Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TheChirurgeon posted:

More Tyranid stuff:

Yeah that's all been posted already

These are at a better resolution and also for some reason sideways?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
If Abaddon and Guilliman are fighting in your game of Warhammer 40,000 and it looks like Abaddon might be about to win, Gav Thorpe bursts into your living rooms and smashes up your board and any Chaos models still in play.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how that's all going to work. Is it better to have boyz on board when you assault, or is it better to have the disembark and charge themselves? It seems like Orks are going to be insane in assault, at least on the charge. If you can get all 20 boyz into a fight then that's 80 attacks hitting on 3+. You immediately lose over 20 attacks when the first boy dies which tells me Orks are meant to hit really hard on the charge but suffer from longevity. On the other hand you could make the Battlewagon a murder mobile, fit it with 20 shootas (or hell 20 burnas!) and the various weapons.

I would be really hesitant to shoot anything I want to charge unless I'm really close.

Well I'm really excited. I have a TON of deathskullz that have been sitting there waiting.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

chutche2 posted:

Yeah that's all been posted already

These are at a better resolution and also for some reason sideways?

Man I'm not taking the photos. Save them, open them and rotate them in your photo viewer.

Also, worth noting is the Airborne rule here:

Airborne - This model cannot charge, can only be charged by units that can Fly, and can only attack or be attacked by units in the Fight phase that can Fly.

Looks like it isn't on every flyer so far (not on Heldrake, for example), so I'm guessing it'll only show up on flyers without hover, and means that jump and jet pack infantry can hit flyers, which loving owns :circlefap:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

goose willis posted:

Can someone please tell me the reason why Robot Girlyman has an 8'' move range and Abaddon has a 6'' move range

Have you seen how long his legs are?

Also, primarch.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

TheChirurgeon posted:

l

Airborne - This model cannot charge, can only be charged by units that can Fly, and can only attack or be attacked by units in the Fight phase that can Fly.

This rule is awesome.

If I can ask real quick, what's Hover?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Bee posted:

This rule is awesome.

If I can ask real quick, what's Hover?

Rule for flyers that can remain stationary. Some flyers must move a minimum distance (seeing as they're blasting through the sky) while others (generally anything that has the word gunship attached to it) can hover and fire like a modern helicopter gunship.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

TheChirurgeon posted:

Man I'm not taking the photos. Save them, open them and rotate them in your photo viewer.

Looks like it isn't on every flyer so far (not on Heldrake, for example), so I'm guessing it'll only show up on flyers without hover, and means that jump and jet pack infantry can hit flyers, which loving owns :circlefap:

This is metal as gently caress

Who needs AA guns when you have assault marines?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MonsterEnvy posted:

Going Pure math on this. Who is more likely to win. Guilliman or Abbadon.

Roboute (Emprah's Sword): 6 * (5/6) * (4/6) * (1/2) * 3 * 0.5 = 2.5 Damage + 6 * (5/6) * (1/6) * 2 * 0.5 = 0.83 Damage

Roboute (Hand of Dominion): 6 * (5/6) * (5/6) * (1/2) * 3 * 0.5 = 3.13 Damage

Abaddon (Drach'nyen): (6 + (1/6) + (1/6)*(6 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 2)) * (5/6) * (2/6) * (2/6) * 2 = 1.76 Damage + 0.17 Self - Inflicted Damage

Abaddon (Talon of Horus): (6 + (1/6)) * (5/6) * (4/6) * (2/6) * 2 = 2.28 Wounds

So if I did the math right every turn the two fight Roboute would be doing 3.33 damage while Abaddon is doing 2.28 wounds with the same weapon that killed Roboute's father. Between the additional damage and the fact that Roboute has a 50% chance to come back from the dead I'd say the advantage is to the Primarch.

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"
Yeah I'm so going to have to cobble together some buzzsaw deffkoptas to go for fliers :O

Also I hope looted wagons are back in some way.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

YER ZOGGIN RIGHT!

Fun Fact: You can field 30 Stormboyz in a single unit. At least in 7th you could. Hopefully they'll keep that for 8th.

