Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

EmmyOk posted:

I can't agree with this enough to be honest. I've never heard someone refer to themselves like this outside of gamers. Even those GODDAMN JOCKS WHO ARE SPORTS NERDS!!!!! don't define themselves by the sports the follow. It's so bizarre.

I mean yeah they do, all of the time. I'm not saying that because I'm salty about having shade thrown at my hobby, I agree it's often garbage. That just means straight white men are desperate for identity and will cling to the most incidental things to get it. Gamers are bad but not uniquely so.

As an aside, I'm putting out a probe: a friend of mine who has some of the most confused political opinions ever (ardently anti-Trump, pro-environmental regulation, yet still won't call himself a feminist and thinks SJWs are a real problem) recently told me that SJWs are ruining Marvel by not allowing them to release books with white men as the central character. We had a convo about that I won't repeat because I made the points you think I did, but where did this thinking come from? Coincidentally I had a couple videos rec'ed to me the other day about SJWs ruining comics with diversity, one of them an entire channel devoted to the subject. Is this a new front in the make-believe culture wars or have I just been blessedly unaware of it the whole time?

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I think Shaun explains it best. It's basically a surrogate identity for being straight white.

I know that anecdote != data, but after years of having bartended quite a number of weddings, the one thing I can say is that all of the white-bread non-ethnic couples have usually had to find some kind of surrogate culture to add to their wedding. In my area, it's usually redneck, but "nerd" weddings (Including an actual life-size TARDIS) fit the bill, too.

They're also usually pretty terrible drinkers, too.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Deified Data posted:

I mean yeah they do, all of the time. I'm not saying that because I'm salty about having shade thrown at my hobby, I agree it's often garbage. That just means straight white men are desperate for identity and will cling to the most incidental things to get it. Gamers are bad but not uniquely so.

As an aside, I'm putting out a probe: a friend of mine who has some of the most confused political opinions ever (ardently anti-Trump, pro-environmental regulation, yet still won't call himself a feminist and thinks SJWs are a real problem) recently told me that SJWs are ruining Marvel by not allowing them to release books with white men as the central character. We had a lot convo about that I won't repeat because I made the points you think I did, but where did this thinking come from? Coincidentally I had a couple videos rec'ed to me the other day about SJWs ruining comics with diversity, one of them an entire channel devoted to the subject. Is this a new front in the make-believe culture wars or have I just been blessedly unaware of it the whole time?

When Jerry Sandusky was on trial, sports fans found the home addresses and phone numbers of some of the accusers--who were children--and called them saying that they would kill them for ruining Joe Paterno's career and hurting the team.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

We thought that right wingers were dumb but they're disingenuous

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Yea, "gamers" will post a ton of dumb poo poo online, but sports fans will actually riot, so which one is actually worse for society?

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

Deified Data posted:

As an aside, I'm putting out a probe: a friend of mine who has some of the most confused political opinions ever (ardently anti-Trump, pro-environmental regulation, yet still won't call himself a feminist and thinks SJWs are a real problem) recently told me that SJWs are ruining Marvel by not allowing them to release books with white men as the central character. We had a lot convo about that I won't repeat because I made the points you think I did, but where did this thinking come from? Coincidentally I had a couple videos rec'ed to me the other day about SJWs ruining comics with diversity, one of them an entire channel devoted to the subject. Is this a new front in the make-believe culture wars or have I just been blessedly unaware of it the whole time?

they probably just watched some goofy video or read an article saying this and are just repeating it verbatim without knowing anything, because it's not remotely true.

marvel have been diversifying their roster of heroes in the past few years (some successfully and some less so), but all your white male favourites are still there. it's an especially weird thing to suggest when there's a really huge captain america event going on right now that's being pushed super hard.

there's just more options now, and it makes things more interesting. if you want to read a cool story where the iron man mantle is passed on to a teenage black girl, you can. if that's not interesting to you, there's one where he's getting replaced by notable white guy dr. doom. then, in a few months, tony stark will probably wake up from his current techno-coma (lol comics) and we'll have him back as well. why are people annoyed about choice?

