Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

screw it im calling it now i dont like this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm surprised people came away from the game complaining about the deserts, after I saw the swamps.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The swamps are better than the desert.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The swamps are better than the desert.

Disgree, because you have to wait through the poison animation of all your invokes

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tae posted:

Disgree, because you have to wait through the poison animation of all your invokes

I didn't need to invoke in the swamps.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Subvisual Haze posted:

But is it worse than the poison swamps? Celica's path has a map to make you go "oh gently caress you game" for everyone!

For me it was the witch who summons more witches.

I still like the game though.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Only time I used invoke was vs. Duma and even in that fight they ended up being more of a pain than anything since they blocked me out of spaces and aggroed enemies I did not want aggroed.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Did people really have troubles with that witch?

It was one of the simpler maps in the game I thought.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Witches were never an issue for me because they had the defenses of wet tissue paper and for some reason would preferentially go after my archers or mages.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

DoctorStrangelove posted:

Only time I used invoke was vs. Duma and even in that fight they ended up being more of a pain than anything since they blocked me out of spaces and aggroed enemies I did not want aggroed.

Did you use Genny's invoke? Because it's the best since they all die immediately and clog nothing.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Did people really have troubles with that witch?

It was one of the simpler maps in the game I thought.

By that point in the game? No. She was the least of my issues on that particular map. Seeing her summon more witches did make me go "Oh gently caress you, game," though.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Strange Quark posted:

Witches were never an issue for me because they had the defenses of wet tissue paper and for some reason would preferentially go after my archers or mages.

The AI of witches is to attack the edges of your army. So you probably left your tanks inside your "circle" of characters.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Silver Falcon posted:

By that point in the game? No. She was the least of my issues on that particular map. Seeing her summon more witches did make me go "Oh gently caress you, game," though.

It is pretty scary when that happens. But in terms of biggest moments of "oh gently caress you, game" mine is seeing Medusa's description for the first time and realising Duma has upheaval.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Did you use Genny's invoke? Because it's the best since they all die immediately and clog nothing.

Genny's more useful using psychic.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

One thing about witches is they do not scale very well with the rest of the enemies. You'll reach the end of chapter 4 and they'll still have <30 hp and 10-14 speed/attack.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I brought so many mages to the final battle I was able to spare a couple of turns to invoke when I really needed it. Especially once I thinned out the eyeballs and witches a bit.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

is making atlas a merc a trap

it seems so obvious

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Nuibaba's abode is the map I took one look at and went 'gently caress it. Warp/Rescue Cheese strat.'

Cake Attack posted:

it seems so obvious

More Dread Fighters is never ever a trap.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

it seems so obvious

Make him an archer. 1 archer is not enough.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Make him an archer. 1 archer is not enough.

archers suck

make him a merc

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

Nuibaba's abode is the map I took one look at and went 'gently caress it. Warp/Rescue Cheese strat.'

More Dread Fighters is never ever a trap.

You can have way too many Mercs, make Atlas an Archer or actually a Mage. Rescue would be SUPER good for Celica's army.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

The AI of witches is to attack the edges of your army. So you probably left your tanks inside your "circle" of characters.

That would make sense. Though I never really sent anyone out to "tank" magic. It was so much easier just to snipe kill whatever was in range.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

archers suck

make him a merc

Archers break most of the maps. Atlas especially since he has absurd strength.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Mages with Mage Rings break most of the maps. Atlas especially since he has absurd strength.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
pegasus knights and mages can do anything archers can do except without sucking rear end

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

pegasus knights and mages can do anything archers can do except without sucking rear end

They can't counter archers or mages with mire or death. Nor can they kill conjurers from safe distances where they will not immediately be swarmed by nearby enemies.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

Anyone with range 5 and a +30 hit attack by definition does not suck rear end

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Cake Attack posted:

screw it im calling it now i dont like this game

Why so?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Heaven Spacey posted:

Anyone with range 5 and a +30 hit attack by definition does not suck rear end

I was pretty impressed how much they managed to suck despite their 5 range

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Archers have been way better than Peg Knights for 3 runs now, your playstyle makes them suck

Like I seriously don't know how you deal with the eyeballs destroying peg knights outside of heavy grinding.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Also, hot take: i liked the grieth/desert maps. RIP to the dozen spooky ghost boyz exorcised by wolff and his archer army

cheetah7071 posted:

idk, I have Leon and Python with Iron Bows and Curved Shot and they're consistently very helpful, especially versus Arcanists/Cantors and entrenched Snipers. My Tobin has enough skill that he does huge damage with his Steel Bow to targets that Clair, Mathilda, or Clive can then move in and finish off easily. I'm only just now finishing up Act 3 so maybe they get way worse later?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Heaven Spacey posted:

idk, I have Leon and Python with Iron Bows and Curved Shot and they're consistently very helpful, especially versus Arcanists/Cantors and entrenched Snipers. My Tobin has enough skill that he does huge damage with his Steel Bow to targets that Clair, Mathilda, or Clive can then move in and finish off easily. I'm only just now finishing up Act 3 so maybe they get way worse later?

No, they actually get better as the game goes on because of Killer Bows being the best weapons in the game. 50+ crit chance, brave effect. And they get bonus damage against half the enemies in late game.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i gave python a killer bow and he basically became the guy that fixes any bad decision i make

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

that post was 75% me being salty at losing a map and then resetting before i remembered the turnwheel, but poo poo like the random encounters and dungeons moves away from what i think fire emblem has always done well by introducing mindless fat, and the maps are either undesigned or actively designed to be frustrating

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Atlas can be an archer postgame after he loops through Dread Fighter and actually gets some Speed to use.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

so do i get whichever of deen and sonya i fight, or whichever i avoid?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

Whoever you fight, you kill. So Deen fight=Sonya.

Besides the fact that Sonya is a fast mage and Deen is another billionth merc on Celica's team, Sonya has some main story connections.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don't mind the dungeons too much honestly, they're pretty ok. I'm really against the way they do overworld random battles though. Like, I know the purpose of having them constantly push forward to attack you is to kinda press the player to move up and defeat the map where they all originate from, and can encourage players to pick a certain path and everything, but sometimes I want to grind base conversations by going to different towns, or promote someone, or get something forged or just play the other army for a while, and being forced to do random battles while doing those things is super lame.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

Tae posted:

Whoever you fight, you kill. So Deen fight=Sonya.

Besides the fact that Sonya is a fast mage and Deen is another billionth merc on Celica's team, Sonya has some main story connections.

Deen can become a Dread Fighter though, so Deen is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Cake Attack posted:

You get the person you didn't fight. I killed Deen and got a kickin' rad Brave Sword for it, I don't know what Sonya gives you, but Sonya's also a pretty good unit and I like her conversations.

Pureauthor posted:

Atlas can be an archer postgame after he loops through Dread Fighter and actually gets some Speed to use.

I'm at the start of my first playthrough and I made Atlas an archer and slapped a steel bow on him. With heavy draw he does around 30 damage from across the map, it's great.

• Locked thread