Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

widefault posted:

Picked up a Lotus copy of a Fender/Squier H2 Bullet yesterday and got a chance to start pulling it apart to assess the problems.

I paid $50+tax, and my labor is free, so even if I have to buy a neck I should be able to get it playable for under $100.
Why in the world would you buy an old, cheap knockoff of the cheapest guitar Fender ever made? Is this some kind of hipster portable 45 record player kind of a thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
All right, so, after having played Rocksmith for a few months I'd like to actually learn what I'm doing and why. It's time for me to learn some music theory. I see the links in the OP, and that's cool, but what I'm looking for is something hardcover or paperback to physically use as a learning and reference tool. Could any of you recommend something to me? There are a bunch of theory books out there and I'm thinking some of you guys might have much stronger recommendations for something a guitar newbie like myself might benefit from better than blindly purchasing high rated theory books on amazon.

edit:
This Music Theory book seems okay?

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 30, 2017

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

magnificent7 posted:

Why in the world would you buy an old, cheap knockoff of the cheapest guitar Fender ever made? Is this some kind of hipster portable 45 record player kind of a thing?

I started with a Lotus strat copy. When I moved up to a Cortez strat copy, life was infinitely better. My Lotus would have been about a 1983 or so. I guess by then they were not as good as they'd been before. Mine was on the crappy side.

From the Wikipedia article on Lotus: "The Moridaira-made Lotus guitars are the rarest and hardest to find as Lotus/Morris made them at most for only 2–3 years." This includes a Bullet copy, no idea if it's the same as the one in the picture.

I guess somebody must be looking for them.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

magnificent7 posted:

In no real order
- It was $50, and lord knows I've spent more on dumber things
- Because it is a knock-off of a pretty much unknown model, I like the oddball stuff
- I needed a project
- A real 80's Fender Bullet H2 is in the $600+ range right now, and I had always been looking for one

That said, after 2 days clamped, the neck was almost straight. Going to check again later, and if it looks good I'll put it back on the body and string it up. Soaked the bridge saddles in penetrating oil and all the screws broke loose, so looks like I don't have to change the saddles after all. I had a pair of pots in my junk box, but they're questionable at best since I think they were pulled from an old 60's Kay.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

widefault posted:

- A real 80's Fender Bullet H2 is in the $600+ range right now
Sweet mother of pearloid.

Totally related note - I need to replace one of the bridge saddles in my Gibson ES-135.

edit: THIS IS NOT MY BRIDGE, it's just a photo I found online.

Does anybody know if a saddle is a saddle is a saddle on these? I can't find any documentation on it - wondering if I should just go ahead and buy a whole bridge (since some of the other saddles have some divot/wear and tear) but I can't find any indication online if this bridge is your basic run of the mill tune-o-matic bridge, or is it the super deluxe limited edition bridge.

magnificent7 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 30, 2017

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

magnificent7 posted:

Totally related note - I need to replace one of the bridge saddles in my Gibson ES-135.

edit: THIS IS NOT MY BRIDGE, it's just a photo I found online.

Does anybody know if a saddle is a saddle is a saddle on these? I can't find any documentation on it - wondering if I should just go ahead and buy a whole bridge (since some of the other saddles have some divot/wear and tear) but I can't find any indication online if this bridge is your basic run of the mill tune-o-matic bridge, or is it the super deluxe limited edition bridge.

If you have a good local shop (especially one that's been around for a while) take it in and see if they can find something that fits in their parts bin. If you're buying online, just get the whole drat bridge. There's just too much variation, even the same model from the same era from the same factory. Finding that out cost me return shipping to Canada. :(

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

nickhimself posted:

All right, so, after having played Rocksmith for a few months I'd like to actually learn what I'm doing and why. It's time for me to learn some music theory. I see the links in the OP, and that's cool, but what I'm looking for is something hardcover or paperback to physically use as a learning and reference tool. Could any of you recommend something to me? There are a bunch of theory books out there and I'm thinking some of you guys might have much stronger recommendations for something a guitar newbie like myself might benefit from better than blindly purchasing high rated theory books on amazon.

edit:

Seems solid enough. Basic theory is universal enough that any decent book should do the trick.

