to safety, and the release and joy when you finally make it out alive.

Or the vicious glee I feel when murdering every last counselor and Tommy despite their frantic attempts to survive.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Just got the game, getting a headset tomorrow.

Could I get added to the Xbox One group? XBLive tag is Bawb540

Unbalanced
Sep 29, 2005

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Run over another player in the car before you escape, then in the lobby afterwards proclaim you were glad you weren't driving Mumsy's Mercedes as Jeeves would have had to clean the viscera out of the grill. You only want to be fashionably late to the wine mixer Leopold is throwing the next evening, after all.

Nicaden
Feb 17, 2012
Is the Preparedness perk bugged or something? It's supposed to give you a large map at the start of each round but I'm not getting anything at all.

Does it increase the minimal size or something? Haven't noticed a difference.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Does the Xbox version of this still have issues? My friends and I are trying to decide if we should get this or not.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Spacebump posted:

Does the Xbox version of this still have issues? My friends and I are trying to decide if we should get this or not.

There's still issues on every platform, but the game is so fun to play when it works that it's kinda worth it. This is definitely the kind of game where the first month is gonna be way more fun than any time afterwards.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ultimate Chad move

If there was only a way in this day and age where we could capture direct footage from games...

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
For the record

Fair warning for any future Chads that I am Jason against

I will not be grabbing you anymore. as I have discovered in my own Chadding, The Chad finds roughly infinitely more pocket knives than any other player ever.

From now on, The Chad, I will only drown and or beat you to death with whatever weapon I may be carrying.

I trust you to do the same.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

s.i.r.e. posted:

If there was only a way in this day and age where we could capture direct footage from games...

Yes, I could do the 18 steps to go from a PS4 to the forums, or just 2 steps to use imgur.

Sorry the simple photo of 2 sets of keys isn't as laborious and ultra HD as you seem to need it to be.

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's the ultimate Cha though. Showing off his picture quality of his mobile phone, which is the latest model.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yes, I could do the 18 steps to go from a PS4 to the forums, or just 2 steps to use imgur.

Sorry the simple photo of 2 sets of keys isn't as laborious and ultra HD as you seem to need it to be.

lol

Snatch Duster posted:

It's the ultimate Cha though. Showing off his picture quality of his mobile phone, which is the latest model.

This is a good response.

Also people are buying the Tom Savini Jason skin on eBay for hundreds of dollars, Christ.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Snatch Duster posted:

Seriously, Chubs. No one cares about your loving computer.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
I just have to say that I enjoyed that first goon group Jason kill attempt where Jason went through SIX chads but Tommy never came

gently caress chad, indeed.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Nicaden posted:

Is the Preparedness perk bugged or something? It's supposed to give you a large map at the start of each round but I'm not getting anything at all.

Does it increase the minimal size or something? Haven't noticed a difference.
Most or possibly all of them don't work for the PC.

Looks like a Tuesday.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 31, 2017

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Currently part of a gang of 6 chads 🤘🏿

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have a lot of fun being anti-Chad, aka Adam. Cool enough under pressure to survive a long time and good enough with repairs to pull my weight, PLUS enough strength and speed to throw myself at Jason and use my death to distract him as canon demands. Adam doesn't even want to escape, he thinks this whole Jason thing is bullshit.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Scalding Coffee posted:

Looks like a Tuesday.
Yuuuuuup.

Had a match where someone had Austin Powers the car on the bridge leading to the cops, completely blocking it (probably Chad). Jason was doing his best attempt at breakdancing while he waited for me, the final survivor.

The game awarded me the escape despite being totally unable to run past the car in the cutscene. Best compliment I've gotten so far is Jason saying he spent 90% of the match trying to figure out where I was while everyone else died.

edit: worst glitch I've gotten so far was spawning as Tommy for the first time to a totally black screen, unable to walk or turn. I could fire my gun, which I did to attract Jason over. We had a friendly chat about bugs while he cooked me alive.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Basebf555 posted:

There's still issues on every platform, but the game is so fun to play when it works that it's kinda worth it. This is definitely the kind of game where the first month is gonna be way more fun than any time afterwards.

Yes, there are hiccups with connecting every once in a while but when you get a solid game going its a lot more fun than I expected.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I think I just had the best Counselor moment of my life: I was the goth chick, we'd just fixed the car and Jason kept hounding the three of us. We eventually managed to get the car going ,but Jason stopped us several times. Somehow he wasn't able to kill any of us, with each attempt by him resulting in us playing ring around the rosie with his lumbering rear end. Right before the exit,he was able the grab our driver (Chad). I quickly hopped in and drove off with the other person while Chad was screaming "gently caress YOU YOU MOTHERFUCKER!"
Basically, I was able to out-Chad Chad, my proudest moment so far. Besides finally getting the Birdbath kill.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

After playing a round with several people who could not speak/understand the same language, I kind of want a mode where everyone's chat is filtered to Sim-speak or some other gibberish where you can understand emotions but not context.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Grey Fox posted:

After playing a round with several people who could not speak/understand the same language, I kind of want a mode where everyone's chat is filtered to Sim-speak or some other gibberish where you can understand emotions but not context.

playing this game with mouthy russians is one of the most magical times i've ever had playing a video game.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

I have a lot of fun being anti-Chad, aka Adam. Cool enough under pressure to survive a long time and good enough with repairs to pull my weight, PLUS enough strength and speed to throw myself at Jason and use my death to distract him as canon demands. Adam doesn't even want to escape, he thinks this whole Jason thing is bullshit.

Peasant. Go fix my boat!

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Ultimate Chad move

Nah, he doesn't have the phone fuse with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

What determines how fast a particular execution becomes available when you're playing Jason? Whenever I'm Jason it seems like they are greyed out forever, giving people plenty of opportunity to break free, but I just played against a Jason that seemed to be able to insta-gib everyone he grabbed.

• Locked thread