Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

CornHolio posted:

I really like that color. I imagine it looks great cleaned up and in person.

I just picked it up and the paint is not the greatest, definitely an amateur job, but I think a heavy wet sanding will solve like 90% of the problems and it'll be good from 10 feet away. Right now it's like 20 feet to notice the uneven clearcoat. It's lowered a bit much but I can adjust back to something a little better and the pressure plate needs replaced. I think I'm going to pull the engine and do the clutch, IMS, and RMS all at once in the next couple weeks but hey, not bad for a $10,000 911.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Sappo569 posted:

At the end of the day I really wanted a 911 but can't find any below that magic $20k number
They are out there. Wait a while or cast a bigger net. Either that or up your budget another 10% on and I'll sell you mine. Not actively trying to sell it, but if someone were to give me $22K I'd probably let it go.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

slidebite posted:

They are out there. Wait a while or cast a bigger net. Either that or up your budget another 10% on and I'll sell you mine. Not actively trying to sell it, but if someone were to give me $22K I'd probably let it go.

You're on the west coast I think correct?

Id honestly have no problem driving 500km or so to pick one up, which would be outside Ontario , but my mechanic friend also said to stay away from Quebec cars .... he wasn't sure why but just said everyone he has seen has had issues.

I know what's going to happen , instead of keeping my budget of 20k or less I'll up it enough to make myself very happy ... But oh so poor.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Nothing will make you poorer faster than a cheap/budget Porsche, even a Boxster.

I'm in Southern Alberta, a couple hours south of Calgary. IIRC my 996 was originally a Toronto car but brought out west in 2003 or something.

I'd be losing at $22K with what I put into it (much of which documented in this very thread), but :shrug:

Personally, I would shy away from dealerships that are invariably shady as gently caress and would wait for a private deal.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Saw this one for $15k
https://austin.craigslist.org/cto/6109027667.html

Rebuilt engine, so who knows.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The premium this car got is kind of sickening:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2000-porsche-boxster/

Sure, my '04 S has a salvage title and isn't as pristine, but it was only $8300 -- not much more than half that one, and way more motor.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Can't be a good thing it needed a brand new clutch at 23k? That's really low

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Pricing thoughts? https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/6150701699.html

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

thechalkoutline posted:

Can't be a good thing it needed a brand new clutch at 23k? That's really low

No kidding. That's a 10k car if it was sold about anywhere else.

Got the new one home with my first substantial wheel time.

The Bad:
Needs an alignment badly
Adjustable coilovers need to be softened and raised a little
I think the throwout bearing is going and pressure plate might be worn, new disk though
CEL for secondary air and evap, nothing terrible except to get through e-check. I reset it and it hasn't come back after a couple separate drives so v0v
Short shifter is 100% rear end
Paint is bad up close

The Good:
Paint is great from a distance and the wheels are neat
Interior is solid
Engine seems perfectly fine and transmission is ok
It's fun on a bun by being faster than the 968 and less terrifying than the 996 Turbo
$10000

Overall I'm satisfied and after doing the clutch, IMS, and RMS it should be as bulletproof as an NA 996 can be. Once I dial in the suspension, replace the SSK, and have the paint corrected some it'll be a great low-stress car and still be worth thousands more in parts than I paid even after the repairs. I might need small wheel spacers to fill the wheel well out more but at the current level it's too low, even with the rolled fenders. It looks a little off in pictures but fine in person.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

What's wrong with the short shifter?

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

What's wrong with the short shifter?

There's a huge amount of play in the assembly combined with incredibly short throw so it's really hard to tell if you're trying to shift into the wrong gear or just hitting between them. Like 1 inch slop in all directions when you're in gear and half the normal throw distance with the corresponding higher effort so it's really hard to tell what the transmission is doing. The 968 is heavy with clunky but positive engagement, the 996TT is light and crisp, and this is vague and heavy. The seller even apologized for it before I got in to test drive it. I'm hoping it's a good older one that just has worn bushings so I don't have to spring for a new unit since it could have 100k+ miles on the SSK. I'll find out when I play around more tomorrow.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The smooth snout of the 996 has really come into its own, imo. The 997 and 991 both try really hard to do something with the oval headlights to stand them off of the body, the slack approach of the fried eggs works better from side angles.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Best plate

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

blk posted:

Best plate

Is that the guy that makes a million bucks selling the solution?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Ordered the first parts for the 944 - a set of hood struts and an oil filter.