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 31, 2017

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Roboute (Emprah's Sword): 6 * (5/6) * (4/6) * (1/2) * 3 * 0.5 = 2.5 Damage + 6 * (5/6) * (1/6) * 2 * 0.5 = 0.83 Damage

Roboute (Hand of Dominion): 6 * (5/6) * (5/6) * (1/2) * 3 * 0.5 = 3.13 Damage

Abaddon (Drach'nyen): (6 + (1/6) + (1/6)*(6 + 5 + 4 + 3 + 2)) * (5/6) * (2/6) * (2/6) * 2 = 1.76 Damage + 0.17 Self - Inflicted Damage

Abaddon (Talon of Horus): (6 + (1/6)) * (5/6) * (4/6) * (2/6) * 2 = 2.28 Wounds

So if I did the math right every turn the two fight Roboute would be doing 3.33 damage while Abaddon is doing 2.28 wounds with the same weapon that killed Roboute's father. Between the additional damage and the fact that Roboute has a 50% chance to come back from the dead I'd say the advantage is to the Primarch.

Are you counting the d3 mortal wounds from the sword into that?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

Are you counting the d3 mortal wounds from the sword into that?

Yeah. That's the 0.83 damage. 6 swings, 2+ to hit, 6+ for mortal wounds, 2 mortal wounds on average, 50% damage reduction. If I wanted to get really pedantic I could divide the damage into the various categories (sometimes it's 1 wound, other times it's 2) but I was feeling lazy.

Meh, it seems viable. Since the Emprah's sword is fixed damage it's actually a straight 2 damage per failed save. And then the mortal wounds are a 66% chance of dealing 1 wound and a 33% chance of dealing 2.

6 * (5/6) * (4/6) * (1/2) * 2 = 3.33 Damage + 6 * (5/6) * (1/6) * (0.33 * 2 + 0.66 * 1) = 1.1 Damage

So yeah Roboute is doing nearly twice the damage that Abaddon is doing.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah. That's the 0.83 damage. 6 swings, 2+ to hit, 6+ for mortal wounds, 2 mortal wounds on average, 50% damage reduction. If I wanted to get really pedantic I could divide the damage into the various categories (sometimes it's 1 wound, other times it's 2) but I was feeling lazy.

Meh, it seems viable. Since the Emprah's sword is fixed damage it's actually a straight 2 damage per failed save. And then the mortal wounds are a 66% chance of dealing 1 wound and a 33% chance of dealing 2.

6 * (5/6) * (4/6) * (1/2) * 2 = 3.33 Damage + 6 * (5/6) * (1/6) * (0.33 * 2 + 0.66 * 1) = 1.1 Damage

So yeah Roboute is doing nearly twice the damage that Abaddon is doing.

I'm wondering if "mortal wounds" count as damage for abbadon's thing now. They seem to operate differently.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

YER ZOGGIN RIGHT!

Fun Fact: You can field 30 Stormboyz in a single unit. At least in 7th you could. Hopefully they'll keep that for 8th.

Semi-related, there's an interesting advantage to taking fewer numbers of big units, which is that in most of the missions that have been spoiled, players alternate deploying units, and the player that finishes deploying first gets to take the first turn.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

TheChirurgeon posted:

Semi-related, there's an interesting advantage to taking fewer numbers of big units, which is that in most of the missions that have been spoiled, players alternate deploying units, and the player that finishes deploying first gets to take the first turn.

God Bless You Warhammer Fantasy Battles. Taken too soon.

Caros
May 14, 2008

chutche2 posted:

I'm wondering if "mortal wounds" count as damage for abbadon's thing now. They seem to operate differently.

It is going to need an FAQ. According to the rules you can make all attacks at once, or you can make them one at a time.

If you roll them all at once (example numbers) you might hit ten times, wound five, have three Get through saves for a total of say... nine damage. Which is then halved to 4.5 (and rounded up or down depending on what the rule says under the glare) for 4 or 5 wounds.

If you roll them separately everything ends up the same until you get to damage. You have three hits for three damage each. Rounding down that is three damage. Rounding up it is six.

