Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Yeah, Pauper has the nuts for cantripping. The point is more that Serum Visions is a card so bad that it's playable only when every cantrip you would willingly put in your deck is banned.

I suppose I do feel you on the incidentally milling your only copy of a critical land though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I'm playing the 4-color Death's Shadow deck because it's everything I've ever wanted in a deck. It's the Jundiest Jund deck to ever Jund, it has a 1-mana unconditional counterspell, and it can sideboard like a toolbox deck thanks to Traverse.

I have all the pieces for the Grixis version but I've got a lot of Valakut and Prime Time decks in my area and Traversing for a Ghost Quarter or Fulminator Mage seems good.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
What are some of the best strategies against all of these hyper-efficient Delver/Death's Shadow type of decks? It seems like resilience to discard is the key element.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Smashing Link posted:

What are some of the best strategies against all of these hyper-efficient Delver/Death's Shadow type of decks? It seems like resilience to discard is the key element.

Lots of removal, able to go late, and yeah resilient to discard effects. Basically you also play Jund, Abzan, or Grixis but instead of Death's Shadows you play more removal with 3-4 CMC creatures and/or planeswalkers.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!

Smashing Link posted:

Graveyard hate seemed to prevent flashback tricks with Snapcaster Mage and made Tasigur impossible to play in a timely manner.

I want to say that Chalice of the Void would hinder Death's Shadow quite a bit, but Abrupt Decay and Kolighan's Command will just laugh you out of the room.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

ThePeavstenator posted:

Lots of removal, able to go late, and yeah resilient to discard effects. Basically you also play Jund, Abzan, or Grixis but instead of Death's Shadows you play more removal with 3-4 CMC creatures and/or planeswalkers.

Hmm we need a sweeper card that has the wording "if an opponent forces you to discard ~ instead it gains suspend and put 2 time counters on it". That would be good against all these drat weenies.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm playing the 4-color Death's Shadow deck because it's everything I've ever wanted in a deck. It's the Jundiest Jund deck to ever Jund, it has a 1-mana unconditional counterspell, and it can sideboard like a toolbox deck thanks to Traverse.

I have all the pieces for the Grixis version but I've got a lot of Valakut and Prime Time decks in my area and Traversing for a Ghost Quarter or Fulminator Mage seems good.

Which lists are you using for this?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The Shortest Path posted:

Which lists are you using for this?

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-death-s-shadow-aggro-32571#paper

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Yeah but I'm debating on if I should try to also get a forest in there as a second basic.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Sickening posted:

You haven't haven't had a bad land mill with thought scour yet then? Its statically a low chance of happening and you do have 7 lands in total that actually produce mana, but getting boned does happen. Mix in a few ghost quarters and the like and it does indeed get frustrating. Its balanced by the god hands that produce early 5 toughness butts against burn and the like.

Its just a irrational issue I have with grixis. The decks power can't be ignored.

(Doesn't pauper also have some pretty amazing 1 mana cantrips that modern doesn't? Seems like a terrible comparison.)

Good players thought scour their opponent pretty often for that exact reason.

Also yea pauper has brainstorm/ponder/preordain so i dont get that comparison either.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

little munchkin posted:

Huh? Only if they've manipulated the top of their deck in some way. Or kept it the same, in the case of Scrying.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
I used to thought scour my opponent a lot in my mill deck :v:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I always Thought Scour my opponent. You never know, you could mill their planeswalker!

:hurr:

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

glimpse the unthinkable->surgical extraction :unsmigghh:

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land

little munchkin posted:

Also yea pauper has brainstorm/ponder/preordain so i dont get that comparison either.

Do they?

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
I thought I was missing something with the Jund DS deck as I couldn't understand why people were playing it over the Grixis version.

Seems people have caught up now. It should make the Birmingham GP interesting in August as it is deceptively hard to play and easy to beat if your opponent does not known how to play it. I guess I'll be taking burn :)

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I seriously doubt that very trying to mill both of their remaining lands that can produce a particular color while also running the much bigger risk of drawing them 2 real cards (and ramping them by 2 while doing it) is actually a good play. But YMMV obviously.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

gwrtheyrn posted:

glimpse the unthinkable->surgical extraction :unsmigghh:

This but unironically. Also I'm undefeated in matches vs Death's Shadow decks on Mill.

1-0 :v:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Every modern deck that isn't a linear combo or tron-like deck should probably be running 3-4 Surgical Extraction in the sideboard for DS decks. Seriously, those decks run maybe 6 - 9 threats in the entire 75, and if you hit their first Goyf or DS with Surgical, you basically half their chance of killing you regardless of how do-nothing your other cards may be.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AlternateNu posted:

Every modern deck that isn't a linear combo or tron-like deck should probably be running 3-4 Surgical Extraction in the sideboard for DS decks. Seriously, those decks run maybe 6 - 9 threats in the entire 75, and if you hit their first Goyf or DS with Surgical, you basically half their chance of killing you regardless of how do-nothing your other cards may be.

