Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Probably just psyching himself up to do the Perfect Zeong when it comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinde
Mar 19, 2009
So my fiancée took my Mega-Size Gundam shield to Acen this past weekend and got it signed by Amuro's voice actor, Toru Furuya.

Needless to say, I'm stoked, but I'm a bit concerned about how to preserve it. It's written right onto the plastic (The Mega-Size was a straight-build with panel-lining) with permanent marker, so I'm wondering if coating it with any sort of clear-coat would work. Suggestions?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Isn't there a spray on coating most people do for professional builds? You could use that.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
A gloss topcoat will do the job just fine. Just make sure you apply it over multiple coats and apply it thinly to prevent any risk of having the marker bleed.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Do a test with marker and a different piece of plastic before your do anything with the signed piece

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Do a test with marker and a different piece of plastic before your do anything with the signed piece

This is the right answer.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

slightpirate posted:

whatever happened to that goon that was working on the mechanicore Deep Striker? Are they ok? or were they buried under spent runners and rattle cans?

goddamn those mechanicore kits look cool but I don't have the time to paint and detail all of that.

Paint? What's paint, precious?

Now panel lining and decals, those I have for days.

Seriously though, I'm kind of hitting a historic low. I might be getting downsized out of a job for the second time in six months, in this case for a job I moved a few states over for, and I was dealing with some pretty heavy depression before that news hit. Now I'm somewhere with no support structure, stress, and depression all together with no job prospects. Posting is about all I have energy for :v:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Sorry to hear that buddy. Getting made redundant sucks, the last 3 jobs I was in the same thing happened to me.

Just know that there is support and help lines out there in the world, don't be afraid to use them. Often just talking about things helps a long way, even if it's just putting together a plan.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

that thing is the size of a small child :stare:

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Seriously though, I'm kind of hitting a historic low. I might be getting downsized out of a job for the second time in six months, in this case for a job I moved a few states over for, and I was dealing with some pretty heavy depression before that news hit. Now I'm somewhere with no support structure, stress, and depression all together with no job prospects. Posting is about all I have energy for :v:
That's terrible, I'm sure you will land on your feet but don't hesitate to feel bad about it and vent if needed. Sorry to hear.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/?iid=26229...1&crdt=0&chn=ps

Is this the right synylrez stuff people recommended before?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Stay strong friend! At least your baby there doesn't need feeding! I hope everything will all work out.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

EthanSteele posted:

Never seen that label before. This is the stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Air-Brush-SNR-410-Stynylrez-Polyurethane/dp/B00K3KGUME

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Thanks! Managed to find it for only twice the US price, hell yea what a good island to have paint on. Trying to figure out a solution for mass spraying when I'm priming and base coating instead of wasting a lot on small bits. I'm pretty sure just puttin em on a bit of maskin tape on some cardboard and then flipping them over will do it.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

EthanSteele posted:

Ultimate Primer is rebranded Stynylrez

https://www.umpretail.com/blogs/news/93194566-ultimate-primer-is-here

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Zedd posted:

That's terrible, I'm sure you will land on your feet but don't hesitate to feel bad about it and vent if needed. Sorry to hear.

Thanks, but honestly, the thing that really breaks my balls is that I got this two jobs ago for a promotion I got that promised me advancement in the field from being a bottom rung cubicle jockey.

There's a certain sad irony to that.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've been putting together the RG Gold Frame, and I've noticed two things. The Gold Frame has a ridiculous head, and more Gundams need spears

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Guy Goodbody posted:

I've been putting together the RG Gold Frame, and I've noticed two things. The Gold Frame has a ridiculous head, and more Gundams need spears

GM Striker. And the Thunderbolt Ground Type.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

THIS ISN'T EVEN MY FINAL FORM

Yeah, its final form involves me buying a goddamn spotlight because my regular room lamp turns everything super yellow and the tiny work light you see there lights up like a quarter of the kit, so my only option is a dark room and the flash on, which looks bad. Just not as bad as the other options.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arcsquad12 posted:

GM Striker. And the Thunderbolt Ground Type.

GM Striker has a bident, not a spear

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's like a double spear so it's better

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's like a double spear so it's better

And it can function as a beam scythe, for when you need to harvest giant heavily armored wheat!

Sazabi
Feb 15, 2014

A-MA-ZON!!