And then you stack on mortal wounds which may be allocated individually to do either zero or one damage. Or they can be allocated together doing either one or two damage. Or they bypass the mechanic entirely, which seems unlikely but who the gently caress knows.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chutche2 posted:

I specifically checked into that. This is what the core rules say about mortal wounds:

quote:

Each mortal wound inflicts one point of damage on the target unit. Do not make a wound roll or saving throw (including invulnerable saves) against a mortal wound - just allocate it as you would any other wound and inflict damage to a model in the target unit as described above. Unlike normal attacks, excess damage from attacks that inflict mortal wounds is not lost. Instead keep allocating damage to another model in the target unit until either all the damage has been allocated or the target unit is destroyed.

This is pretty important as it emphasizes how 8th edition handles the process.

Every attack is a chance to inflict a hit.

Every hit is a chance to inflict a wound.

Every wound is a chance to inflict damage.

Every save is a chance to prevent that damage.

Now Abaddon's ability specifically states that "all damage suffered by Abaddon the Despoiler is halved (rounded ???)". The final bit of text is obscured but I suspect it's rounded up since that's how other effects have been. So in the case of a mortal wound versus Abaddon the damage is allocated and then halved.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Looking at Kharn's leaked profile and it's...not good.

A 4++, which is good. But he's still only S5, his axe S+1, so he's not really going to wound the big stuff reliably at S6. He retains the rule of hitting his pals on a 1, and hits on a 2+...but every HQ and their mothers now hit on a 2+. Can't really think of a reason not to use a Khorne Lord over him, to be honest.

Also, no more psy-immunity, and his plasma pistol has no safe-fire mode, so he'll be taking mortal wounds like a chump.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Mortal wounds or flat out dying? Mephiston had a good chance of just killing himself when firing overcharged

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Caros posted:

It is going to need an FAQ. According to the rules you can make all attacks at once, or you can make them one at a time.

If you roll them all at once (example numbers) you might hit ten times, wound five, have three Get through saves for a total of say... nine damage. Which is then halved to 4.5 (and rounded up or down depending on what the rule says under the glare) for 4 or 5 wounds.

If you roll them separately everything ends up the same until you get to damage. You have three hits for three damage each. Rounding down that is three damage. Rounding up it is six.

And then you stack on mortal wounds which may be allocated individually to do either zero or one damage. Or they can be allocated together doing either one or two damage. Or they bypass the mechanic entirely, which seems unlikely but who the gently caress knows.

This is a good point and is a pretty significant deal. Glad to see there's something to debate before the rules are even out!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Sephyr posted:

Looking at Kharn's leaked profile and it's...not good.

A 4++, which is good. But he's still only S5, his axe S+1, so he's not really going to wound the big stuff reliably at S6. He retains the rule of hitting his pals on a 1, and hits on a 2+...but every HQ and their mothers now hit on a 2+. Can't really think of a reason not to use a Khorne Lord over him, to be honest.

Also, no more psy-immunity, and his plasma pistol has no safe-fire mode, so he'll be taking mortal wounds like a chump.

Is he incredibly cheap or does he bring some wacky special rule to the table? Gorechild getting +1s and nothing else seems a bit poor.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Huh. For whatever reason they decided that Orks needed to be slow and only move 5". That's the same speed as Terminators. Regular marines move 6". Kroot move around 7".

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
See, I don't think you can pool all the damage like that. You have to still have the damage broken up by wound because you save wounds, not points of damage. So you're taking packets of damage rather than one big lump of damage, and each of those packets would be halved. Otherwise, if you pooled the damage like that then it would gently caress up when you've got a multi-model unit and one dies before all your hits have been allocated.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Huh. For whatever reason they decided that Orks needed to be slow and only move 5". That's the same speed as Terminators. Regular marines move 6". Kroot move around 7".

That makes sense kind of. They do tend to stomp around the place on their weeny little legs.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JBP posted:

Is he incredibly cheap or does he bring some wacky special rule to the table? Gorechild getting +1s and nothing else seems a bit poor.