The key is for it to have worksheets, and for you to actually do them! Music theory is a lot like math that as you apply and use it, its simplicity dawns on you. Just reading the text however can be a bit overwhelming.

One step at a time, too! Don't feel like you need to do more than one or two exercises in a single sitting, unless you're up for it of course. But if you only look at any part of getting good at music via "one step at a time," the whole endeavor really isn't all that hard or intimidating.

"Oh I just have to slightly clean up this song/improve this scale by x,y, or z today" is much more effective and reassuring than "why don't I loving sound like x, y, or z, I want to sound like them by next month drat it!"

It all translates so well to other facets of music that by getting good incrementally, you'll suddenly be really good in other contexts before you even realize what happened.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
This is a deceptively difficult problem, but does anyone know how to get the audio from amplitube/etc to show up on a stream or other video recording thing?

I'd like to record cover stuff or stream improv things but don't know how to do it other than mic'ing a cab. Anyone ever figure this issue out? I've tried using virtual audio cable to reroute things but it's not picking up the asio driver and I have no real idea what to do from here.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

How are Hagstroms generally? I don't know much about them but I'd like a Swedish guitar and this one looks like it would be great for some doom sludge:

I even like the headstock

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
is it actually a swedish made one or is that just an imported Swede (model name)?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

muike posted:

is it actually a swedish made one or is that just an imported Swede (model name)?

That ones newer so I'm assuming it's Chinese but I still like the idea of a Swedish brand. And there's reasonably priced vintage ones too, those might be Swedish made but idk

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

This is a deceptively difficult problem, but does anyone know how to get the audio from amplitube/etc to show up on a stream or other video recording thing?

I'd like to record cover stuff or stream improv things but don't know how to do it other than mic'ing a cab. Anyone ever figure this issue out? I've tried using virtual audio cable to reroute things but it's not picking up the asio driver and I have no real idea what to do from here.

Could Cantabile help? I'm not really familiar with how to use it apart from input > VSTs > speakers, but it's got some farily detailed in/out options. There's a free trial.

https://www.cantabilesoftware.com/

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Snowy posted:

That ones newer so I'm assuming it's Chinese but I still like the idea of a Swedish brand. And there's reasonably priced vintage ones too, those might be Swedish made but idk

Vintage ones would be made in Sweden. They're a little quirky but cool. I've had a III, a 12-string and a D'Aquisto.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Spanish Manlove posted:

I could never get Virtual Audio Cable to work but maybe try Voicemeeter? It's what I use for Skype + interface stuff.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

syntaxfunction posted:

I could never get Virtual Audio Cable to work but maybe try Voicemeeter? It's what I use for Skype + interface stuff.

I can get skype to recognize my interface just fine, but the specific issue I'd like to fix is that I'd like the signal path to go

input from interface > DAW embedded or standalone amplitube > stream/record

I figured out a weird way to do it where I use a physical audio cable going from one output on the interface back into an input on the interface, similar to reamping a guitar only I'm sending a "wet" track instead of a dry guitar track.

Now the only problem is that my little 2i2 doesn't have enough inputs to do guitar in, mike in, and reamp in, so it solves my immediate problem of how to record covers, but now I just have to justify whether I should buy a new interface with more IO if I wanted to livestream.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I'll be really interested to hear how you manage to solve this. Maybe the VST mentioned here could help? https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/how-to-stream-daw-audio-with-an-audio-interface.14792/

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Snowy posted:

How are Hagstroms generally? I don't know much about them but I'd like a Swedish guitar and this one looks like it would be great for some doom sludge:

My guitarist uses one of these and loves it. Coil splits as stock too so they can cover a bunch of territory. He's actually had to retire it from live work after two headstock breaks but he's always on the lookout for a back-up. Had real problems finding one in the UK because they're out of stock.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

KingSlime posted:

Seems solid enough. Basic theory is universal enough that any decent book should do the trick.

The key is for it to have worksheets, and for you to actually do them! Music theory is a lot like math that as you apply and use it, its simplicity dawns on you. Just reading the text however can be a bit overwhelming.

One step at a time, too! Don't feel like you need to do more than one or two exercises in a single sitting, unless you're up for it of course. But if you only look at any part of getting good at music via "one step at a time," the whole endeavor really isn't all that hard or intimidating.

