Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

mind the walrus posted:

Mortal Kombat/Injustice-style fighting games are clunky chunky garbage and I hate that NetheRealm is so good at giving them spectacle. I've hated every second of Injustice I've played, but I watched the whole of the cutscenes on YT because it's sadly the best DC story told in the last 7 years.

Netherrealms has stuck to the MKX formula and it is getting very tiresome. Injustice 2 was nothing special, if you've played any Netherrealms game in the last, well, yeah 7 years, you've played it.

basic hitler posted:

I'm late to the party here but Planescape: Torment EE is the best rpg ever made.

"EE" Is that "expanded edition"? The one where they add a whole bunch of content that got cut in the original?

Planescape Torment > all other bioware/tsr games def.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a bone to pick posted:

Injustice 2 is the best fighting game ever made
:getin:
https://giant.gfycat.com/DenseCarefreeBlackpanther.mp4

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Vegetable posted:

3D is a huge scourge on modern video gaming. To get realistic, detailed 3D, you have to spend an insane amount of money like the AAA titles.

Few alternatives exist. Some have embraced a primitive, retro look, such as Minecraft. But that's getting old really fast. There's only so far you can push that envelope, and I don't think it works particularly well for immersive story-telling.

What most games have settled on is a half-assed ugly-butt 3D that doesn't stand up under scrutiny. The problem is most egregious on the DS/3DS, but even PC games suffer. 3D indie games are often so god drat ugly.

At least in 2D, you could get a clean, detailed style. You could get colorful, lively sprites and rich backgrounds. True, you're missing a whole dimension of immersion, but at least it wasn't so god drat ugly.

games can look fine with a retro look, minecraft's visual design is literally programmer art by a neckbeard fedora

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSoRbNs9bDk

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
devil daggers is really really good and while its not for everyone if you like skill based movement and competetive leaderboards its fuckin perfect. its immaculate. i cannot think of a thing i would change

the real issue is that it's not cool for games to have tight design goals anymore. like yeah you can just happen upon good gameplay by slapping a bunch of poo poo together like minecraft or like ubisoft titles but you wont get the same result if you sit down with a clear goal beyond 'im maeking a game'

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

phasmid posted:

Netherrealms has stuck to the MKX formula and it is getting very tiresome. Injustice 2 was nothing special, if you've played any Netherrealms game in the last, well, yeah 7 years, you've played it.

"EE" Is that "expanded edition"? The one where they add a whole bunch of content that got cut in the original?

Planescape Torment > all other bioware/tsr games def.

they add widescreen support and some new features too. i'm aware you can mod a lot of this in but i loving hate modding things and yeah, it makes the game playable with modern sensibilities.

I wish i could say the same for baldurs gate 1. Cheesy rear end game.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rutibex posted:

these are features not bugs

that just means you've become an npc.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

GreatGreen posted:

Zelda breath of the wild is boring.

Maybe it gets better eventually but around hour 50 or so where I am now, it's just boring. Oh look a cool landmark to explore in the distance oh wonderful yet another shrine/korok seed how exciting this is only the thousandth one I've seen today.

A game that "gets good eventually" but takes 50+ hours to get there is not a good game.

Breath of the wild sounds a lot like shadow of the colossus. At least the poo poo everyone talks about in it does

VideoTapir fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 31, 2017

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
far cry 3 was pretty fun if you realize you're not supposed to use guns (unless you're pulling one out of a hostage's holster)

normally i would never pay attention to a scoring system in an fps, but it became clear very early on that it was intended to point out to people that projectile weapons were lame as hell and its all about trying to chain an entire outpost in one go.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Crashing in games is bullshit. Not like crashing cars, that's fun as hell. Some racing sims don't let you crash and explode and that's why they suck. I mean, blank screen, error message, hell, maybe just restart your loving computer.

I been playing a game of Shogun and I have three armies attacking Kyoto and every time I'm about 10 minutes in, BAM. Crash. I'm too tired to troubleshoot this so I'm letting my anger out.

Crashing. Whoever thought of adding this feature to games - gently caress 'em. Piece of poo poo only in it for the money ruin my goddamn game gently caress.