A local euro shop quoted $876.55 for replacing the timing belt, balance shaft belt and water pump. I looked up how much a water pump is - that sounds like a hell of a good deal if it really does include that.

I was considering doing it myself, but right now I really just wanna drive the car and not have to worry if I set the tension correctly, so I'm kind of considering having them do it. It looks easy enough but I do know that having a receipt from a shop that changed the timing belt has quite a bit of value vs word of mouth from me.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

CornHolio posted:

Ordered the first parts for the 944 - a set of hood struts and an oil filter.

A local euro shop quoted $876.55 for replacing the timing belt, balance shaft belt and water pump. I looked up how much a water pump is - that sounds like a hell of a good deal if it really does include that.

I was considering doing it myself, but right now I really just wanna drive the car and not have to worry if I set the tension correctly, so I'm kind of considering having them do it. It looks easy enough but I do know that having a receipt from a shop that changed the timing belt has quite a bit of value vs word of mouth from me.

Just do it, I think you stole that car so using the money you saved to have it done right is a good call. I bet with re-establishing maintenance records and some ownership history you could sell it for twice what you paid.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

That's really pretty.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Elephanthead posted:

Is that the guy that makes a million bucks selling the solution?
Nope, that car is owned by Doug DeMuro's best friend. If you'd like to know more, you can check out his latest column on autotrader dot com slash oversteer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr2dzAZEhk4

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I agree with him that the smoothness of the 996 shape is hard to beat from the rear 3/4 view.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

I agree with him that the smoothness of the 996 shape is hard to beat from the rear 3/4 view.

They look sooooooo good from that angle. The wide bodies anyway. I've still never been 100% sold on the narrow body cars. The facelift headlights also look around 900% better than the OG fried egg ones.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
What do you guys think fair value for this car is?

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...sting=176035223

I was looking at Z4Ms, but now the thought of rod bearings has me all nervous and looking around for what else I can get for 20-25k.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

TacoHavoc posted:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/inven...sting=176035223

I was looking at Z4Ms, but now the thought of rod bearings has me all nervous and looking around for what else I can get for 20-25k.

it's less of an issue on the Z cars because they dropped the redline from 8250 to like 7900 or so, i forget exactly. Issue is mostly oil pump can't really keep up past 8k rpm or so. Street motors you should replace the rod bearings every so often, like 5-7 years or so, depending on how much time you spend close to 8k rpm. On track/race cars, need to replace every 1-2 years or 100 hours, whatever comes first. Change the oil often, wait till oil is fully warm before revving to 8k, etc, basic common sense stuff. Coated/treated bearings seem to extend life span of bearings a bit, but still wear out eventually, just might add 1-2 years between when you need to change them. On race cars the coatings really only add some piece of mind, don't really extend life span much.

Job isn't the end of the world, biggest annoyance is having to yank the subframe and steering rack if the motor is still in the car.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

TacoHavoc posted:

IMS bearing is being replaced could mean all kinds of bad things, specifically the owner trades it in cause the bearing granaded the engine.

Looking at polar911.com they may specialize in selling porsches and bmws so they might just do an IMS swap on the bad year ones.

Looking at the black coupe they have they include the same changing IMS and RMS blurb so they either do that to every car or just put it in every ad.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 1, 2017

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

IMS bearing is being replaced could mean all kinds of bad things, specifically the owner trades it in cause the bearing granaded the engine.

Looking at polar911.com they may specialize in selling porsches and bmws so they might just do an IMS swap on the bad year ones.

Looking at the black coupe they have they include the same changing IMS and RMS blurb so they either do that to every car or just put it in every ad.

This unless you have documentation from a known good shop and some significant mileage/time since the replacement.

Honestly in the 20-25 range I'd be looking at Caymans and Boxsters unless you need the rear seat for something. There will be a little more depreciation but then again you'll have a few years newer car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Do Cabrios have a premium over coupe 911s?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Some people seem to want to think so, but most porsche guys (myself included) see it as a detriment.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

Do Cabrios have a premium over coupe 911s?