"Oh I just have to slightly clean up this song/improve this scale by x,y, or z today" is much more effective and reassuring than "why don't I loving sound like x, y, or z, I want to sound like them by next month drat it!"

It all translates so well to other facets of music that by getting good incrementally, you'll suddenly be really good in other contexts before you even realize what happened.

Thank you! This was really helpful

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Snowy posted:

I don't know poo poo about Hagstrom quality but I've always loved how they look and sound. They're classic but have a legitimate flair and a :aaa: good looking headstock :aaa: if that's local I'd go hang out with it. Assuming the price is right grab it if it feels good.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

nickhimself posted:

edit:

I'm gonna say a practical approach is a much better tool for this. You need to know what makes chords and keys tick, but ultimately, you want to produce music. A guy who knows one position of the minor pentatonic scale and knows why it works + knows the chords in a key, and then noodles around with both is a better guitarist than the one that knows all the scales all over the neck and has never noodled around to a backing track.

Once you're armed with the basics (I would say triads + major and minor scale), try to noodle around with the songs you already know. You'll start seeing licks often outline chords, lead often is cool noodles around the pentatonic etc. You'll also see things that shouldn't work but do - there is a chromatic ascend at the end of Hendrix's version of Hey Joe that doesn't seem like it works on a scale, but it sounds loving cool and the trick there is that it outlines the scale and ends on outlining a chord without lingering on bad notes. Try stopping it a note earlier every time, and you'll quickly notice sometimes the same thing that sounded great sounds loving awful without a single note, then goes back to sounding cool if it ends on a scale note.

This way, you might even intuit other modes and notes that can be adjoined to the scale, and anything you intuit sticks with you forever.

These days, half the time I play hendrixian licks, I play them differently every time and it often sounds loving wicked. And every time it does, I always feel like I'm channeling the soul of Hendrix himself.

Finally, it is a worthwhile endeavour to memorise the notes on the fretboard. The easiest way to do this is to learn notes on the thickest two strings, and then use octaves https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wElX3v3POWU . You can practice this without a guitar - use your downtime on a bus or waiting for lunch at the restaurant! There are apps that quiz you on this poo poo, or you can even do mental practice.

tl;dr that book is probably really good, but you gotta know what to do with your newfound knowledge.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 31, 2017

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Btw: there's a lot of guitar learning you can do without a guitar. If I'm working on a difficult rhythm study, for instance, I can do that on a train. See, I'm a fingerstyle guitarist, so all I do is tap my thumb where I would use my thumb and my index where I would use my index to strum. There's your upstrokes and downstrokes. Tap it harder for accent, tap whole hand for percussive hit. The rhythm suddenly becomes part of you this way, without even touching a guitar.

My drummer friend used to have a lot of trouble staying in time until he started doing 'mental' practice like this. As he says, the rhythm must come from within, not from the drumset.

Probably look like a loving tosser to everyone else on the train, though, but hey, them's the breaks

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 16:47 on May 31, 2017

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I have just spent some quality time learning the touch and dare by Stan Bush.

I regret nothing.

(Also I bought an rg recently, in purple.)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AlphaDog posted:

I'll be really interested to hear how you manage to solve this. Maybe the VST mentioned here could help? https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/how-to-stream-daw-audio-with-an-audio-interface.14792/

The physical audio cable kinda didn't work, but this VST worked perfectly. Just gotta dial down the gain on OBS but yeah, totally works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBLlQ98b_hc

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

dex_sda posted:

cool and good stuff

Your two posts here were awesome; I really appreciate your typing them out. I hadn't considered going to an app for help on quizzing my knowledge of notes/chords/etc. That's a cool idea. Is there an app you'd recommend? I'd like to bridge my practice in Rocksmith with fundamentals that apply to more than just reading tablature, and knowing how to read music plus having the ability to transcribe songs on my own would be great.