Mordja posted:

Haha, oh, don't worry I'm prepared for that very real eventuality, even got a list planned out for what I hope to grab in the future. Just not sure if the Duel AS is a good kit or whether the shroud's gonna be falling off all the time.

I assume you got the MG if so, then I will vouch for everything but the skirt. Holds on well. The leg assault shroud armor hold on amazingly well with zero pegs. And the regular Blitz is a solid sturdy suit that feels generic but looks unique.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Third party gunpla news inbound!

First is Iron Bear's 1/100 Kshatriya, which uses the Neo Grade 1/100 resin kit as its design base: http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2017/05/iron-bear-1100-kshatriya.html

Secondly, Daban is going Metal Build again with a MG of Astray Gold Frame Amatsu Mina: https://www.facebook.com/stationwensinii/photos/a.1711746142187212.1073742866.527152043979967/1711746558853837/?type=3&theater

Lastly, Dragon Momoko's Testament Gundam is out in the wild and GMC have already gone through two loads of stock. I'd recommend getting it now rather than trying to later: http://www.gundammodelcenter.com/dragon-momoko-gundam-central-testament-model-kit

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So it's not exactly gunpla related but I can't really think of a better place for it so gently caress it.

https://twitter.com/gond_7/status/861277839106072576

Oh look, someone's making an artbook out of my deepest, darkest kitbash and custom build wet dreams.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

So it's not exactly gunpla related but I can't really think of a better place for it so gently caress it.

https://twitter.com/gond_7/status/861277839106072576

Oh look, someone's making an artbook out of my deepest, darkest kitbash and custom build wet dreams.

Nice rack on Anubis there. :wtc:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Yeah but who cares about not-Anubis there when you have all those guns, and missiles, and shields and :h:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

TaurusOxford posted:

Third party gunpla news inbound!

First is Iron Bear's 1/100 Kshatriya, which uses the Neo Grade 1/100 resin kit as its design base: http://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2017/05/iron-bear-1100-kshatriya.html

I know what I'm ordering as soon as it comes out.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I want that Kshatriya very badly.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Ok so my plan of layin bits out didn't go so well because they mostly just got blown about! How do you lot spray pieces en masse? And whats a decent airbrush that's easy to disassemble for dunking in a jewelry washing thing?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Skewers with alligator clips stuck in Styrofoam or strips of cardboard taped in a big block.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Cardboard block yes! Just ordered some clips because I've had skewers forever. Hopefully it'll make mounting stuff less of a chore. Now I just need the easiest of easy clean airbrushes.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

Cardboard block yes! Just ordered some clips because I've had skewers forever. Hopefully it'll make mounting stuff less of a chore. Now I just need the easiest of easy clean airbrushes.

I've never had good luck just spraying a bunch of parts without picking them up; there's always going to be an angle that you can't reach because another part is in the way. The block makes it easier to keep organized, just go left to right while plucking, spraying, and putting them back in to dry.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Granted this has only been with a rattle can for priming and some of the larger parts I didn't want to hand paint, but I made a ring out of super thick cardboard and basically turn the ring around to cover all the pieces that are stuck in it.

Then rotate them 180 degrees and finish off the opposite side.

As long as the ring isnt huge in diameter it should get close to 100% coverage with anything that may need a touch up gets done individually.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
That could work too. I mostly just feel that I'm using way more paint that necessary doing the individual pieces thought thats probably terrible technique more than anything.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
With a rattle can definitely, but with a fine nozzled airbrush probably less so.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Welp I picked up the neo zeong psycho shard for 40 bucks at a con.

I now have no choice but to actually buy that monster kit now.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Finally got some time to work on finishing up painting and gloss topcoating my synthwave Hyakuri, only to find that somewhere along the way I lost one of the hip joint parts. Fortunately, someone has a junker he's sending me.

Some sneak peeks:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Looks great, I like the head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Puddin posted:

With a rattle can definitely, but with a fine nozzled airbrush probably less so.

Yeah it could be that my expectations are all wrong. 75-80% of a pot of Vallejo model air for 1.5 HGs in that colou sound about rightr? 1.5 as in one where it's 90% of the robot's surface and one where its about half. I think I've definitely got better about it, I remember 20 drops of mix getting me about 10 tiny pieces done, where as now that'll do almost two full HG legs.