Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Does Le Mans still do that thing where there's no decent TV coverage overnight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Buy the WEC online video thing it's great

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Buy the WEC online video thing it's great

I will, but I recall from a few years ago that they don't have camera crews on track overnight, so it was mostly static CCTV shots until dawn.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Eurosport have people talking through the night usually

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
They switched to having all the cameras manned overnight in... 2015 I think, not seen anything about it this year so I'd guess it's the same.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

wicka posted:

I will, but I recall from a few years ago that they don't have camera crews on track overnight, so it was mostly static CCTV shots until dawn.

In-car shots and pit lane work at night, awwww yeeeeaaahhh

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

wicka posted:

I usually just mix radio Le Mans with in cars at night

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
Overnight coverage is better when it's sparse. Nighttime on-board shots, CCTV cameras, hours-long front straight and pit road shots. It just feels right.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Overnight coverage is better when it's sparse. Nighttime on-board shots, CCTV cameras, hours-long front straight and pit road shots. It just feels right.

It was annoying when Rockenfeller crashed a few years ago and no one had a drat idea what happened.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
my poo poo's gonna look like loving mission control with every stream possible showing on TVs, monitors and Surface Pros

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

wicka posted:

It was annoying when Rockenfeller crashed a few years ago and no one had a drat idea what happened.

The marshals at the corner post knew what happened immediately. Race control knew what happened immediately. It's OK that that the media and television audience didn't know what happened immediately.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Norns posted:

I usually just mix radio Le Mans with in cars at night

Commentary-free stream, RLM commentary running in another window/on my phone is the one true way of doing Le Mans.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

The marshals at the corner post knew what happened immediately. Race control knew what happened immediately. It's OK that that the media and television audience didn't know what happened immediately.

I don't see what the gently caress that has to do with wanting complete coverage of a live sports event.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Getting 24 hours of camera coverage is easy for Daytona, but complete overnight coverage of a place like Le Mans or the Nurburgring is asking a lot. It's not a matter of if they could do it, but whether or not it's worth it to do. They don't think it's worth it.

And if you don't like their coverage, stop watching!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Getting 24 hours of camera coverage is easy for Daytona, but complete overnight coverage of a place like Le Mans or the Nurburgring is asking a lot. It's not a matter of if they could do it, but whether or not it's worth it to do. They don't think it's worth it.

And if you don't like their coverage, stop watching!

Ok thanks!!

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Like I said, pretty sure Eurosport's coverage is complete all night I think. A handful of cameras may be automatic during that time but you'd hardly notice

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

WindyMan posted:

Getting 24 hours of camera coverage is easy for Daytona, but complete overnight coverage of a place like Le Mans or the Nurburgring is asking a lot.

Powered by Rooftop Ray, the hero we need.

Besides, the real best coverage at night at Le Mans is when somebody is brave enough to play man on the street in drunk-land on the infield.

I need to check if Toyota is doing something at MegaWeb in Odaiba (they've had watch parties of the beginning/end of the race there in the past) but otherwise I'll make a Mission Control in my apartment.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
If the stream that nurburgring 24 had on youtube was repeated for Le Man it would make me a happy man. Half of what I ended up watching on the Sunday was night stuff due to being in Australia but I think they covered it well. I'm also not about to sink money into pay tv for a race or two a year but stacks of Australian and international stuff is only available that way but I still don't want to sign up

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

If the stream that nurburgring 24 had on youtube was repeated for Le Man it would make me a happy man. Half of what I ended up watching on the Sunday was night stuff due to being in Australia but I think they covered it well. I'm also not about to sink money into pay tv for a race or two a year but stacks of Australian and international stuff is only available that way but I still don't want to sign up

if your Australian internet is above "tin can" level, you can pay ~5-10 euro for access to the WEC App/website for just Le Mans. That'll give you their full TV coverage. But if you liked the N24 coverage, the radio crew who did that - Radio Le Mans - will be doing free streams. They'll definitely have audio, and most likely that audio will be partnered with a couple different in-car streams (Audi always had one, Corvette did too IIRC).

I'm planning on beaming WEC App access to the TV on Chromecast, and playing the RLM audio off my computer or phone.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, if some of you don't know, Sebastian Bourdais was involved in the second worst accident of the IndyCar season (Dixon's being worse), and is out due to a fractured hip.