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Lovechop posted:

they probably just watched some goofy video or read an article saying this and are just repeating it verbatim without knowing anything, because it's not remotely true.?

A marvel exec complained about something similar and a bunch of places ran articles on it. https://www.theguardian.com/books/2017/apr/03/marvel-executive-says-emphasis-on-diversity-may-have-alienated-readers

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Lovechop posted:

new S&J video slaying that kraut and tea guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o4be-OeVrQM

thumbnails extremely on point lately

The hypocrisy :eyepop:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Honestly I'm exasperated at having to explain that no, just because there's a woman flying around called Thor, it does not mean that Thor is gone or dead or that he won't be back in like the next story arc.

Like these are people who can take Cap being a nazi in stride but god forbid a black girl flies around in an Iron Man suit for a while. I can't convince him that A) Marvel still runs tons of books about white men, B) Marvel's diversification isn't why their sales are plummeting, in fact it's a response and not the cause, and most confusingly C) Marvel isn't killing off its big-name characters and replacing them with minorities. There's room in the massive, massive cosmology of 616 for all of these characters to coexist.

Does anyone at least know where I could find sales numbers indicating their readership was down before they started getting inclusive?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Deified Data posted:

Does anyone at least know where I could find sales numbers indicating their readership was down before they started getting inclusive?

Comic book sales numbers are meaningless.

No, really. The big two track sales in the dumbest way possible. There's an essay available for free here that goes into the hows and whys about it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
I don't really see anything wrong with calling yourself whatever you want, gamer or movie buff or bookworm or whatever. :shrug:

Deified Data posted:

Honestly I'm exasperated at having to explain that no, just because there's a woman flying around called Thor, it does not mean that Thor is gone or dead or that he won't be back in like the next story arc.

Like these are people who can take Cap being a nazi in stride but god forbid a black girl flies around in an Iron Man suit for a while. I can't convince him that A) Marvel still runs tons of books about white men, B) Marvel's diversification isn't why their sales are plummeting, in fact it's a response and not the cause, and most confusingly C) Marvel isn't killing off its big-name characters and replacing them with minorities. There's room in the massive, massive cosmology of 616 for all of these characters to coexist.

Here, knock yourself out.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales.html

Personally I don't care enough about cape comic books to analyze the sales, but it didn't seem all that farfetched to me that Marvels sales would drop when they stopped targeting their biggest demographic: The old comic book nerd guard. The people who are more interested in seeing their favorite characters doing the same poo poo over and over and over again, never doing anything new.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Archer666 posted:

I don't really see anything wrong with calling yourself whatever you want, gamer or movie buff or bookworm or whatever. :shrug:

identifying yourself by what kind of media you like to consume is limiting yourself as a person. it's like prefacing your statements with "as someone who doesn't get out of the house much, i..." and this is especially true for less respectable or intellectual media like television or video games

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Haven't comics been on decline since the 90s?

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

Mewnie posted:

Oh my God this keeps getting better.

:lol:

I hope there's a bumper crop of videos this week.

845 people. Good luck with that.

EDIT:

On a serious note, I would join any petition for Bethesda to fix their games.

Midig fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 30, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

nah, the market is growing but repetitive superhero books pushed by the traditional big publishers like Marvel or DC are losing share to indie comics or more midrange publishers that focus more on different types of stories. the walking dead is and was a huge seller, and nowadays you see more innovation and creative exploration from writers and artists

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
If Captain America has to die so East of West and K10^9D lives so be it.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Archer666 posted:

Personally I don't care enough about cape comic books to analyze the sales, but it didn't seem all that farfetched to me that Marvels sales would drop when they stopped targeting their biggest demographic: The old comic book nerd guard. The people who are more interested in seeing their favorite characters doing the same poo poo over and over and over again, never doing anything new.

The reason I stopped following comics from The Big Two is because those twits couldn't get an issue out on time to save their souls. A brand new series that was supposed to publish every two months took 6 months to get two issues out. They're really really bad at being comic companies.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

The comic industry in the 90s was based on completely unsustainable and ridiculous business practices though.