I still have a really long way to go, though. Some of these chords have felt really awkward to play, and outside of quickly and accurately fretting different notes on different strings, making chord shapes and playing them correctly (no buzzing or muted strings) has been frustrating. There are several chords I've become much more comfortable with through practice so I know it becomes less of a struggle later on. I'm just at a point right now where I can read and understand some of the notes or chords I need to play, but I can't move fast or accurately enough to hit them. I do understand much of this comes from muscle memory, repetition, and practice, so it's not like I beat myself up for missing notes/chords. Still sucks to be garbage though

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
It isn't a physical book, but an important part of theory that I've learned recently is ear training for notes/scales/octaves/intervals. This is a new focus for me because my end goal is to be able to play what I listen to, and there are never tabs for obscure eastern European post-black bands.

Anyway - the best app I've found so far, on Android at least, is: Perfect Ear

It has ear training tests for scales/intervals/chords, rhythm training, daily practice drills, and all of it backed by fairly in depth (to me) written theory if you want to really drill into the how & why scales/chords/intervals work.

I also really like it because it's the only app I've found where I can specifically choose guitar as my instrument (I've tried tons of these and they are almost all piano-only in base/tone/sound) and so it actually translates better for me in actual practice.

It's free and you can choose to buy portions/all of the extra features individually ($0.99 each) or in bulk ($3 :canada:). I opted to just buy everything and then paid an additional $0.99 to unlock custom exercises which are really cool.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

nickhimself posted:

Your two posts here were awesome; I really appreciate your typing them out. I hadn't considered going to an app for help on quizzing my knowledge of notes/chords/etc. That's a cool idea. Is there an app you'd recommend? I'd like to bridge my practice in Rocksmith with fundamentals that apply to more than just reading tablature, and knowing how to read music plus having the ability to transcribe songs on my own would be great.

I still have a really long way to go, though. Some of these chords have felt really awkward to play, and outside of quickly and accurately fretting different notes on different strings, making chord shapes and playing them correctly (no buzzing or muted strings) has been frustrating. There are several chords I've become much more comfortable with through practice so I know it becomes less of a struggle later on. I'm just at a point right now where I can read and understand some of the notes or chords I need to play, but I can't move fast or accurately enough to hit them. I do understand much of this comes from muscle memory, repetition, and practice, so it's not like I beat myself up for missing notes/chords. Still sucks to be garbage though

GuitarTuna has some chord stuff for sure. Don't know about a fretboard app, I'm just quite sure you can find one. I used some website to do my practice until I was satisfied with the speed and accuracy I achieved

For basic grips (open chords, the main shapes of barre chords), it pays to do dedicated practice. Meticulously set your fingers up, pick each note individually, strum, pick individually, strum, reset etc. You want everything clear. For quick chord switching, there are two good approaches: songs - they force you to speed up to keep time; and if the songs are too fast for your changes, you should do one minute changes, they are the bomb https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXK_If0QzDM. The second one unlocked barres for me far better than songs could. Just pick two chords you find problematic and try to do as many in a minute as possible. It's amazing what two days of doing this does to your speed, and it's literally a couple minutes a day to train multiple chord changes.

Don't forget to play songs, though! That's why you play the guitar, yeah

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 31, 2017

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

TollTheHounds posted:

It isn't a physical book, but an important part of theory that I've learned recently is ear training for notes/scales/octaves/intervals. This is a new focus for me because my end goal is to be able to play what I listen to, and there are never tabs for obscure eastern European post-black bands.
Seconding this. Getting a good handle on what intervals sound like is one of the most useful things you can do if you want to figure out songs, especially rock and metal songs that have a heavy focus on single-line riffs.

(Tabs are useless anyway, 90% of them are made by tone-deaf morons.)

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

The physical audio cable kinda didn't work, but this VST worked perfectly. Just gotta dial down the gain on OBS but yeah, totally works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBLlQ98b_hc

I couldn't figure it out for the life of me, but I'm glad it worked for you.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Learning to read music helps a lot with theory and is a step that so many guitarists skip for some reason.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
After a few attempts when I finally had time, I think I properly shimmed the neck on my strat. Action seems pretty good. Used a combination of one layer of thin cardboard and a layer of paper. Just the right thickness.

However, I am getting some weird shrill noises when I do full step bends on only the G string between the 12th and 15th frets. Doesn't seem to happen anywhere else or with normal fretting and half step bends. It was hard to tell, but I think the noise might be coming from the bridge.

