Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
toei puts out a lot of cheap crap but they do also have a few talented staff who make some really good looking poo poo whenever they're given the opportunity. tiger mask w was off to a really rough start and it got a nice boost in discussion early on thanks entirely to episode 4 having a couple of their best staff and as a result being a legit great, stylish and flashy episode. one of the best directors in the industry right now got her debut directing a precure movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the biggest issue with cg is cutting frames, which of a stylistic choice anime producers are making to mimic 2d animation but it just looks like rear end. the models themselves look fine when they're meant to be main characters (background and crowd stuff is a different story).

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I like kiss my moon's cg

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Hell yeah, more weird Marvel kid's anime!

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think the appropriate reaction is anything other than hell yeah, actually

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

H*ck yeah

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think the appropriate reaction is anything other than hell yeah, actually

I disagree.

hell yeah

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So, speaking of lovely, samey, budget anime... I'm quite impressed at how good the "average" show is this season, compared to most.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

im not cause this season sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Davincie posted:

im not cause this season sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i said i was only watching one show this season and you told me there were more shows worth checking out wtf

i cant believe u dav

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Why do I see this potentially failing as badly as Universal Studio's Dark Universe?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

The Colonel posted:

i said i was only watching one show this season and you told me there were more shows worth checking out wtf

i cant believe u dav

4 shows dont make a season

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Grouchio posted:

Why do I see this potentially failing as badly as Universal Studio's Dark Universe?

If it's what I'm thinking if it already had one season, that goons liked ironically.

I think it was the first season after zorak died, i feel polsy has the deets

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it was marvel disk wars and adtrw goon homeless snail streamed it recently and came away saying not to watch it

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Marvel Disk Wars was about some kids who got pogs that let them summon the Avengers like Pokemon, right? This thing is about kids who get super powers and join the Avengers. Which seems like a much more marketable premise, imo

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Davincie posted:

i count 14 though

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
The only thing I remember from Marvel Disk Wars is that in like episode 1 or 2? There's a loving amazing zoom-in on Spider-man's mask face as his Spider Senses tingle.

It's been ages since so that shot might not be quite as funny as I remember it being.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Davincie posted:

one show can make a season as long as it's good enough

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Davincie posted:

Sherlock has a bone to pick with you.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

The season had shows I have consistently enjoyed ergo it is a success for me

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Only Bahamut and My Hero Academy have been consistently great in my opinion. Re Creators has a great premise but it's story structure's a real mess. I stopped watching LWA before April. I don't think there's been anything else.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

list of good shows this season:

*lots of stuff here*

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Nobunaga no Shinobi is still good

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

I've been watching Sakura Quest, Alice & Zoroku, and WorldEnd, all of which are good but not great. SQ feels too unfocused, Alice has a really weird season structured, and WorldEnd is generic LN fare.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

having watched the first two eps of the first season i feel confident in saying this will be poo poo

it took them a whole hour to set up getting their stupid toys!!!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

There's new Natsume and Eccentric Family so this season is good.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Erg posted:

having watched the first two eps of the first season i feel confident in saying this will be poo poo

it took them a whole hour to set up getting their stupid toys!!!

This is a completely different series without a toy gimmick, and it's by Madhouse, so it won't be a bunch of still frames.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Just to clarify, this is going to be bad, but it'll be a kind of bad I dig.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

This is a completely different series without a toy gimmick, and it's by Madhouse, so it won't be a bunch of still frames.

Well, there'll be less still frames. The last few Madhouse Marvel shows were OK visually, but I don't remember them being serious animation powerhouses.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Yes, I am very much tempering my expectations but anything is better than Toei.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

an actual dog posted:

There's new Natsume and Eccentric Family so this season is good.

Is Natsume worth watching? I checked out the first episode from season one and it seemed a bit dull. The opening practically lulled me to sleep.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

There Bias Two posted:

Is Natsume worth watching? I checked out the first episode from season one and it seemed a bit dull. The opening practically lulled me to sleep.

Natsume being relaxing and chill is a feature, not a bug.

Occasionally there's a youkai that's actually set on eating someone but most of the time it's just him politely solving problems.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For a series ostensibly built on being relaxing and the feels I found the first season to be neither (just boring, the bad kind not the Non Non Biyori kind) and never went beyond that.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I adore Natsume, for reasons I outlined in its thread OP. Depending on the episode, it can be chill, melancholy, or silly. It's pretty much always paced pretty methodically, but I've only found it boring for a bare handful of the weakest eps.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nate RFB posted:

For a series ostensibly built on being relaxing and the feels I found the first season to be neither (just boring, the bad kind not the Non Non Biyori kind) and never went beyond that.

It gave me the impression that it was trying to go for the same sort of relaxing feel as Mushishi, but failed miserably at it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i bounced off the first episode of Natsume a while back, but pushing past that more recently i found the show very enjoyable. i wouldn't say it's big on feels (maybe three stories in that first season hit), but it's definitely laid back and an easy watch. i like its angle on yokai where they have personalities and are characters in the story, contrasting with something like mushishi where they're basically afflictions. the biggest downside is that it seems like a show that really needs more than the first season to judge off of. there are hints of interesting relationships between natsume and natori or tanuma, but these are only introduced in season 1. same for natsume dealing with his grandmother's legacy.

that said, i get the feeling it'll be worth my or anybody else's time to commit to multiple seasons of the show.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

It gave me the impression that it was trying to go for the same sort of relaxing feel as Mushishi, but failed miserably at it.

That's weird, because to me, it has succeeded where Mushishi failed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I would call Mushishi more mesmerizing/fascinating/introspective than relaxing.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

There Bias Two posted:

The first season is kinda a mess, but by the second season I fell for it hard. It's sweet and sad in a way I wasn't really expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

AnoHito posted:

That's weird, because to me, it has succeeded where Mushishi failed.

Mushishi didn't fail at anything as far as I'm concerned.

• Locked thread