If you have no other sideboard options, fine. Seems like a pretty bad option against a deck that lands a threat and then shits on your surgicals in hand.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

If you're not bringing in Surgicals against the extremely redundant, non-linear, extremely grindy deck I don't know what you'd even bring them in against tbh.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
Also I got loving destroyed by martyr proc at a 3k over the weekend. loving ruined. How do you interact with the deck if they have a martyr and a mana open?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Sickening posted:

If you have no other sideboard options, fine. Seems like a pretty bad option against a deck that lands a threat and then shits on your surgicals in hand.

Except the decks I'm saying should run it already run 10 - 20 ways to get that first creature in the grave, so not really.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

What if we play 4 Thought Scour and always target them and mill their Death's Shadows THEN Surgical them?

Edit: Actually it should be Archive Trap so we have a turn 0, 0 mana instant win in response to their Thoughtseize.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 31, 2017

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

ThePeavstenator posted:

Yeah but I'm debating on if I should try to also get a forest in there as a second basic.

A second question here, should I run any Mistys or Breeding Pools or should every fetch be able to get a swamp?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Mezzanon posted:

Also I got loving destroyed by martyr proc at a 3k over the weekend. loving ruined. How do you interact with the deck if they have a martyr and a mana open?

I beat Proc with Bogles once because I just got bigger than the life they were gaining every turn.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

C-Euro posted:

This but unironically. Also I'm undefeated in matches vs Death's Shadow decks on Mill.

1-0 :v:

I wasn't joking either. Surgical is a great card when your game plan is milling your opponent

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Mezzanon posted:

If this is the one in Red Deer like I think it is I had a swarm of buddies there playing (and one judging). One of them landed 3rd/4th which was rad.

As for dealing with Martyr decks: don't be playing red. Hard removal (Terminate, Path, etc.) is the only thing that gets their 6/6 one drops if they draw a good grip that can drop a fat 6/6 on T2. Some decks just can't handle that, though.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

I beat Proc with Bogles once because I just got bigger than the life they were gaining every turn.

I get that. My opponent opened with T1 flagstones, T2 float mana, second flagstones, crucible of worlds.

Then ramped up to 8 mana with 2 ghostly prison on the board

I think the line I should have taken was just keep activating my Gavony township with my giant hexproof board and just let him naturally mill out?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

suicidesteve posted:

What if we play 4 Thought Scour and always target them and mill their Death's Shadows THEN Surgical them?

Edit: Actually it should be Archive Trap so we have a turn 0, 0 mana instant win in response to their Thoughtseize.

Oh Steve I love it when you talk dirty like that :bigtran:

I'm actually going to Modern night this Friday after missing the previous two, was planning to take RG Breach since it's been a few months but now I kinda want to roll Mill some more.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 31, 2017

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

AlternateNu posted:

The versions with green also have Goyfs and a full playset of Traverse to find other theats, and the Grixis builds have Tasigur / Angler plus Snapcasters. Both versions are very grindy and put a lot of pressure on resources so if you are 0-for-1'ing yourself against them it might just make you lose the game the old fashioned way.

These are not some one-wincon combo decks that literally stop functioning if you extract a piece.

EDIT: this is basically like boarding in Surgicals to take the Goyfs out of regular Jund.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 31, 2017

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

^^^ Well it's not as fun when you explain why Surgical is absolutely terrible against a midrange deck.

Mezzanon posted:

I get that. My opponent opened with T1 flagstones, T2 float mana, second flagstones, crucible of worlds.

Uhhhhhh they probably couldn't have done that.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Yeah the Plains you get off of Flagstones come into play tapped.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Mezzanon posted:

suicidesteve posted:

Uhhhhhh they probably couldn't have done that.

Yeah, the only way I see that working is with getting Amulet of Vigor out on T1. And I'm guessing that isn't played in the deck in question.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

TheMaestroso posted:

Yeah, the only way I see that working is with getting Amulet of Vigor out on T1. And I'm guessing that isn't played in the deck in question.

Spirit Guide works too and is slightly more likely, like .1% instead of 0.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mikujin posted:

If this is the one in Red Deer like I think it is I had a swarm of buddies there playing (and one judging). One of them landed 3rd/4th which was rad.

As for dealing with Martyr decks: don't be playing red. Hard removal (Terminate, Path, etc.) is the only thing that gets their 6/6 one drops if they draw a good grip that can drop a fat 6/6 on T2. Some decks just can't handle that, though.

Yeah that's the one! I started 4-1 then went to a loving shameful 4-4. I was on bant spirits.

One of our teammates top 16'd, we were the guys in the purple Untapped Potential shirts.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

TheMaestroso posted:

More likely option: it actually happened on T3 and I misremembered because up until Sunday I was only barely aware that the deck existed. I had to read several of his cards

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Smashing Link posted:

The card Spellstutter Sprite is very good against Deaths Shadow decks.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 22 minutes!
I'm going to live in a fantasy world where Great Sable Stag is a reasonable counter to Death's Shadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Faeries is actually really good against Deaths Shadow, though. Sprite is amazing against a hyper efficient deck, AV is a card advantage spell that gets under discard semifrequently, all your removal is amazing, and you only need a couple attacks to kill em. Lingering Souls builds are somewhat more challenging, but even then they're never packing a playset so you're pretty much fine.