What could even be the problem? Nothing on the bridge seems or feel loose.

Edit: my high e string snapped at the ball end (maybe defective?) And now it stopped happening. Don't have a replacement string, but I have no idea if it is actually fixed.

I have a decked trem. Maybe it was the change in tension that fixed it and I need to tighten the springs a bit.

Gripen5 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 1, 2017

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

magnificent7 posted:

Sweet mother of pearloid.

You got that right. And to think I passed on a $175 "Contemporary" Bullet from the same time period a few months ago. It's now in a local shop for around 3x the price.

Pulled the Lotus neck from the clamps and it looks about as good as I think it can be. Straight edge shows it's still has a teeny backbow, but after being strung up, string height set(5/64 on the low E, 4/64 on the high E), and intonation set it plays very nice and there's no buzz I can detect. With strings I can't see any bow, now I just need to see if it creep back in over the next few days. Hopefully not, but I guess I'll see.

I did change the one tuner, had to mix parts from the original and the junk box one, but it works. Also found a slotted nut, which is for a slightly narrower neck, but the slots are in the right spot. Will work fine for now. Did not end up changing the pots, a blast of contact cleaner fixed the volume pot, and seemed to fix the tone, but the tone pot is nearly seized tight again today. Put on a pair of spare knobs from the junk box, and I can just barley turn it. I'll change it eventually, not a priority.

Plugged in and it actually sounds good to my ears, although I should reglue the colis/magnets/backplates back together because right now the pickups are microphonic as hell. I should also put in a ground wire to the bridge. Weird thing is it has a hole drilled for one, but there was never one installed.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Can I start an argument? I've been listening to clips of pickups lately and I've kind of come to the conclusion that I don't particularly care what pickups I have. When I started I was like "mm yes, this has more of a scooped sound and this other one has more bottom end" but after listening to a bunch I kinda lumped them all as "close enough" to each other that I can't see me spending $200 or whatever for replacements.

This basically came from me looking at what I wanted to do with my guitars (my poor Schecter needs a lotta fixin) and thought about real pickups for my Ascari. Real being not-whatever-they-had-in-the-factory-at-the-time pickups. But after all the research I can't pinpoint anything I dislike about the stock pickups, which is weird because everyone online seems to talk about them being meh-to-bad sounding cheap pickups. I'm not debating that pickups sound different, but they sure as shoot don't seem to be different enough to warrant the money, in my eyes. I should note that this is between pickups of the same type (HB vs HB, P90 vs P90, etc) because single coils definitely sound different to humbuckers and all that.

I plan to replace the pickups in the Schecter, but that's for two reasons. First, I'd like the option of coil splitting and the stock pickups don't do that. Second, I want covered pickups, so yeah, aesthetics. But I think I'll probably just get whatever set from GFS or somewhere local cheap.

Any reason I should consider dropping the cash on Seymour Duncans/Dimarzios/whatever? Or am I broken enough to just grab a set of cheap whatevers? Anyone else feel this way?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

From my experience building kits, it's 100% absolutely definitely worthwhile to get some pickups that aren't the totally poo poo no-name ones that show up in the kit box.

As far as stuff that's not totally poo poo (like, cheap Entwistles through Seymour Duncans to weird expensive stuff I'll never afford), I can hear that stuff sounds different, some better, some worse, but holy poo poo, some of the mid-price stuff that sounds OK is 5 times the price of the low-price stuff that sounds ok, and I haven't ever heard something that was obviously 5 times better.

e: Like, that might be because I'm a fairly poo poo guitarist though.

e2: But with all that said, get ones you like, because otherwise you're going to wish you'd got something else and you'll end up paying for two sets of pickups.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jun 1, 2017

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I've never messed with pickups, but I assume it's less how they sound in clips and more how they react to your actual playing. Sort of like a compressor - people can't necessarily hear it, but when you're playing it makes a big difference compared to when it's off

nickhimself posted:

It's a often a good idea to focus on the thing you're weak at, and just drill that over and over for like 10 minutes. Just practice the changes non-stop, you'll feel an improvement.