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
XCOM and XCOM 2 are some of the buggiest piece of poo poo games I've ever played, requiring constant patching and reinstallations to fix. It is so poorly architected that simply rotating the camera or going into the menu during gameplay can cause it to lock up.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

phasmid posted:

Crashing in games is bullshit. Not like crashing cars, that's fun as hell. Some racing sims don't let you crash and explode and that's why they suck. I mean, blank screen, error message, hell, maybe just restart your loving computer.

I been playing a game of Shogun and I have three armies attacking Kyoto and every time I'm about 10 minutes in, BAM. Crash. I'm too tired to troubleshoot this so I'm letting my anger out.

Crashing. Whoever thought of adding this feature to games - gently caress 'em. Piece of poo poo only in it for the money ruin my goddamn game gently caress.

Lol you sound like you have a poo poo computer there

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Fairly reproducible crashes, that are affecting you and not other people, is usually bad RAM.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Golden age rpgs (1985-1994) are universally better than platinum age rpgs (1995-2002)

Branching off of that, Fountain of Dreams is a good and cool game for good and cool people.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
"golden age?"

"platinum age?"

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Think wasteland vs fallout 1 or Bards tale vs baldur's gate

Or just google it ya dunce

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
1. regardless where you're getting it, that's dumb as hell.
2. I just did, the dates that come up don't match yours
3. No article I found save one which doesn't assign dates would put Crono Trigger and FFVI in the same "age."
4. This is dumb as hell.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

VideoTapir posted:

3. No article I found save one which doesn't assign dates would put Crono Trigger and FFVI in the same "age."
4. This is dumb as hell.

Your comments are copper, mine are platinum

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VideoTapir posted:

4. This is dumb as hell.

Chrono trigger and final fantasy arent rpgs, they are turn based adventure games.

If you actually played CRPGs youd know the difference between the two eras but that would require a modicum of effort that you've foregone because you can't play anything older than 2 decades if it isn't a console game.

SpaceClown fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 31, 2017

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SpaceClown posted:

Which age does Diablo 1 fit into?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The SCUMM interface is a cumbersome piece of crap, and any adventure game that has a free-text option where you can punch in anything sucks.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SpaceClown posted:

Lol the only way this might be true is if you grew up in that era of gaming and even then ehh. I played a fair number of shareware games like a space rpg and some fantasy shlock from that era. Stuff I cant remember the names of because its so far back in my memory. There was something weirdly tactile about a lot of those old pc games but for the most lart they were just shiiiiiiiiit

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

SpaceClown posted:

Chrono trigger and final fantasy arent rpgs, they are turn based adventure games.

If you actually played CRPGs youd know the difference between the two eras but that would require a modicum of effort that you've foregone because you can't play anything older than 2 decades if it isn't a console game.

If you find just the right position for the goalposts, you'll win!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

mind the walrus posted:

The SCUMM interface is a cumbersome piece of crap, and any adventure game that has a free-text option where you can punch in anything sucks.

Free-text interfaces were a cool idea that just never covered enough possible relevant keywords. It might be doable now with modern taxonomic systems. That's a mechanic whose time may have finally arrived.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

If you find just the right position for the goalposts, you'll win!

JRPGs are not talked about in the same breath as CRPGs/WRPGs. They're pretty fundamentally different kinds of game. this is well understood by people who like either kind of game. it's fine if you don't give a poo poo but it's not really goalpost moving

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

SpaceClown posted:

I know nothing about this but lol at this post

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

"If you actually played CRPGs" he said, Fatly

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

"If you actually played CRPGs" he said, Fatly

Kuato agrees with me

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

basic hitler posted:

Lol the only way this might be true is if you grew up in that era of gaming and even then ehh. I played a fair number of shareware games like a space rpg and some fantasy shlock from that era. Stuff I cant remember the names of because its so far back in my memory. There was something weirdly tactile about a lot of those old pc games but for the most lart they were just shiiiiiiiiit

I never played a DOS rpg before 2012.