Also for non-comic readers it's worth pointing out that Marvel's biggest breakout characters this century have been Miles Morales (black/hispanic) and Kamala Khan (muslim). The push for diversity was popular, people are just sick of big event after big event.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

The reason I stopped following comics from The Big Two is because those twits couldn't get an issue out on time to save their souls. A brand new series that was supposed to publish every two months took 6 months to get two issues out. They're really really bad at being comic companies.

It always seemed to me that Marvel and DC were right behind Games Workshop in "horribly run companies that are somehow successful"

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

1stGear posted:

It always seemed to me that Marvel and DC were right behind Games Workshop in "horribly run companies that are somehow successful"

Paint keep GW in business, licensing keeps Marvel and DC in business.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Classic and good Marvel and DC superhero comics collections do fine from what I understand. Like, when Thor was new, they totally sold out of the Walt Simonson Omnibus. The fact that you can get them in actual bookstores and on Amazon probably helps.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So not a Youtube Intellectual, but some Scottish Youtuber gets his with consequences for his actions

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/scottish-youtuber-faces-a-year-in-prison-for-teaching-nazi-trick-to-girlfriends-dog/?mod=sm_fb_ad

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

KomradeX posted:

So not a Youtube Intellectual, but some Scottish Youtuber gets his with consequences for his actions

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/scottish-youtuber-faces-a-year-in-prison-for-teaching-nazi-trick-to-girlfriends-dog/?mod=sm_fb_ad

"ugh this orwellian communist nazi society with literal gulags" *faces a maximum one year sentence for teaching a dog to respond to hate speech*

also lol that the guy with stretched ears, a filthy beard, and multiple facial piercings is worried about the effect a hate crime charge would have on his employment potential

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

AFAIK he wasn't a nazi and the charge was stupid and mostly manufactured by media hysteria. He isn't remotely wrong about how the British press works.

Considering the stuff our press and politicians say themselves on a daily basis I find it really difficult to be happy about some rando getting sent to prison for far less objectionable material as it probably will gently caress up his life.

The law, sadly, is not applied on those who most deserve it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 31, 2017

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Seeing as how this tweet is the best example of a supporter they could come up with.
https://twitter.com/The0therDan/status/864305800398884864/photo/1
PS, look at this "politically apathetic" twitter..

I don't know if this article is quite fair and balanced.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

OwlFancier posted:

AFAIK he wasn't a nazi and the charge was stupid and mostly manufactured by media hysteria. He isn't remotely wrong about how the British press works.

Considering the stuff our press and politicians say themselves on a daily basis I find it really difficult to be happy about some rando getting sent to prison for far less objectionable material as it probably will gently caress up his life.

The law, sadly, is not applied on those who most deserve it.

The worst is that some people here secretly consider this a victory. All it really does is ruin the legitimacy of similar cases. Personally, I think to lose your job is enough to make people think about the consequences of their actions if you want to argue that this is genuinely hurtful. Maybe I am ignorant about this, but something also tells me the company would only fire someone for such menial thing to save face so the media is most likely responsible for him losing his job.

Midig fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 31, 2017

lfield
May 10, 2008
Pug guy is a moron but I don't like him being arrested over it. There's plenty of blatant non-joking Nazis for the police to go after if they feel like, after all.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

"It was a joke/prank/"social experiment"" is not really a good excuse

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He's a gobshite but it's pretty hosed up to face jail time for that.

Midig
Apr 6, 2016

BattleMaster posted:

Why do you guys keep comparing people who are trying to be funny with the "prank/social experiment" crowd? One is obviously joking while the other is obviously lying for cheap views.

Midig fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 31, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Midig posted:

Why do you guys keep comparing people who are trying to be funny with the "prank/social experiment" crowd? One is obviously joking while the other is obviously lying for cheap views.

What's the objective criteria for telling the difference?

Edit:

And while we're at it, Im still curious how you can tell the difference between ironic fascists and legit fascists on 4chan.

