Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

xthetenth posted:

No, you pick a plane from 1945-1955 to pilot into thunderdome, then our order in that determines which of those planes we pick.

To be fair this is the exact same mistake I made when I read it. That there were actually two disparate sets of garbage planes on the menu escaped me until I re-read it several times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

power crystals posted:

To be fair this is the exact same mistake I made when I read it. That there were actually two disparate sets of garbage planes on the menu escaped me until I re-read it several times.

I had to reread it twice too. Otherwise I would've been snarky or something. :v:

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Can we get the Spruce Goose but done up like a gunship.

Some kind of AH-4 Spooky Goose?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

power crystals posted:

I only see the one list, so i guess we just pick a random Soviet aircraft?

Yak 25

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

TildeATH posted:

If it's in the DB...

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
Tu-95

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-aLsJbTOxs

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Slaan posted:

Yak 25

As I understand it:

1: you guys pick some random thing from 46-55.
2: once you all make a selection (not sure what happens if someone has stopped reading the thread), thunderdome
3: thunderdome determines priority to choose from the 8 listed at the bottom which we then keep until the end of the theater

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Slaan posted:

Yak 25

Nah

First you pick any plane in the cold war database from 1946-1955. Then, depending on how you place in the thunderdome, you get a pick of the wacky willie plane list.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I should totally have taken a featherweighted B-36 with strict orders to fly at max altitude, shouldn't I?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

power crystals posted:

As I understand it:

1: you guys pick some random thing from 46-55.
2: once you all make a selection (not sure what happens if someone has stopped reading the thread), thunderdome
3: thunderdome determines priority to choose from the 8 listed at the bottom which we then keep until the end of the theater

This is correct.

In regards to Cobbie and our "other" mercs. Cobbie will take the place of our PMC on the ground and will be available for more "creative" missions. If you have an intense urge to throw them at a problem they will now try to do the mission. We'll abstract it out and likely get some sort of result, even if it isn't the desired one.

On the downside no one will get stabbed in the neck with scissors.

No offense to Phi, he had a massive undertaking. This thread moves fast and our missions go together quicker. I applaud him for his efforts, hopefully someone makes a Phoenix Command PC Game someday and he can relive his dreams in a less spergtastic fashion.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Yooper posted:

My finest hour and redemption for getting shot down. :allears:

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Yooper posted:

Challenge accepted.

omegasgundam
Mar 30, 2010
Here's an write in to explain why we have access to old NATO munitions that work and don't have a shortage of them. Also features 3 paragraphs for why the I-HAWK is a good early investment for impoverished countries and start-up PMCs. Next up, I'm going to hand wave a magical method of rejuvenating old air-frames and/or come up with a more professional and higher quality version of Wacky Wally. Expect factory fresh F-4s, F-5s, Mig-21bis, Su-15TMs, Mig-23MLDs, SU-17M-4s, and Mig-27Ms to flood the third hand market soon.

Success Down South: Bandito Munitions Gives Mexico It’s First Domestic Military Armament Exporter.
published in the January 2023 edition of the Economist

Like many success stories of these strange times, the Bandito Munitions is unlikely in origin and opportunistic in venture. Founded in early 2020 by long suspected former-gang leader Jaucine Vindelets, the company as proven to be spectacularly successful despite it’s self proclaimed nature as a professional knock off manufacturer. Proudly proclaiming itself as the “World Leader in Genuine Imitation Last and Second to Last Generation NATO Standard Ordinance”, Bandito has become the leading source of new production of older munitions designs. The first product of the company were reproductions of the 1995 MIM-23K Improved HAWK surface to air missile, along with the affiliated launching and guidance equipment. Proudly proclaimed as the “B-HAWK”, or “Bootleg-HAWK”, the system retains essentially the same combat performance while reducing production costs with substantially more modern production techniques. While far less capable than more modern SAM systems, such as the famous Patriot and the more recent French build Mamba, the B-HAWK has one fundamental advantage over both of them.

Rock bottom cost.

A modern MIM-104D Patriot missile cost around $3 million USD. An Aster-30 used by the Mamba has a currently estimated to cost between $20 and $30 million USD, thanks to it’s associated research and development fees. The MIN-23N B-Hawk costs a mere $200 thousand USD. The only western non-MANPAD SAM system with a lower cost per missile is the Israeli “Iron Dome”, which is specialized in shooting down incoming munitions, at $40 thousand USD each. And this is just the cost of munitions. The majority of the Iron Dome’s cost comes from the launching and control system, at $50 million USD for a set of 3 launchers, a search radar, and a fire control system. The B-HAWK costs $20 million USD for 6 launchers, two target illuminators, an (admittedly less capable) search radar, a fire control system, 3 reload vehicles, and 12 munition storage trailers. This incredibly low introductory cost is extremely attractive for first time buyers, and avoids having to deal with the increasingly belligerent Russia or now fractured China. Unusually, Bandito primarily sells its products through the nascent field of military retailers, rather than dealing directly with the end user.