Fallout just can't compare to Wasteland in any aspect

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

VideoTapir posted:

Free-text interfaces were a cool idea that just never covered enough possible relevant keywords. It might be doable now with modern taxonomic systems. That's a mechanic whose time may have finally arrived.
It's possible but it still seems specious because the system has to be so comprehensive and able to compensate for player variants (e.g: floodplains to the south vs. southern floodplains vs. nearby plains vs. swampy area vs. spot next to forest) that it would only be doable with like, proprietary Google algorithms and even then only so well.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

i can't believe anyone is arguing with space clown. he's too loving stupid to be a moridin rereg so where does that leave you guys ??

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

there are people who legitimately like wasteland more than fallout. They're dumb idiots about 10-15 years my senior on average, but they exist. it's not like he's taking an outrageous position

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wow guys, sorry i thought this was the unpopular video games thread.

Ill just pack up so you can continue your alternative video games circlejerk

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

SpaceClown posted:

Golden age rpgs (1985-1994) are universally better than platinum age rpgs (1995-2002)

Branching off of that, Fountain of Dreams is a good and cool game for good and cool people.

play rogue-likes, people still make those and cool ones come out every year

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

beep by grandpa posted:

Are we airing our grievances here like men or composing D&D research papers,drat

If this were D&D all unpopular opinions would be banned, so this would be the ultimate honeypot thread

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

SpaceClown posted:

Ok so what exactly are the attributes a game needs to possess to qualify as a 'rpg'? Turn based adventure game doesn't really make any sense as an adventure game is typically defined as a narrative experience that centers around solving obscure puzzles using items you find in the environment.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

SpaceClown posted:

Wow guys, sorry i thought this was the unpopular video games thread.

Ill just pack up so you can continue your alternative video games circlejerk

you're free to share but you are not free to do so without being criticized!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

Ok so what exactly are the attributes a game needs to possess to qualify as a 'rpg'? Turn based adventure game doesn't really make any sense as an adventure game is typically defined as a narrative experience that centers around solving obscure puzzles using items you find in the environment.

some effort put into a story that can be completed in a non-linear fashion and the freedom for a player to define their role and play it in the game.

mostly the latter, but if a game lacks either of these it's pretty much guaranteed to just be an adventure game. example: system shock is not an rpg, but system shock 2 is.

also how doesn't that make sense, because that's literally what JRPGs became in the great watering down of the late 80s that JRPGs went through.

in this case "golden" and "platinum" ages when discussed re: rpgs, it's almost always going to be about CRPGs (whether those are JRPGs or WRPGs. Japanese CRPGs do exist but they tend to be extremely rare and obscure. The most well known in this time period would probably be The Screamer) and is safe to assume that's the genre being discussed.

basic hitler posted:

you're free to share but you are not free to do so without being criticized!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and your criticism isn't immune to criticism :smug:

SpaceClown fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 31, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

DoomRL is one of the best Rogue likes I've played. It's graphics and interface help but it has this almost action-like vibe despite being turn based and it's hard as balls.

https://drl.chaosforge.org/

I know this is the unpopular opinions thread and maybe this opinion will be unpopular but totally check it out if you have even a tiny interest in the genre

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

SpaceClown posted:

some effort put into a story that can be completed in a non-linear fashion and the freedom for a player to define their role and play it in the game.

its why system shock is not an rpg but system shock is.

also how doesn't that make sense, because that's literally what JRPGs became in the great watering down of the late 80s that JRPGs went through.
Well then any final fantasy with a job system qualifies, wouldn't you say? Final Fantasy XII also gave you the freedom to define the role your characters played in battle. Persona very much gives you the freedom to define the role the protagonist plays both in how they react to the plot as well as in battle. Consider this, using the metric you just laid out, Nethack is not an RPG. Your role as a player is entirely defined by the starting race and class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Rutibex posted:

i do occasionally. waiting for the new DF update that's gonna flesh out adventure mode a ton.

my personal reccomendation in this vein as of late is Armored Commander, which is a really great roguelite (its basically nothing like rogue) where you play as a commander of a Sherman tank in WW2. Very unique and very fun.