Plus it's not just fretting a chord cold, you need to be able to transition form one chord to another, so if you're having trouble with a song then practice the actual change you have to make. Go back and forth, work out which fingers can stay in place between the changes (acting as an anchor) - which sometimes changes the way you fret a chord, to make that transition easier

Also do a warm-up routine before you play. Whatever you like - scales and chord changes and picking patterns, whatever you want to work on. Focused exercises (with a metronome) that get your hands ready, it makes a big difference!

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

baka kaba posted:

I've never messed with pickups, but I assume it's less how they sound in clips and more how they react to your actual playing. Sort of like a compressor - people can't necessarily hear it, but when you're playing it makes a big difference compared to when it's off

It's a often a good idea to focus on the thing you're weak at, and just drill that over and over for like 10 minutes. Just practice the changes non-stop, you'll feel an improvement.

Plus it's not just fretting a chord cold, you need to be able to transition form one chord to another, so if you're having trouble with a song then practice the actual change you have to make. Go back and forth, work out which fingers can stay in place between the changes (acting as an anchor) - which sometimes changes the way you fret a chord, to make that transition easier

Also do a warm-up routine before you play. Whatever you like - scales and chord changes and picking patterns, whatever you want to work on. Focused exercises (with a metronome) that get your hands ready, it makes a big difference!

Yeah, I've already been doing some of that and it does help. There are some phrases I like playing but suck at, so I'll play those a handful of times before or after the song.

The beginning of Hair of the Dog (like 9 seconds in) is a good example of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXz6eMCj2k

I like playing that part, but fat finger frets so some of the notes sound fuzzy or pitch-y. Because of that, I'll play the phrase a handful of times starting out very slowly at first then building up speed until I'm screwing up because I'm being dumb and not just bad. Probably still bad, actually.

I'll try something similar with chords in songs that I fumble on, but progress on that feels much slower. I do see improvement, however, which feels great.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

From my experience building kits, it's 100% absolutely definitely worthwhile to get some pickups that aren't the totally poo poo no-name ones that show up in the kit box.

As far as stuff that's not totally poo poo (like, cheap Entwistles through Seymour Duncans to weird expensive stuff I'll never afford), I can hear that stuff sounds different, some better, some worse, but holy poo poo, some of the mid-price stuff that sounds OK is 5 times the price of the low-price stuff that sounds ok, and I haven't ever heard something that was obviously 5 times better.

e: Like, that might be because I'm a fairly poo poo guitarist though.

e2: But with all that said, get ones you like, because otherwise you're going to wish you'd got something else and you'll end up paying for two sets of pickups.

This is why I swear by Guitar Fetish pickups. They get me 90% there for 30% of the price.

Pickups make enough of a difference for me that I write different stuff based on what I have loaded in my guitar. That said, I seek out pickups that will give me different tones. Swapping between eight different PAF humbuckers is stupid, but going from a Gretch clone to a humbucker sized P90 and back makes a huge difference.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

baka kaba posted:

I've messed with pickups a TON, specifically on pickups that cost less than $40 each, with one exception: Alumitone pickups by Lace. More on those in a few minutes.

For a great primer on what's the difference, go to a music store, play a squier strat, then play a artist signature strat, like a John Mayer or SRV, Jeff Beck, whatever.

I did that and got really really pissed. The SRV guitar sounds holy poo poo amazing, the Squier sounds like a guitar. What's the difference? I couldn't tell you. Louder? Sharper, crisper? Bluer? I don't know. Couldn't tell you.

So I looked at buying some of those - what, Texas Specials? Almost $200 for a set. Yeah nope. I skipped them. Went to Guitar Fetish, emailed them and asked THEM what makes the SRV pickups so awesome, they suggested their blahdy-dahdy pickup set for $40. I got those. Installed them. Once I'd installed them and played my strat, did the heavens open and my ears weeped? No. No they did not. Is it because i bought a cheap set of pickups? No idea. I've swapped those out for the original Fender pickups (US Standard strat) and compared, and yeah, I can't hear any difference. Does that mean there isn't one? Hell no. It means that I'm partially deaf and don't use enough effects that would shine a light on the problem, I guess.

NOW, LET'S TALK ABOUT THOSE ALUMITONES.