I've always seen them lower by 5-10%

edit: Also for the average person looking for a fun extra 911 the 25-35k range is pretty awful with crappy 997s just starting to hit and a solid 996 being found easily by 25k. There's some exceptions like if you're looking for a nice 4S or something but there's a big gap there.

Jymmybob fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 1, 2017

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm in agreement -- if you want a convertible, just go with a Boxster S.
I think 15k 996s are out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262982940726

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

So I went to look at that boxster s i posted earlier about, if my mechanic says it's good I see no problems with the deal

I also looked at a 2000 carrera on the way over to the boxster , the guy kept using the phrase 'i just want to be honest' like seriously 5 times .... So the rest of the time he's not being honest ? Haha

Poor car gets abused, he took me for a quick drive and basically floored it the whole way , almost rear ending a slower car to which I said. Wow the brakes work good

Mind you the cars should be driven but doing 100kmh on a busy city street just to show off how fast the car is, doesn't really make me appreciate that you take care of the car.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Awe gently caress.

I put up my boxster for $stupid thinking it'll sit for a while then I'll drop it down to more reasonable by next spring and now I've got a messaging me and I'm meeting up tomorrow to show him the car.

Was not expecting that...

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

kimbo305 posted:

I'm in agreement -- if you want a convertible, just go with a Boxster S.
I think 15k 996s are out there.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262982940726

drat it kimbo you are going to get me in trouble buying a non ppi 996 that will blow up in a week.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Elephanthead posted:

drat it kimbo you are going to get me in trouble buying a non ppi 996 that will blow up in a week.

But it would be a very fun week.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

Elephanthead posted:

Do iiiiit

That's pretty close to part-out value

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

The 996/fried eggs are starting to grow on me, but the lights are really make or break - the ambers look bad and while cloudy, yellowed lights ruin any car it's especially true on the 996. Also buy that 911

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think the amber bottoms work on light paint colors.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Any of the amber/orange lights also look pretty good on black

But your car will never be clean etc yeah yeah

Buy that 911 & drive it into the GROUND

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I don't mind orange fried eggs on schwarz

I actually don't get the vitriolic hate some have on 996 headlights, Mk1 or 2. Yeah, probably not my favorite headlight ever but :shrug:

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer
The real problem was it being watercooled then the headlights were piled on as purists' evidence of 'Porsche losing it's way'. Now everyone's cool with watercooling but the headlight bitching remains although it seems to be getting more mild.

I didn't realize converting the salvage to rebuilt title would be such a pain. I have to get receipts tied to vin numbers from the bumpers he used to pass this poo poo so I either need the receipts, get new garbage bumpers from ebay to pass the inspection, or just say gently caress it and part it out. A big determining factor will be since it doesn't have airbags, will insurance give me poo poo about it or do I reinstall all new ones which the seller included in the sale. Either way I end up driving it which is what I want or I part it out and make some money which isn't the worst thing either.

Also I'm cruising around in the 968 today and I forgot how much fun it is, definitely more balanced and precise than the 911s if a bit underpowered compared to what I'm used to. It's just a pleasure to zoom around in.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Does anyone daily drive a 928? How ridiculous of an idea is that? I've lusted after one of these for so long and feel like I just need to do it. They seem to be going up in price and aren't getting any younger.

With living in an apartment I can't work on anything myself (which would be my ideal) so I would need to get stuff done by a shop. How much would I be looking at yearly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Red_Fred posted:

Does anyone daily drive a 928? How ridiculous of an idea is that? I've lusted after one of these for so long and feel like I just need to do it. They seem to be going up in price and aren't getting any younger.

With living in an apartment I can't work on anything myself (which would be my ideal) so I would need to get stuff done by a shop. How much would I be looking at yearly?

The prospect of this is frightening. Finding a shop that is competent is probably impossible. Anyway your best bet is finding one that someone has spent a ton of money on and now realizes that making bad choices does not need to continue forever.

That said I am calling the guy with the ebay 911 that has been half way to the moon and has the engine the just explodes at random times because race car.