According to Bandito, the B-HAWK is primarily meant as a low to mid level deterrent against budget constrained opposition. As has been repeatedly proven in an annuls of recent military history, any sufficiently capably enemy will be able to break through any defensive measure is they are willing and able to pay the cost. The B-HAWK raises the expected neutralization costs in an attempt at discouraging them from trying in the first place. While the 22 nautical mile range of the system is completely inadequate compared to the 55 nautical mile range of the Patriot or the 40 nautical miles of the equivalent Russian SA-17 Grizzly, it is still much greater than the effective range of most unpowered guided bombs and is capable of intercepting guided missile. While glide bombs such as the now notorious GBU-39/B Small Diameter Bomb or long range anti-radar missiles such as the AGM-88 HARM are able to neutralize the system in short order, aircraft that are capable of utilizing those forms of munitions are themselves not a cheap investment.

As such, single most important contribution of the B-HAWK is the prevention of “casual” smart bombing. Individual aircraft without standoff munitions are no longer able to bombard their targets at leisure, resulting in significantly less damage being done to friendly forces. While attempts by massed aircraft to break through will succeed, that requires a sufficient strength available to be massed in the first place. Even in today’s world of reckless government liquidation, most third world countries simply do not have enough aircraft to needlessly risk on such an attempt without due cause. Many modern PMC’s, primarily air based ones, also find that a battery or two of B-HAWKs are useful as a cost effective form of insurance against leaking enemies, buying time until more capable forces can deal with the problem.

The B-HAWK has proven so commercially successful that they have constantly had to increase factory production capacity since their first offerings. Vindelets quickly moved to expand the company's portfolio to include further popular reproductions, starting with the AIM-9L/M models of Siderwinders (re-branded as the Strait Bullet), commonly used NATO air to air munitions than have been out of production for almost a quarter of a century, at the relatively low price of $150K. These new missiles were quickly snatched up by many current operators, who had long been worried about the age and size of their remaining stockpiles, yet were discouraged from buying the more advanced and expensive AIM-9X models. As of last year, their catalog has expanded to include equivalents to the AIM-7M/P Sparrow (Loggerhead) and the Paveway II (Forest Trail) series of laser guided bombs, which does much the explain the relative ubiquity of those forms of munitions in among modern military circles.

Bandito, as self mockingly racist as the name may be, is quickly become a giant in the Mexican economy, and is now the single largest domestically owned high tech electronics company with well over 4000 full time employees. Considering the “difficulties” that American companies have had over the past half a decade, it may soon become the single largest operating in Mexico altogether. Further avenues of expansion have been subject to increasingly outlandish rumors among defense industry insiders. The most plausible of which is that Bandito is in the midst of negotiating with with Raytheon for a possible design license for the AIM-120B AMRAAM. Raytheon, currently taxed to capacity in producing much more capable and modern munitions, seems poised to accept such an offer. A more outlandish but extremely persistent rumor is that Vindelets plans to venture into what is being referred to as “aircraft re-manufacturing”, although the exact details for that this would entail are scant at best.

Bandito has been the beneficiary of several important factors. An unexploited product niche, improved manufacturing technology, a reasonably technically proficient and available work-base, overtaxed and disoriented competitors, and geopolitical instability causing the market demand to balloon dramatically. To put is simply, they were at the right place at the right time with the right idea. This is combined with a surprising lack of interference from the traditional Mexican industrial complication, the pervasive criminal cartels. The most commonly accepted explanation for this is that as the first major domestic military arms manufacturer, the government is expected to be extraordinary protective of it, to the point of quite possibly unrestrained (and likely illegal) martial law. As such, the major cartels have decided to avoid provoking the inevitable response, and decided to focus in influencing the retail side of the equation, with unknown results thus far.

Recently however, Bandito has received competition from an unexpected source, Scimitar Dynamics of Iran. Offering a similar range knock offs at comparable prices, the state sponsored company has substantial market penetration among primarily Muslim and/or western skeptic countries and organizations. While it has not been proven that Scimitar products have reached the hands of terrorist organizations, many consider it to be merely a matter of time. Israel, who has long considered Iran to be an existential threat, is not pleased by this development, but no open response has so far been issued. Vindelets, in his characteristic boisterous yet self deprecating manner, has proclaimed that he “will crush these upstarts who have stolen his own stolen idea”, and that he looked forward to the future confrontation. When asked if he meant in terms of economic or military means his answer was, somewhat predictably, “Yes”.

omegasgundam fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 31, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I love this fantastic teetering rickety death trap of a world. :allears:

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I don't think I've been on the map yet, but if I'm eligible I'll have another Yak-25.

Hmmm, launched in 1955 and looks pretty sweet. Something to be proud of, but maybe I can find a lovely Mig...

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 1, 2017

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
You can always find a lovely Mig. It's like, a rule or something.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Your voice actor for Cobbie is really good. I hope he didn't cost you too much, because the production values on this one sound a bit higher than what we are used to.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Yooper posted:

This is correct.

In regards to Cobbie and our "other" mercs. Cobbie will take the place of our PMC on the ground and will be available for more "creative" missions. If you have an intense urge to throw them at a problem they will now try to do the mission. We'll abstract it out and likely get some sort of result, even if it isn't the desired one.