Lace made a pickup that's just one long magnet, it looks cool as poo poo, and sounds completely different than standard pole-pieces pickups. It didn't hum, it had microphonic capabilities or some nonsense that made playing with distorted feedback AMAZING. I got the set for $220 or something ridiculous, and loved them because they looked cool as poo poo and sounded cool as poo poo.

I've since sold that guitar, and I have another strat now. I've come CLOSE to buying another set of them, but I don't gig out anymore, and honestly can't justify three $90 strat pickups, regardless HOW amazing they sound.

So there's my 2 cents, my two vague, rambling, contradictory cents.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

I'd actually say changing pickups is probably the easiest, cheapest and biggest tonal change you can make other than buying a whole new amp or guitar. And even then new pickups would make a difference. I've been slowly replacing all the pickups in my guitars with bareknuckles and to me the tonal changes are fairly noticeable. I have a G&L Legacy Deluxe that came with the G&L blade pickups, the guitar played great but it sounded kind of sterile and anemic, so I replaced the pickups with some BKP Sinner pickups and the guitar just sounds 100x better to me now, much richer and thicker tone. The Sinners are a higher output single coil (the G&L blades were relatively higher output as well so not a huge difference there) but still clean up nicely for a nice stratty single coil tone.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

nickhimself posted:

Yeah, I've already been doing some of that and it does help. There are some phrases I like playing but suck at, so I'll play those a handful of times before or after the song.

The beginning of Hair of the Dog (like 9 seconds in) is a good example of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyXz6eMCj2k

I like playing that part, but fat finger frets so some of the notes sound fuzzy or pitch-y. Because of that, I'll play the phrase a handful of times starting out very slowly at first then building up speed until I'm screwing up because I'm being dumb and not just bad. Probably still bad, actually.

I'll try something similar with chords in songs that I fumble on, but progress on that feels much slower. I do see improvement, however, which feels great.

Try this - I see he has an app for it too if you're into that!
https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-115-1MinuteChanges.php
That's a regimented way of challenging yourself and seeing definite progress. You'll have good days and bad days but overall you should start to get stronger, more accurate and nimble, that kind of thing. You won't necessarily get good at all chords (ones you're not practicing I mean) but you'll build up that core technique that helps you play everything better

That's why a practice routine/warmup is a good thing - really you want to hit a lot of different techniques, like circuit training, so you do a bit of everything and just generally get guitar fit or whatever. You don't have to spend hours on it, but focusing on that stuff (especially things you're weak on) with a metronome to gauge and build your precision will make you a better player

The riff you posted is fairly simple (in terms of what's going on I mean) but it's all about the feel, so that's a great thing to work on - you can play it over and over and over, listening carefully to how it sounds and where you make mistakes, or where you just don't quite nail the groove. If there's a particular little flourish you mess up on, just do that bit over and over. Like do you have trouble hitting that bend just right? Practice playing the target note on the fretboard, then do the bent version, then the target note again so your ear can gauge how close you got. Do that over and over and you just get used to how much your finger needs to move. You can do this stuff while you watch TV or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

magnificent7 posted:

NOW, LET'S TALK ABOUT THOSE ALUMITONES.

Lace made a pickup that's just one long magnet, it looks cool as poo poo, and sounds completely different than standard pole-pieces pickups. It didn't hum, it had microphonic capabilities or some nonsense that made playing with distorted feedback AMAZING. I got the set for $220 or something ridiculous, and loved them because they looked cool as poo poo and sounded cool as poo poo.

Those look rad, but then they did this??

I guess what I meant was, I've listened to like a roundup of P90 pickups and yeah, I could hear differences and have a preference for some of them, but it seems like something you could get with EQ anyway. So just listening to clips isn't really going to give you anything - maybe show you what one particular person can achieve with their particular rig, but a lot of that tone is going to come from the amp and whatever else anyway

But when it's you playing, and the sounds you're managing to produce just feel and sound great, you'll have an appreciation for whatever bit of kit you're trying out. Someone else might not be able to hear a massive tonal difference, but hopefully they can hear that it just sounds better, maybe just because you're enjoying yourself and it comes through in your playing

e- lolling at those colour combos at the bottom of the Lace page. "Tone Heroes Aluma Man"

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 1, 2017