Tony Kanaan is taking his spot at Le Mans: http://www.racer.com/wec-le-mans/item/141042-kanaan-to-sub-for-bourdais-at-le-mans

:getin:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

D-D-D-D-DOUBLE POST

In unsurprising news, Bykolles continues to be the joke of LMP, losing yet another driver for Le Mans:
https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/rossiter-steps-down-from-bykolles-le-mans-drive-912930/

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

B-T-CC IN THE U-S-A...B-T-CC IN THE USA...kind of:

http://www.imsa.com/news/062017/imsa-finalizes-cooperation-agreement-wsc-tcr-international

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How the gently caress is IMSA making good moves when NASCAR is all :ccp:?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

iospace posted:

How the gently caress is IMSA making good moves when NASCAR is all :ccp:?

France family

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

France family also owns IMSA.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Yeah but don't seem to be throwing loving pasta at the wall every 5 min?

I somehow think the direct influence is minimized in IMSA.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Hot take: Stages are fine

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Norns posted:

Yeah but don't seem to be throwing loving pasta at the wall every 5 min?

I somehow think the direct influence is minimized in IMSA.

I think part of it has to do with IMSA being a niche series vs NASCAR being huge in terms of popularity. Prototype and GT racing has international appeal, so you can't go too far with rule changes or no one is going to race it. NASCAR, on the other hand, feels like it's grasping at ANYTHING to keep the popularity up high.

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
I really hope TCR isn't gonna supplant ST, and the ST cars get some new entries. It's such good racing in that class, especially with the variety of drivetrain layouts and weights and handling characteristics.

3 class CTSCC I am totally down with, 2 class without ST, I am afraid of.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Today in "Aussie Supercars gives no fucks about your grassroots motorsport", they're launching a Super5000 series as direct competiton with the Formula Thunder 5000 series because apparently they own the rights to the Formula 5000 series name. At least the car looks alright despite the comically huge airbox.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

njsykora posted:

At least the car looks alright despite the comically huge airbox.
Can't have an F5000 car without a comically huge airbox, they're just staying on brand here.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

In other news, reoccurring joke ByKolles said they're unlikely to participate past the WEC Nurburgring round. The reasoning? Cost of having to ship the car and related equipment overseas.

They're also saying they'll be able to beat LMP2s at Le Mans. This, I do not believe until I see it happen.

https://www.motorsport.com/wec/news/bykolles-unlikely-to-continue-past-nurburgring-wec-round-913479/

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
L00k @ dis poo poo :eyepop: :krakken:
https://twitter.com/CorvetteMs/status/870626839777161216

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Somewhere, there's a crusty old dude :qq:ing over RUINING A PERFECTLY GOOD CORVETTE.

I love it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
It's less tacky than most old's Corvettes :colbert:

Gonna look amazing at night tho :D I don't think the old M3 GTE artcar was glow in the dark was it?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

njsykora posted:

Today in "Aussie Supercars gives no fucks about your grassroots motorsport", they're launching a Super5000 series as direct competiton with the Formula Thunder 5000 series because apparently they own the rights to the Formula 5000 series name. At least the car looks alright despite the comically huge airbox.

I like the Thunder concept a bit more, a semi-modernized take. This one just looks like a fan tried to do a drawing of Lola T332 from memory.

Since there was a post about F5000, I will take this as an excuse to dig through my dads pictures and post one. Here is my dad and Al Unser standing next to their T332 with their names on the side. I believe this was '75?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

A good livery.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I really want that livery in a downloadable version so that I can import it into racing games.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

This is incredibly rad.

Cygni posted:

I like the Thunder concept a bit more, a semi-modernized take. This one just looks like a fan tried to do a drawing of Lola T332 from memory.

Since there was a post about F5000, I will take this as an excuse to dig through my dads pictures and post one. Here is my dad and Al Unser standing next to their T332 with their names on the side. I believe this was '75?

So is this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MazeOfTzeentch
May 2, 2009

rip miso beno
Ricky Taylor binned it in quali, session red flagged before 10 minutes elapsed. Grid set by points, but with the 10 at the back. VFR, JDC-Miller and Mazda got screwed out of the top 3 spots.

• Locked thread