No he's actually pretty brutal. First since he has Death to the False Emperor he gets a new hit on every attack roll of 6. In addition Gorechild is really devastating. Always hits on a 2+, S6, -4AP and D3 damage. So Kharn will be wounding everything up to T11 on 5's, at best they'll have a 6+ save, and with Blood for the Blood God he fights twice. Plus if you put a friendly World Eater unit within 1" of him they get to reroll misses.

chutche2 posted:

See, I don't think you can pool all the damage like that. You have to still have the damage broken up by wound because you save wounds, not points of damage. So you're taking packets of damage rather than one big lump of damage, and each of those packets would be halved. Otherwise, if you pooled the damage like that then it would gently caress up when you've got a multi-model unit and one dies before all your hits have been allocated.

You're right. Wounds are allocated to models, who then save the wounds, and then damage is dealt. It looks like the rules in the Core Rulebook assume you make each attack one at a time. What's interesting is that the Wound Roll doesn't indicate what Toughness should be used in a mixed unit. Majority? Attacker's choice? Defender's choice? It's not specified at all. I suspect that's something we'll have to wait for the full rules to understand.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JBP posted:

That makes sense kind of. They do tend to stomp around the place on their weeny little legs.

This is true. No wonder they like bikes and trukks and things that go fast.

Even more of an incentive to use Battlewagons and Stormboyz.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You're right. Wounds are allocated to models, who then save the wounds, and then damage is dealt. It looks like the rules in the Core Rulebook assume you make each attack one at a time. What's interesting is that the Wound Roll doesn't indicate what Toughness should be used in a mixed unit. Majority? Attacker's choice? Defender's choice? It's not specified at all. I suspect that's something we'll have to wait for the full rules to understand.

Yeah, the mixed toughness thing is something I've brought up before. I thought that maybe they'd just get rid of mixed toughness, but there's the Nob saying it's still a thing.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It looks like Necrons are 5" based on the infantry characters being 5" too. Although it does make sense for Necrons.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is true. No wonder they like bikes and trukks and things that go fast.

Even more of an incentive to use Battlewagons and Stormboyz.

They still get to reroll charge and their are abilities for them to Advance and still be able to charge.

JBP posted:

He gets to fight twice. And Gorechild does a lot of damage. Combined with the fact that no matter what it will always hit on a 2+. (So no weakening it or anything)

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 31, 2017

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
Dammit these Nid leaks actually look fun. Really want to see how the rest of the units turn out. Lictor rules please.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also don't know if anyone saw it but we have English Battlewagon rules now. Though we can't quite see everything the attacks are covered up.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I just realized that assault transports are no longer a thing judging by the battle wagon and chaos land raider sheets.

I wonder what the LRC/R frag launchers do?

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So less a green tide and more a green wading pool. The canned hunt continues. I'm out.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Likely to help compensate for the extra movement provided by waaaaghing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I just realized that assault transports are no longer a thing judging by the battle wagon and chaos land raider sheets.

I wonder what the LRC/R frag launchers do?

They are not longer a thing on the grounds that they are all Assault Transports now.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
My mother is old and disabled and wants to make some money on the side because she paints very well and wants to try painting some of my figures and eventually wants to sell painted figures on eBay through me

Since she has absolutely no familiarity with the setting or common color schemes this will basically be the 40k version of outsider art

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

TheChirurgeon posted:

The level in Space Marine where you're operating the door gun of a Valkyrie as Stormboyz assault your ship and the ships around you was loving rad. This is also rad.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

goose willis posted:

My mother is old and disabled and wants to make some money on the side because she paints very well and wants to try painting some of my figures and eventually wants to sell painted figures on eBay through me

Since she has absolutely no familiarity with the setting or common color schemes this will basically be the 40k version of outsider art

That actually sounds pretty rad, I would love to see what she comes up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

chutche2 posted:

I have roughly 40 assault marines, a quarter of which are bearing ridiculous wargear. That's not counting the death company.

E:

TheChirurgeon posted:

I can 'not deploy' one unit less than half of my army?

DiHK fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 31, 2017

• Locked thread