Who What Now fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 31, 2017

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Why is "social experiment" a defense anyway? None of these dopes are qualified to do that. If I blow myself up "it was a chemistry experiment" isn't good enough

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Midig posted:

I'm not going to differentiate between different categories of people doing depraved poo poo to try to get views/likes/comments/subscribes

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

quote:

No one in his sane mind would watch his material on Youtube and come to the conclusion that he committed a hate crime.” SkepTorr said. “[Many Israelis and Jews] do not like false flagging. It makes us look really bad and just creates resentment towards us.”
That's not what a false flag is. That's not even close to what a false flag is. It's being over-zealous.

I also like how the guy charged is considering applying for asylum in the US.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!

BattleMaster posted:

By framing it as already being an excuse you're in fact saying he's either way (joking or not) guilty of something. This is the problem here: the question that's most important to be be asked here is not if he's guilty or not but if our western liberal values of free speech should or not include a space where it is possible to talk about the holocaust in anything other that a tone of dignified condemnation.

I for once think it should, and that one doesn't have to like it, or support it, even though it opens a space for terrible dumb guys like this scottish fellow or lunatics like David Irving.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Fados posted:

I for once think it should, and that one doesn't have to like it, or support it, even though it opens a space for terrible dumb guys like this scottish fellow or lunatics like David Irving.

i think that if you're going to do something so stupid as to repeat hate speech to a dog enough times to condition the dog to respond to the hate speech, you should at least be smart enough to not film, edit, and upload a video of you repeating hate speech to a dog. like the idiot who was terrorizing his children for views, youtube and social media subtly encourage a lot of horrible behavior and it can be jarring to be removed from your happy little bubble of enablers into the sudden realization there are real world consequences for your actions

if he had never tried to monetize his stupidity he would be fine. plenty of people say much uglier things about jews every day, they just have the tact to do it off camera

lol at this quote though

quote:

“I don’t actually hate Jewish people and the video was just an insight into the darker side of my humor, a prank to annoy my girlfriend and that I did not intend for people, other than people who knew my comedy, to see the video,” Meechan said.

i did not intend for people to see the video when i uploaded it to youtube

he really lost my sympathy there when he refused to take responsibility for his poor decisions

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 31, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I think hate speech should be more punishable honestly. It's not like these fucks actually respect free speech. Hell anti fems are always calling for the censorship of others, usually claiming the people are pro censorship because they're incapable of not projecting.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Who What Now posted:

What's the objective criteria for telling the difference?

Edit:

And while we're at it, Im still curious how you can tell the difference between ironic fascists and legit fascists on 4chan.

the prank/social experiment people are very clearly trying to stoke racial tensions by pretending that the black people in their videos are "from the hood" and not just paid actors doing something stereotypical or reacting to the host saying something racist to their face

the dog guy is clearly not trying to stoke racial tensions because it's just him and his dog and holy poo poo why on earth is anyone getting offended by that for reasons besides it not being funny. isn't there shitloads of open racism in britain towards muslims and pakistanis? why not get angry over that instead?

i mean look at the comments of the dog video and any "from the hood" prank video and there's a pretty obvious difference to how people react to them

little munchkin fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 31, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

little munchkin posted:

why not get angry over that instead?

we can do both? it's not like there's a shortage of punishment available for people who film themselves saying hate speech

also i dunno how many people are offended but i'm definitely entertained and feeling schadenfraude at the hack comedian QQing that he might face punishment for his idiocy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

little munchkin posted:

the prank/social experiment people are very clearly trying to stoke racial tensions by pretending that the black people in their videos are "from the hood" and not just paid actors doing something stereotypical or reacting to the host saying something racist to their face

the dog guy is clearly not trying to stoke racial tensions because it's just him and his dog and holy poo poo why on earth is anyone getting offended by that for reasons besides it not being funny. isn't there shitloads of open racism in britain towards muslims and pakistanis? why not get angry over that instead?

There's no such thing as "okay Nazism", even if it's just in private and only a little Nazi-ish.

• Locked thread