Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

LawfulWaffle posted:

I'm v excited to play as my favorite character, Monster Hunter

He's like the Villager, only instead of collecting things he loves to carve things up for their drops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

FirstAidKite posted:

What happened

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726685&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1902

It's the avatars.

EponymousMrYar posted:

So Riker says to Riker 'I say Riker my good fellow, that ol' chap Riker's up to something in the thread. Says that Riker's the one calling other Riker's out on their bad DPS.'
And Riker replies 'What ho Riker I thought it was all about Riker's strategy video's compared to Riker's. And that Riker had to be carried through A12s.'
'Nay Riker, you just have to check his Rikerlogs to verify that. Not that anyone who actually cares uses that site.'
'Riker you silly fop, just because people like to wave their Riker-peen around does not mean that Rikerlogs is a perfectly valid tool for all Riker's to use.'

And then Riker flipped to the left. Turnways.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

I haven't changed my avatar since I registered.. It even fits the size rules from back then. I wonder if I should find ally get a new one. Also the forums name character limit would support my actual nickname, I could change that too! Fascinating.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I looked up the avatar history site SOAP but it looks like it died in March. I know there's a trick to seeing previous avatars through the image address but I forget the specifics.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hell Girls has been removed from steam. Rip Huniepop 2.0

I think they just removed the pantyshot banner, it's still available for me

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I don't even register what a person's avatar is 90% of the time... I do recognise the colours and shapes from the corner of my eye and that's enough to identify who's posting what

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Anyone who has a vaguely humanoid avatar, I just subconsciously read the text of the post as dialogue from that avatar

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Anyone who has a vaguely humanoid avatar, I just subconsciously read the text of the post as dialogue from that avatar

:yeah:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That's the right way to do it

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Mr E posted:

My friends are bad and don't like fighting games and I already have Rev 1 on PS4 so I should probably get it there but I dunno.

Don't you only have to pay half the price for the upgrade if you've already got Rev 1? Just get it on PS4 if that's the case.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

chumbler posted:

Don't set the standard too high or it just becomes expected. I speak from experience.

yeah what's funny is that i actually was setting the bar low, i thought, which i guess just speaks to how incompetent the guy i replaced was

FirstAidKite posted:

:D

Proud of you!

I hope it's not too much of a slog. It'd be great if your new job was something that you enjoyed doing in addition to being good at it :)

i actually do enjoy it! it requires much precision and attention to detail which is a good way to put my OCD to some use :)

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Wow that Marvel Vs Capcom roster leak better be fake or else that game is screwed. There's barely any new characters and the smaller roster makes the game a serious step down from the last one.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Their plan is to sell everyone you'd actually want as DLC I assume

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Yeah that's crazy. Capcom would never be dumb enough to do that. *Street Fighter 5 slides onscreen*

Anyway I've had the same avatar since I joined and I don't plan on changing anytime soon.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
Surely gamers won't fall for such an obvious scam twice

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

FirstAidKite posted:

What happened
it sounds like all the ff14 thread posters got riker as their avatar, and if they try to change it, it goes back to riker in a few minutes

e: oh that's what happens when you tabbed browse

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The White Dragon posted:

it sounds like all the ff14 thread posters got riker as their avatar, and if they try to change it, it goes back to riker in a few minutes

I'm glad I don't post in there, then, I like what I have, and I haven't had it for very long yet.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
That MvC roster makes me seriously think that for some reason they're gonna try and sell half their roster as dlc again, which worked so well for SFxTekken

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tap my mountain posted:

SFV got pretty lukewarm reception all things considered already (granted that means "only" selling a few mil)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

tap my mountain posted:

They didnt fall for it the first time...except me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It would be the third time (SFxT) and its going to do really well because Marvel is Hot now in a way it wasn't when they made a majority of the SF+Marvel games

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is the only downside of my current avatar. I picked it because it looks awesome as gently caress, but it's not like I identify with Immortan Joe or want people to read my posts like he's saying them.

My old av was snake plisskin morphing into big boss and back again in classy black and white.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i never really think of avatars (on here or anywhere) as representing the poster, except when they do, like one of mine did, but even that one was such an inside joke i'm sure nobody on here could possibly have known what it meant

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, but sometimes if an avatar seems agressive, and can influence perception of the tone of an otherwise neutral post.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Snak posted:

Yeah, but sometimes if an avatar seems agressive, and can influence perception of the tone of an otherwise neutral post.

Not to mention if there's really, really bad red text on there.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

precision posted:

i never really think of avatars (on here or anywhere) as representing the poster, except when they do, like one of mine did, but even that one was such an inside joke i'm sure nobody on here could possibly have known what it meant

That's funny, because every time I see your avatar I try to see it as something other than you deciding that threatening a woman with a cattle prod is the best way to represent yourself online. I haven't had much success, but I'm not familiar with the source material so maybe it super empowering or sle thing.

E: it's me, the guy who thinks about avatars.

LawfulWaffle fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 31, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm always headbobbin online or offline

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
honestly the main reason i ever bother changing mine is to throw a few bucks to this dead comedy forum that has, in all for real sincerity, has helped me mellow out about the internet.

shucks i'm gettin' sentimental. wonder if i'll be up to playing any games tonight or if i just catch up on sleep (wife on third shift yet again :( )

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, when this place eventually dies, I will be totally lost.

This is 90% of my interaction with other people.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It's you guys, twitter, tumblr, or discord. And this is the only place that really loves to talk games, outside of Discord - but Discord's more of a case of finding niche chatrooms than general chill places to talk about anything.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

If you want to imagine Missile when I post, I'm all for that.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Snak posted:

Oh yeah?

BITCHERINO
Aug 7, 2016

Harrow posted:

The piracy thing is one of the times when I think his attempt at satire didn't quite land and I wish he'd own up to it.

That video's point is about how Nintendo is abusing copyright law, so his reasoning is that turnabout is fair play: if Nintendo isn't going to respect the rights of creators, that means we're free not to respect their rights as creators. It was supposed to be an over-the-top argument but I don't think it worked, and honestly he probably still stands by it because he enjoys angering people who he thinks are petty.

I think his video where he somehow got Nintendo of Japan and Nintendo of America to make conflicting copyright claims on the same video was a much more compelling argument about Nintendo's copyright nonsense, honestly.

Nintendo has horrible business practices and you should pirate every game you can

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if your avatar is not you,...... hah. post on, i say

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Well, which one is speaking in my avatar? Hint, only one of them is facing the direction of my post.

oddium posted:

if your avatar is not you,...... hah. post on, i say

:yeah:

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

My avatar is carefully crafted. Primary colors disarm the viewer with their simplicity, it's a physical representation of a mildly obscure cartoon indicating a healthy enjoyment of whimsy while being grounded in reality, it has eyes and a mouth to stir empathy in the viewer and give a face to my posts but isn't aggressive or scary, my peach flesh is on display holding the rock (my persona, if you will) so I can be scorned appropriately, like a boulder on campus it can be decorated for different seasons, and it's not anime.

Lol if you don't agonize over the picture next to your posts, just lol

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

My avatar is cool but a rude person changed my title. I don't want to change it back b/c I'm afraid they'll change my avatar to a butt or something.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lurdiak posted:

My avatar is cool but a rude person changed my title. I don't want to change it back b/c I'm afraid they'll change my avatar to a butt or something.

I legit thought you hadn't noticed, now it's not as funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

LawfulWaffle posted:

I looked up the avatar history site SOAP but it looks like it died in March. I know there's a trick to seeing previous avatars through the image address but I forget the specifics.

You just gotta change the number at the end, though it doesn't pick up all the avatars for some reason

• Locked thread