No offense to Phi, he had a massive undertaking. This thread moves fast and our missions go together quicker. I applaud him for his efforts, hopefully someone makes a Phoenix Command PC Game someday and he can relive his dreams in a less spergtastic fashion.

He's said in that thread he's on vacation right now (considering he jsut had his finals, seems fair). Our groundpounders will be back. :getin:

orcbuster
May 17, 2017

Just want to say again that this LP is amazing and the work yooper puts in, plus the fluff added by the rest of us really makes this world come alive.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

TildeATH posted:

I think you mean the Spook Goose. :colbert:

(I know the aircraft you're referencing is called a "Spooky" but it flows better this way)

I'm gonna third the other two guys, this LP - and everyone's contributions - is a treasure.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Gimmick Account posted:

Your voice actor for Cobbie is really good. I hope he didn't cost you too much, because the production values on this one sound a bit higher than what we are used to.

The gentleman doing Cobbie is one of our own. Whether or not he doxx's himself is up to him.

I'll get the new vote up this evening as well. We've got a few new plans. I'll squeeze in the airplane thunderdome prior to the mission.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gimmick Account posted:

:parrot:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Pick 3 (three). We're back to instant runoff land.

24'ish hours till voting is closed. Remember : Pick 3! With your Favorites up front.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

1. Half-rear end
2. Hot'n Bothered
3. Haiku

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
1. Half-rear end
2. Salaryman
3. Frostbite

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

1. Half-rear end
2. Salaryman
3. Haiku

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

1. Haiku
2. Half-rear end
3. Salaryman

omegasgundam
Mar 30, 2010
1. Half-rear end
2. Salaryman
3. Frostbite

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013
1) Frostbite
2) Hot and Bothered
3) This space intentionally left blank

Half-rear end, Haiku and Salaryman all leave that Mamba battery alone. That's not a smart decision from my point of view. If it remains operational, its radar will provide intelligence to BSNC as to what we are doing, when we are doing it and potentially let them prepare an ambush for our aircraft when they're running low on ordnance and fuel. This is beyond unacceptable.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
1. Half-rear end
2. Frostbite
3. Salaryman

I liked what was done with Op Haiku, but I :effort: to decipher it means it lost out.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009

1. Half-rear end
2. Salaryman
3. Hot N' Bothered

Also, for those worried about O GOD THE MAMBA WILL KILL OUR LANDING PLANES, keep in mind that the BSNC also has to worry about Iceberg coming over and blowing up their poo poo too, not just us. Placing the Mamba where it can have our AB in range means that they have only 20 NM of buffer range to work with if stuff is spotted inbound to Savoonga. With 50 NM from the SAM to Savoonga, that is very little margin to shoot down inbound stuff, and anything that the SAM misses on the first shot is unlikely to have time to have a second shot to reach it. I would not be taking that kind of risk if i was BSNC.

Nick Esasky fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 1, 2017

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
1. Half-rear end
2. Salaryman
3. Hot N' Bothered

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

Nick Esasky posted:

Also, for those worried about O GOD THE MAMBA WILL KILL OUR LANDING PLANES, keep in mind that the BSNC also has to worry about Iceberg coming over and blowing up their poo poo too, not just us. Placing the Mamba where it can have our AB in range means that they have only 20 NM of buffer range to work with if stuff is spotted inbound to Savoonga. With 50 NM from the SAM to Savoonga, that is very little margin to shoot down inbound stuff, and anything that the SAM misses on the first shot is unlikely to have time to have a second shot to reach it. I would not be taking that kind of risk if i was BSNC.

On the other hand, who's higher on the Iceberg shitlist, us or BSNC? If I were the BSNC planners, I'd take that into account and thus would position the Mamba in such a place that it can take out some Hired Goons planes on takeoff, where they don't have the energy to evade inbound missiles.

There's also the possibility that Yooper makes a mistake or is distracted and our planes try to land from the south.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

1: Half-rear end
2: Salaryman
3: Haiku

gently caress dealing with the Mamba. Make that Mitsuhashi's problem. Let's do exactly the job we were asked to; if they want more than that they'll have to help us. This is like, corporate politics 101.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

1) Salaryman
2) Half-rear end
3) Haiku

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
1. Hot N' Bothered
2. Half-rear end
3. Salaryman

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
1. Haiku
2. Salaryman
3. Half-rear end

I vote by the most fool proof method. I choose only the plans with great names

Quinntan
Sep 11, 2013

power crystals posted:

gently caress dealing with the Mamba. Make that Mitsuhashi's problem. Let's do exactly the job we were asked to; if they want more than that they'll have to help us. This is like, corporate politics 101.

I don't think Mitsuhashi is going to care all that much about a SAM battery when they don't operate aircraft. Right now, we're the only thing that it threatens, and if we don't move to take it out, Mitsuhashi won't order us to do so because it doesn't directly effect them, only us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

1. Frostbite
2. Haiku
3. salaryman